BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

High-Strung Daisies

Daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar.

I bought a bottle of this for my daughter for her 11th birthday. It is her first bottle of "Real Perfume". So, this review is written from smelling from the bottle and then on her.

In the bottle: Sweet, sticky, and PINK...but something green beneath. Like a young girl twirling pink cotton candy on her fingers while sitting in the grass.

On, Wet: Sugar and carnations, with a pleasantly soft "grassy" note (likely the daisies).

On, 2hr: The sugar has backed off a bit, and she smells like a fresh-cut carnation bouquet. Very sweet, still; but the scent gets a bit lighter.

On, end of school day: Powdery carnation, with a hint of daisy and grass.

This was absolutely lovely on her. She's so happy to have it, and I'm so glad I just let her at the BPAL site to pick out what she wanted as I would likely have just bought her Dana O'Shee, The White Rabbit, or Alice. This is a "youthful" scent. It's just darling and something she'll cherish (and likely horde, if she's anything like Mum).

In bottle: Very, very pink, and also very sweet. Sugar and daisy are strongest, with the carnation an pepper putting a little spin on it. Wet: Very reminiscent of cotton candy. Yum. Yes, it’s floral, but the sugar/daisy mix turns to cotton candy accord on my skin. The carnation separates out a little. Dry: Slightly less cotton candy, as the elements separate, into fascinating individuals. I’m not a floral person, but I can’t sniff this enough.

I was pretty excited about this scent and in the bottle it smelled amazing!! It reminded me of a young girl laughing in the sunshine as her mother tries to wipe sticky, melted cotton candy off of her cheek. But the moment I put it on my skin, it turned to sickeningly sweet bubblegum and some weird kind of decaying, dirt-esk note. :cry2: Oh well. Maybe I'll have better luck with a scent locket. :)

In imp: Mmm, smells just like the pink bubblegum that comes in the strip packs like juicy fruit. I love that gum. :)

On wet: Mmm! Smells the same but even stronger. Very much a creamy pink gum scent. I have a bottle of aquolina pink sugar and it smells a lot like that, only more gentle or something.

Dry: Still the same, just fainter at this point which is too bad. I hope it gets stronger again as it warms. This is a big win for me as I've been wanting an oil that reminded me of my Pink Sugar. Love this! Right now throw seems to be medium. I'll update later if it changes at all.

This is a wonderfully youthful and merry scent. As Judas_Kiss stated above we bought it for our daughter for her Birthday. She was mad stoked to get her own BPAL bottle versus just Imps.

In the bottle: Very sugary but I can pick up the pepper and carnation notes. It's warm and syrupy smelling.

Wet on Skin: Floral and clean with a peppery sweetness. Smells a little grown up for my tastes, but that's maybe the overprotective Daddy talking.

Dry Down: Now this is more like a very spirited and "girly" floral medley with sweet spicy under notes. Definitely an appropriate scent for my little girl. It is a youthful exuberance with a sweet floral after bite. She smells like she's been playing in the garden, or rather the garden I wish we had.

I am usually completely down to review scents that skew more feminine on myself just to provide perspective but this scent is just for her. Definitely the scent for any girl who is young at heart or young in years, who--like my daughter-- is perpetually "skipping through the daisies".

Sweet floral candy!

This is similar in tone to Rosy Maple Moth in being a candy-toned floral, very light and spring-toned. I am getting a trace of the pink pepper that I loved in Hermia.

This is a light sweet floral that definitely reads PINK to me, as with so many other folks here. There is a touch of green and white in it, from the daisy and carnation, and I also get a bit of candy fruitiness. I don't pick up the pink peppercorn spiciness, which I generally love, just get the floral and the sweet fruit. It's very close to how Sugar Plum Fairy smells on me, so this is a good GC suggestion for those who love that one.

This is more of a young girl's scent than one I expect I'd wear much of. Luckily I have an 8 year old niece to gift.

