BPAL Madness!
moonstonemama

Egle

Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

Okay. Um. Either my nose is broken or my my imp box does magical things to the imps, because, on me, Egle smells like Light Rain and a hint of caramel. For real. If I try real hard I can imagine jasmine growing at the edge of the forest (the 'caramel tree forest', which is what pinched w/4 aces turned into after a bit of aging). No pine. No fir. This scent is Rain, a touch of jasmine, and a breeze blowing in from the caramel forest. Definitely on the sweeter side, but quite pretty.

I'd been ogling this one for ages, but the fir note made me hesitant, as pine doesn't always go well on me...

I got an imp about a month ago, however, and I used it up so quickly that a 5ml became mandatory.

I grew up loving hyacinths, and I can smell them in this to perfection.

The ocean water and jasmine make for a nice background. I can't smell fir at all.

Wet: Light hyacinth

Drydown: Beautiful sweet hyacinth becoming fuller and bolder. The jasmine is deepening the hyacinth without really drawing specific attention to itself. Just a hint of coolness from the fir rounds it out.

Dry: Soft hyacinth tempered by a salty ocean breeze. Much lighter now. A clean and cool floral-aquatic.

I love the first hour of this! So much glorious hyacinth! After that if fades so much that it kind of makes me sad. Still this is a must-try for hyacinth lovers and those taking their first steps into the world of aquatics.

5 out of 10 bones

This was a frimp from the lab :wub2: I wanted to try this one for a while but I wasn't sure about the fir because my skin seems to amp pine/fir scents.

This is a really lovely scent, it smells really fresh like summer rain falling on the jasmine and hyacinth. This is actually an aquatic that works on me! And the fir doesn't amp. Stays close to the skin and does seem to fade quite fast. This is a perfect scent for summer or days at the beach, I will definitely be using up my imp and may even upgrade to a 5ml at some stage.

Just a note: jasmine and I are not friends. It likes to turn into cat pee on me. But I love hyacinth and aquatics and maybe the fir will beat the jasmine into submission? Considering I found a rose blend that I LIKE, anything can happen!

Imp: Watery florals. A bit perfumey.

Wet: Salt and florals. And there's just the tiniest touch of the fir. The jasmine is behaving, wonder of wonders! Wow, I really like this! If the jasmine continues to behave, this would be a bottle purchase for sure.

Dry: Ok, this is love! Slightly aquatic, slightly floral, slightly fir-y, slightly sweet. The notes combine into the most amazing dance of olfactory delight! I definitely need a bottle of this :joy:

This oil is one of my favorites so far! Unfortunately, there is some variation between batches - the imp that I initially bought has a very strong fir scent, whereas the bottle and second imp that I bought afterwards have almost no fir. In all of them, I can smell the hyacinth and jasmine, with the jasmine sort of forming a background for the hyacinth. But without the strong fir smell, the hyacinth becomes a bit overpowering, and it smells oddly like bubblegum if I concentrate on picking out individual notes. That's not a terrible thing, because it's a cute, spring-like scent; it's just that the fir made it more unique and sophisticated.

I'm thinking that I might try and layer this with another oil that has fir or pine as a dominant note. For now, though, I'm hoarding that first imp for special occasions.

In the bottle: very perfume-y, strong florals with a slight tang

Wet: strong florals, a little salt and aquatic, faint fir

Dry: florals. it won't settle on one scent, it keeps morphing. the jasmine is the strongest. not too bad, but very perfume-y. it's very faint and fading fast. pretty much no throw on me. the salty aquatic just peeked out again. it's a very light, fresh scent, and it's almost rain-like. it's actually a pretty cheerful scent on me. the salt note makes it nicer, tbh. 10 minutes in, it smells just like the scent of florals on an ocean breeze. not bad, I actually like it, but probably not worth a bottle for me.

edit: 20 minutes in, it went soapy on me for a second, but the spice of the jasmine just barely holds it in check.

