BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ami226

Yürei

YÜREI
The most fearsome of Kaidan's conjured warriors, his sword can shear through anything--or anyone.

White tea, hibiscus, Arabian sandalwood, white amber, ho leaf, pale Japanese flowers, and vetiver.

A nice light sweet/tart scent! Not getting any vetiver yet. Yay!! I think I am mostly smelling the tea and possibly the hibiscus. This scent is turning into a tart scent with a slight hint of bubblegum. Kinda weird. I feel like I have smelled something similar, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

I am afraid that this scent isn't for me.

White flowers? What white flowers? This is ALL INCENSE ALL THE TIME, resulting in major sadness and EPIC FAIL for me personally. This was very smoky and dark and dusty, I got a $#*&ton of myrrh especially. :ack: Another great disappointment as most of the notes sounded so lovely, but all I got in the bottle - I haven't yet worked up the courage to skin test - was dark, smoky, gritty VETIVER a la Brimstone and Djinn, with a bunch of myrrh as stated and I'm positive other incensey, dark stuff, too. I don't get even the faintest hint of the other listed notes. :cry2:

I shall update this review as I properly test all the new releases over the next 7-10 days, just an FYI.

Edited by fairnymph

Yürei - This is unexpectedly gorgeous on me. G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S.!!! I have no idea why, because I can't match up any of the listed notes, but this reminds me of a spring/summer version of The Shivering Boy. On me, it's mostly white tea and hibiscus. It has a very cool, chilly quality to it with a sweet, winter-like note that is so reminiscent of The Shivering Boy, and it's driving me nuts because I just can't pin it down for the life of me. I can't smell the vetiver at all. It's light and sweet and floral and I'm just so amazed because the scent description didn't grab me at all, but the scent is so very pretty. It doesn't have much throw, but my skin smells sweet and pretty, and I can't stop sniffing my wrists. I have a feeling this will get worn often in the coming summer months. :wub2:

VETIVERRRRR in the bottle, there might be something else in here, but my nose sure as hell can't tell. Vetiver and tea on my skin, we'll see if I get anything more. There's a hint of sweetness that creeps in from the flowers and makes it sweet and tart, but the vetiver dominates in this too much to make it something I'd wear, which is sad, because I like the sweet-tart scent I get underneath the vetiver.

Edited by Venneh

This is a very bright, pretty floral scent. I'm not getting any vetiver which is good. Lots of throw and very long lasting.

I like the scent quite a bit, but I don't think I'll end up getting a bottle.

This was a pleasant surprise for me!

Wet, this is definitely white tea. At first, I'd forgotten the notes and thought it smells like a citrus white tea, but I think the tartness is coming from the hibiscus. It's sweet from the amber, and a bit floral. Dry, this definitely smells like white tea and sweet orange, which is very bright and pretty. Fruit doesn't usually work very well on me, but this mimics the orange nicely. I think this would be pretty for summer.

The only thing is that it doesn't have much throw and it fades significantly after about 1/2 an hour. I'll definitely have to slather this one.

Goes on bright, crisp, wet and flowery. Reminds me of a typical summery scent or cooling spritz. Unfortunately the vetiver starts to slooooowly creep out and eventually this smells bitter and dank :(

ETA: some folks have expressed interest in a another blend that smells similar minus the vetiver and I'd have to say that sans veitver Yurei is VERY much like Kumiho. FYI

Edited by MCS4096

YES!!!! :joy: A light and more gender-neutral version of Satan and Death with Sin Intervening.

Wet: Satan and Death Light.

Dry: Outdoorsy (not pine, oh what's that other tree-like note that's foresty?), cool, fresh, tart tea but not sour. Instant love.

Verdict: 5 out of 5. (Gorgeous!).

I love you, Lab :hugs:

(Yes, its also really close to The Shivering Boy too, but without that snow note that gives me migraines.)

