BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

I don't find it exclusively masculine at all. Would be great on either sex.

It smells dark, fresh, woody, spicy, and musky. A great scent :P

Fenris Wolf- Though traditionally masculine, it totally agrees with my chemistry. It's not overbearing and reminds me of the smell of an old and well-kept church. I mean that in a good way. I would definitely enjoy this on my guy. A perfect man scent.

Initial Sniff: Woody and animalistic - the rosewood and musk are what really stand out to me in the vial.

Wearing: Mmmmm... the amber, musk, and sandalwood meld into a beautiful warm glowing puddle. As it dries, the sandalwood really takes over.

Final Impressions: This is beautiful!

Fenris Wolf is a really beautiful scent, I'm surprised it doesn't get more press. It has the red musk which can be iffy on me, but I love it in Snake Oil and Vixen and it's great in this blend too. I adore rosewood, it's always a very creamy, soft and sweet wood on me. And there is so little sandalwood in this, it doesn't go too dry on me. In fact, this blend sweetens as it dries down, probably from the amber. Unfortunately, amber is a robber note on my skin and Fenris Wolf disappears too quickly. If it weren't for that, this would be a real keeper. It seems quite unisex to me.

First sniff: Fenris Wolf is deep, dark, blood-red in both colour and scent.

Wearing: It’s so powerful in the vial that I was expecting to be knocked over by the aura when I put it on, and fortunately that isn’t the case. This reminds me of my beloved Dragon’s Heart. It’s not as warm, but it has the same fierce confidence.

I'm discovering that rosewood absolutely takes over any blend on me, and this occurred in Fenris Wolf. Just a smidgen of sandalwood peaked through but on the whole this was a flatly wooden scent on me. I'd hoped my ever-favorite amber would save this but rosewood killed it. :P

Musk and sandalwood pop first, masculine. After, the sandalwood sticks (but sandalwood does that to me), with wisps of the musk that make the name very appropriate. Very reminiscent of Kathmandu to me (due to the sandalwood amping), so not really my thing. Goes sweeter and lighter as it dries.

Surprisingly soft on my skin, I can smell a very, very light oriental mixture.

Good lasting power, it's colour would be red.

In the vial: The first impression I get is much woodiness. As I sniff, I realize that the red musk is actually the prominent note. Spicy and sweet and...fizzy?

Wearing: Hello, musk! This is a more masculine Scherezade--maybe what would happen if it and Coyote had a scent child (um...you know what I mean). Oddly, though, it's spicier and less creamy than Scherezade. I get a hint of rose wafting around every now and then. Overall, I'd say it smells hot. Very, very red indeed.

Later: Sandalwood and musk. I was kind of hoping for more amber, but this is still nice. Has good throw and decent lasting power. I like this a lot and will keep the imp for sure.

In the vial, I smelled what I now know is musk and something resinous, almost pinelike, and something woody. Less masculine than I expected.

On... well. There was musk. And musk. And musk. Musk is apparently the "dept store perfumy" note also in Bastet and Bathsheba that my skin seems to like to make drown out every other note. If the other notes had stayed in, I'd have kept the imp for occasional wear, but thanks to chemistry it'll go in the swap pile.

Oh dear. I think I'm in love! I originally purchased this for my husband, yeah... I think I'm gonna fight him for this one! I definitely have to buy a big bottle of this. My husband is currently in California for school and I have a feeling that when he gets a sniff of this on me we will be bothering the roommates! He loves amber on me and I ADORE musk on him! I have a feeling that this is going to end up as a scent we will only wear when we plan on staying in!

I think I'm addicted.

Images/feelings I got when I put it on: Blood red color and VERY feral! A wolf/fox/large cat running through the forest on the hunt, during a hot summer night. It makes me want to howl.

Edit: It's now close to 21 hours since I put Fenris wolf on. I can STILL smell it on my wrists! OK I have to put my nose right up to my arm, but it is still definately there. My chemestry does seem to make amber/musk/sandalwood last forever on my skin.

Edited by Anarchy99

Funny thing: the first time I smelled Fenris Wolf all I could think of was my beloved, long-lost Mercury. Which is not to say that it smells like Mercury - it's much more musky and feral. But the rosewood (I think) is definately an achy memory of my lovely.

It starts wet a little sombre thanks to the rosewood. The amber must be really well-blended because I don't get the golden "bounce" that lingers in something like say Brisingamen or Florence. In fact, aside from helping it to mellow beautifully, I don't smell the amber at all.

