BPAL Madness!
Venneh

Crib Girls

Seven honeys under one unkempt roof, with fiery-tart cubeb and dusty cardamom.

This is heaven. Honey that works on my skin, without being aged??? I am boggled. Crib Girls is tart lemon and spicy cardamom with a crapload of sweet, thick golden honey. It is bright, summery and utterly gorgeous. Definitely bottle worthy.

Huh. This is one of the few honeys I've tried that actually behaves itself on me, stays sweet and I don't get the Froot Loop thing or the lemony thing. I'm contemplating a full bottle of this because I've been trying to find a decent, sweet honey. :blink:

Oh no! :( I was expecting to love this but it smells like Honey and Lemon Strepsils (a type of cough drop, not sure if you get this brand in the States) which makes me think of having a cold when I was a kid. Not at all what I wanted.

I got to try this because the very kind Molls saw my BPAL Santa wish plea, and sent me an imp--thanks!

I like it, but not enough to get a bottle. I really like BPAL honey, but have honey moon (my fave) and Litha (the older version--very honey heavy), so I figured it would have to be spectacular for me to feel I needed more....

I was also surprised by the blast of lemon. It reminded me of lemon pez. It's a nice, sweet, appealing scent (ironic given that it is a scent for Crib girls), but more lemony candy then honey. After awhile, the honey does come out, but it still mostly lemony with some honey rather than the other way around (which means it might work for those who honey doesn't usually work for). It really really reminds me of a TAL oil, but I can't remember which one right now--but the scent is very similar. Bastet's Laughter, maybe? It's one I don't have anymore of, but one that I thought smelled like citrus pez! :)

I'm glad I got to try it.

When I first put this on, I was in love love love love love! It smelled just like the honey lemon ginseng green tea I used to drink all the time in college. Sweet and full of honeyed lemon goodness.

Unfortunately, about 15 minutes later it's all dry spice, like trying to suck on a teabag.

Has anyone tried this in a scent locket? If I could keep the initial wet scent, I would wear this all the time. As is, however, it's just not working with my chemistry.

This is a nice, sweet honey lemon when it's wet. As it dries, the honey fades somewhat, and we're left with a sweet lemon tart. :lol: Half an hour later, the lemon is mostly gone, and honey predominates. I like this, but I generally like my citrus less sweet and more tangy. If you like honey blends, I'm sure you'll like this. I'll certainly enjoy the imp while it lasts, but don't need an upgrade.

Edited by milo

Oh whoa! Fresh out of the imp and on my skin, I get a big solid smack in the face of lemon-y gingery peppertastic spunkiness! Not what I was expecting at all, but fun and bright. As it dries, the honey is coming out more. The major tang of the lemon and cubeb balance the honey really well, so that it's not a big gob of sweetness all at once. I really like it, and if I use up the imp I may want a bottle.

Er, lemon-flavored throat lozenge. Really. Which is better than when it was wet, which was Lemon Pledge. I expected lots of honey, but that's not what I got. It calms down when it's dry, but it doesn't seem to be entirely losing the tart lemony scent. Honey and I usually don't get along all that well, but I keep trying blends with honey in, just in case one works. Looks like I'm going to have to keep looking...

When first applied this smells exactly like a lemon lollipop, YUM! It starts out as a very bright scent, but as it slowly dries the honey turns into something more calming. Actually now that I think about it smells like a less-sweetened more-tart version of fruit loops. Not sure if I need a full bottle of this just yet.

Ugh... lemony death. In the vial it smelled like floor cleaner, and I started to get worried-- for good reason. The comparisons to Froot Loops and honey-lemon cough drops are spot-on, and lemon is one of those scents that makes me ill if it's overwhelming. Which this unfortunately is. After it dries, the honey comes out a little more to balance the extreme sharpness of the citrus, but it's not enough to overthrow lemon's tyrannical reign. And ugh, I remember why I never liked Froot Loops as a kid.

This is a fail, unfortunately. I will have to keep hunting for a good honey scent, because obviously this isn't it.

I had to google what Cubeb is and its a kind of pepper. Which would explain the spicyness that mixes in with the lemony-est lemon I have yet to smell in any bpal. It was almost too much for me to wear but then after 15 minutes or so it turned it straight up sweet honey. Intense honey. I even put Black Temple Burlesque Troop over it and can still only smell the honey. That was hours ago too.

Crib Girls is interesting. I wonder what it will smell like in a couple months after it's mellowed a bit...

Edited by Duskinhereyes

In a word: nummy. In two words: absolutely unexpected.

I have a very hard time wearing most food scents, and I especially have a touch and go relationship with citrus. This is straight up lemon in the imp, and it smells exactly like a lemon jolly rancher on me. Dried down completely it's an intense, almost blisteringly bright lemon on me with a very subtle spice undertone. And it's absolutely amazing. It doesn't turn into cleaning products on me like some of the other citrus blends that I've tried have. This may be the biggest surprise from the last update yet.

