BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Heavenlyrabbit

Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery

In the kitchen were frogs roasting on the spit, and dishes preparing of snail skins, with children's fingers in them, salad of mushroom seed, hemlock, noses and marrow of mice, beer from the marsh woman's brewery, and sparkling salt-petre wine from the grave cellars.

BEER FROM THE MARSH WOMAN'S BREWERY
A beer flavored with marsh arrow grass, yew berries, purple foxglove, and giant hogweed.

Got this for the Beer note. This does smell like Beer but not so much that it seems like I just spilled a pint.

This is beer with a fresh and herbal aspect and a vague floralness.

A very nice Kitchen Smell from a small cottage on the edge of a field.

A surprise hit! :D

I bought this partly for the name -- my son-in-law brews some good beers. I dont really get a beer scent other than the 'sense' of grain - mostly soft herbs and mellow florals. The scent disappears quickly on my skin, but lingers nicely in my clocket. Very little throw, but that's fine for me.

I'm so glad this is a GC scent, I may have to upgrade to a bottle once my imp is gone.

The beer note is nothing like ale or yeasty lager; it's more traces of foam from a white Belgian witbier (wheat beer). My dad used to grow his own hops, and I get a faintly bitter herbal note that could be fresh hops or giant hogweed (whatever that smells like!). The rest smells oddly like herbal hand lotion; cool, creamy, with lightly crushed wildflowers. Not bad on my skin, just odd. The more I sniff it, though, the more it grows on me.

A cool wet soft blend; I can't think of anything in the bpal catalog that smells similar.

Edited by bheansidhe

I got this as a frimp with my lab order, and honestly, based on the notes and description I would never have gotten this one for myself.

I can smell the wheatiness with a subtle whiff of florals in there. The overall scent is rather sweet, but not in a very sugary sense - more of a sweet scented flower type. I can smell the grasses and I do pick up on that rosemary note someone else mentioned but it's not quite rosemary.. something similar and it's very faint. Overall it smells like drying grass-herbs, herbal flowers with a base of wheat.

It doesn't smell boozy to me at all, and it's actually very pleasant kitchen-witch kind of smell.

I'm still wafting over getting a bottle in the future, I will try this one several more times to see if it sneaks up on me as a wearable or if it stays as an enjoyable experience for which I only need an occasional imp.

This doesn't smell like beer or alcohol to me at all, which I'm very happy about. Roadhouse smells like beer, but this is girly, sweet, and rather foodie on me.

Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery is like vanilla cream, toasted & honeyed almonds, and a handful of green grass and girly wildflowers on my skin. It's been a while since I've tried Dana O'Shee, but that's what this reminded me of... maybe a stronger Dana O'Shee with soft, greener notes and an edge of pretty, fresh floral, though the green feel fades away almost entirely in the drydown. It's also reminding me a bit of Sheela Na Gig and The Girl. It has a very soft and creamy quality to it that makes me think of lotions.

ETA: I went to wear this again today and it has not aged well. It now smells like celery (including the slightly bitter tone that celery has), powder, creamy lotion, and a whiff of maple syrup. Doesn't really remind me of vanilla or toasted almond at all anymore. It smells clean and strange, and dries down really soapy on me, like a cheap white bar soap smell. So sad :(

Edited by Little Bird

I'm not getting a beer vibe from this either--it's grassy (almost too green, really), grainy and herbal, but not alcoholic. Fresh and clean. Something in it makes me think of dandelions a bit. Not something I'd wear but it's pleasant and light.

I put this on just now without knowing any of the notes, and my first thought was OH GREEN! I could really smell grass, but not fresh green grass.. more a boggy/earthy kind of grass. After a few minutes, that died down almost completely and I could smell a waxy/creamy kind of soap-like floral element.. and then about 10 minutes later I thought I was getting something berry-like.

