BPAL Madness!

Metallic notes with Indian musk, tobacco flower, and African balsam.

imp: this smells like some generic bathroom cleaner.

wet: this doesn't smell clean at all to me... i suppose it still smells like some sort of cleanser, but the background scent is... unpleasant.

dry: this smells like soap. not the kind of floral soap that rose smells like, i mean like i've unwrapped a bar of ivory and have begun to lather up. i don't know why this smells so strange on me, but sadly, it's a "no".

This is a masculine, musky, sexy scent with metallic overtones. A woman can wear it but I feel as if I've snuck my lover's shirt to wear and can smell him on the shirt.

The scent is...difficult to describe.

Imagine a man (well, mostly a man) of indeterminate age and ethnicity. He could a 20-something Greek, or a Filipino centenarian. He's not exactly attractive, but not exactly not. It's that he's a bit...peculiar-looking. Not in Steve Buscemi way, it's just that the light in his eyes and the twist at his mouth suggests a non-specific, generally-harmless madness, that, under the right conditions, can be both very specific and very specifically-harmful. Although it is doubtful that that madness will ever be directed at you, it's best to be careful never to give it reason to. He has a giant mechanical hawk that he uses for cross-country travel and speedy getaways. He calls it his Clockwork Cock, because the alliteration amuses him, not that he thinks it's a chicken. That would be madness.

He wears a coat that has entirely too many epaulets, none of which are in the proper spot for an epaulet, and looks as though it outlived it's maker (which it has). His hair is remarkably clean, and curls in such a way that suggests it's attempting to escape. Looking at him, you can't help but hear a theremin's music, with the occasional terrible note from a melancholy oboe meandering through, kicking over trashcans and pulling up flower beds. He enjoys explaining and describing things, it pleases and calms him, makes him feel useful and a Contributing Member of Society, so, as part of Society, be sure and ask lots of questions. His mother died when he was small and she was still God. Upon meeting his father for the first (and last) time, he was convinced he was the Devil, and acted accordingly for a devout young man with many interesting devices hidden about his person.

At some point, you will have to climb aboard the Clockwork Cock-That's-Really-A-Hawk, because the only other option is fire. While leaning on his back, clutching at the inappropriate epaulets and trying not to look at the disappearing ground and approaching clouds, you find your face closer to his than you find entirely comfortable. He's wearing a pair of ridiculous-looking, old-fashioned bomber goggles (for the bugs, you see). You, however, are not, for he has no spares, never expecting anything riding shotgun that was in a position or state to complain about such annoyances. His earrings are ornate and have no pairs, each one unique, each a intimate union of the organic and the mechanical. If you pull your face too far away from him, they become bothersome little windchimes slapping across your face. You're forced to press your face closer to his, before that steel-and-claw one takes out a tooth. You see him eye you sideways for a long moment, and then grin, or at least pull his lips away from his teeth, reminding you that his canines are entirely too long for comfort. As you try not to look, and try to come up with some questions of cumulus clouds that will require a long and involved explanation, your nose presses close to his temple and the smell of his sweat on his skin mingles with the sweet smell of the old leather of the goggles, the odd cleanliness of his hair, the hot metal of the Clockwork Cock, the atmosphere and the fear and the tension and the canines too long for comfort.

That's what Galvanic Goggles smells like. More or less.

Decant: metal and man

Wet on Me: metal and the tobacco flower and the balsam in a very nice blend. I smell like an old boyfriend and damn he was goooood!

Drying down: geds this is good. Metal and man and balsam and tobacco flower…and the teeeenist sweetness of musk..but nothing to take away from the MAN! Srsly…I need to go slather this on my man and just……..well ya know

Dry: this thing dries like it starts….wrapping me in a warm cocoon of metal and man and yumminess. I can’t stop huffing my wrist. I have to close my office door so I don’t get funny looks. What is it with me and metal scents? \m/\m/

This is the indian musk from Black Lace, with a metallic edge. I think it's the metals making it masculine for me. I associate those scents with my grampa. Its comforting, but I think probably because of my own scent associations. The tobacco flower adds a bit of smoothness, while the balsam gives it a bit of depth. I like it, but I think I would prefer it on a man.

