BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

I have recently added a man thing into my life that has a major nut allergy. He loves scents and I really want to explore smells between us, but I don't want to kill him. Does anyone have any notes I should for sure avoid besides the obvious ones?

Edited by russetfox

I have recently added a man thing into my life that has a major nut allergy. He loves scents and I really want to explore smells between us, but I don't want to kill him. Does anyone have any notes I should for sure avoid besides the obvious ones?

I don't have a huge amount of personal experience with this (we had one nut allergy scare with me when I was little, but it was a false alarm), but I did a little research and some people with nut allergies have trouble with coconut, shea, and pink pepper (related to cashew) too. For the most part, though, it's just common sense. See this site for a good list.

You might want to talk to him about what he does with his diet and see if there's anything else that he specifically avoids.

Russetfox, I hear you - my wife has a peanut allergy, and though no bpal has ever set it off, sometimes the smell of a nutty note will make her feel sick & freaked out by association. :s

The whole "unlisted notes" thing makes me really anxious from time, largely because of that - but also recently I saw that the Yule mashed potato scent is garlicky. I'm allergic to garlic, but it's not something I'd ever expected to find in a perfume, even bpal!

Thanks everybody, it was pretty much what I was thinking, just gonna start scouring my oils and make sure I don't wear any potentials around him :)

I want to thank whoever suggested wearing oils on the less sensitive skin on the backs of my arms. After several days of trying a bunch of new scents, including at least one without listed notes, Baron Samedi, that I reacted to, I woke up yesterday with my wrists and inner elbows feeling sensitive, like they were just getting primed to itch. I was afraid I was going to have to go cold turkey to keep my central nervous system from freaking out about all scent, not just cinnamon or whatever I was reacting to. So I put lots of calming lotion on my wrists and elbows, but I put some lovely No. 93 Engine on the backs of my wrists so I can still get my endorphin rush from the fragrance. Seems to be working so far!

So. Kind of a necrobump cause I didn't wanna bother the labbies. Fiance brought with him an old bottle of Jersey Devil. Which has a cranberry note in it.

I'm super allergic to them even tho I love them. Anyone know if they are actually used in the note? Thanks!

This is one of the times when it is absolutely appropriate to contact the Lab, and is not bothering them. When in doubt, better safe than sorry.

This is one of the times when it is absolutely appropriate to contact the Lab, and is not bothering them. When in doubt, better safe than sorry.

I received a response and they said it's an accord, but in the case of my allergy being so severe they wouldn't chance it. Bless the lab. <3

Beth and Puddin are amazing. I have allergies to Strawberry, Kiwi, and Hemp, and while they are generally made with bouquets, accords, and the like, I still react very badly to them.

They are very sweet and do respond whenever they can get a minute when you ask about allergens, so never be afraid to ask.