BPAL Madness!
bloodlotus

Where is this scent?

On the forum Cabaret works fine for me, but on the Lab site it is listed as Caberet so you have to adjust the search accordingly.

that would be a my bad, no clue how that happened because the initial set was automagical... fixed though

I received an order a few days ago that was to replace some leaky bottles I received in April. It was a total surprise--I had forgotten about it, actually. The wonderful, wonderful lab threw in an extra 5 ml, and it was labeled VICE.

BUT...I have Vice and this ain't it!!!

Whatever this is, wet, the predominant note I get is sorta bubble-gummy, fruity and sweet, with something leafy in the background.

Edited to say: As it is wearing on, it is getting berry-ish and sweet--kind of like a cross between Maenad and Tamora, but neither one of those. After more than an hour of drydown it is a berry vanilla scent.

Any clue as to what this might be? After searching notes on the lab site and looking at the reviews, I am thinking it is Hollywood Babylon.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Scylla

It could be Hollywood Babylon or maybe Lolita.....but I'd guess Hollywood Babylon cuz doesn't that have vanilla in it? You lucky girl. I love Hollywood Babylon and Maenad also.

I just had an epiphany.........maybe it's the new Bon Vivant scent ....strawberry champagne scent???

Update: Well, it's definitely not Hollywood Babylon. The Lab sent me a freebie imp of that with my order today and this is definitely not it. The bottle I received is much more strawberry than that, and perhaps grape-y.

So now I think it's Bon Vivant. Has anyone tried both Hollywood Babylon AND Bon Vivant? I wish my computer had smell-o-vision so you all could smell this and help me determine what it is!

I have not actually worn Bon Vivant yet. I just got a sample of it and I sniffed it and I think it's pretty heavy on the strawberry. I'd guess that's it ..........especially since it's not Hollywood Babylon. Hollywood Babylon is a deeper, slightly resinous (amber), strawberry vanilla scent.

I have Bon Vivant. And it sounds like that may be it!

Ya know, Eb has an imp of "March Hare", and NO WAY is it "March Hare"! It's light and mintyish. Neither of us have a CLUE what it is!

-Leslie

Could it be the Mad Hatter maybe? They're both in the same group and with the same initials it could have easier got mixed up.

:P

As far as your 'March Hare' imp, Miss A, I think Astarte is probably right. It sounds like all clues point to Mad Hatter. Mm. Mad Hatter. I love it.

Put it on, see if musk pops its head out and whispers to you. If so, that's Mad Hatter. A little darkness and insanity lurking beneath the pleasant, refreshing pennyroyal.

Edited to say:  As it is wearing on, it is getting berry-ish and sweet--kind of like a cross between Maenad and Tamora, but neither one of those.  After more than an hour of drydown it is a berry vanilla scent.

I'm new to the BPAL scents, but this sounds like the imp of Dragon's Milk I tried yesterday.

Arrrgh! The mystery remains! Just received an imp of Bon Vivant from clover, and it's lovely, but my mystery perfume is NOT Bon Vivant!

So now, I guess I'll have to get my mitts on an imp of Bewitched. Or else some empty imps to decant and send to some of the senior members/experts for identification! :P

P.S.--When I asked my daughter what it smelled like she said "candy," then "No, pink candy," then "or strawberry bubble gum." Pretty astute for a 6 year old! I think her assessment is pretty accurate!

Edited by Scylla

The only other imp I could possibly thing of is Tarot: The Fool and thats quite bubbly and fruity, though it does come with a slight mint effect initially.

Hmmn, I just tried my 5ml of Vice, could it just be that you're smelling Vice without the chocolate, as my skin absorbs the chocolate note a bit more, so I end up with a candy bubblegum effect too, I cant even smell the orange blossom here, how does the note evolve after a while?

Edited by Astarte

look at the lotus-containing scents.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Blood Lotus was very bubblegum-y while wet, and then turned into something like Lust on me (which might be the leafy effect). Black Lotus was entirely different. No bubblegum smell at all. Maybe it was just my body chemistry.

Arrrgh! The mystery remains! Just received an imp of Bon Vivant from clover, and it's lovely, but my mystery perfume is NOT Bon Vivant!

So now, I guess I'll have to get my mitts on an imp of Bewitched.  Or else some empty imps to decant and send to some of the senior members/experts for identification!  :P

P.S.--When I asked my daughter what it smelled like she said "candy," then "No, pink candy," then "or strawberry bubble gum."  Pretty astute for a 6 year old! I think her assessment is pretty accurate!

I don't know if you'll be getting a strawberry vanilla smell from Bewitched. I wear Bewitched all the time, and the berry tends to smell a lot like blackberries or maybe...in a really long stretch...raspberries, but never like strawberries.

I'd say that oubliette's suggestion might have some merit. Although having never smelled Dragon's Milk, I might not be on the right track... But it does have vanilla in it, and dragon's bood can smell very fruity.

Also, this may be *totally* off the mark, but what about Hunger? It's got orange blossom (which is something that it shares with Vice), and vanilla... And you mentioned that it smelled a bit like Maenad, which also has orange blossom in it...

Well, at first it is sort of fruity and green/leafy smelling. Then it gets all strawberry sweet and then it picks up some vanilla (I think).

I've had Vice twice before--in an imp and a 5 ml (this was to replace a leaky 5 ml of Vice) but this isn't ANYTHING like either of the incarnations of Vice that I've tried.

Also, I have tried Dragon's Milk--just received it, in fact. Nope.

Whatever this is, I KNOW it has some sort of berry in it. I looked at Hunger, and it doesn't seem that it has any.

How many sniffs DOES it take to get to the center of this mystery? The world may never know! :P

Edited by Scylla

Scylla -- In my last order I got a 5ml of Bewitched, and I still have a half-full imp of Bewitched from my first BPAL order. I'd be happy to send the imp to you so you can compare. This thread has gotten my curiosity up, I'd love to help solve the mystery!

PMing you about this...

I got an imp called Obeah with my order, but I can't find it anywhere on the site (not listed in the search or Shiny & New) and no one has mentioned it on the forums but me. Am I just bad at searching, going crazy, or...?? Someone clear this up for me.

Sound to me like you got a prototype, tart darling! *grins*

Obeah. Guzzu. Witchcraft, black magic, white magic or religion? To Jamaicans, it is a combination. To older rural Jamaicans, it is as real as the earth. The younger urban population regard it lightly. Everyone, though, has heard of somebody working obeah on someone else. And how you have to careful nuh fi eat from certain people. An' how yu need a bush bath now an' den. An' which obeahman have de good oil fi different tings. An' which duppy fi set pan who,....

taken from: http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~alaing/jfolk.html#obeah

Edited by TygherRayn

Apparently, Obeah is a type of Afro-Jamaican Shamanism, similar to Voodoo... I wonder if this is one of Beth's oils for that shop in LA? There are a ton of Obeah spells/curses out there, so I can't really intuit whether she means for this to be an oil like "Voodoo" or an oil like her "Voodoo Oils"....eg. Black Cat, Van Van, etc.