BPAL Madness!

Polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise, and thin lubricating oils.

It's odd... I *love* the smell of leather via the real thing, but for some reason leather notes in bpal make me feel somewhat sick to my stomach; I'm not sure what it is but they react very badly for me. So I wasn't really hoping for much out of this one, because usually whichever note doesn't work on me is the one I amp in a blend. I also don't like metallic notes, because they go straight to men's cheap cologne.

Soooo, imagine my surprise to find how lovely this is on me. All the notes blend together so smoothly, I don't get an O HAI THAR from any of the things I don't like. It *does* lean just a tad toward men's cologne, but it manages to stay right over the line into acceptable territory. I like "manly" scents, I just can't usually do them with leather or metallic in them, so I'm fairly pleased that this comes off on me as a nicely blended, smooth, dusky, sophisticated scent... more manly than feminine, definitely, but quite nice.

[edited to add lab description!] Edited by Shollin

I put a little bit of oil on my wrist to try this, and I liked it so much I smeared some more all over the back of my hand. Hee. It's a very interesting scent! It doesn't smell like any one thing to me, really, it's a very good combination of scents. It seems like I can smell a little bit of leather in it, but it's not overbearing at all. The star anise is very well-behaved, and the frankincense is blending with the metallic notes very well.

It does seem like this could easily be a masculine scent, but it doesn't seem stringently masculine to me. It's dark and pretty smooth -- smoother than I expected, anyway, based on the description. On me it wears like a skin scent. I like it.

In The Bottle

Smells thin, slightly sweet and, yes, metallic

On Application

Leather and anise. Could this be love?

Dry Down

Cool and cologney. A bit of spice contributed by the anise and frankincense. I would classify this as a masculine scent. Worth considering a bottle.

Rating (0-5)

I'm not sure what in the blend does it, but Robotic Scarab makes my eyes feel funny and my nose itch :P It's the first blend I've had a physical aversion to.

Considering I love leather notes, and anise, I'm going to have to blame the "lubricating oils" and the metallic notes, as this is the first metallic I've tried. Wet, it has sort of a "cologne" scent, no specific notes discernable, but as it starts to waft, it starts to bug me (No pun intended, gah).

:D

Enter the absolute perfect leather scent, so accurately desribed as glossy. I could go on for days about BPAL's leather notes (which is actually weird because I'm a vegetarian :P )... This leather is so soft, sweet and pliable, more like a pair of fine gloves than a jacket (or chaps! that would be Western Diamondback.) I am reminded of the Blockhead's leather note, but his is scuffed, faded and soft...the Robotic Scarab actually is glossy. The seamless combination of the leather, metallics, and herby golden resin positively shimmers on the skin. *sigh* beautiful.

Robotic Scarab I received as an imp because I wanted to try out "strange" scents.

I wasn't very impressed with this, to be honest :/. At least, on me. I can pick out "metallic" if I try, and leather, etc. But really, it smells like the masculine version of "Tempest". Which has Ozone. and so I feel "metallic" (or maybe the "lubricating oils") and ozone share a lot in common. It's not a bad smell, really. It just smells very perfume-y (in tempest's case) or cologne-y in Scarab's case. I suppose I prefer more herbal/fruity/etc blends then cologne or aftershave.

I get wafts of different scents when I'm about my day. Sometimes I smell very much like aftershave, other times very much like tempest. The leather is the backbone of this scent (not the forefront, but there and always dependable) but it isn't the leather scent I've grown to love in Dee. So I'm not quite as happy as I thought I may be.

As it ages on my skin, the cologne/aftershave becomes less, and like usual, the leather has staying power. The drydown to nothing is more or less leather, and free of the metal and electric, a lovely leather. I suppose this scent is a learning experience for me. I don't like metallics ^^'

So I felt encased by a waft of cologne all day. It was very man, as well. I like to try to pull off masculine scents on my little feminine frame, but this was beyond me to try. lol.

Aside from being negative and sad about this scent, I do know of a man I think this may work wonders for. He often brags about how he smells like metal and sweat (he's a bit of a computer nerd and so add in "Electronics" as well). This smell reminds me of him. I think it reminds me of tempest for the same reason. There's a tang of electricity running through the background for me, plus the metallic smell. Someone mentioned Steampunk, and definitely was right. A tangy electric note is what makes this quirky.

So I wont be shipping this off to trades just yet. I want to see if it will accentuate my male friend's metal & sweat to delicious places.