I loved Persianmouse's description of an odd man with a background soundtrack of theramin and oboe :lol: This was indeed an odd scent, but where Aelopile was a bit metallic, masculine, oily and odd - this one is bold, metallic, masculine and odd in a good way! A strong dash of men's cologne which I actually kind of like - I do wonder what it would smell like on DH, but I'm keeping it for myself ;) This grips me with metalic claws like Bakeneko does with musk and I'm really enjoying its throw and combination of notes. Keeper, but I don't think I'll need more than my imp. (I think I love this line more than any other in the bpal catalogue!)

Edit to say I checked the notes upthread again... musk - no wonder I love you ;) and the African balsam must be helping with the dirty/dusty vibe. Nice.

Edited by rayvn1

in the imp; VERY perfumy. Floraly without being specific to any flower.

Wet: Still perfumy but tones down fast. I read the description at this stage. I think the metallic notes might be what's making this such a heady, airy blend. It's like most "Fresh Linen" candles I can see very much why people might call this cologney, as it reminds me of manly deodorant. Possibly Ban.

Drydown: this gets less heady as it dries but still very airy. It's got a very strong ozone note to it. It's like a storm or something. This is CLEAN. It's definitely very "personal producty"

Dry: Yup. Deodorant. I'm guessing it's the metallic notes?

Conclusion: I acually really like this. I think on a guy it would be refreshing and a scent I would cuddle close to and sniff. I'm actually a huge fan of the scent of most male deodorants, there's just something about them that make me want to lean in and huff all day--just something manly! LOL Problem is, on me, it's too masculine and it's quite strong with good throw--I don't think I could pull this off as anything more than a "wearing to bed when my SO is not around so that I can sniff manlyness and have it relax me to sleep." I'm not sure yet if this is going into the swap pile. I like it a lot even if I can't wear it! I kinda want an excuse to keep this around XD If only my SO wore scents.

This is strongly ozone which must be what passes for "metallic notes" and I'd describe it as unisex leaning towards masculine. It's a very strong scent both in the imp and on my skin. The metallic notes are dominant with the other three notes pretty much equal. If my bf smelled like this I think I'd rip his clothes off. It's cool musky, sexy and moreish. This one doesn't morph on my skin at all the scent is true from imp to drydown.

Overall I don't think I would wear it but I wouldn't mind it on a guy, in fact I'd probably buy it for him. The peru balsam can tend towards powdery here and it reminds me of old fashioned mens cologne. ALthough you'd kind of expect that with a steampunk theme. Not a keeper for me.

Got this with the massive order of Yules I received last week. If I had to sum this up in a phrase, it would be "Victor Victoria."

Initial wet stage: Oil, heavy metal, and a familiar cleaner or solvent. I think other posters may have nailed it with it being the big gold bar of Dial. This isn't a bright, sparkly metal flowers like Metal Phoenix.

First drying stage: This is hardcore perfume. Floral. In your face floral. I was concerned that I'd run in to "old lady" territory because of how big this smell became.

Second drying stage: A man's cologne or shaving cream. Warm, spicy, woody, a little green, and clean. The oil is still lurking, but it's not as pronounced as it was freshly wet.

Dry: This doesn't know what it wants to be. I smell the manly part of this but occasionally get a whiff of something feminine and green; the boyfriend smells expensive perfume soap and something he can't put his finger on.

I like this because it's hard to pin down on me. It's sure to make some men sufficiently uncomfortable. ^_^

Edit 12/19: I put this on the boyfriend to see if he would smell better on him. In a word: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! GG was manly on me, but turned in to the classic "old lady" perfume of doom on him.

Edited by DigitalCoyote

In the imp, I'm getting a metallic note combined with the linen note in Black Lace in this, makes me uneasy. On my skin, it's a combination of metal and man. Hrm. We'll see what this does. The tobacco flower comes out as it does in many blends and dominates, turning this into my dad's cologne. yeah. Passing this on.

