BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Heavenlyrabbit

Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery

A beer flavored with marsh arrow grass, yew berries, purple foxglove, and giant hogweed.

I don't get any beer, but I do smell a lot of grassy/aquatic notes. It makes me think of fresh mown lawn thats slightly damp after a heavy rain, mixed with some sort of flower.

I think I like it.

No beer at all (not that I would've enjoyed that) but the stale stink of stagnant swamp comes out loud and clear. The Hogweed so much so I feel as if I'm being assailed by mosquitoes this very minute...and itching too. Yick.

I got a frimp from the Lab of this and I love it. My confused nose seems to think it smells creamy, a little coconutty. No wonder I'm not great at picking scents by their notes! But either way I'm very happy with it.

In the Bottle: Growing things. That's literally what this smells like in the imp. Happy I'm not getting hops!

Wet: I'm still getting green growing things- this actually does smell "marsh" like.

Drydown: Hmmmm... I don't think that I'm liking this. It's not like anything that I've tried from the Lab before. I think that this could be a really nice, "home-y" scent on someone else, but it's just not liking my skin chemistry.

2.5/5

In the imp: green, wet, and ... apples?

Applied: Sweet, sticky green apples. Yeah, I know there's no apple in this, but that's what it reminds me of.

Drydown: Wow, this faded way too fast. Within 4 hours, it's gone. There's not even a hint of anything left to morph into something else. This'll be going into the trade pile.

Love the name of this one ;)

First I do get the beer tones with something I can't put my finger on. The scent is more beer smelling than anything on me. I loved it out of the imp but on my skin it smells like spilled beer .... Which is never a good thing. I'm going to wait and try this again a month or so.

Dried grasses, something herbal/menthol (think Ricola cough drops), and oh yes, beer. But mostly dried grasses and herbs. More wearable than Roadhouse since the beer note isn't that strong.

The first time I smelled this in the imp, my reaction was "EW CELERY EW EW EW."

I'm not sure if my nose was completely out of whack or what, but after that initial sniff, things improved vastly. I still smell a note that reminds me of celery, but it's more in the background. It's a sharp, astringent, herbal scent. On me, it dries to something very green-smelling, a little medicinal, bitter, with just a hint of something vaguely fruity.

I didn't think it resembled beer at the time, but a few days after I had an IPA for the first time in a while, and the scent is actually a lot like the aftertaste of an IPA.

In the bottle - Freshly pulled up weeds

Wet on me - Fresh bright green soup, now with added celery

Dry on me - Fresh green and sappy

Overall - Not really my cup of tea

This imp is old. Also I have no idea what any of the notes smells like except beer and grass ( of course).

In the bottle: A greenish refreshing smell with an ozonish tinge to it.

On my skin: Grass! And something that reminds me of beer shampoos ( so I am guessing the beer note) mixed with a bit of ozone. Pleasant and fresh. :) A couple of minutes later I feel the beer note become more prominent and the grass fade out ( no trace of ozone). Like I said, it reminds me of beer shampoos - namely the one my grandmother used to wash her hair with in the past. It is a sweet scent that reminds me of beer in the context of my memories of my grandmother which also makes it nostalgic to me.

About a quarter of the hour or so later I notice that it changes yet again, the beer shampoo note becoming lighter and another greenish sweet one accompanying it.

Drydown: Faint beer note.

Wet, this is a mix of boozy bread and herbs. The beer note reminds me a lot of Mari Lwyd throughout. As it dries, it keeps being bready herby beer, and a fruit note starts to emerge. At about the 2-hour mark, it smells a little burnt or toasted for a while, and then turns to a soft bready cloud. This is really close to the progression of Mari Lwyd on me, so I'm concluding that I amp beer and turn it really bready. If you like Mari Lwyd, try Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery, and vice versa. The supporting notes are really different, but the beer makes them cousins.

Beer scents don't tend to do well on me, but this one is nicely blended with grasses and daffodil, so it's a light, lovely, slightly resinous scent. Very mellow, and a little sweet.

