BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

'Tis The Voice Of The Lobster

A woody, musky-weird base glooping over with blackberry preserves, a twist of mandarin, strawberry juice, pulverized watermelon, and a handful of smushed gardenia petals.

Wow, this is definitely weird.

Imp: Melon and butter (?!)

Wet: Those gardenia petals are definitely smushed. In fact, everything smells a little smushed together. The mandarin is very light, but definitely dancing on top of sprinkles of strawberry and watermelon jolly ranchers that have been mixed into butter.

Dry: It must be the blackberry preserves, cause my brain keeps telling me "melon jam on buttered biscuits" with a bit of sharp strawberry on top. This smells really foody on me. I'm not getting the musks or woods or spices everyone else seems to be getting (my nose is, admittedly, sort of off today though.)

30 minutes later: Citrus is at the forefront, with gardenia close behind. No longer foody.

THIS IS WEIRD. But I sort of love it. Definitely considering a full bottle, even though I have no idea when or where I would wear this except to smother myself in it at home and bathe in its strangeness.

In the Imp: I get watermelon bubblicious gum and wood. Interesting

Wet: Melon, but maybe Honeydew, with light floral notes and wood. But now the wood is smelling like wood chips that you have in the garden - a little damp and dirty. I'm liking this.

Dry: Spicy fruits with a backdrop of floral. Awesome. I was totally dreading death by flowers... it happens sometimes.

Overall I like this one a lot. Only wish that it hung around a bit longer. I think I got about 3 hours out of this one. 7.5 out of 10

'Tis The Voice Of The Lobster

In the Vial: Fruity! Melon (ah yes, watermelon).

Wet: Instant squirt of mandarin, and just, a sweet, artificial candy fruitiness that is overwhelming. Like Jolly Ranchers had sex on my hand.

Drydown: Still very fruity, but already toning down. Oddly enough, my nose wants to say 'banana' though that's not one of the listed notes. Might be because bananas are so damned sweet that my nose/ brain are just tricked. Think the gardenia might be peeking through, now.

Verdict: Much more fruity and sweet than I had expected, somehow. Too much like candy. And am slightly sad that I don't get more gardenia. A nice and fun blend, but one that I highly doubt I'll ever reach for.

On me, this is watermelon + gardenia. I can't decide if I like the combination; it's definitely much better than I expected it to be, but it's just got this weird pseudo-aquatic vibe to it. It's very sweet, but the gardenia keeps it from being truly candy-like. The melon reminds me of Earth Rat/Earth Ox, but I much prefer those to this.

Wet: Smelled like watermelon jolly rancher.

Dry: Smells like watermelon bubblegum.

Ergh, I thought I would love this but it's simply too sweet.

Imp: Hey, watermelon! That's not a happy thing. I don't really like melon scents and yet feel compelled to try them every time. At this point I should just admit that I'll never learn.

Wet: Freaking crazy sweet melon. And the faintest hint of strawberry. No woods. I wish there were woods. I have a feeling that woods would really save this puppy.

Dry: Melon with that lovely tart blackberry note, a hint of strawberry and a very, very faint gardenia. I still don't like melon, apparently. It's odd because I love eating melon, just not smelling like it. I think that minus the melon I would find this a lot more appealing. As it is, there is a sticky sweetness here that makes me feel like I am 12 years old and taken away by Calgon and it's a little creepy to be honest. This is way too young for me on my skin.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I think I just have an instinctual aversion to anything that smells like something I would have worn in junior high. This is very, very young on me and makes me feel kind of weirded out just by wearing it. I don't like smelling like I'm in junior high so this one is not for me.

I honestly got an imp of this from the lab purely for the watermelon note. I'm happy to say, I can smell it in this blend!

It definitely is what it says, though I don't get a lot of woodsy out of it. Mostly it's fruit juices, some floral (gardenia), and it seems somewhat aquatic. Definitely weird. Definitely cool and not over powering, but not a softy either. It's slow, languid, and takes it's time wafting to you.

Unfortunately, the throw is not significant. :cry2: Not sure if I will upgrade this to a bottle or attempt to hoard some imps of it.

This one amps the pulverized water melon on me. Wet, it's over powering watermelon. Dry, it tones down a bit and smells as though someone added fruit into the mix, like a big summer fruit salad that makes my boyfriend want to take a bite out me. ^^

This is his favorite scent, and my favorite summer scent next to keyline truffle. : )

Reminds me of the watermelon bubbleyum. Hmmmm, I would like to eat this one. Ever so slight floral in the background.

In bottle: Heavy on the watermelon and strawberries, with a little gardenia. Wish I could drink this.

On skin (wet): Very fruity, but not overly sweet. Initial throw is epic. Gardenia is lending a sort of "grandma" tint to the scent, but the watermelon and strawberries are to die for. Fresh fruit salad on my wrists! Must not lick!

10 min: The throw has gone down, but this is still fruity and sweet. Getting a strawberry lemonade feel from it. Gardenia is still there and the citrus is making a small showing.

20 min: Still going. Much more subtle and perfume-y, now, but not in the usual gag-me sort of way. Almost pleasantly alcoholic now, with a hint of fruity hard candy.

60 min: mostly gone, but fruitiness lingers in the form of watermelon. Very nice.