Then I came here and read the notes, so yep - it all makes sense now! The only thing I'm not really getting is the beer note.. and I'm not a beer lover at all (don't like the taste or the smell of it) so I can't say I'm disappointed in that at all - I guess I would be though, if I had bought this specifically for the 'beer' aspect.

After it's been on for about a half-hour, the greenness has reappeared and the soapiness has gone. It's now a nice blend of earthy greens with a very subtle berry/floral vibe - it's a surprisingly clean scent overall, quite fresh and natural smelling. When I read Little Bird's comment that it reminds her of 'The Girl', at first I thought :eek: no way! but now I kinda get what she means - they don't smell alike as such, but they have a similar feel in their freshness and creaminess. I can't really identify the berry or the foxglove on their own - everything is really nicely blended. I have no idea what giant hogweed smells like, but I guess that's contributing to the earthy/green feel. It's actually fading very quickly on my skin, so I'm not sure it has a good wear-length, but I did only apply a little smidge to test so perhaps a good slather would give a different result.

Overall - a nice blend.. totally not my thing at all, but I think that if you enjoy earthy scents with a fresh creamy tone then this one is definitely worth a try. But if you were expecting something dark and boggy and beer-y, which is the image that that the story and the listed notes created in my mind, this could surprise you :smile:

imp: sweetened herbs.

wet: still nothing beer-like, this is sweet and herbal and pretty. smells almost like caramel or vanilla on my skin. :yum:

dry: really pretty. it's a creamy caramel/vanilla scent over greenery. very unusual and pretty!

Hoppy beer...not nauseatingly so like Roadhouse...this is sweeter and actually smells like Beerbread with sweet fruits. Very plesant. I am kind of surprised. And I like this.

At the beginning, there was a giant hit of something fruity and light. It sort of made me think barley wine and apples. As it dries, it has gotten more floral and I can definitely smell the foxglove in it.

Heady, floral, yeasty.

this was a frimp from the lab, and nothing i would have thought to try...and i love it! i smell something that is similar to a note in sagittarius 07 - i had always thought that that smell was dandelion...but i see there is no dandelion in this....i am not sure what is giving off that fresh herbal, yet creamy smell - i am not familiar with these notes....but i can maybe smell a bit of what might be the yew berries, and perhaps the foxglove...if only because "berry" and "floral" are something i could identify more readily than marsh grass or hogweed or whatever else was in this...it is definitely very herbal, and wild smelling - love it!

Nice. Poisoned beer.. or wait. Extra-poison beer.

Wet: beer and a buttery sweet note. Very enticing! The smell makes me wish it was real...minus the poisons.

Drydown: lovely warm sweet brown confection. Any alcohol note burns off and this smells like a slightly greener cockaigne.

At first, I'm getting buttery caramel, not sure what is translating that note to my nose, but whatever the case, I am NOT a caramel fan at all. Dry, it's kind of a green watery spice with that darned caramel in the background. For some reason, this is reminding me a bit of Red Lantern, but 'fresher' somehow. Not into this blend

Sniffed: This must be the beer note. It's grassy-herbal and a bit foody.

On skin: I have an abysmal scent memory, and truly can't recall how real beer smells... but this light foody, slightly sparkling note is indeed reminiscent of beer. It's also prominently herbal and grassy, which must come from the unfamiliar foliage in the notes list. Over time the sparkling quality settles, and it's now a bit nutty, a bit grassy, and a bit gourmand, thankfully none too rich. Colour impression is a marshy, slightly metallic, dark green-brown.

Verdict: While the Marshwoman's Beer is a foodie that I can actually wear (most of them turn my stomach and I have to wash them off), it really isn't my kind of scent and I won't miss it.

In the Vial: I hate the taste of beer, but I love the smell of it, so I was really interested in this blend. But I don't get a whole lot of beer from this, just a hint of the dry, foamy foundation of beer. Mostly, this is freaking green. A lot of grass and weeds, maybe some soil, and tart, bitter berries.

