BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Cordelia

The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.

Lilac and wisteria sweeten and soften this scent, which is a tiny bit spicy - something I wasn't expecting. White cedar shines through, while green tea and lemon make this sparkle like the gaze of newlyweds looking at each other across the room, after a few minutes.

I have no idea what osmanthus is or smells like, but I have a feeling it's what's given me the soft ... fluffy? ... feeling about the scent.

Soft, with strength and sentiment.

ooooooh smells clear and ......aouch it burns!

My wrist went bright red within seconds - damnation!! Really think I would've liked this one, I'm tempted to try it again - the ingridients looks so innocent...

The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.

At first sniff it smells a tad bit powdery.

On it smelled exactly like the inside of a craft store by the flowers. I'm not sure what is giving me that feeling, maybe the lilac or the wisteria.

After it dried For a moment I could smell the lemon in it and that lasted only a second before it turned into a toned down version of the craft store smell.

After about 5 mins the smell has faded a bit, it is VERY light and airy.

Now as I smell my wrist I get the vision of a young girl being married off to a man she has not met, as her duty. As she is perfectly content in this marriage because she knows it is duty as a woman.

I don't know if would were this much if at all but I like it. Maybe not for me but a very nice airy light scent.

I was loving the spicyness of this, it was a slightly carnation-like smell, but within 5 minutes the inside of my arm started burning and turned red. Is there some cinnamon hidden in this one?

I too wondered about cinnamon...it doesn't burn, but boy does it smell cinnamony. I wasn't really expecting to like this one, but I love it. It just goes to show that I know absolutely nothing!

It's warm and a bit powdery (I love powdery smells). The spicy beginning tones down when dry and just adds depth and warmth.

Dry it reminds me of Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner (if any one knows what that smells like). I love it....hope hubby does too.

First sniff: Cordelia is white rose embraced by a sweet kitchen spice… a really interesting combination. I can’t tell if it’s cinnamon or clove or something else similar, but it’s a sweet mulling-spices sort of scent dusted over the rose.

Wearing: It’s more of a Red Hots cinnamon on my skin than the true cinnamon-bark scent in Harlot. I’m a bit confused because there’s nothing remotely cinnamony in the “ingredients” list, but apparently I’m not the only one who’s smelled cinnamon in this, so maybe my nose isn’t crazy after all. Both the cinnamon scent and the rose scent (of course there’s no rose in this either) faded quickly and left a pretty watery-flowers scent, somewhat reminiscent of the nonrosy part of Ophelia.

I also got a cinnamon note in this one. at first, in the imp, it just smelled like lilac and lemon to me, but as soon as I put some on the cinnamon came out. really nice. the cinnamon faded a bit after a while and the florals came out. it almost smelled a bit rosy on me. very nice though.

FIRST SNIFF: cinnamon, florals

WEARING IT: cinnamon still, along with sweat (?) & heady florals. unfortunately, i don't smell any lilac, white cedar or green tea in this which is what i really wanted to smell. instead it turns into a sweaty, sour & soapy cinnamon/floral combo.

FINAL VERDICT: really, really wanted to like this one (kevin really liked it) but it just didn't work with my skin :P

I don't share the cinnamon spicey feeling that others who've reviewed Cordelia, rather the powdery scent mentioned by RogueFeenix.

This, although it's a pretty scent, is not something I would wear. The lilac and wisteria blend smelled too heavily flowery for me, and I felt like some 89 year-old in a shapeless flower-print dress who drives too slow and has to "raise the roof" to fix my permed hair.

However, I think this would make a brilliant room scent, diluted.

-doreen

Cordelia is a perfect example of how well the BPAL blends can tell the story of their inspiration.

Initially the musk and wisteria dominate, soon followed by a sweet spiciness and more subtle floral. It's actually rather similar to Alice, except where Alice is rich with milky cakes, Cordelia is woody and grounded. This particular effect really gives it a homey Shakespearian aura.

It summons the images of hard, dark wood in the Tudor style polished with years of everyday use and the heavy, burgundy brocade of a woman's dress. Not an ornate dress of the latest Elizabethan fashion, but a sturdy dress worn to do the things it takes to run a household. It speaks of domestic practicality rather than whimsical sumptuousness. In this respect, the blend perfectly characterizes the steadfast daughter of King Lear.

It lasts a good while on me, though doesn't seem to fit as an everyday summer scent; I'll have to try it again during the winter (most kitchen-spicy scents seem to me wintery). :P

I love this scent! :P

I just got my second imp of Cordelia in a swap, and a 5ml bottle of it would be heaven.

The strange thing is, that when I look at the ingredients, I really don't detect any of them when I smell the blend. To me Cordelia is roses sprinkled with freshly ground cinnamon and sugar. Perfect!

This is like a sweeter version of Harlot. Actually it's a little like a hybrid of Harlot and Chimera: the roses from Harlot and the spicy sweetness from Chimera.