I have been wearing this all day, and I love it - like other people have said it is quite sweet and I probably wouldn't be in the mood to wear it everyday. But it is a really soft and bright sunny scent.

In the imp it smells like sweet, sugary daisies. On my skin it stays pretty much the same, I can smell something kind of fruity in it at the beginning but then it fades and the daisies, carnation and sugar take over. It lasts for quite a while too. I like it alot, its just the sweet sugary-ness that gives me second thoughts about ordering a bottle, I will probably end up getting a bottle of this though :wub2:

Another frimp! I would not have chosen this one for myself so I am glad I got a chance to try it.

BOTTLE: a very sinister bubblegum

on skin, wet: a marzipan of lillies. Candy flowers right off of an elaborate layer cake.

drydown: tangy, almost citrus. those jellied grapefruit slices coated in sugar?

This is a much-to-sweet scent for me but it is delicious nonetheless. It has a very naughty-schoolgirl kind of feel to me.

In the Imp (ITI): On the initial sniff, for some reason I get Bubbleyum, like the watermelon type. I’m sure it’s the sugar paired with the pink carnation and daisy. This really wasn’t a scent I was expecting from the notes listed by BPAL. On second sniff, I can just discern the pepper, which makes my nose tingle. It’s rather intriguing.

Wet: It still smells like watermelon Bubbleyum, and I’m smiling because it evokes such fun childhood memories. Again, the pepper is noticeable with that pepper tingle, but it’s such a pleasant feeling paired with the overt sweetness of the sugar and florals.

Dry: 30 minutes- The daisy, carnation, and sugar have morphed ever so slightly from the watermelon scent to something a little more mature (not much, but a little). The pepper rounds down the overt sweetness, making the scent have more depth. It’s a rather pretty scent.

In the imp: Sweet floral.

On skin, wet: Slightly soapy, spicy floral.

On skin, dry: Slightly soapy, sweet & spicy floral.

After an hour: It's gotten very faint already. What I can still smell is similar to the drydown, but it's almost gone entirely.

this reminded me of how kids' faces smell after they've eaten a lollipop. then it became more floral. On me it's quite a subtl, faint scent and although reasonably nice, not good enough to keep it ;)

In imp: very pink! I'm getting the slightly spicy carnations and pepper, a kind of sweet dusty sugar scent. To my nose, it feels rather fizzy.

Wet on skin: low throw, quite faint. I'm getting sugared daisies now and some fizzy pink pepper. The carnation has gone quite faint, but then again the whole scent is faint on my skin.

Dry: my skin must be eating this up, or it's otherwise burning off really quickly. It's almost all gone, with a faint sense of "pinkness". What's left is a dainty, almost fragile scent, beautiful and pink and fizzy sweetness.

Verdict: it's a very nice scent, but sadly not lasting or "present" enough--and I have a number of fragile scents already. Pass!

In the imp:Daisy and a strong sugary note.

Wet: Just a big BOOF! of sugary sweetness.

Dry: Extremely sugared daisies. Waaay too sweet for me.

Half an hour later: Oddly enough, I can't stop huffing my wrists. The pepper has come out and the sugar has gone pleasantly powdery. Still not really something I'd wear, but an interesting twist on typical sweet scents. This lasted a long time and had good throw.

HIGH-STRUNG DAISIES

A freebie in my latest imp pack, tested blind.

In Vitro Citrus? Not too sweet. Tantalizing.

Wet Sweet and slightly sharp. Fruit or flower or both, smelled edible. No throw on me.

Drying The floral/fruit remained but was overtaken by a generic perfume smell. The fruit, if that's what it was, suggested stone fruit, e.g. nectarine or peach. It blended to an undistinguished sweetness and was very faint after four hours.

I had to laugh when I unfurled the label and saw the name. High-Strung daisies has been on my list of candidates since day one because I love the smell of carnations, and I sure didn't get that from my skin. Doing these blind tests is humbling; in this case I didn't correctly identify a single note.

