BPAL Madness!
antimony

Wings of Azrael

Azrael is the Angel of Death, marked as the last being to die in the Apocalypse. Though a harbinger of doom, his duties are an act of mercy: he curtails human life before world-weariness and despair destroys our spirits. Warm myrrh swirled with a bittersweet blend of violet, Lily of the Valley, juniper, cypess and cajeput.

Overall very sweet but there is kick from the Juniper. Mmmm very violety.

Wet: Very strong and sweet Lily of The Valley smell, light Juniper and iolet.

Drydown: Juniper comes on stronger. My body likes Juniper. This might be agood scent for a woman or someone more feminine than me. I like it, alot, but it is too floral for me. Edited by Shollin

Ooo, I like this. This is green, wet and very kicky - a jungle scent. Sorry, I just don't associate this with Death! Instead I feel like I should be exploring Mayan ruins. This isn't pretty per se but it is very energizing so I'll keep it around my office for that reason.

at first: this lab tossed this one is an extra. it has a lot going on. i can smell the myrrh, but the rest is just a blur.

on: i can smell the cypress and juniper. they're cool and fresh. there's also a sweet, heavy violet, with the myrrh enveloping everything else to make it incense-y. interesting and prettier than i had thought it would be.

half an hour later: sharp and soapy.

1 hour later: very soapy, with something musty underneath.

1.5 hours later: still soapy and grossly musty.

2.5 hours later: blech. musty soap.

overall: this is awful on me.

~ WINGS of AZRAEL ~

In the bottle: Woodsy violet with a hint of minty cajeput

Wet: Juniper, cageput with a hint of violet

Dry down: The juniper and mintiness is still very much in my face- can't catch any myrhh or cypress - just a hint of violet and lilly of the valley

Conclusion: This just isn't doing it for me. Too minty-juniper and not enough myrhh or floral. I would reccomend this to anyone who likes Ultraviolet though - they might enjoy this. Into the swap pile....

Well, here I was thinking "ugh, no violet" after my experiences with Numb and Ultraviolet, both of which were "um NO" on me -- I'm pleased to report that I've found a violet blend that I really like. (and I'm loving myrrh, so that probably helps).

I'm loving this one, actually. I really appreciate the balance of floral and non-floral notes - there's something removed about the violet/lily -- it's almost like walking past the flowers, then catching their scent lingering a few minutes later instead of the scent of the flowers being right in front of you. This, combined with the earthiness of the other notes, makes for a surprisingly pleasant and comforting blend. I'm going to keep the imp and decide if I'd wear it enough to justify a bottle. It puts me in a good mood.

Received this in a swap today.

I'm so very positively surprised by this one, as usually I can't stand neither myrrh nor violet in great quantities.

However, in WoA, both seem to be relatively light and well tempered by maybe each other or the woody notes.

To me this is greyish-brownish-violety-ashy. Very much wings, yes. Of a death angel, dark violet greyish colour and similar to bats' wings really.

It's quite dusty and woody and with some sweetness underneath from the violets and lily of the valley.

On me (having my period, so I'm not sure, it'll be the same next week) this doesn't turn soapy at all, but rather gains warmth as it's drying. I think it's the myrrh (which is usually kicked by my skin) and maybe the cajeput (don't really know what that smells like).

This slightly reminds of the Rat King, because of it's dustiness, but no musk here, and WoA is quite richer and sweeter in scent.

It feels very comforting.

Pine-y, juniper-y. It's fresh and clean smelling, but not one of my favorites. Now that I'm in a slight rut, though, I kind of wish I still had an imp of this around. Oh well!

Myrrh and violets? Who would have thought of this but Beth? :P This is beautiful! The lily of the valley softens what seems to be a bite from pepper, the myrrh is grounding and softens the pepper and the violet is subtle and adds a richness to the lilies. What a complex, incredible mixture. I will keep this in my repertoire, most definitely.

Wings of Azrael

I bought a set of christian theme imps for a friend and this was perhaps the only one I thought I might like myself. I get some coniferous wood and perhaps a hint of ginger, something that reminds me of my beloved Siren, other than that it's skarp and orental. It dries sharper still to sweet, woody soap. Damn my soap-chemistry, but I have more perfumes than I could ever use anyway...

When wet, I tought that was definitely boysh.

Now is still masculine in some way, under the flowers courtain... but I really like it.

It ispires me something melancholic, heavy and sadly powerful... a cimiterial mable statue. Gorgeous.

I definitely won't wear it to seduce someone, but I think it will be precious to make me believe more in my male, calm and strong, side.

It's delicate, but really "complete"... every time I sniff it I like it more and more.

(yet, another "good girl scent"... I'm still longing for the evil one)

This is truly a unique blend. The warm sweet myrrh forms a nice base. Because of the cypress/juniper combo, I thought it would be more woodsy/pine-y, but it's not. It's more "herbal" or "green." There’s a bitter note that I can’t put my finger on.

After about 10 minutes, it reminds me of an Indian restaurant! Hey, that’s a good thing. But what is it?

20 minutes -- now it's very sweet. The myrrh has really come out. The bitterness has gone and it's more floral -- the violets have arrived. I liked it better before. But still, intriguing -- lots of layers.

Edited by tinyvulture

My husband summed it up perfectly when I let him sniff Wings of Azrael on my wrist. He said it was sweet sadness.

I'm not good at picking up individual notes like many of the experts here, but I know what I like and I like this very much. It's the smell of purple and white flowers, with just a hint of myrrh in the background. This is beautiful and feminine. Definitely a keeper for me.

In the vial: Dry, slightly sweet, green.

On my wrist, wet: Quite piney, slightly sweet.

After 20 minutes: What a surprise! The pine has been supplanted by a slightly spicy violet and a delicate incense.

After an hour: I didn't think I was going to like Wings of Azrael, as it started out a bit too piney for my tastes, but I love the violet incense of the drydown. A wonderful, morphing scent.

A frimp from the lab! Wheeeheee! I have been wanting to try this one!

Wow, this is great stuff! :P Except for the rudely violent violet! :D

I am beginning to realize that violet (in other than very small amounts) amps on my skin to a level of genuine viciousness. (Envision a horde of tiny flowers with Christopher Walken eyes, bloody fangs, and chainsaws...) I now suspect that Hell smells heavily of violets.

The other notes here are quite wonderful together, and the throw is lovely, but every time my nose gets anywhere near my wrist, I am walloped with the stomach-churning stench of homicidal violet.

:D So frustrating.

I strongly recommend Wings of Azrael to anyone on whom violet is a good thing.

Mmmmmmm.......

This is one of my favorites to wear when I need something strengthening. On my skin, the myrrh at first is slightly unpleasantly harsh, but after about 10 minutes it softens to a wondefully enveloping incense. The other notes are all in there somewhere, but nothing jumps out strongly enough to tell what it is unless I really concentrate.

This is immediately bittersweet florals on me, sharp and almost herbal. The myrrh blooms after a moment, though, mellowing the bitterness. There's a wood note, as well, but it's smothered by the incense.

In the end, this dries to a heavy incense, overlaid by florals. There's a greenness I suspect is the juniper, but it's mostly overwhelmed by the other notes.

sniffing from the imp - fresh clean floral with a hint of green.

on the skin - I can start to smell the violet and lily of the valley (two of my favorite florals...but I'm such a flower-ho, at some point they have all been my faves!) but the greeny part starts to suffocate the delicate floral notes - I'm assuming this is the cypress - I don't smell juniper much in this...and favoring a gin martini, I do know my juniper.

after it's settled a bit - this is when the myrrh starts to elbow it's way into the mix. For me, myrrh is best when mixed with other resins - but with the floral/green it settles a bit too powdery to really win me over.

I do like this fragrance - it's very lovely not at all what I'd expect the Angel of Death to smell like! :P But I'll probably be content with my imp and not seek a bottle on this one.

My rating is a 3 (out of 5)

- Sally

edited silly spelling error

Edited by moonarcana

Oh my, myrrh. I think I am gonna have to test every scent that has myrrh... and something sharper, in a flowery way, and something woody and dark green, as I like it. Yes, the background is a bit bittersweet, but it is excellent with the myrrh. I love this, as I knew I would, given the notes... hmh! It is just soooo lovely.

I am just readig about cajeput, which I didn't know. It is of the family of the melaleucas, and said to have a medicinal/camphor aroma. This must be what makes the scent more bitter, but it is a top note that should fade quickly. It is nicely blended though, and doesn't come out too much. And yes after some time it fades.