I was actually surprised to see Cordelia has musk in it, since musk and I don't really get along. Either there's so little of it that it doesn't bother me, or Chinese Musk smells very different from other musks. Either way, I'm glad.

The only slightly negative thing that I can think of, is that Cordelia doesn't last long on me. But I'm more than willing to freshen it up as long as I'll always have a steady supply of this gorgeous blend.

:D

-Milk

I'm learning the hard way that most florals don't work on me at all.

In the vial: If Cordelia was a color, it would be bright neon lime green. It bites your sinuses back when you take a sniff.

On me: Nothing but floral baby powder for about fifteen minutes, then poof! Gone. My skin sucks up the floral and leaves nothing behind.

Edited by pekeana

On first sniff, I get a lot of lemon and lilac. And, when I put it on, that's what I smell like-lemon and lilac. Which, really, isn't all together unpleasing. Then it becomes, as someone else likened it to, an eldery woman's perfume. It must be the florals, because it has that "from another generation" sort of aroma. However, on me, it mellows down one more tone to a very, very light floral heightened by the musk. There's also a tiny bit of green tea left in it by that point. It's not all together unpleasing, really, and I find myself liking it more on the second round of testing it than I did the first. The more I warm up to it, the more it's "a timeless feminine scent" instead of "old lady perfume". :P

Anyway, not an everyday scent for me, nor one that made me want to touch myself, but it's certainly very nice and ladylike. *G*

~Pkwench

At first it's woody, an astringent white with some kind of spice. I get a scent close to carrots. You could compare this too Queen Mab and Phantom Queen, only greener. That could be the osmanthus, then.

There's is cedar wood in the background, and wisteria perhaps? This is understated and classy, a spicy musk, job interview stuff, not too strong. Another one I wouldn't have chosen myself, since it's utterly unlike anything I would pick, but I found myself really liking it.

On second application it stuck to my clothes and I got the cloying flower that Queen Mab gave me as well, this way. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not.

Cordelia

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Flowers! Oh yeah, definitely flowers. After about 15 minutes, something else began to surface, but that quickly dissipated. This is a scent very reminiscent of springtime.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The strong flowers have subsided dramatically. I am enveloped in a cloud of sweetness. I can certainly see where this faint scent could be the essence of faith, love and devotion – as I cannot imagine such an essence to be overwhelmingly in-you-face. The notes have blended so well that I cannot detect any one above the others – what a lovely bouquet.

Throughout the Day (10am-4pm): This slowly begins dissipating throughout the day – by 4pm, it was almost entirely gone. Thus far, I’m kinda wavering here as I wasn’t impressed – I shall have to give it another go.

I loved the scent in the bottle (and I agree, it smells nothing like its description). so I slapped some on my neck and arms and within 2 or 3 minutes I was/ am completely broken out in hives wherever it touched my skin!

I'm not sensitive to most things (nettles, poison oak, any other essential oils ever) so I'm really confused as to why this one chose to f--k me up so badly. I'm just hoping it goes away in time for the wedding I'm in this weekend :P

if anyone wants this pretty full (tarted) imp, let me know. we can do a swap or I can just send it to you - I want it out of my house! :D

yikes...

Soft powdery floral, I didn't detect the cinnamon or spice others did on this one. Instead a momentary earthiness grounds this before it faded into gentle powdery softness. This is a light, feminine "good girl" scent to me, Lear's obediant daughter. pretty, but a bit too fluffy for my floral tastes.

I was never a big cordelia fan and since this oil lasts on me about as long as my affection for her, off to swaps.

Cordelia was one of the imps in my first order simply because the description mentioned tea. Unfortunately, the tea aspect of this scent was overpowered by the floral components (I think that it was the fault of the lilac note), and I didn't get any of the spiciness that the other reviewers mentioned. I ended up swapping this one away.

I didn't know what to expect on this one ... on the one hand, lilac is one of my absolute favorite BPAL notes and Blue Lilac was the one single note I had ever purchased before I grabbed a few other imps up in the discontinued madness. I also love Wisteria.

On the other hand, tea and lemon notes have not done well by me in the past.

IN THE BOTTLE: Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Wisteria. Lots of wisteria. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I could stand there and just open and close it and get that first delicious blooming sniff over and over again.

But I don't. I swipe a little on each wrist and in the crook of each arm.

WET: Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. WISTERIA. And something else bubbles up that I can't quite place, something sweet and sugary and a tiny bit sharp.

Oddly enough, I cannot place ANY lilac in here ...

DRYDOWN: The wisteria is taking a back seat to the sweet, sugary, sharp scent ... I wonder if it's the tea or the osthmanthus (which I still don't know what that is). it's getting more powdery and smells like an old maiden aunt. It's not bad, but it's definitely not what I want to smell like.

I really wish I could have retained that initial bottle/wet scent. That was absolutely divine and amazing and faboo. But since you spend most of your time on drydown rather than those initial moments, sadly, this isn't a keeper. Happily, it is on the wishlist of my intended birthday girl so ... hope she enjoys it!!!

