BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I normally just upend the bottles but I bought some cute multi-colored glittery cocktail stirrers from target today which I plan to start using for stronger blends or testing bottles I'm not sure about keeping.

I use a ceramic chopstick to apply from my BPAL bottles and clean it with alcohol when I'm done. TALs and things like sleep oils (TKO etc) I just apply by blocking the bottle with my thumb and tipping (since I'm not worried about someday trading these / changing the scent).

I have to be careful with heavier scents to dip just the tip of the chopstick in - it carries a lot more oil than an imp wand.

I've been using the plastic thingies the Starbucks puts in the coffee lids to keep the coffee from spilling out - it has a "handle" and I wipe them down with alcohol before using them in a different bottle. That way I can slather oil on my arms, neck and into my hair! :P

Since I've started slathering more I up-end on wrists or stop up the bottle with a finger and then dab. For stronger scents I use a disposable coffee stirrer. If it's a new bottle I've never tried before I use a toothpick to test it and if I like it it goes into the "apply in whichever way is most convenient at the time" pile. I try to keep the possible swaps uncontaminated.

Wand Caps. They take less oil out of the bottle. This is good esp. when you want to conserve your LE's. :P

I put my finger on the top and shke it a little, well very gentle actually :D

than I tip the usual points and I am not being very carefull to be honoust..

I just use it all up, I love a strong scent surrounding me! :P

but maybe I' ll try to reqquest for those droppercaps one day.. sounds good for LE's :D

for something potentially swapworthy or that goes a long way in terms of throw, I use a toothpick.

If I'm going to use it in one of my scent lockets I use a q-tip. After I apply I squeeze the remaining oil from the tip of the cotton into the fabric that goes in my locket.

I'm a knitter so I have tons of metal knitting needles hanging around. I dip the tip of the needle into the bottle and then apply the oil. After application I'll clean it off so the next time I use it I won't contaminate any of my other bottles. So far it's been working pretty well for me.

I recieved (in a swap) a screw cap with a little glass wand attached. I need to get more of these! Usually I just apply from the cap or tilt it over on my finger and smear it all over my skin (which can, at times, be messy). The glass wand/cap applicator is amazing. :P

I'm wondering what "routine" folks have for first test oil applications. I just got my first BPAL order and I want to try all the scents! I don't want to mix, though, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on clearing scent off completely and starting over. I want to try rubbing alcohol, but that might dry out my skin a lot.

I ordered a lot of wand caps from the BPAL LJer who used to supply them, but she's since gone out of business and I've used all of them up. Lyrical mentioned that the lab can add them on to an order. Does the lab still offer wand caps, and is there a certain way I should request to add them to an order?

Edited by Dianora

I ordered a lot of wand caps from the BPAL LJer who used to supply them, but she's since gone out of business and I've used all of them up. Lyrical mentioned that the lab can add them on to an order. Does the lab still offer wand caps, and is there a certain way I should request to add them to an order?

I requested a handful from the lab the last two times I ordered. I put the request in the comments box. One of them, the wand caps were just included. The other customer service emailed me saying that the caps were $0.50 a piece and that I could paypal for the number I wanted then they would get included when the order shipped.

I requested a handful from the lab the last two times I ordered. I put the request in the comments box. One of them, the wand caps were just included. The other customer service emailed me saying that the caps were $0.50 a piece and that I could paypal for the number I wanted then they would get included when the order shipped.

Thanks so much for the info! I ordered a nine-bottle order and really wanted wand caps, so I sent them a paypal for $4.50 and my order number :P

Hopefully, it works out.

So I wrote Dianora to see if it worked out for her. She wrote me right away to say that it did. I thought I should post this here, so she does not have to continue answering random messages as people find this thread. My thank you reply and then original messages to follow:

Thank you so much! When I went to the Bat's Day Market in November, all the sample bottles had wand caps. I was so overwhelmed (the entire GC was there in 5 mls), I didn't think to ask how one would get a hold of them. This will make a world of difference.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I can get extra wand caps for my old bottles...

Yep, they included them with no problems. The next order, I added a note to the CCnow order mentioning that I wanted them and then put the order number in with my paypal for the caps. I never got a reply from the lab either time, so don't worry if you don't hear back. I couldn't live without my wand caps now, and it's really nice to not have to go tracking them down.