Edited by ringmaster-red

In the bottle - Salty water, soapy fir and a touch of floral

Wet on me - Soft soapy florals particularly the hyancinth

Dry on me - A slightly sweet, slightly soapy floral

Overall - Pleasant enough but not relay my cup of tea

In the bottle, this is and clean, aquatic floral. Wet, it remains the same--very pretty. The aquatic note fades on drydown, leaving behind bright, sparkling jasmine and hyacinth--perfectly blended so that it isn't too heady, with just a hint of fir. Not sure if this is something I would wear often, but it's very pretty.

In the imp: Sweet hyacinth and jasmine.

Wet on my skin: Beautiful aquatic hyacinth, with a touch of jasmine and green fir needles.

Dry: I'd been considering ordering this, but had not yet gotten around to it. So glad they tossed this in with my latest box! This is mostly hyacinth and jasmine on me, with a sense of rain-slicked petals and wet fir needles in the surrounding forest. It's a blue scent, very feminine and soft. This is actually quite beautiful, and is the first scent in my box with hyacinth in it. I should see if there are more~!

I would have named this one "A Walk Along the Beach."

So imagine you've come out of a pine forest which is edged with honeysuckle and you're standing on a beach which leads to the ocean. You walk along, smelling the jasmine and the fir trees, and then the ocean air is stronger than the pines. As you continue, the trees fade back and there's a grove of hyacinth before you, pairing prettily with the ocean which sparkles in the sun. The beach eventually curves away, and you follow the path back onto land, ending in a meadow of hyacinth and honeysuckle.

This is a frimp. I would not have picked this for myself, as I dislike aquatics and fir notes, and REALLY dislike jasmine. None of them are fond of my either.

This though. This is....just nothing that I expected. It's all beautiful sweet hyacinth (which it turns out I really love) and a gentle aquatic that is actually not terrible on me. I love sweet florals. I can't get over how pretty this is. Not sure I'll rush out to buy a bottle, but it's still a lovely, unexpected surprise.

In the imp: This isn't an in-your-face aquatic. The florals and the fir take it in a different direction, and while I'm not normally a fan of aquatics, I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Wet: The ocean water note is more prominent on my skin, making the scent somewhat less sweet, but it still doesn't dominate. The floral notes and fir make me feel like I'm in a forest by the ocean. Then, the sweetness returns – I am thinking it must be the hyacinth note. The star jasmine in this is not a stinky jasmine note on me at all, and for that, I'm relieved.

Dry: For some reason, this reminds me a bit of Elf, even though they don't have any listed notes in common. I really like this, and I think it would pair nicely with Elf hair gloss!

Verdict: I'm glad I gave this a chance, even though aquatics and I don't normally get along. I enjoy this one, but I will wait and see how quickly I go through my imp before considering a bottle.

Bottle: Fir, flowers, and a drop of ocean.

Wet: A lightly oceanic floral, with impressions of cool sea spray and frosty fir at the top. In a minute the fir mellowed out a bit and jasmine stepped in, but the jasmine was balanced and this didn't lose the fir freshness. I liked Egle a lot for this pretty spring morning and applied a second dose to a different spot before the first one dried.

Dry: In less than two hours this faded to a sweet, barely there musk. After two hours, it winked out.

Regardless, I kinda wanna bottle. ;)

Lab frimp. Ocean water in that bathroom soap/floral kind of way. It's fresh and airy around the nose. But I can't shake the memory of fancy bathrooms with shell-shaped soaps whenever I get a whiff of this.

Must get some of these old reviews posted now I have a whole new batch on the go! :rofl:

This was a frimp from the lab. I would not have chosen it myself, as I am not an aquatics fan, although I think I liked this one the most of the few i've tried.
In imp: Fir & kinda perfume-y aquatic, tiny bit of jasmine in the distance.
Wet: Fir almost disappears as I amp the sweet floral and turn jasmine into honeysuckle. Slightly rank edge, which I think is the "sea water". All a bit of a strange combination.
Dry: At least twice when I tried this, I got a bizarre phantom note about 20 minutes in that smelled of rotting fruit & stale cigarettes :wacko2: . It didn't last too long, but was most unpleasant, especially when trapped in a car at the time! Otherwise it dries down to an aquatic jasmine, with the fir in the background & the saltiness giving it a faintly dirty feel. Still odd, but I rather like it. After several hours, the jasmine mostly burns off and it's just a subtly sweet forest-y beachiness that I actually really love, even if it's not very me.

