BPAL Madness!
ipb

Erato

The Lovely. She is the Muse of mimicry, and inspires both erotic and romantic poetry. She is crowned in roses, holding a lyre. Her scent inspires creative expressions of love and lust: a crush of roses with sweet pea, myrrh, ylang ylang, orris and stephanotis.

In bottle: Very faint sweetness

Wet: sweet but with some sharp florals coming up and orris under it all.

Dry: the sweet (pea?) is still there but rather muddy florals are taking it over.

Later: becomes powdery and fades by three hours.

Summary: Not bad but not something that really catches me. Will probably trade.

In the vial, Eratos smells a little like decaying flowers with a muskiness which must be the ylang ylang or myrrh. It settles down on my skin and the decay odor disappears and the musky floral takes over. I don't get a lot of rose, just a bit to make it interesting. Overall this surprisingly smells great on me because I hate anything with rose it in. I associate rose with my old aunt and usually don't even try it. I'm glad that I didn't read the reviews first because I would really like a bottle of this one. It's rich and deep on me. :P

I can smell the roses in this but it’s not sweet and I’m glad – probably the myrrh and ylang ylang ground this composition. Truthfully, this is nothing special to me and the lasting power is not at all very long. It dries down to a faint powdery note that is almost soapy.

I got this as a frimp in ... something I got recently-ish? I'm feeling kind of behind in the reviewing stakes ...

In the imp, I get ... sweet pea, something kind of powdery (the orris?), and ... smushed rose petals. I'm not sure what stephanotis is meant to be like, but if I think white floral things, yeah, they're in the background also. It is rather sweet ... but the powdery kind of soapiness thing I get is scaring me a little.

Wet on skin, it's now roses, with sweet pea and powdery things. Hmm... That's kind of got me a little more worried.

Once dry, it's powdery roses, with sweet pea. Maybe it's decided that since I've just had a shower, it would be good to match the occasion by smelling of powdery rose soap? No, I think this might have to find another home ...

[ETA - darn cat! I wasn't done yet!]

Edited by Girl Android

The roses are so strong it smells almost lemony. Then all I get is a combination of sweet pea, which my skin apparently amplifies, and rose. It doesn't change much over time, and the worst thing about it is that I don't detect the ylang ylang at all.

Out of the imp: Pepto Bismal baby! Sadly, it never made it to my skin. I will send this guy to a more loving home.

Aw, man!! I wish I'd gotten Pepto Bismal.. I would have liked that over what I got lol.

At first sniff, it's all rose and ylang-ylang - nice, but I have a bunch of other rose scents that are better.

Wet - Oh YUCK, sweet pea, through and through. Ugh. Not for me, and this is going straight to swaps.

In the vial:

soft roses

On me:

The rose is dominant in this blend on me - but it smells more like pink roses than red roses - not quite as strong, a little more soft and powdery. Behind that, I get some ylang ylang, which is a little sharp on me. After it dries, I get a tiny hint of sweet pea, but mostly this is rose and ylang ylang and the result is a scent that smells very girly, but also makes me think of hand soap or the smell of Crabtree and Evelyn. It's just a little too floral and a little too mature for me.

Final note:

Maybe it's just my general dislike of rose blends, but they all sort of smell the same to me. Nothing stands out about Erato, and I keep thinking of Crabtree and Evelyn with this one.

I really, really like how Erato smells wet. I get a strong sense of roses, and the ylang ylang and sweet pea make them smell intoxicating. As Erato dries, it's sweet, but the sweet pea is kept in check. The notes start blending, becoming fainter, the orris and stephanotis keeping the scent from becoming overpowering, while the myrrh supports it with warmth. At this stage its throw is feminine and soft, with a bit of soap in a good way, and smelling better than right up next to skin. However, it's that skin scent that shows up when Erato is dry, a soapy/powdery sweetness without much individuality. This imp should make a great room scent, provided I don't use it up by chasing down other people to see if it works better with their chemistry than my own.

In the bottle – Roses and a hint of sweet pea

Wet on me – Wet lush roses

Dry on me – Soft powdery roses

Overall – Whilst rose doesn’t particularly ‘amp’ on me it does tend to smother everything else it to submission and this is another example

Soft sweet pea with traces of ylang ylang. Erato smells a touch powdery, though not full on baby powder, on my skin. As it dries, the ylang ylang becomes more pronounced. I don't get rose any where on my skin, thankfully. This is lovely, though perhaps a tad too girly for me.

Interesting. I thought I'd hate this because sweet pea is usually awful on me, but I don't hate it at all. It smells like a sweet hazy rose scent to me. Not very strongly of any one flower; they're blended very well. It's soft, and not nearly as heady as I was expecting.

I don't wear this type of scent myself, but I'm quite pleased to find out that sweet pea isn't always horrendous on me.

In the imp: Roses. Lots of 'em.