By the way ... if anyone out there knows of a BPAL scent that retains that initial floral wisteria scent on drydown, please let me know!!! And I am an idiot for not getting the wisteria single note, aren't I???

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED FEBRUARY 2013:

This was sitting in my imp box and I'm 99 percent sure it's not the same imp from November 2004, and I know I didn't order it, so am guessing it was a frimp from the Lab on an earlier order and that's not a bad thing.

IN THE IMP: Still, happily, getting that lovely white transporting scent of wisteria, and this time I also sensed the lilac I didn't get last time. I also got the teensiest tea note, usually a dealbreaker for me, but not so bad this time.

Dabbed on left wrist and in crook of left arm.

WET: SOOOOOOOOOOOO lovely. Wisteria and lilac. I still have an imp left of that long-ago-bought 5 ML of the Blue Lilac and am still kicking myself for NOT buying a bottle of wisteria, these eight years later. (PLEASE Labbies consider wisteria as your spring SN). I am getting NO lemon (again a good thing) but with me florals tend to change, usually not for the better, on drydown.

DRYDOWN: And indeed, the wet luscious floral dissipates. It is NOT as negative as last time. It's not old-ladyish or powdery. It's not bad at all. But it's nothing special anymore. The tea has amped up, as it's wont to do with me on drydown, and the wisteria and lilac fades.

OVERALL: Could I live with this? Absolutely. But would I reach for it, on the rare occasions I go floral? Probably not. I'd be much more likely to go for my 5 ML of Pontarlier or White Moon.

So with that decided, a tough call, into the swap pile with Cordelia.

Score: A 3 on a scale of 1-5. A 4 when wet though.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

In bottle: Green tea, lemon, and flowers. Seems a bit musky too. This is very light, delicate scent - it seems so simple but you look at the ingredients list and there's a lot in here.

On me: Definitely a scent that brings to mind devotion and purity. There's delicate lemon - not at all Pledge-like - and lilac. The bitterness of green tea seems to be missing; I can't really detect it. This scent really makes me think of the white gauzy gowns favored in the Directiore period by the merveilleuse.

When I first put this on, I could really smell the cinnamon. It has faded down to be very faint, however. I can't pick out any of the other notes very well. After a few hours, it reminds me of babies. Not a smelly baby, heh, but a nice clean baby right after bathtime. I have no idea why or what ingredient could remind me of that, but it really does smell just like the top of a baby's head.

It's a very delicate oil, once the intense cinnamon in the beginning calms down. I could see someone really liking this if they need to have a very toned down fragrance, maybe coworkers who are scent sensitive, etc. :P

Cordelia was sent by the Lab as a freebie :P

I was on a bit of Shakespearian kick this week, having tried Viola the night before and I must say that these ladies are both lovely.

I had no idea what notes were in Cordelia when I first applied it. It was obviously a floral, a complex one at that: there was an underlying sweetness, maybe a faint hint of spice (carnations?) and a definite woodiness to it. Strangely, my nose thought it could smell violets, but I have always been obsessed with violets so I have a tendency to smell them everywhere!

Now that I read the description, I am surprised that I could not detect lemon, green tea or musk as they are some of my favourite notes. I guess the florals dominated the wet stage, whereas woody notes were most prominent during and after drydown.

A very nice, soft floral blend that I enjoyed a lot :D

Cordelia

Initial Impression

Definitely the wisteria, green tea, the musk, and some spices. The rest? Mingled too well to tell.

Wearing It

I have never had such a shapeshifter of a perfume before. I got an imp of this a while ago because I adore lilac, lemon, green tea, cedar, and musk. And with no notes that would do poorly on my skin, this seemed like an obvious success without even trying it. But...I guess I'm glad I tried it. On my skin, this is mainly cinnamon and florals. I can clearly smell the lilac and wisteria underneath the cinnamon, and I'm able to get the faintest hint of cedar and musk. I must have been expecting more lilac and lemon and green tea, and less spice and wisteria; what I have on right now is a nice enough scent, but there's something about the strength of the florals that's putting me off.

First impression: floral, not really my kind of thing. After a few hours the lemon and musk come out a bit more; I never found the tea at all. R. classes it as "instant headache", to the point of having to walk around the area where I'd been standing when I asked for his opinion. Overall, not memorable for me either; away to the swap pile with this one. Which is kind of too bad, because a different Cordelia -- Countess Vorkosigan, from Lois McMaster Bujold's Barrayar books -- is one of my favorite literary characters.

ETA: Wow, that was fast! This one didn't survive to make the swap list, it's already gone. Thanks, SoapyRN!

Edited by stardreamer

cordelia is lovely! it reminds me a bit of (old) shanghai, probably the lemon and green tea? anyway, cordelia is fresh, light and very feminine! its not cloying, however, or overly floral. a very well balanced blend, i think this might be a good way to start enabling some friends towards bpal...