Wet: Warms up right away. The berries sweeten up and come out a bit more, while the freaking greenness calms down. And then... it starts to smell somewhat boozy, though still not exactly like beer.

Dry: Hmmmm. Hmmmm! I'm liking this more than I'd expected. It's closer to beer now, although not beer in a bottle but beer I've spilled on myself and has dried on my clothes. The berries are still there, and the grass and weeds smell more floral now. The only issue is, it's a little plasticky.

An Hour Later: Yup, I've spilled beer on myself. Yay! That's what I was hoping for (yeah, I'm strange). Still oh-so-slightly plasticky, and vaguely green and berryish, but I think I can live with that.

Overall: Pretty cool! It certainly doesn't smell like the beer I know, though. The green and berry notes give it a very earthy, natural edge, and I can definitely see this being a beer brewed by a marsh woman (...whatever that is), as opposed to being a bottle you get at a bar. I like it, and will keep the imp, but probably won't need a bottle. I can see myself wearing this to bars or while camping.

I really love this scent it's very strong in the vial

and on my skin smells like fresh cut grass with a sweet note

it's like a breath of fresh air.

It is definetely grassy and nice, I really don't smell any beer on it

very fresh and refreshing

In the imp, it smells like a stylized version of malt; my dad brews beer and it has the yeasty-sweetness of mash with the malt just poured in. If you've ever had horses or barn yard animals, it smells like sticking your head in a bag of sweet feed. Yes, that's the best possible description of it!

On, you start to get more hints of the marsh scent, the slightly damp, aquatic notes off set the sweetness of the grain and it smells absolutely stunning! Its so well blended, you almost feel like you're standing in this woman's house, which is so close to the marsh you can stick your arm out the window and grab cattails.

But, then it all went down hill for me. The delish grain notes were over powered by the aquatic notes and an herbacious floral and it turned into the smell of drier sheets.

Maybe it has a gorgeous dry down, but I had to wash it off, it was making me sick.

....if only those gorgeous top notes lasted!!

I love the ideas behind the Marchen scents but I've never tried any so here goes! I am however also a big fan of herbal perfumes so I hope this one's a winner on me.

Imp: Hunh. I sure don't get beer from this. It's like a mix of bitter herbs and a strong astringent-- which could I guess be kind of hoppy if I concentrated-- and a sweet floral. The overall effect is like a really nice high-end cleaning product, but in a really pleasant way. With a little imagination I can see how this might be compared to the scent of, for instance, the head on a light witbier.

Wet: It almost immediately kicks into a warmer, more grain-ish mode on my skin, combined with a light floral and a lot of really nice green watery herbs. There's a soft aquatic in there as well, but it's not ozone, something else that reminds me a little bit of whatever watery-scent was in the Lady of Shalott. I think the grain note in here might be nut-oil based? I keep thinking I'm catching whiffs of hazelnut. Lovely and totally different from any other blend I've tested in recent memory!

Dry: This is a very ephemeral blend-- I keep thinking it's gone but I'll turn my head and catch a whiff. It's a gorgeous blend of floral/non-ozone aquatic/almost a creamy, foody, bitter note (it smells good though!) I like it a lot, but further testing will be required. I wish it were stronger! Maybe if I slathered...?

:::BEER FROM THE MARSH WOMAN’S BREWERY:::

As much as a person might be inclined to have an adventurous spirit, to try new things, to be open-minded, there’s something spectacularly splendid about the Frimps that arrive alongside beloved bottles in those boxes sealed with that erotichromatic orange tape… Beer from the Marsh Woman’s Brewery probably had the tendency to get passed over because the first thought went along the lines of, ‘Gee, who’d wanna smell like something SuperBowl-ish slopped down the front of a sweat shirt?’ NOT this guy…

BPAL has the supernatural ability to lay waste to misconception and paranoia more often than not. The time is nigh to fill a fabled flagon; to sip, slurp, and soak in some sorceress’s something psychedelic and sudsy. One must remember that cynicism is for sissies and celibates. Allowing one’s suspension of disbelief, one’s sense of wonder to fall into disrepair can only be bad on days that end in “y”.

