BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Wanton

Feminine sexuality in its rawest form. Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

Initial impression: very rosy and perfumy

Drydown thoughts: I like it, the incensy patchouli and sandalwood come out and the rose calms down. I don't know what palmarosa smells like so I cant say if I can smell it or not, but this is a very nice really well blended and balanced drydown. I will definately continue to wear this one. Also, I layered this one with Haunted the other day and it was also quite lovely.

Wet: Oh. Lovely! Rosy, femmy, but strong. "Don't get in my way - I'm a girl and I can kick you despite the lace."

Drying: Sophisticated rose. It seems to be staying fairly close to the skin. Sort of an incensey rose. A keeper.

In the vial this smells very "busy", almost hectic! That's OK, with a name like this I did not expect an innocent, fresh and understated scent! :P I don't really know how to describe it. We'll see how it goes when I wear it

On: Wow, this is much nicer than I expected. Rose and incense. Very bold yet refined

Drydown: The patchouli and sandalwood are more prominent now, but they never become overpowering. This is good news, since I have always been a little scared of patchouli. Now I know that it doesn't have to be overwhelmingly strong and earthy and that I can actually wear it! :D

Well, this really was a nice surprise! I didn't expect to like Wanton at all but in the end it is very nice and I have a feeling that I will grow to like it even more once I get used to smelling patchouli on me.

It is not an oil that gets many reviews or comments on the forum, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes feminine (womanly, not girly) rose scents.

First sniff: Innocence lost, a rose crushed underfoot and a higher, sweeter note poised over it like the sob of a violin – yearning and sad. Wanton is very much not what I was expecting.

Wearing: The scent has grown up a lot… it’s past its initial heartbreak and has settled into a sadder-but-wiser woman who’s just about ready to take risks again. Very soft, still slightly sad roses with a murky undercurrent. Once it’s dried this rose smolders… rose petals crushed in a woman’s hand until they absorb the heat of her skin. Yet another rose scent that’s managed to win me over.

First Sniff

Yikes, dirt. Just a breath of rose.

Drydown

Yay! It's much rosier now.

After a While

I'm surprised about how sophisticated this seems given it's name. There's a touch of something behind the rose (probably the sandalwood) and the early shock of the patchouli has vanished as quickly as it came.

Final Verdict

A sweet, classy, womanly rose. The longevity is average and although it's perhaps not as 'stand out' as Rapture or Othello it's something I'd certainly buy again.

Reading the description: Ow, this has patchouli and rose? This can't be good..

At first: No patchouli discernible for me, thankfully. It's a rose, but raw.

The rose turns loud and sharp on me, sadly. as a room spray it stays more to it's original, raw self. I'm ususally not of the poetic descriptions, but this really reminds me of a book title: "A rose of flesh". To me, this describes it perfectly, even if it isn't my scent.

This scent is very incensy and reminded me very much of the Catholic masses of my childhood when the priest would break out the incense. It's got a lot of staying power (which I love).

A keeper!

Wanton.

On first whiff, I get the patchouli very strongly (this is good because my skin loves patchouli). The rose is there too. and this is a very sweet rose. Rose and patchouli is a very daring combination, because both notes are so damn extroverted. I feel as though there is a little battle going on on my skin...both the patchouli and the rose are saying, "Me! Me! Notice Me!".

After a few minutes, these two brats start to get along and play nice, and I start to notice the sandalwood and the palmarosa. These two notes are very soothing and stabilizing in this blend.

Wanton is a very feminine scent, and one that appeals to me as a Gemini. I always appreciate scents that switch back and forth, first this, then that.

In the Bottle: Heavy rose and patchouli, which is great, considering that while I'm smelling that I can't smell the ass scent of Pulse Points. This is good.

On Me: Wanton is much more sandalwood than in the bottle, with the spicy rose scent coming up as well. This isn't as feminine a rose scent as Moon Rose or Ophelia, no this is much more raw, much more assertive. This is women's lib rose, someone screaming that just because you wear rose oil doesn't mean that I'm not going to curb stomp you. Wanton doesn't have that etheral quality to it either, like most BPAL rose scents.

This is a great scent, much better than the ass smell that I had on earlier. What a different rose scent. I'm impressed.

It took me about fifteen minutes to stop giggling at Dark Mother's review before I could write my own.

Incensey and strong in the bottle, the rose didn't appear in this until I put it on. I also have to say this is one assertive rose. Less floral, the patchouli and sandalwood keep a very incense and herb base under a dry, rose scent. It's not wet flowers, but preserved or dried ones and with the patchouli it keeps this from being a light sweet floral.