Wet: Rose and ylang ylang.

Drydown: Rose, ylang ylang, mryyh and a little orris. The last two are stopping this from becoming Insane! Rose! Of! Death! on me thank God.

Dry: Rose and myrrh. There could be some other flowers in but I'm not familiar with sweet pea and rose tends to eventually smother everything else on my skin in any case.

This would be lovely for rose lovers, but alas I am definitely not one of those. If it were any other floral dominant I'd probably be all over this because I love myrrh.

Edited by Trishek

This is exactly what I expected the muse of romantic poetry to smell like: soft, powdery rose. It's sweet and very pretty, but not that exciting.

3/5

This packs some PUNCH!!! :P She's the second of the Muses I've tried and both have been the same with the throw element! (Euphrosyne was the other).

At first it's Rose & Ylang Ylang, extremely floral....

After a while, and I mean about 30 mins of good throw, it fades and yay!!!! Sweet Pea my love....only slightly though, it's enough for me to smile because I adore it! I've only recently discovered it and it's there..but only slightly.

I don't get Myrrh at all really during the drydown or in fact at any stage. It definateyl has that powedery smell to it and I can detect the Stephanotis, having just finished my imp of Regan so I think that's what I'm getting.

It's very nice...but VERY strong and Floral. Strong..I suppose like the muses were!

This blend is just generic floral to my nose. It's like a big, elaborate bouquet where you can't tell the scent of one flower from the next.

I'm also getting something powdery from this blend. Not sure where that's coming from, though.

This one just isn't for me. It's nothing special to my nose, and if I'm in the mood to wear something floral, I have a bazillion other scents to choose from.

Bottle: Sweet pea

Wet: Sweet pea and rose, ylang ylang. Kind of perfumey.

Drydown: Way too floral for me, too rosey. But I try every bpal that comes my way!

2.5 outta 5

Wet: Strong sweet pea and ylang ylang - smells like Seduction with an added dry, powdery note (orris) and something quite sugary-sweet.

After a few minutes: This isn't going too well. :P In contrast to most other reviewers, I don't get rose from this; instead it's an unholy alliance of orris, myrrh, sweet pea, and ylang ylang: all notes that sometimes go awry on me. It smells like someone took a bathroom air freshener and set it on fire.

I think this one needs to be on someone else... :D

Octopod: Flowery soap, all the way. Unfortunate.

Kalirren: Nice. At first, this smells like a really spicy floral -- like a rack of flowers in an Indian grocery. This phase is really nice but doesn't last; the spices coalesce into straight orris, reminiscent of Dragon's Bone, which isn't a bad thing at all. Eventually the dry notes disappear and it's left as a really nice floral -- not a soapy one, but real fresh juicy flowers. This one is going to turn into aftershave for sure.

Either my imp of Erato is rather aged, or my wacked-out body chemistry is striking again. Because my experience with Erato was very different from most people's, from what I've skimmed on the review page.

Wet on my skin, Erato has a rather heavy, smoky scent. The orris and the myrrh, maybe? My skin tends to amp resinous scents, soooo maybe that's it.

Anyway, as it dries down, it remains somewhat heavy on my skin. The smoky, woody scent fades and the flowers do come forward a little bit. I never catch more than a faint whiff of rose (which is good!). This is a very smooth, lovely blend, and it goes so well with the idea of it being an ode to the muse of romantic poetry. I admit that I only tried it because it's being discontinued soon, but if I had tried it sooner, I would still have a bottle on the way right now. On me, it is gorgeous on its final drydown - very earthy and sweet at the same time. :P

Edited by emerald_ibis

It's always the same with me and sweet pea. That note dominates everything, usually turning a scent into some sickly-sweet-something for me, but this time with the thugs that are myrrh and ylang-ylang, I now get a slightly bitter backdrop. On the plus side, it is a very gentle floral scent on me, not overwhelming. Not rosey either, just some floral with a drop of powder to it, besides the bitterness. Overall, not too bad, but I can do better. Not a must have.

In the bottle, Erato is tea rose and a few other roses. Wet on my skin, she's tea rose and one other rose over myrrh. Very strong, dark, and sexy. Dry, it's lighter but still very nice. I'm glad I got a bottle.

I got a bottle because it was discontinued and I figured MOST of the notes were good on me.

And all of the florals ARE good on me...but then there is the myrrh. Also known as VoldeMyrrh, the note that my skin amps up and enables to decimate everything in its path. :P

So on me Erato was sweetprettyflowersMYRRHMYRRHsweetprettyflowersVOLDEMYRRH. I'm not sure if I'm going to swap it away or not; the rose and sweet pea smelled SO good. If only the myrrh would not be quite so dominant.

This was just too muddled for me to make heads or tales of the notes. It's floral--I've got that. Beyond just floral I'm lost. It's just too overly sweet and overly muddled for my tastes.