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

Out of the imp: Sharp, masculine vetiver smell sweetened by...frankincense..or...*sniff* possibly something in the ozone category? (I'm not too familiar with ozone/aquatic scents but I do detect something that might be described as such).

Wet on skin: Very sharp..and then it rounds out and softens a bit. This definitely has some ozone/aquatic characteristics with a background of leather and resin.

Dry: As this dries it mellows out even more. I can't smell any star anise...or...maybe that;s the sharp note I'm still smelling faintly in the background? "Polished metallic" is definitely the way to describe this! It's shiny, bright and smooth around the edges. That sounds so abstract but I can't think of any other way to describe it. This is definitely masculine but still something I could wear. It almost reminds me a bit of The Phoenix. I'm going to have to go re-sniff it just to be sure though.

Verdict: A nice surprise! This was completely different than anything else I normally try. I picked this up mainly becasue of the leather and anise notes. The Robotic Scarb isn't what I expected but instead, better! A nice surprise it was. I'll be using all of this imp :P

When I recieved the imp, I went to read the description and was really curious to try such a strange mix of ingredients.

In the imp: I smell a very green perfume, something like pine, but with something metallic in the background. I assume this must be the anise.

Wet: still very green but the metallic has morphed into cinnamon and spices, becoming warmer.

Dry: Frankincense comes up to make it more warmer. After a while all I can smell is rubber and smoke, very pleasant.

Now I know that my skin kills leather tones, because I couldn't detect them and the same thing happened to me with Dragon Hide.

I like this smell, even if it's slightly masculine, but I think it's very sexy.

As usual it's not very long lasting (I have still to find a perfume that lasts on me more than 2 hours - the only exceptions are Avignone by Comme de Garcons and Eau Lente by Dyptique).

Have to have a bottle - NOW!!!!

Wet: Cologne

Dry: ... Cologne.

I love leather notes (Western Diamondback and Quincey Morris are two of my favorites.) I love anise and cinnamon. I love frankincense like whoa. Unfortunately... I can't smell ANY of them in here. I suppose it's the 'metallic notes'... but this appears to be purely an ozone scent on me, and is virtually indistinguishable from half a dozen other ozone blends I've tried (Lightning springs to mind.) I suppose it's a little more mellow than Lightning, but it's close enough that I'm not spurred to need a whole bottle of it.

Vial: Resiny incense with anise in the background. I'm convinced I might actually like this, which is a surprise since I don't like anise. It definitely has that "glossy" which I attribute to the anise.

Wet: Accck, I think I slathered on too much. :P It's smelling more like anise now, and my mind is waffling between like and dislike. It smells of frankincense and myrrh swathed in anise-cured leather.

Dry: Severe conditions test run (read: running at the gym)! Oh boy, this really warmed up on my skin. There's a rich warmness draping the other notes that's very reminiscent of vanilla. Yuck.

Throw is very stong on me.

Not sure if I want to test out the lasting power since I don't really like it in the first place.

I'm labeling this on the cusp of masculine. If you like anise and resins, then this blend is for you.

Another of skepticism's imps! :P

Wet in imp - Frankincense, anise and the oils with a faint metallic tinge, Very unique and intriguing!

Wet on skin - Mostly frankincense with that metallic tinge. Almost no anise.

Dry on skin - Very close to wet on skin. The frankincense is very light and bright, like a shiny scarab. It does have a faint lubricant air, but not too much. This smells like a fresh, masculine cologne. It has a LOT of throw on me, too.

frankincense with cloves, and some anise to liven it up. So very yummy, though it does occasionally give me a wee bit of a rash if I'm not careful. I don't get much of a leather or metallic feel out of this one, though as a color it makes me think of dark, burnished copper.

When I first read the ingredients for The Robotic Scarab, I thought it sounded gross! I have never really tried any perfumes with these notes before. Anyways, my friend received imps of the Steamworks scents and I fell in love with Robotic Scarab with my first sniff!

Wet: I can't really pick out any singular notes as I have no experience with the notes present in this scent. I do get sweets with a bit of sweet metallics.

Dry: I can't think of anything else that smells quite like this scent. It is so unique and lovely! Smells sweet (but not too sweet) with a bit of green herbs in the background. I don't like foody scents, so this is more of a plant/green sweet smell rather than a sugar sweet.

Lasts: This is the kind of scent that lasts all day on me. Around 8 hours or so.

Definitely one of my favorites. I already have a 5 ml bottle and am already considering on stocking up on more. It will be a very sad day if this scent is discontinued.