[uPDATE: Can't slather this one either - will give me a migraine* even without the snow note. Will have to drop rating down to 4 and not get any more of this because of that. Bloody heck that sucks. (*I'm way more sensitive to scents than most people. This happens to me a lot.)]

Edited by rawgirl75

Holy vetiver, Batman! My partial was a leftover from Venneh's decant circle, so basically... what she said. I completely concur on the tarty undernote, but for me it's a little more pronounced, I think, because after a while the vetiver blends in really well with it. There was a moment where I got really excited after sniffing my wrist, noticing that the vetiver was fading, and said really loudly, "IT'S COMING OUT IT'S COMING OUT".

Gosh. This is actually really nice.

Immediately on application, I get the white tea. I'm not really a tea girl, to be honest. I try to convince myself that I am, but I'm not. I dunno why I deny that. Anyway, the tea is subdued, so it's not very strong. The sandalwood is there and it is very calm and understated as well. This sandalwood isn't drying everything out for me like it usually does and that's a good thing. Amber comes in later, giving it a warmer feel and smoothing everything out. The floral aspect is very light and heady at the same time. It gets this powdery feel after a bit but it's not powder. Does that make sense? The vert isn't strong and only adds a bit of a dark aspect and keeps everything grounded.

Nice. I like. I dunno if it's something I would wear though.

Yurei

In the vial: Quick sniff is tea and sharp floral. But WTF? If I sniff the vial a bit harder, something is definitely coming across to my nose as menthol! Whoa.

Wet: Sweet and sharp at the same time. Sharp like pine. Sweet floral tea. Strange combo to my nose. But not unpleasant, though definitely soapy.

Drydown: Still sharply piney and soapy floral.

Verdict: I'm not quite sure where this blend went wrong, but it did. It's all kinds of not so pleasing to me. I don't doubt that many folks would love this sort of oriental, clean, floral, tea-like scent, but it's just not cuttin' it for me, sorry! BIG THANK YOU to the C2E2 sniff circle started by GypsyRoseRed! :heart:

I almost did not skin test this. The vetiver was amazingly sharp in the vial. But, as I am constantly reminded with BPAL, you have to at least try it.

Wet: Sandalwood and Hibiscus and Ho wood! Vetiver it tempered down by the other notes. It is still there, but totally kept in line.

Dry: Mmm, warm and lovely. Not sharp at all. The white tea is present now, as are the floral notes. Something is hinting at citrus, but I could be making that up. Wow this is really lovely.

Overall, I am not sure if I am going to need a bottle right away, but this is going to be a go to scent in the Autumn and winter, I can tell. Really surprised be this. :)

I was fortunate enough to receive a testable sniffie from another bpal member. thanks!

This definitely reminds me of a couple Salon I scents. Maybe Orpheus mixed with a touch of Two Monsters? It's heady, sharp, clean without being white, and wonderfully intoxicating. I touch of chrome ad citrus comes out in the drydown with hibiscus. The vetivert keeps it from being screechingly clean. Totally a unisex scent.

In the bottle: White floral and velvetier. (Lots of velvetier) The sandalwood peeks out ever so slightly.

On the skin: Velvetier and white tea with just the teeniest bit of white amber. Fades fast on my skin.

Oddly, this smells a bit like bpal's snow note on me (though it's almost dryer-sheet-clean here), but it's very warm and slightly powdery with the white amber. White tea often smells very clean on me, so perhaps that's where I'm getting the snow note feel from.

Yurei is super light on me, and smells both warm and clean, giving off an impression of powdery, soft white flowers. I don't smell any of the vetiver at all. This is mostly white amber, white flowers, and clean tea.

Edited by Little Bird

Yurei starts off as a white tea/white floral perfume. But it has a tendency to get more 'floral' and perfumey as it dries.

It's very warm, Asian feeling - and I feel the white tea definitely adds a 'clean' edge to it. I get the sandalwood (maybe vetiver due to some smokiness?) grounding the blend a little more on the drydown after an hour or two.

Imp: White tea! Flowers! It's a very pale, white scent.

Skin: I was little nervous about the vetiver, but it's barely there. It's more of a strong floral-white tea scent on me, and there's a bit of hibicus to warm it up but not enough to overpower it. It almost has an aquatic quality to it, like the tea is still steeping. It's really lovely but alas, not me.

Started out all nice and spicy tea then vetiver ate it. I barely had time for a whiff before it changed.

shakes fist at vetiver

OMG a scent with vetiver that I can wear. :wub2: This is truly a white scent. White florals, tea and amber combine to produce this almost aquatic, airy and transparent scent. Sandalwood and vetiver help to keep the sweetness and perfumey scent to a wearable degree. I feel if they were not present this might be too much for my senses. However, this is stunning and I almost wrote it off due to the vetiver, eventhough there are multiple notes of win.

At first, masculine citrus with a bit of musk thrown in. Sadly, it turns to body spray on me, and I slathered, so it really is quite nauseating. Not for me.

In bottle/imp: Very bright and floral, with an almost green, pine-like feel to it.

Immediately on skin: This scent is very bright. It smells of flowers, but what kind I have no idea. The main feel of this is an odd floral citrus/pine note that’s very crisp and refreshing.

After a little while: The overwhelming citrus/pine floral I got at first has faded a bit, and now this is much more of a tea scent with some sweet hibiscus and that mystery floral. This is crisp and almost winter-y.

Overall Impressions: This scent is very refreshing, though the floral note I get at first is a bit overwhelming. After a while it really balances nicely, however. This scent is very reminiscent of the Shivering Boy to me, without as much pine and ice. This is lighter, and the tea gives it a more watery, misty feel.

Weird. From the reviews, it sounds like some people got mostly tea and some got mostly vetiver. Mine appears to be the mostly tea kind. This is a fairly bright, definitely tea scent -- almost watery, actually. Very pretty and light. The sort of scent you could wear anywhere, for any occasion. I have only a barely-there tester, but I definitely wouldn't turn down more of it, based on my slight sniffing.

Damn, I have no idea what's happening with this blend. It should've been a winner for me based on the notes, but it's nothing like I expected.

I get a huge wave of nauseating white florals with super candy-sweet fruit, which I can only assume is supposed to be the Lab's hibiscus.

This happens to me sometimes with the Lab's fruit notes, but it's kind of a bummer since I love hibiscus juice and tea, which are usually sweet and refreshing.

Here it's more like a sugar-laden Jolly Rancher version of itself.

I literally get NO vetiver or sandalwood, both of which I like. This kind of smells like a perfumey, sugary bubblegum, as Catseyes mentioned in the OP.

There are whiffs of pleasant white tea here and there, but unfortunately that's not enough to save this from the floral/candy avalanche.

Boo on you Yurei, you let me down!

For people that like Tamamo-no-Mae though, I think this is somewhat similar.

I recently bought the aged dregs of Yurei off a decanter, so maybe it's the aging or maybe it's just my skin chemistry, but I get a lot of sandalwood at first along with vetiver. After a while, the amber starts to make itself known, blending with the dusty sandalwood. Something with a soapy edge appears, and this starts to remind me a bit of Indulgence, which leads me to suspect that Yurei's "pale Japanese flowers," are elemi. A few minutes later, the white tea starts to come out along with a tart sweetness from the hibiscus. There's still plenty of sandalwood and vetiver though. I can see what other reviewers mean about it smelling sort of like BPAL's snow note, but it's not the minty kind. I REALLY think there's elemi in here.

Medium weight, sorta soapy incense on me w/ a tart sweetness. This one's ALL over the place and I like it! It still reminds me a bit of Indulgence, which I loved, so this might be a good GC alternative. I will consider another bottle once this one runs out.

Sign in to follow this