Once it dries, the musk starts working and doesn't stop. It just gets more and more warm and terribly sexy. It never becomes overwhelming, but mellows it into an incredibly predatory scent. *love*!

Fenris Wolf is the mister if Aureus is the missus. It's warm and woody, but decidedly darker than golden Aureus. The musk gives it a little more oomph and kick to it. It does get predominately woody on me-as that's what my skin does with wooden notes generally. But, you know? I :heart woody scents too, so that's all good. The amber doesn't become too much at all for me in this one. I think it serves to sweeten the musk a bit, but it desn't come out too much at all.

I really enjoy Fenris Wolf and am tickeled that the lab sent it to me. I think I could switch off between this and my beloved Aureus happily. :P

A brief mental picture (ignore if you don't like this kind of rambling!  :D ):

I'm in a forest and I've met this forest dwelling man and he's sheltering an injured or young wild forest animal (stoat? fox?) in between a leather waistcoat and his bare skin and I'm leaning in to say hello to it and I get a whiff of wild animal and skin and forest... Its a warm, wild and fiercely loving scent.

I got an imp for my boyfriend to try - its easily the best of the bunch I chose for him and I'll definately be ordering a big bottle.  I will wear it myself too - & I think it will also make a great warming autumn/winter bath when the 5ml arrives or meditate with it & I'll make journeys back to that forest and see what i find because it's bringing back memories I don't think were made in this life ...

I love it when my imagination's triggered like this  :P

I love that description, Fallow Deer. Seems so true to me.

I got this from a friend who decided she didn't like it, and I started to send it off as a swap, then thought huh, have I tried this yet?

Put some on. Nice woody notes, green and mossy, nothing special.

Then an animalistic note came out. Musk or civet, musk or civet? I couldn't decided, but thought perhaps civet though it seemed less overpowering than civet. If it was musk, it didn't smell like egyptian musk or the other slightly sweet almost floral musks, but a deep, dark musk.

Perhaps I should keep it?

After about an hour, it is a gorgeous blend of warm woods and that animal note that, after reading the reviews, I realize is indeed musk. Its a bit like the TAL Lord of the Forest blend, but that one is a bit too overpoweringly civet for me to wear, and this is a calmer, sweeter variety of it.

Makes me feel comfortable surrounded by lovely male energy, and the spirit of wild woods. As if I'm walking in the wolf's path.

I'm also surprised this one doesn't get more attention, because it is gorgeous!

eta: and yeah, I kept the imp :D

Edited by cuervosueno

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Musky wood.

In the imp/bottle: Musky red sandalwood.

On skin, wet: Musky! The amber and musk blend together wonderfully, and the sandalwood as a sort of earthy quality to it.

On skin, dry: This dries down into a warm, masculine amber scent. After thirty minutes or so, it's all sandalwood on me. Strong, heavy sandalwood.

Conclusion: Nice, but very masculine to me. I'd have no problems wearing it despite that, but the sandalwood is way too strong for me.

Edited by Aredhel

Bottle (Imp): Musky.

Just On: Definitely musky.

An hour or two later: Musky, animalistic (in the good way), primal.

Around 6 hours: Fading down into a soft primal musk.

12 hours: Barest subtle bit of musk.

Overall: I could live with this, but it doesn't hit the favorite list.

After reading other reviews: I really didn't get the warmth out of this that it seems others did. It certainly never got sweet on my skin.

In the imp/first applied~Spicy, herbal and musk. Very quickly turns to generic men's cologne and something that comes through as artificial pine is giving me a headache. It settles down a bit but it's still not working. Not at all. Hubby wasn't exactly thrilled with it, either. Oh well.

In the imp: ick, sharp

Wet on me: Red musk (or at least something that I smell really strongly in sheherezade) plus dry wood.

Drying: dry wood has dissappeared and this has become something like what I was hoping Sheherezade would be. Warm, round & a wee hint of spice (probably amber.) Still nto sure what disagreed with me in Sheherezade, but I digress.

Dry: Sheherezade but a shade warmer & darker. I like this one better.

I'm giving some of the traditionally masculine scents a try because I've liked men's cologne in the past.

In the bottle and Wet: Sandalwood and amber.

Dying down: Still sandalwood and amber.