Edited by Venneh

:::GALVANIC GOGGLES:::

Holy-Hellfire, this is GOOD! Everything in the Phoenix Steamworks & Research Facility line tried so far has been nothing short of extraordinary, but this fact did little to prepare for the way that Galvanic Goggles would ascend, stratospherically and, yet again, totally redefine the perameters of olfactory sensation and experience.

Galvanic Goggles should come with a warning: "Sit'cher butt down and affix something plush to yer head before you go a sniffin' this one!"

Sniffing Galvanic Goggles from a newly opened bottle was disturbingly akin to toying with a mercilessly potent hallucinogen. The mind-expansion part of it is clearly and appreciably here, but, there are SO many IMPORTANT bits included that NOBODY TOLD YOU ABOUT... Thank goodness for nobody watching when this was given a go!

Right away, the impression is that of being impossibly clean and beautiful; the stuff with the otherworldly glow in science fiction. Weird, but really nice!

Just about the time that the Tobacco Flower note registers, and then fuses with the metal, everything gets a bit WTFish. This might sound a mite exaggerated, but the closest description that comes to mind is that the head had to CHANGE SHAPE in order to facilitate the recognition of this fragrance... yes, really.

The first reaction was to stand bolt upright, cringe a moment, and then blink accusingly at the bottle as it appreciated the clock on the wall and hummed to itsself in tritones.

Next was this trembly bit of leaning forward and hesitantly stretching forth a hand to scoot the bottle closer for another sniff...

The SAME FREAKIN' THING! (suspiciously eyes the rye toast).

After a brief interlude with coffee and a somewhat embarassed little dog, back in for one more try.

OK, the Balsam comes in as a sort of mediator and tosses a gaily coloured life-preserver, that further exploration might not be so unnerving.

Now there is the element of cologne to this. This would be the stuff that the CIA or secret service would wear... Possibly the Men in Black. Truly disruptive to sensible brainwaves. Teflon as a first language.

On the skin, there is a comforting, nice symbiosis as it greens up, waxes more organic and clean. (Oh, there you are, sofa! Nice sofa. Safe sofa. Non-ululating sofa.)

The African Musk finally arrives with a knowing look and smooths out the entire fragrance with a pat on the head that seems to say, 'There, there, you big silly'.

What, exactly, Galvanic Goggles are for is cool, but if they are for gazing across dimensions, there should have been a warning. Not for beginners.

Galvanic Goggles is a really amazing fragrance. This was probably meant for Him to wear in order to make a very unique and memorable first impression.

This would be as natural on Her as a waxed moustache.

Very much a favourite 5/5!

Get some!

Edited by impolight

Upon putting it on, I'm greeted with the warm scent of soup and eucalyptus smell (menthol perhaps?). Not very pleasant, seems almost like my body wash I put on myself. I think the soap smell is coming from the wood, I tend to amp certain woods very unfortunately and I think that's what happening here. The wood has calmed down and I definitely get the tobacco flower and the musk, but unfortunately it's starting to make me sneeze. Off to the swaps sadly. Glad to try it though.

In terms of metaphors, persianmouse NAILED IT.

In terms of what it smells like on me: started as furniture varnish; ended as cheap men's aftershave.

EPIC FAIL.

Warm, musky metal!! But sexy, wearable metal, really. This strikes me as very masculine, but I think I could pull it off with a leather jacket. I'm not getting any florals from this one, which I like. I'm going to have to try this one on the boy.

I had reviewed this a while ago, when I didn't really understand it. I have grown to love this so much. This is the first metallic scent I have ever tried. I love the musky drydown that lasts forever, as well as the complex, citrusy opening. This is awesome on its own as well as layered (I like it with The Lights of Men's Lives or Haunted!).

I just can't get enough of it

Edited by ModderRhu

Definitely smells like bathroom cleaner in the imp and first wet, as a previous poster stated. Warmth comes out as the spices and balsam get a chance to open. This is clean, lightly metallic, and warm.

In the bottle: Dark yellow oil. Metallic and commercial perfume.