Lemon, lemon, lemon and then hello honey! I really wasn't happy with all the lemon, because lemon and me don't really get along but after a little while the lemon really softens and the honey starts to show up. It's a really soft honey on me, not as heavy as I imagined. It's very pretty :smile"

Honey honey honey. It's got a little zip of lemon and underneath a nice base of cardamom. Warm, sexy, and honeylicious. I'm not a huge fan of honey since it amps up on me but this one was nice, soft, and just... well, like a light smear of honey.

So far I'm having bad luck in the District and it continues here.

Initially I get a blast of honey, but then it fades into lemony cough drops. That I would be able to handle, but for some reason (maybe the honey?) it seems to have a rancidness or rottenness underneath. Very sad.

This changed a bit and got better as it dried down, but I'm getting a bit of Lemon Pledge. I do wonder if this will age well. If citrus notes fade and mellow with age, will cubeb? For the moment this isn't working on me well enough to get a bottle, but I will cellar it and try again soonish.

ETA: Okay, an hour later and the lemon faded almost completely. Now I smell the honey and cardamom. Much MUCH nicer, but still not a very me sort of scent, and I'm guessing at least for now I'd have to put up with the hour of Pledge. I do like honey but whether or not I love a scent with honey depends on the other notes in the blend.

Edited by amyw

Starts with a sweet yummy yummy lemon candy. That sharp lemon hangs around for a while, but then it becomes pure honey. Sticky, just the way it's supposed to be.

I tried this simply because I try everything that passes my way. I'm not a lemon lover, so that will definitely color this review.

Wet, its so intense that I get the pucker and salivate response! I persevered though, and waited for it to dry =)

I still get that lemon, less intensely and definitely spicy. Spicy lemon and something sharp that I can't place. This isn't a scent for me, but it is intriguing.

Oh, I want to love you ladies so, so much.

Crib Girls starts out as sweet, rich honey, bright with a lemony note. I love it. Then the pepper starts creeping in. Every time I sniff, my sinuses clamp up, and I want to sneeze. :lol: Like the way chile pepper complements mango slices or lemon/lime flavors, the cubeb makes the honeys stand out in a very interesting way. But I don't think I want to keep huffing this, because my nose is seriously about to cry a little from the sneaky spice.

Oh, wait. the spice is fading; this could be awesome. I guess this is the cardamom, because it's giving the honeys some definition, but my nose isn't getting hurt. In fact, the bitterness from it keeps the scent from being too light and floating away. I'm also getting something that is definitely reminiscent of Froot Loops, but a tea version of it (which I guess makes sense, with the honeys and cardamom components--my tea craving is kicking in).

Can't tell if I love this, but it's definitely interesting and something I've never experienced from bpal before.

Edited by bluberyapulsaus

in the vial i smell spicy lemon, which i guess is the cardamom and...cubeb? i don't smell honey at all. i admit, bpal's honeys often don't work on me, but i like cardamom, and thought, well if there are 7 honeys, then maybe that combination will somehow work? after awhile, the lemon fades a bit and the fieryness comes forth, as well as the honey. yeah, honey continues to smell weird on me (or maybe i just don't like it?) but i must say, this is a bit better than other honey scents i've tried. perhaps i'll age it awhile and see what transpires....i am really on the fence with this one!

Lemony-honey at first, though a rich, warm lemon - like smooth delicious lemon bars. Over time the lemonyness fades away, leaving a really nice honey scent that stays close to the skin. This is really nice. It reminds me a bit of Cairo.

On my initial application, I got nothing. Zip, zada, nada. Like I'd just bought a 5ml of water. :(

My nose must've been on hiatus, because I tried it a couple of days later and now I'm suffused with lemon candy happiness. I'm fond of sweet, citrus, fruit scents and I do like the lab's honey - so I bought this unsniffed and I'm happy I did so. It's not a very complicated scent, just light, sweet and clean. I don't really get the sex scent of the more notorious honey blends. It reminds me quite a bit of Aelopile, which is darker and heavier, but still lemony. This is a more feminine, playful version of Aelopile.

I'm going to get good use out of this in the spring and summer and I'm curious to see how it ages. I might need a backup bottle!

Starts out with a real Kapow from the citrus - smells like a lemon lime mix. Then she starts to get quite dusty and mellow, sweet and tart. This reminds me of a close cousin to Jezebel which I got an insane amount of dusty book nostalgia from. The sweet dusty honey then turns sort of powdery. In the end I feel that the drydown is sort of sour and then fades to a dusty honey baby powder. I think some people will love and adore this. I just like it.... I totally smell the Fruit Loops similarity! LOL.

In the bottle this is pure frootloops.

On my skin this is...bright, prominent, sexy frootloops! If that even makes sense.

As it dries down the lemony scent becomes less demanding, it swells into this rich and very real honey - thick and luscious.