Dry: It's sort of a soft woody amber; I can't smell the musk but I think it's doing a nice job of blending the woods with the amber. It strikes me as being a little sweeter than any of the boys I write about might wear. Well, except it's an earthy sweet, so maybe Viggo. Anyway I really like it and I might even need to get a big bottle.

at first: this was a freebie from the lab. heavy, dark, almost sweet. masculine, but with an edge to it.

on: this really isn't me at all. i'm definitely getting the rosewood, along with a red sort of scent. neither woods nor red things tend to go well on me.

1 hour later: warm, soft, and woody. there's a bit of sweetness from the amber, too. nice.

2 hours later: less sweet. still woody. luckily, this isn't going weird on me the way some woods do.

overall: while this definitely wasn't unpleasant, it isn't really my thing.

I admit I'm partial to this scent off the bat, as it's a wolf. And not just any wolf, a friggin' apocalyptic wolf! It's also precisely up my alley in terms of fragrance and element, as I'm a Leo.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Strong whiff of sandalwood, sharper woods, definitely. Also immediately there is a potent, smooth musk and sweet amber supporting and grounding the woods. The scent drips 'red.' I immediately think of very thick, resinous myrrh and amber essence simmering in an oil warmer, giving off a sharp yet sweet vapor.

Wet, on Skin:

A sharp bite of cedar and sandalwood accompanied with the honey pull of amber. There's definitely a touch of floral here, but it seems to be a quiet floral as opposed to blooms and blossoms. This is a subdued floral.

Drying/Drydown:

Dries down on my skin to a sandalwood and amber combination, warm and very sultry. This fragrance feels angry, but not in a fiery way. This is more of a simmering, resentful and cold anger.

Over Time/Longterm:

Stays remarkably true to the start, except that it tapers away to being more sharply sandalwood on my skin, which I don't mind.

Final Verdict?

I bought it unsniffed as a 10 mL and am glad I did.

ETA: About the fading issue - I think that the scent melds so well with me that I stop being able to detect it as well much faster than other BPAL scents, but I definitely got a few intrigued glances in elevators and the like today. Woof!

Edited by Lycanthrope

This is really, really lovely, and only gets better as it dries down. It's definitely wolfy - while I didn't perceive Loup Garou as wolfy at all, just as perhaps a (were-)wolf's natural environment, this is the real animal. Musky, warm, animalistic, rrowr!

But I don't find it masculine at all. Gender-neutral maybe -- I could see it working well on a guy too, but on me it's all she-wolf. It's very reminiscent of Haunted, which was my favourite BPAL scent for a brief while (basically, my favourite out of the first small batch I got, but soon superceded by other things). This is better than Haunted, though. It's got that lovely warm glowy amber-musk that blends so well with skin, but with more depth and complexity, and a woodsy, wild edge to it.

It took a while on me to settle in and for all the notes to start harmonizing well -- initially my reaction was "Hmmm, not bad, the musk's a little overpowering though." But within a few minutes it had shifted to "Hey, I really like this! I think it'll get a B..." By the time I listed it in the "Scents I've Tried" area of my wishlist, it was up to B+ as the woodsy, incensey notes began to come out, and now I'm thinking A.

Only problem is it seems to be fading, and it's only been an hour or two. Some of the scents I like best seem to get swallowed up by my skin. Oh well. Just need to apply more of it next time. And put it on my big-bottle list.

ETA (about 3.5 months later): This has indeed become an enduring favourite, and lasts longer if I use a bit more than I originally did, and don't just concentrate it on my wrists, where scent fades fastest. It's also become my favourite "power" scent -- it's warm and beautiful, but also wild and strong, and wearing it I feel like I could conquer the world. I think it's becoming a Top Ten scent for me.

Grade: A

Edited by Miss Lynx

Fenris Wolf – Out of the bottle this is quite a dark musky scent with bitter herbs, maybe a touch of rosemary & a tiny drop of Dragons blood resin too. This seems quite manly, wild & instinctual. After a couple of minutes on the skin the rosemary is very strong & all else recedes. It has a real biting edge to it.

Wow, what a fantastic scent. It is indeed a bit on the masculine side, but no so much that it would deter me from wearing it. It's a lovely, earthy, woodsy, incensey blend full of body and depth. I'm beginning to realize that I really like rosewood, and combined with the red sandalwood and amber, this is a truly beautiful scent. I'm beginning to really like the incensey blends more and more, and this one is great. I will certainly enjoy using my imp if the boy doesn't steal it, as he has already threatened. :P