Thanks so much for the info! I ordered a nine-bottle order and really wanted wand caps, so I sent them a paypal for $4.50 and my order number :)

Hopefully, it works out.

Hello,

I just found your post when I was searching for info on getting wand caps. I was wondering: did it work? Did you get wand caps with your order in November?

Thanks!

Hm, well when i tried dabbing my finger onto my pulse points after turning the bottle into said finger i found i got SO MUCH that i nearly suffocated myself, and everyone in the house. So then i started using a toothpick, but found the wood soaks the oils up..... my remedy:

coat one half of said toothpick in clear (or colour coirdinated for differentiation... a different colour for every scent) nail poilish, and after it dries dip the coated half (which becomes like plastic).

For me, one small droplet caught at the tip of the toothpick is enough for one pulse point.

My goodness, I must real pile on my scent. I have a couple long plastic droppers that I got from the oil retailer I used prior to BPAL (you can also use the droppers like you get from the Vet for your animals). I put a drop on each wrist, elbow, neck, and behind knees. I tend to be cold all of the time, so I find putting the scent on places like behind the knees and inner thighs heats up and releases more fragrance.

I'm an animal, I swear. First, I have a hard time holding scents as long as I would like. Some last longer then others, of course. But I slater it on compared to what most of you are saying. :blush: Which also makes me go through bottles far quicker then most.

I tried a couple of the methods suggested, but none of them really worked :[ Even the toothpick method was a no-go-- I'm not co-ordinated enough to catch a drop of the oil out of the bottle and get it squarely on my skin (without dousing my desk and carpet, that is!).

I found another solution, though: paintbrushes work really well for the larger bottles. They don't tend to drip oil, and since I'm definitely more of a dabber, I can just brush on a few stripes of whatever scent I feel like.

I used to decant into imps so as not to corrupt my bottles... but I've turned into a slatherer, and now just invert the bottle onto wrists and apply to inside elbows, neck etc... and wind up doing that at least 5 times for an application :whistle: So I kinda fly through bottles before they have a chance to get corrupted. I'm also "over" the idea of screwing up my LEs... I'd rather just enjoy them :smile:

I got some plastic cocktail stirrers a while ago that i use. They feel too sturdy to throw away after each use so I save it in a plastic bag labeled with the name of the oil... I used to use toothpicks but I found that they absorb too much of the oil.

I'm really loving the reducer caps, actually -- I'd been putting on my own until I found out that the lab would kindly send you some if only you asked.

I usually put a drop on each wrist and then smear that onto my neck, this way I'm scenting all the required areas and not wasting any on my finger.

My skin burns through scents like nobody's business, so I will put my wrist over the bottle's opening and upend it, then from that put some in my cleavage and the other wrist, etc. I try to bring the scent with me for reapplication throughout the day as well, since in about 2 hours you won't smell it on me. I try to not bring imps with me though because lately I've been finding that a lot of them are leaking. :(

I know that I'm "tainting" the oil, but I'm not in this for the re-sell so much as for the enjoyment, so I'm okay with it. The ones I do resell I generally haven't enjoyed, so I barely used them, so there's not much to worry about.

Edited to add: Ooh! The lab will send wands? *ponders*

Edited by ephemera

I'm really loving the reducer caps, actually -- I'd been putting on my own until I found out that the lab would kindly send you some if only you asked.

I'm so going to ask for reducer caps next time I make a lab order. I managed to get a hold of one for my bottle of TKO and it makes the oil so much easier to apply.

I used to decant into imps so as not to corrupt my bottles... but I've turned into a slatherer, and now just invert the bottle onto wrists and apply to inside elbows, neck etc... and wind up doing that at least 5 times for an application :whistle: So I kinda fly through bottles before they have a chance to get corrupted. I'm also "over" the idea of screwing up my LEs... I'd rather just enjoy them :smile:

A fellow slatherer! I :wub: just sit here with my eyes pinned at descriptions of these tiny applications. :blink:

A fellow slatherer! I :wub: just sit here with my eyes pinned at descriptions of these tiny applications. :blink:

No kidding! One drop from a reducer cap on each wrist is enough?! My skin really absorbs it too.. because I do not have a cloud of scent following me around-- even though I kinda wish I did. During my period especially the scent is gone in like 1 hr. I reapply a few times through the day.

Average amount for me to use at one go during morning application is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an imp. Am I a bad person?? :lol: