BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Deep in Earth

Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.

In The Bottle
Dirt. I love it. Can smell the rose geranium vaguely. I really dislike rose scents.

On Application
Rose geranium, first up. Darn. The dirt is still there but definitely less pronounced than in the bottle. I think it really does stay true to the concept though.

Dry Down
The moss starts to rein in the rose fairly quickly, thankfully. The rose comes in and out. I will have to try this a few times as i love the dirt however I don't really rate this against Jazz Funeral

Rating (0-5)

At first this is ROSE GERANIUM! Oh yeah, and a graveyard. But then the rose geranium calms down, and it's still very floral, but more balanced with the soil and the moss. It's a living version of Zombi, if that makes sense.

Wet, dirt...garden loam, turned and ready for planting.

Then the rose appears and eventually covers the dirt.

Apparently, not only do I amp rose, I amp rose geranium as well.

Somewhere about 3 hours in it starts to balance out. Unfortunately, three hours is too long for me to wait.

On me, this was a little soap. It was a strong rose soap, womanly, like stepping fresh out of the shower. Kinda dewy, it had a hint of dirt to it, but overall very fresh.

imp: mmmmm, dirt! this is less rosy than zombi, more of a tilled earth with leafy-ness. i already sense a bottle in my future.

wet: this is fresh rose with dirt where zombi is dried rose with dirt. still... i think i'm gonna buy a bottle (shocking considering my record with rose scents).

dry: there is just ther barest hint of rose soap under all this dirt. which is fine for once. off to buy a bottle.

I think the name pretty much sums this one up.

It did what it was supposed to do.

I wanted to try it. Now that my curiosity is satisfied, I realize smelling like the walking dead is really an acquired taste. And that I'm beginning to lean more and more towards smelling like chocolate and cake and vanilla and flowers ... but it is really cool. I'm kind of torn about parting with it, but I know I probably won't wear it often so I'll let it go to someone who will give it more love.

I :P this blend! It's so earthy and wet and clean. I can trace a sharp citrus note that reminds me of a lavender + mint lotion I use. It smells like exploring the depths of a huge forest right after a spring rain. It's dark, but not heavy; clean but not too soapy. Going on the 5ml list!

This is the first Bpal blend that is making me feel ill. It smells like moldy dirt with a touch of vile rose. Not for me.

Funerary floral. Wow, that's heavy and nice. Ooooohhhh nooooo, it's turning soapy! Now the soap is fading but it leaves behind a saltiness. Finally it's a brighter floral.

I am amazed at how wonderful this smells. This is freshly turned dirt, earthy and fresh mixed with the mustiness of the moss. There is a calmness from the fresh green rose geranium and a hint of yew. The rose geranium is very refreshing albeit a strong aroma. A little goes a very long way. A thick oil that takes a long time to drydown.

:P

Hmm...well, the dirt note when this is wet it just wonderful--that fresh BPAL dirt! Nothing like it. But after this dries it smells kind of men's cologne-y, mostly from the moss. Not for me, although I love the top note.

In bottle: yummy. The rose geranium is fairly light compared to the other notes. It does smell like damp dark earth with a mossy yew growing over it. Wet: Garden. The floral note is a bit stronger, but doesn’t overwhelm. Dry: Rich dirt and a bit of moss. The flowers fade entirely into the loam.

Wow, this one is not at all what I was expecting! It was sweeter somehow, and far less loamy/dirt-smelling than I thought it would be. I definitely picked up some sort of florals right away, but it also reminded me a bit of some sort of household cleaner. Which isn't to say that that's bad(!), just that there was a cleaning citrusy note in there.

Once on, it turns into a very dusty, dry citrus & floral, and after about twenty minutes it slowly starts to sour on me. Too bad, as it was nice, but alas. Off to swaps with this one. :P

Thanks to the Lab for this frimp!

Deep in Earth smelled kind of nice/different at first imp-sniff, but it's not for me: it smells like sour flowers and sour green things and sour dirt on my skin. I am definitely not into the sour or the dirt smells! Somehow it reminds me of household cleaners that have had lots of fragrance added to mask the fact that they are still harsh, pet, person & environment-hurty chemicals. Ouch.

It's just not me at all.

Woah nelly this one is strong! Funeral flowers with a dark, sweet and slightly eucalyptus tinged. I get not even a hint of rose. Smelling my q-tip this morning it is a sharp aquatic(!) Towards the end of its arm life it leaned towards laundry detergent, but the fresh pungency was very attractive!

Another dirt scent, woohoo! As a geologically-inclined person, the mere concept of dirt scents makes me happy, and the Lab's dirt is very realistic. I like how it combines with other notes in various other blends, and I like moss and the way real yew trees smell (though I haven't tried it in an oil), so I'm curious to see how this blend works on me.