Wet: Amber, resin, and Off bug spray. Husband says it's 'Not bad', which is one of his few positive reactions to something I also don't mind the scent of. He actually agreed to let me put some on him.

Dry: Clean and fresh. Very metallic and chromey. I'm getting a hint of Irish Spring, but it doesn't smell nice to me the way Irish Spring does.

After a few minutes: The metallic note is getting cloying and nauseating. I smell machine oil and metal.

After first hour: This smells unpleasantly heavy and cloying. I tried to give it a chance, but I think I need to wash it off.

Final verdict: Bleah. Another one for the bottom 10.

Wow. I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do.

It was given as a frimp in my last order and I bestowed it onto my man as he likes fresh, watery, soapy scents but hasn't tested it out yet. So of course I had to do the honors.

The dry down on this is beautiful. Where this scent initially is very cool and calming when wet, after about an hour or so it really warms up and has the most interesting composition. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds me a bit of Agent Provocateur's name sake perfume on the dry down...heavenly.

At first it was hard to place what the smell was like wet, but as I thought about it, I figured it was some sort of household cleaner. Pleasant for cleaning the bathroom, but not something I'd want to smell like. As it sat, it started smelling like a generic man's cologne or deodorant -- again, pleasant on a man after a shower, but not for me. It sat some more, and I recognized a dominant note from R.M. Renfield, probably the balsam. I like it now, but considering I already have a bottle of Renfield and the two are really similar to my nose, I think I'll pass this on to someone else.

In The Imp

The metallic scent is quite prominent here. It has a mild alcoholic burn-- the sort you often get with perfumes-- but the other elements stop it from being unpleasant. There's a sort of sweetness underneath it all.

Wet On Skin

Much sharper then in the imp; it almost has a citrusy eucalyptus tang to it. The muskiness is apparent, but mostly covered by the metal.

Dry On Skin

The metal's calmed down, though still hanging around. Now the musky scents have come out, giving it a soft but masculine feeling, but with a hit of sweetness. I really have no idea what tobacco leaf or balsam smell like (or at least, I don't think I do), so I can't say how well they stand out individually. Heady, but nothing that'll make you feel like falling over.

Longevity

Expect this on to be on you for the duration. It's OK, go to sleep; it'll be there when you wake up.

Color

Silver and brass and brown-orange with a little swirl of light, light green-blue.

Every once in a while a frimp goes immediately from trial to MUST GET!! Such was the case with this. I had no expectation of liking it as much as I did, but it really, really works on me. Such a unique, but indescribable mixture between the metal/ozone and the floral that's both comforting and compelling 9/10.

My first impression was that it smelled like manly soap.

I wasn't too eager to try it on but put it to the side of my desk to try later. The next morning I'm sitting at my desk and I keep smelling soap. Eventually it's so soapy and overwhelming that I start to feel kind of ill. When I checked around to find the source it was a leaky imp of Galvanic Goggles. On paper this blend should be heaven for me, but the reality is quite the opposite.

This was actually the second scent I ever tried.

In bottle the scent is a little soapy, with a faint sharpness from the musk. Irish spring has been used to describe it and thats not too far off, though it is much more mild and inviting. It doesnt beat you over the head with the scents but also isnt shy about them. You get the immediate impression that this is a masculine scent, though my first thoughts were "if I ever find a woman who wears this constantly, I will never search for love again." It is very much a scent that rouses passion in both sexes.

Wet on skin is a little different. The soapiness fades quickly but not entirely and ends up hiding in the background like shaving lather. The sharpness turns into a warm but pointed spice that is muted by the metallic notes, like old spice and motor oil (but in a good way). I've worked in tool and repair shops where there were a lot of metallic shavings and leather, this scent when wet is very much like the smell of those old shops.

Dry this scent loses nearly all the soapiness and that which remains simply provides a base that reminds me of the old foam shaving creams. The notes of spice seem to fade more and the metallic notes are given more attention. The upshot is a refined, mature scent seemingly intended for those interested in being the smiling gentleman in the corner of the room, out of the action but always in control.

Mixes very, very well with The Black Rider (at least on me).

Hope this helps.