Very pink, yet noticeably green underneath. I don't get any pepper, and I can smell the daisy and carnation fairly equally. The sugar note comes across more as cotton candy to me, or even slightly bubble gummy. I was hoping for a "pink sugar" sort of scent, and this isn't quite it, although it's nice enough. Very feminine and innocent.

I’ve tried to review this before, and I keep wanting to come up with more to say about it. But… I can’t. This one’s pretty simple: Bubblegum and pepper in the imp, then bubblegum, pepper, and florals on me. Not a favorite, but cute enough.

Working my way through my imp and bottle box, A-Z, either re-reviewing scents or reviewing them for the first time. This is an imp I purchased from Lab a little while back, not sure how long.

IN THE IMP: Pink sweetness. Reminds me a lot of my precious Pink Moon 2007 (the blend that smelled like sugared pink carnations).

Dabbed moderate amount on one wrist and one crook of arm (I'm going one-armed today because of blood tests on the other one).

WET: Like many others have mentioned, the first note to waft up and hit me is pink bubblegum. But not the super sweet bubblegum (at least not at first) ... a little spicy, more like Dubble Bubble than Bazooka, say. The florals bloom next with the carnation and daisies.

DRYDOWN: At first I thought the spiciness of the carnations would offset the extreme sweetness, as it did for me in Pink Moon. But instead the scent remains on the just-a-little-too-sweet side for me.

OVERALL: This is going into the swap pile because it's just too sweet for me, and I'd reach for my Pink Moon first on the occasions when I want something like this. But I think it's a great scent and can absolutely see why it would be a wonderful first scent to by a girly-girl daughter or niece or whatever.

On a scale of 1-5 I give it a solid not-for-me-3.

This is absolutely HEAVENLY!!!

I have without a doubt found my new Signature scent!!!

The only way I can describe it is that it smells like Pink Sweetness. It is so so sweet and light and just Divine.

Also, it has amazing lasting power on me. I woke up and could still smell the sweetness a bit from yesterday. =)

I'm in love with this :heart: :wub:

Just received this in a swap.. was intrigued by the pink-ness described and the sugar. I don't typically like florals, but comparisons to Hope/Faith intrigued me as I like Faith well enough.

In the bottle I wasn't turned off, but was a bit worried about the blatant floral notes. Very sweet, but it was also very floral and a bit bubblegummy (not unlike Faith in the bottle). The pink pepper is in the background as just a bit of spice, but thankfully not too strong - this was a note I was worried about.

It doesn't change much from the bottle when it's just applied to the skin. Floral, bubblegummy sugar with a good amount of spice and green. The sugar and the floral notes start to blend a bit more subtly. The scent gets a bit more powdery which I don't mind.

After about 30 minutes this becomes wonderful on my skin. It loses a lot of the green and pepper and becomes a really pretty light sugary floral, not unlike my all time favorite scent, Antique Lace (which I use sparingly these days as the bottle depletes). It loses throw as it dries, but it's still a keeper.

Edited by peacocks

Juvenile sticky sweet pink and very strong.

It reminds me of a plastic doll head (that has been scented) very playful and innocent.

After a bit the carnation shows up and helps this oil to grow up a bit...but only slightly. For me....it's not my cup of tea but my daughter loves it and I will be getting her the big bottle.

Plus the name is adorable.

First review!

In the bottle it smells--as many have said--like bubblegum. But there's kind of a roundness to it and a subtle spicy edge. I'm guessing that's the carnation.

Wet on my wrist, the sugar takes over. It's very pink still and a little more aggressively confection-like.

As it dries, the carnation comes back, and it shifts more sweetly floral than straight-up candy. It's pink and pretty--the bubblegum recedes, and a whisper of the pink pepper comes out.

Ultimately it's sweet and spice, like the Powerpuff Girls. The first time I really wore it, a container of pink glitter opened up in my messenger bag and coated many of my belongings, which felt appropriate. I like High-Strung Daisies, and I bet I'll use up the imp at least--it'll be nice for hyper-girlish days.