From the Imp: Unabashedly unexpected. Beer from the Marsh Woman’s brewery smells… Healthy. Where there should have been fizzies and flowers, something dark, dank, and fortified has erupted. In a good way. Ok, sure, there is definitely the Celery thing that keeps capturing the imaginations of a good portion of the reviewers; the same thing that does the big time haunting of Szepasszony from the Diabolus category. Beer from the Marsh Woman’s Brewery smells like an enchanted and amped up juice bar: here lies all the nuts and twigs and fistfuls of wholesome grasses torn straight from the earth and tossed into the squalling contraption without bothering to shake the soil from their roots first.

Already, one gets the distinctive impression that their digestive system is about to be terrifyingly stimulated. That 17 mile run through the woodlands with the pollens swirling through shafts of sunlight is mere child’s play. The blood has been cleansed. The muscles, how they quiver! Nostrils flare, this is the breath of life, yes sir! (More Carob, damn you!) This is mayhem, moxie, and might. This is intriguingly good stuff thus far… a decidedly nice surprise.

Epidermically Annointed: Votes and verdict dictates that Beer form the Marsh Woman’s Brewery is, indeed, Szepasszony’s evil, fraternal twin; you know, the dude with the dreadlocks. Likes mudding. Wide range of Grateful Dead tee shirts. Pupils different sizes…

Beer from the Marsh Woman’s Brewery is a wild, gritty kind of enthusiasm. This is a hyperabundance of life. While this is mostly reminiscent of a fertile and violently organic landscape, it is regularly interspersed with clutches of sapient wildflowers that take a perverse delight in watching you watch them watching you.

The longer that this stuff wears, the more it dries. It’s as though the pulse acts as a dessicant. The deep browns and glowing greens are displaced by pastel dust and shining straw marked hither and yon with starbursts of pinks, purples, and blues. This also has the tendency to amp some of your skins natural essences, so if you don’t fancy your own smell, be warned.

Beer from the Marsh Woman’s Brewery has been a ton of fun. It is difficult to say whether or not a 5 ml. bottle would find its way into the personal collection, but it has been worth the experiment. This is suitable for Him or Her. Beer from the Marsh Woman’s Brewery gets a 4 out of 5

Hmmm, smells like beer with an herbal undertone. Rather pungent, though there is some kind of lingering juiciness that floats around every now and then, teasing my nose slightly just when I think I've given up on the scent. Still, this is a rather masculine scent, at least with my skin chemistry, as it is drying.

The beer smell fades away after a little while, and a grassy smell comes up to play. The herbal smell isn't quite as sharp, and the juiciness is coming forward. Very interesting. Now I smell a little bit of vanilla too. I think I'll hold on to my imp for a while.

Edited by Sateki

Wet, this was all and only celery on me - as it dries down, it keeps that character, but there's something more dark-green and juicy to it now as well.

Not something I'd be likely to wear - but I can't actually say it's bad in any way.

I like smelling it, just I'm not sure "perfume" is what it says to me. It's more, again, like recalling all the forests of my childhood (This particular one would be the summer cottage down by Stockholms coast that we'd visit with my grandmother and her sister :) )

I will keep the imp - this susprises me greatly, as it was just "celery" to begin with. Now, it's green, magic and very Pleasant in an untamed way.

May be for oil burner - to give a feel of sitting in the forest near the water, of the...well, sorry, but marshier kind :)

In the Imp (ITI): I smell hop grassiness with hints of berries. There is a nice warmness to the scent as it reminds me of a day running through sun-rippened grains in the early summer/late spring.

Wet: The berry combined with the hogweed and foxglove goes slightly chemically at first, but the marsh grass and the beer even it out within seconds of application.

Dry: The berries and hogweed dry down to a chemically scent again. There is a little note of beer, but it is barely discernible.

Sign in to follow this