'Tis the Voice of the Lobster

I wasn't expecting much out of this one. Admittedly, I only put it on my wishlist because it sounded so unusual. This was a huge sleeper hit for me! It's lovely. Woody and fruity at the same time. I smell pretty much all of the listed notes, except for the mandarin. I mostly smell the strawberry, and that's just fine. It's delicious. After a while, a jammy sort of smell emerges, and it is to die for. The wood is present through all stages.

I :wub2: this lobster!

4.6 out of 5

Oh, wow. At first, this was a total surprise hit. I tend to HATE melon -- anytime that something says it smells like melon anything, I go out of my way to avoid it. But on first application, this is a really amazing blend of juicy fruits. Unfortunately, once it tries I get too much of that typical "melon" scent. Not enough to make me totally disgusted (as I usually am at the scent) but enough so that I would never wear this.

There's really too much going on in the imp to distinguish particular notes.... there's fruitiness, and a sharp woody-type smell. On my skin, there are various fruits with watermelon and berry dominant, and something that smells almost chocolatey. It's like some sort of artificial fruit candy. I'm not really noticing the gardenia. Reminds me of some cheap fake body spray. Off to the swap pile.

'Tis The Voice Of The Lobster - I really wanted to love this because the fruits in it and are awesome, but the gardenia and woods in it ruin the whole thing and makes it smell like walking down the potpourri aisle at Hobby Lobby. It's one of the rare BPALs that's so sickeningly sweet and artificial and synthetic-smelling that it gives me a raging headache. :sad:

Gloopy jammy and weird indeed! The 2 strongest I smell is musk and blackberry. The first time I tested it, I smelled watermelon as some other posters have mentioned but this has switched around. I like it! Murky and fruity. Who would have known the 2 could work well.. oh wait.. Beth did. ;)

In the vial – Watermelon!

On the skin – Watermelon and gardenia.

Dry – Watermelon, with the slightest hint of citrus underneath and a whiff of strawberry.

I really like this one for the almost astringent fruit that presides in this scent!

Edited by Dralore

This is a ridiculously silly scent. Not that I shouldn't expect that. But it really is a scent that makes me smile. It's full of whimsy.

I smell sticky-sweet blackberry, strawberry, and a bit of melon in the bottle. On me, it gets a teeny bit musky, enough to settle the fruits just a bit. But it's a deliciously fruity scent still. Good for when I'm feeling light-hearted. :D

A frimp from the Lab which I'd not have tried any other way—mixed fruits aren't my thing.

In the vial: Fruit on top, and that woody, musky-weird base down below.

On me: Unique fruity and gardenia perfumey. The fruit is mixed but not indistinct—it's primarily watermelon but I get a hint of mandarin's brightness and a bit more blackberry over time, and it's colorful but not overpoweringly sweet or bright. The gardenia come and goes, and it caries with it an airiness that I often get from florals. I don't get much of the base, which (especially when the gardenia is present) makes the scent a smidgen ungrounded, but I think the lack of "musky-weird"ness benefits the scent. This is a summery, fruity (with a touch of floral) scent that has more character than I usually get from that scent family: watermelon is a unique base, the mixed fruits provide variety, and like most of the Mad Tea Party scents this has plenty of character.

Verdict: I generally dislike fruity florals, but 'Tis the Voice of the Lobster is unique enough that I find it surprisingly pleasant and successful. Nonetheless, it's not even remotely my style. I washed it off and won't keep it, but I wouldn't mind smelling it one someone else.

Sigh, my second MTP strike out. I really wanted to love this scent, it sounded soooo yummy!

Sadly, it smells like fruit flavored hard candies that have gotten wet and been left out for a few days. Sadly vomit inducing. Hopefully someone else will have better luck!

On: Wow. Lots of fruits. I can pick out the watermelon and strawberry. There's a darkness underneath it all, though.

1 hour in: Lots of sweet strawberry and watermelon.

8.5 hours in: Vaguely soapy.

Overall: Like a lot of oils, my skin ended up making this one smell soapy after a while.

Watermelon gum with a hint of strawberry while wet. Drydown: Watermelon gardenia petals. Meh. Lovely to try though! :wub2:

Alright where do I begin with this one. Let's start in the bottle.

In the Bottle: You know when you are in that really seedy part of town and you walk into a gas station or a convenience store and the place smells like someone has been smoking a bunch of really strong cigarettes in the place and you want to leave but you walked in and decide to buy a bottle of coke or pepsi or something to that effect and then you pay and leave only to find the drinks flavor has been permeated by the cigarettes? It smelled like that taste.

Wet: It starts to smell less like cigarettes and more like you put a bunch of Jolly Ranchers inside the drink now and it isn't that bad now.

Dry: It ends up being quite pleasant and softly floral with just a hint of the fruitiness to linger with you throughout the day.

Would I buy this bottle again? Eh......maybe if the mood struck me. I like it but it isn't something I would wear everyday. It's nice to have lying around though.

Wet: Quite fruity, particularly blackberry. Gardenia is making itself known, too.

First on: Really lovely gardenia, with just a hint of berry in the background.

Dry: Watermelon mixing with gardenia, and the musk finally comes out. Delicious.

On me, this is mostly watermelon with a touch of warm wood. A very odd combination, but green and fresh smelling. My husband said it smelled great from a distance, but not up close. I'm not a fan of melon in any shape or form, but the wood tempers this somewhat. This will be re-homed, though as it is just too melony for me.