This scent is superbly blended, and none of the notes really stands out, but there are hints of everything listed. Somehow when I wear this, I'm reminded strongly of Djinn, although the Scarab is more polished and less smokey/firey. It's kind of glossy and shiny. It took me a few tries to accept this scent, but once I did, there was no turning back. I like it!

I can't believe that I never reviewed this.

Wet in bottle and drydown on skin....leather, a slight metallic oil and incense.....:P Gorgeous, beautiful incense. It gets better with age and I love it. Must get back up bottle!

Add me to the "this is so well-blended!" camp. I can't believe the leather's just a nice little note in here and not the strong Leather of Doom. This reminded me a bit of Sin, of all things, when wet, but dry it's not nearly as sweet. The metal and oil notes are there but they're very smooth. A great cologney scent.

At first I smell spiced wine...must be the frankincense...and a metallic tang underneath. If this is leather, it is a very sweet leather...like being wrapped in a cocoon of leather. Absolutely lovely, and very comforting. I have a bottle already!

Ok...my curiosity got the better of me. I couldn't wait for another day to try another Steamworks scent.

Imp: Mostly beautiful frankincense with a hint of leather.

Wet: Ok...there the metallic note kicks in. The scent is very eastern but oddly sanitized. I really can picture it as a robotic scarab. Up close there is more of a bland scent of leather and lubricating oils but from farther out there is a swirl of frankincense scented smoke.

Dry: The throw just keeps improving. That frankincense is much more complex. The spicy star anise and leather start to mingle.

Overall: Another unique and unexpected offering from the Steamworks.

Another vote for the "well-blended" camp.

Imp: Frankincense with a green afternote.

Wet on skin: Still frankincense but the bottom notes are strengthening. The frankincense gives it a metallic tang, but doesn't go over to the cheap-cologne scent I was afraid of. It's borderline, but rescued itself in the drydown.

Dry: Smooth frankincense (usually for me it's harsh and leaves a metallic tang until it's washed off), a sweetness that can almost be tasted at the end of each whiff that must be caused by the anise, and an underlying base that keeps it all from being too light and sharp, which must be the leather note.

I rarely like frankincense because it's so often too metallic and dominant on my skin. This one was kind to me.

There's almost no throw, unfortunately; and it's gone in a couple of hours.

This is a sweet, thick smell with a whiff of floral (?) and heavy leather. Gorgeous and surprisingly light. Unisex scent with fantastic throw and good staying power.

I did not think I would like this. That's why I didn't order a bottle when PS&RF splashed onto the scene. BUT, I got a sniffie of it today and I really like it, surprisingly!!

It's floral but not cloying "FLOWERS!" scent. It also reminds me of machinery. Like well oiled machinery, I keep picturing an elementary school classroom. What smells like this in there?!? Electric pencil sharpener? Don't know. But I like it, so much so, in fact, that I'm adding it to my bottle list.

In the bottle – Soapy aftershave

Wet on me – Coldly metallic with a little leather coming through

Dry on me – The leather comes out a little and goes peppery

Overall – I have to say, as much as I love the concept, I’m not having much success with the steampunk blends

Wet, it's cool leather (sort of like De Sade) with warm oils and metallics. As it dries, the metallics get a little bit sharper and more aquatic. The metals are similar to Phoenix Steaworks, but with a brighter edge.

Once dry, the star anise emerges, adding light, sharp spice. It doesn't scream licorice, just suggests it. The frankincense also comes out, and adds a nice, light smokiness. It's not very dark, just fuzzy.

In the end, it's a warm, fuzzy, slightly oily scent contrasted by leather and sharp metals. After about 10-15 minutes, the metals are just a coloring note, not the main note. I don't normally like metallics, but this is very nice. It starts out masculine but ends up pretty unisex.

It's a little like a cross between Phoenix Steamworks and No. 93 Engine, but darker. No. 93 is bright and clean, Robotic Scarab is more of a dark orange glow.

in the imp: this is really, really well blended. i can't say that i can pick out any individual notes at all here. it's just mildly sweet, but not foody.

wet on skin: the leather is poking it's nose out a bit, but mostly this is still VERY blended.

dry down: i get more of the leather, but not the overpowering leather of, say, De Sade. like a worn chair kind of leather. and something that's vaguely sweet-maybe the anise?-that's keeping the leather in check. but i get no metal or lube oil notes from this, as i did with Needle In a Haystack or something like that.

in all: a mellow leather for daytime wear, should you be so inclined.