Definitly an "I can still curb stomp you" kinda floral.

I don't know what it is about my skin chemistry, but it amplifies all oils with rose in them to the point that all I can smell is rose. And it's not a good rose--it's an old lady rose.

Sadly, this happened with Wanton also. In the vial it is very sweet and feminine, but as soon as it hits my skin it turns to a generic "rose."

In the bottle: I'm not the biggest patchouli fan, but I can stand it in some things. Like I think that it's perfectly lovely in Wilde. It's a little stronger in this, and I think the palmarose must be that kinda of sticky floral that I'm smelling because it doesn't remind me of any of the other rose blends I have. I'm also not detecting the sandalwood yet, which is another scent I have to be careful around.

Wet: Patchouli! Quickly, something else come out to temper this please. I don't know. It reminds me of more hippie incense, which is nice in and of itself except for the fact that it often gives me killer headaches. There's still that odd floral scent under the stronger patchouli and even the merest breathe of the sandalwood.

Dry down: A little sweeter but I'm still reminded of little shops filled with incense and fertility statues. There's a slight hint of my lovely rose. But...I think I'm allergic to this, too, which saddens me as it was a freebie from a very lovely forumite. Hi, sandalwood, how have you been? I'm glad you're here, now can you please relax just a little? In order to get to the dry stage I'm going to go bloat the sheen off my wrist.

Dry: Okay, that's better. Now the patchouli and the sandalwood are playing very nicely together. This is a very womanly, sex scent, which means that I can't really give it to the boy without feeling terribly weird about the whole situation. He doesn't mind smelling like florals but it kinda puts me off. And there's just the hint of my roses. I think this might be a lovely room fragrance but on me it's too strong and headache inducing. :P

In the vial, I smell patchouli and rose, with just a touch of sandalwood.

On me, it's all patchouli and sandalwood... and it itches, so I'm going to wash it off before it starts to burn. I wish I could let it sit and see if the patchouli died down a bit, but that's not going to happen.

I was nervous that Wanton would have far too much patchouli, while secretly hoping that it would be very rosey. Interestingly neither of these was the case. For the first 20 minutes or so there was a sickly sweet non-rosey smell (the palmarosa?). It smelled strongly of neither patchouli nor rose, though I did pick up on the sandalwood. This is not an innocent smell at all! This might be a good scent even for those who think they can't do rose scents.

Wanton was a very sharp, heady incense-rose combination. In the drydown it reminds me of Tears.

The whole over-the-top, laugh-til-you-cry feeling would really work on a more romantic woman...

This was on my wishlist because I'm a fan of every note listed in the description. My attitude became neutral when I got a whiff of the imp. But now that I have it on:

Oooh la la!

At first I got the patchouli (I like patchouli so that's good for me). Then it turned into a sweet and green scent. The palmarosa and patchouli are up front, with whisps of rose here and there. Very very nice!

I've been wanting to try this, as the rose/sandalwood/patchouli thing is always a favorite for me and I'd like to try everything with that combo in there somewhere.

Palmarosa is a wonderful thing -- I first discovered it in an Airs incense about 10 years ago and have sought out good versions of it ever since. That's the main note that I get from this, sniffing it in an imp. I don't know why, but I can NEVER smell patchouli in any blend where it does not figure as the main note. Patchouli always gets eaten up, and serves as a sort of deepening, darkening agent in most blends. I wind up loving them, but the patchouli itself never hits me with that waft of "Here There Be Hippies" that I am expecting.

So, as this develops on me the main things that stick out are what I take to be attar of rose, combining nicely with palmarosa to create a slightly powdery rose blend with a woody base. The different scents seem to compartmentalize, so in one breath it's all powdery rose and in the next it's all sticky sweet sandalwood-tinged rose. It stays sweetly rose with a hint of sandal for quite some time, and it stuck around for awhile. I wouldn't mind having more of this, but there are so many rosy scents I don't know if I could really choose which one to concentrate my attention on, since I seem to be happy with Zombi as my (dead, withered) rose of choice!

Wanton was a lovely gift from the lab, thanks guys :P ! I was very excited to try this blend as I have become a fan of the lab's patchouli (always thought I hated it before BPAL). I was a little disappointed not to get any patchouli from this blend, but it's lovely all the same. I can't say I get much rose either, just a very bright, sexy floral that kind of throbs. Perhaps it's the palmarosa, I'm not familiar with that note, but whatever, I really like this :D ! It's quite strong at first, but softens within half an hour to a light throw and stays at that level for about 4 hours until I can't detect it any more.