I've been referring to this as Microbrewery because I couldn't recall the full name; I guess a marsh woman's brewery probably would be on the micro side? It doesn't smell like beer on me though; it's smells mainly like sweetgrass, blended with soft herbal/floral notes. It smells like a kindly witch's herb garden to me! :cheers:

Literally what I'd expected from the name. A dark, damp swamp with little bugs zooming around your head. Giant plants surrounding a tiny wooden tavern emitting a cozy light. The faint sound of flutes and guitars in the distance.

So yeah, basically wet greens with a dark twist- and yes, beer.

In the imp: Like a magical, fairytale beer! I'm not a fan of real beer, but this is so enticing!
Wet on skin: Sweeter & much more floral than in the imp. It still has the feel of a fairytale beer, though!
Dry on skin: Even sweeter & more floral still! There's a hint of fairytale beer, but it's very subtle. This is much more wearable than I expected it to be.
After a few hours: About the same as dry, only more faded.
Verdict: I was expecting this to be something I'd only wear very rarely, but I was so curious about it that I had to try it anyway. This is actually something I will probably wear a lot! It's interesting without being too weird to wear regularly & pretty without being even a little generic!

Okay, so reading everyone else's descriptions of this I'm thinking my skin is doing something very odd.

I'm getting...kind of nasty coconut sitting in a stagnant pool? 0_o what the heck, skin. I don't get florals at all, OR beer, just this sort of dank "something in the back of the fridge" smell. :( I really wanted to like this one, it sounded lovely!
I wish I knew which component was going to swampy coconut on me so I could avoid it.

I don't pick up a lot of beer, but I'm definitely picking up some grass because I sneezed as soon as I sniffed. It's actually kind of a soft, semi-sweet blend, with a sharp grass lingering underneath. Kinda nice if you don't sneeze.

Actually a retest, but again I didn't make any notes on the first go 'round. All I recalled was that I thought it smelled like dark beer and maybe bread, I loved the whole concept of it, and my mother physically recoiled when she smelled it (lol).

That said, this totally does smell like beer. Something like a stout, dark and rich and a bit bitter. It starts out as smelling like dark bread and morphs into beer over time. Throughout there's a fresh green grass note, which to my nose is dewy and almost aquatic. This is an awesome foodie/herbal scent, not at all sweet except the freshness of the grass note. Another that's totally unisex.

I love it but have no idea when I would wear it; I get the feeling most people would react like my mom. I really admire BPAL for going for it, though. This is like nothing I've smelled or even seen before.

At first whiff, this is a subtle baked foodie scent. The berries come out a bit, but are very subtle, which surprisingly for a foodie scent this is generally a very subtle smell. I would have to slather it to smell it.

In the imp: Green and herbal.

Wet on my skin: Bright, green, dewy-fresh herbs.

Dry: This remains green and herbal the whole way through, though it softens partway through the wear and smells a lot like a fresh, sappy dandelion salad. I don't get any beer from it, sadly. Not a "me" scent, but might make a nice room scent.

kind of a malty aquatic? basically it smells exactly as the name suggests! if it were translated into modern day it would be a light herbal beer made by hipsters at a niche brewery in an artsy town :)

On me, this does not smell like beer, which is fortunate. Maybe a little yeasty, like bread dough rising and baking. It does give me the feeling of a wise woman's kitchen. I'm not familiar with how any of the listed notes smell; I get green and herbal but not marshy (doesn't go soapy on me like most aquatics) or terribly foodie. It's quite pleasant but not a soul scent for me.

In the imp: I'm not familiar with the notes listed, but I can definitely say that it doesn't remind me of beer at all. It smells lightly grassy and herbal.

Wet: Weedy, herbal, and floral. I think I am either smelling the marsh arrow grass or hogweed the most. It still doesn't really make me think of beer... sometimes I think I get the impression of the foam on top of a wheat-y beer, but mostly, it's just a light herbal and floral scent.

Dry: There's an aquatic vibe to this that is more present in this stage than the wet one. It smells more marsh-like than beer-like to me. It's aquatic (yet not soapy), herbal, floral, soft, and sweet. While the yew berries might be adding some sweetness, I'm not getting any note that's distinctly berry to my nose, which is good, because I generally am not fond of berry scents.

Verdict: This one was a lot better than I was expecting (given that I'm not fond of beer)! I actually think it's rather pleasant, but I don't think I'd elect to wear it over other scents in my collection.

Sign in to follow this