This is a weird one, but beautiful in its way. I ended up giving it to a friend, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped on him either. I think it could be amazing on the right guy..

In the imp, a complex floral and seawater scent, with a hint of green fir. Really nice!

And on me, about 30 seconds to enjoy the blend, and then my skin turns Egle into Irish Spring deodorant soap. Aquatics, I love you, but you do not love me.

Edited by Teamama

In the imp: A floral scent that wants to be heavy and languidly sweet, but there's a fresh, clean-air scent uplifting it and shooing it out of doors. This could be the ocean water or the fir, but isn't really distinguishable as either.

Wet: Still very floral-dominant, but now the florals are lighter, softer, and more demure. There's also what I would almost swear is tonka or amber at the base, providing warmth and strength. I guess this is the fir (maybe?), but I've never smelled fir like this before. Throw is pretty good.

Dry: Huzzah, it's an aquatic that doesn't develop into soap on my skin! In fact, I'm not getting much of the ocean water at all - it's a soft, lush floral; sexy yet wearable to work. It starts off as hyacinth with jasmine undertones, but these slowly switch positions throughout the day until I'm left with a very soft, woody jasmine. Wear is pretty short (about four hours, give or take), but it looks like that's not unusual.

Imp: totally ocean aquatic and white flowers
Wet on Me: aquatic white flowers
Drying Down: now getting more ocean again with the aquatic the jasmine is revving up to be the more dominant floral note. not getting any fir.....yet
Dry: aquatic jasmine. really kinda heady actually. Not really my thing.

This is throwing me for a loop, because unless I smush my nose into my arm all I smell is a very fresh, green apple. Which is not a complaint, because I love how the lab does apples. When I really get in there I smell something like a very expensive ocean-scented candle (it's nice, not like the cruddy ones you find in a supermarket), a gentle, crisp floral I'd believe is hyacinth, and just a touch of spicy fir. Yes, I've finally found a conifer note that doesn't hate me and turn into an entire forest! The jasmine is very calm in this but there is a chilly sweetness curling through it all. Over time it does amp a bit so it's more of a seawater/fir blend with some soft, crisp florals. It's definitely aquatic, but not in a way that goes to soap on me.

I don't know that I'd wear this regularly, but it's an interesting scent! It's also pretty much the only scent with a conifer note that I've ever liked.

Ooh, spring has sprung! This reminds me of Easter. Despite not being religious, I love blends that remind me of Easter. Just smells nice. Jasmine does it for me every time. I really love this, and it's quite aquatic, and I rarely LOVE aquatics.

Where I'd wear it: London in springtime.

On me, this is a pretty aquatic floral, mostly hyacinth. I was hoping for a stronger fir note, but I guess the forest is a little ways off of the seashore. No throw at all. Very nice but not something that I imagine reaching for often.

I like this. It's a unique watery floral. You can smell the fir in the distance, which makes it kind of weird and cool and personal.. because it takes close-up sniffs to catch the fir. The ocean water is a tad bit salty and smooth and turquoise. It's making quite an impression on me even though it's not a favorite thus far, only because there's a sweetness that I personally am not fond of. Others who like sweet perfumes might love this.

I wasn't expecting this one to be so sweet. It's almost like jasmine and the sea was made into a candy. I get a little bit of the fir, but it's mostly sitting back and just letting the jasmine stand out. As it dries, I think it's the hyacinth giving the jasmine that extra sweet boost. For me, the watery aspect of this one isn't too overwhelming and it's the florals front and center. It's kind of a shame though, because it isn't a very long-lived scent. It lasts for maybe an hour on me.

Oh Jasmine, why do you hate me? You smell so pretty in the imp, and then like death on my skin.

This is very pretty, a very aquatic jasmine, but it hates my skin.

Edited by cassiejaynebunk