In the Bottle Sweet musk and patchouli

Wet Thank god the patchouli disappeared instantly...... this is musky and incensey on me. The rose is very sexy. Woah. lol.

Drydown The sandalwood is really lovely. It unfurls on my skin and becomes smokey...... compliments the rose quite well. As usual the palmarosa is nowhere to be found. This smells like quite a few other BPALs I have tried....... I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Two Hours Later It stays so close to my skin I almost forgot I was wearing anything. It's not faint, just doesn't drift or waft at all. Very sexy in a very understated way.

Verdict I like it, but it comes off almost generic. And doesn't waft off like I like my perfumes to do.

I must be having a dodgy nose day because I can hardly smell this at all. I get a sweet rose and a bit of sandalwood. This is a nice, quiet floral, but it doesn't stand out among the other fabulous BPAL floral blends.

The lucky of you who get patchouli :P I don't, I get lots of roses, Wanton is a lot like Spellbound to me, which is not bad, I like it ,but not enough to reach my 5ml wishlist

I love the scent of a fresh rose, but I often find that rose in a perfume smells more musty and old grandma-ish to me. I have been holding out on Wanton because of this.

Right out of the bottle, Wanton is very sweet and juicy. As it dries, I swear it smells exactly like rose water (that's a good thing) with a background of sweet sandalwood. I've not been able to find a perfume that has the same sweet qualities as plain old rose water, but this one does it...with a bonus of musky, sweet sandalwood.

I have to say, this is one of my favorite rose blends from BPAL (right behind Rose Red) simply because of the life in it. Wanton is bright and cheery, very springtime.

Wanton

Origin: I got this in a swap with Rheliwen because I love Harlot and wanted to try layering it with Wanton so I could call myself a Wanton Harlot.

Preconceived notions: I hope it smells good with Harlot. I was a little worried about patchouli and rose together, though, as I tried that once and it was bad. Luckily, Beth is not me.

In the vial: I can definitely smell a deep herbal note that I recognize now as red patchouli. It’s not like the “patchouli” that one normally smells - much greener than that. I’m not, at this point getting any of the other notes.

8:03

On me: Ooh, now the rose is coming out - it’s a green rose. And yes, I’m getting the earthiness of the woods as well. The rose is mostly in the background, which is a surprise for me. Often it takes over, though not *always*, like it does on some people. Oh, now I see - the rose is wafting, while the earthier notes are staying close to the skin. Very interesting. It’s like wearing Cathedral in a room full of roses. And someone mentioned a “rose of skin” - yes, I’m getting a kind of warm skin scent, too, in the wrist part of the smell.

In 5 minutes: Now, there’s something like the tart almost-citrus part of cedar running around - must be the palmarosa. It’s definitely a wood, but it’s vaguely citrus-like. That’s the main note on my skin now - wafting is still all rose.

In 2 minutes after that: Okay, now the woody-citrus note is the wafting note AND the wrist note. Wow, is this one a morpher or what!

In 15 minutes: Okay, now it smells exactly like rosewood. Only better :P.

In 30 minutes: Now it’s back to rose and the citrus-wood note. And something green and herbal.

In 1 hour: It smells like a lovely incensy rose. And the rose is the same rose as the one in Harlot. Somehow, it wouldn’t surprise me if Beth predicted a Wanton Harlot...

Overall: This is definitely a keeper, and possibly a candidate for a big bottle. I love the way it morphs, since most of Beth’s oils don’t on me for some reason, and all of the different stages are wonderful and unique. Plus it’ll work wonderfully with Harlot *winks* (I’ll post in the layering thread once I’ve tried it!)

Rose with a sexual side! Not a child's rose, not a chaste rose, but a deep husky HOT rose! I love Harlot for this very kind of scent, and now I love Wanton as well!! I have an attar of rose lotion from isabella that smells quite similar to this and I just love them both. Where harlot has cinamon, this has a warm patchouli and the sweetish palmarosa.

Big bottle on order!

Now Beth... How about THIS rose, with black patchouli and cinamon? I'd die and swoon all over!

I'm with Witch's dagger, must try this with harlot :P

Nice blend of sandalwood and patchouli, with a rose touch that grows as it dries down.

It's rose with something more, something that makes it spicy, interesting and very up-close to the skin. :D :P