I like this scent so much through all it's stages. It is possibly gonna be my staple! I definitely need a bottle :P

straight sniff from imp is incensey violet swirled with myrrh...pretty!!

upon application the violet amps up beautifully and the myrrh peeks its head

out after some time...this has incredible throw...the incense note(s) get much

more intense after 30 minutes or so...possibly a big bottle purchase in the

upcoming months :P

In the bottle: sharp. Sharp, herbal, and woodsy. The cypress really shines. To me, there's almost a tinge of ozone? Maybe? Sometimes when I smell this in the bottle, I can catch the tiniest hint of Tempest.

Wet on the skin: Very little difference from the bottle, although the florals come out. The piney smell takes a step back, but is still there, lingering.

Drying: Such a change! First of all, let me tell you that I love myrrh, so when the myrrh on this comes out, it makes me quite happy! As it dries, all of the edge vanishes. The cypress? Gone. What's left is this very soft, very comforting lily/myrrh scent. It smells safe, like you're being held by someone.

Jeeze, Beth. How do you do it?

After it dries, it still retains the soft, safe smell. And it lasts for quite a while on me, which is nice! There's nothing better than a lingering myrrh. : D I wore some in my hair one day, and took a nap. Two days later my pillow still smelled like Wings.

I don't know what it is about this scent, but I adore it. Bought a big bottle, of course. ; )

10/10 Woo!

In the imp: myrrh and juniper and cypress, sort of stingingly bitter green.

On me, wet: mm, that sharpness has gone, and the myrrh and florals make this a warm, floral-incense scent. There's something sort of medicinal about this, though.

On me, dry: hm, the violets have come forward, and are sitting being all powdered-sugar-ish atop that warm dark and faintly medicinal smell. This is really disconcerting to my nose. And after a while, ugh, it just smells like soured violets over baby powder on me.

Verdict: My nose didn't really like this in any phase - and I kept thinking 'a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go bad'. Alas - I think this is the first Funereal Oil I've tried and not liked.

My disclaimer is: Too many florals equals trouble for me. Common predators include iris and violet. In this case, there's no iris so it is just the violet I have to look out for.

This is quite nice for a few seconds after applying before the violet takes over, heavy and thickened with a smaller component of myrrh. Glimpses of the lovely juniper and cypress are limited, because there is alot of violet (the myrrh has lessened its hold by now, and has mostly given way to the violet). Its overwhelmed everything in no more than 3 or 5 minutes of wear. Glimpses of the lovely juniper and cypress are limited, because there is alot of violet (the myrrh has lessened its hold by now, and has mostly given way to the violet)...This is especially frustrating because I am particularly fond of the aforementioned cypress and juniper combo.

Throw: 5/10 (rating). This goes on fairly heavy but doesn't stay that way. Broadcasting power fades very rapidly.

Overall: 5/10 (rating). The end result of Wings of Azrael is not unpleasant (althrough sort of bland), but is frustratingly one-dimensional on my skin chemistry. Disappointing, but I'm thankful that atleast the violet wasn't horrifically mutated (as my skin chemistry is fond of doing to a wide variety of florals), just amped with myrrh and then faded to a mere wisp of its former self very, very quickly. Unfortunate, but not heartbreaking (I came to WofA with tailored expectations, after all). :P

Court

I almost didn't try this because it sounded too floral, but at the last minute while cataloguing our swaps I decided to. It's actually not too heavily floral at all, at least at first, but it's also not terribly interesting, at least on me. It's sort of dry and herbal, a little incensey, with a touch of cold floral (probably violet), but the different scents don't really come together for me. They're just kind of... there.

And actually, now that it's been on for a while, my skin is starting to amp the violet in an unpleasant way, so it is starting to smell more floral, but with a weird, dry, almost rancid undertone. That helps tone down the sweetness a bit, but overall, not for me. It's got a fair bit of complexity, but the different notes never really mesh, and violet is nearly always a deal-breaker for me.

Grade: C-

Wings of Azrael is full of dark myrrh, and on my skin, not much else. It’s not unpleasant as myrrh usually is on me, but it’s definitely not something I’d wear again. Moderate throw, good staying power.

bottle:

floral, evergreen, violet

wet:

same

dry:

ugh I'm not a fan of violet.

overall:

the violet ruins it for me

rating: 3/10