In the imp: A sort of sharp, dirty floral. The flowers would probably be white if they didn't have dirt on them.

Wet on skin: Less flowers, more dirt, which is what I was hoping. That geranium is still under there, sweetening things, but the soft fresh dirt is coming out on top.

Drydown: As soon as it dries, the flowers come back with a vengeance. There's wonderful soft fresh dark dirt under them, but you definitely have to jam your face through the field of geraniums to sniff the earth. At an hour in, the flowers have amped even more, to the point of making me sneeze a little. Where is my dirt?! By two hours, dirt is showing back up a little, but it's still mostly flowery.

Five hours later: Faint flowery dirt.

End of the day: Faint flowers, sans dirt.

Overall: Oh flowers, why must you spoil my lovely lovely dirt?! I think the smell of Graveyard Dirt in and of itself is amazing, and I love the dirt/rock notes in Badger and Kumari Kandam...well, any of that was all covered up here. I wouldn't have objected to dirt with a faint bit of flowers, but this one is the opposite, and the flower smell early on was enough to make me sneezy. I also never got a whiff of the yew or moss, at least not as something heterogeneous enough to ID on its own. I think I'll be passing this one along to someone else.

Edited by Seismogenic

on me, mostly moss, a little bit of dirt and a whiff of rose geranium. :P

nice one, smells fresh, will be keeping the imp for the summer.

In imp: a deep, earthy smell with geranium on top and a whisper of a lighter flower. On another sniff, it is a little soapy.

On wet: Yeah, soapy. Floral soapy. Nice, but it doesn't have the earth note that I liked in the imp. It reminds me vaguely of some shampoo or other, but I can't remember which. As it dries, the earthy smell starts to come out. It isn't the dry, dusty scent of Graveyard Dirt (or as it smelled to me in the one-note) but it is the scent of rich, black earth, slightly damp, with rotting vegetation and moss and that lovely warmth of sun-warmed wet earth. There's still a whisper of florals, but it is only on one wrist (the left) weirdly! This is a problem I have with relative frequency: sometimes scents polarise so much they smell completely different! I do like this, though. When I originally tried this, it smelled like some unidentified lynx deodorant on me, and there is still a touch of that overtone, but it isn't nearly as pronounced as I thought. I found Graveyard Earth (which admittedly I only smelled on someone else) a little too earthy for me, which was presumably the point, so I like that Deep in Earth is a more mediated version. It has that lovely clean, rough, slightly-tickling-your-nose smell of damp earth. Fantastic! How do the Lab manage to encapsulate wet earth in a bottle? :wub2:

Later: It doesn't seem to have much throw, but then that might be a good thing as I'm not sure I want everyone to be sniffing and going "Uh...wet earth?" but it lasts a decent amount of time, though it fades quite a lot.

In the imp, greenish herbal, with a waft of rose geranium.

Wet, the yew, with a hint of an earth note. Utterly unisex at this point.

Dry, this is interesting. The moss and yew are obvious, with a softly sweet undertone. This is gorgeous...I might be needing more of this.

In the imp: Rose Geranium and dirt

Wet: Woodsy and damp, damp dirt

Dry: A big heaping pile of wet dirt, something musty and a hint of rose geranium lingering about almost like an afterthought

I'd say this is like a more sophisticated version of Zombi.

in the imp:yup- that's graveyard dirt and green moss, alright! ;)

wet on skin: there's an undercurrent of the same note that always shows up as Mr Clean on my skin. :( i don't know what it is, but it was in Pruno, too, and a few others. i hope this goes away...

dry down: nope. it's staying. sigh. :cry2:

in all: like sitting in a graveyard, under a mossy tree, and someone comes along and dumps industrial floor cleaner on the whole placid scene.

me? i'll stick to straight up Graveyard Dirt, thanks.

I actually don't get much dirt from this, sadly, but I still like it. It's actually rather sweet and fresh smelling. After drying down a bit, some of the greenery comes out. It's clean smelling, but not soapy. I actually don't really get any rose from this, which is strange. hmm.

I'll definitely be keeping my imp and I'll try layering it with some Graveyard Dirt. I think it would be great this summer. :)

Imp: Holy greenery...very fresh almost sweet. Not at all what I expected. The rose geranium is string too.

Wet: Almost a sweet evergreen smell. Hardly any dirt.

Dry: This is very soothing and hauntingly pretty but I think I will pass it on since it doesn't seem like me. It does fascinate me though. Oooh wait...there is the dirt...strange.

When I first applied this one I got dirt dirt dirt dirt URINE dirt URINE :ugh: Where did that come from?

Thank goodness the urine disappears when it dries down. Now it is mossy earth. Smells like my great-aunt & great-uncle's farm when we used to visit. A damp, rich soil with decaying vegetation.

Dag nabbit! This one makes me sneeze.

Edited by topaz