BPAL Madness!
CapricornSister

The Knave of Hearts

THE KNAVE OF HEARTS

'Herald, read the accusation!' said the King.

On this the White Rabbit blew three blasts on the trumpet, and then unrolled the parchment scroll, and read as follows:--

'The Queen of Hearts, she made some tarts,

All on a summer day:

The Knave of Hearts, he stole those tarts,

And took them quite away!'

Crushed roses and blackcurrant tarts.

Wow, my first time being the first to review a blend!! I hope I do it some justice :D

I love roses, so I have to try all of Beth's rose blends no matter what the other notes are. When I first opened the bottle, all I could think was "Eat Me". Not literally of course :P It reminds me very much of Eat Me, but with a floral underneath. It is quite strong in the bottle. Once I put it on it calmed down pretty quickly. It has average throw and seems to be lasting quite awhile on me. Once dry, the blackcurrant tart note remains on top but the rose comes out to play a bit more. All those afraid of roses shouldn't worry, it doesn't scream rose. The rose just adds a bit of green to make it less foody. Overall I think I like this quite a bit. I will definitely hang onto it :D

This is definately a very overall foody blend, so as the CapricornSister said above all of those fearing roses shouldn't worry. It's very cakey wet and has a strong butterish note. The current and roses come up a bit later on dry down tempering the buttery sweetness but doesn't quite cut it too much. It's just an overally buttery cakey rosey blend. Not much for me, but I can understand some that may enjoy it.

I went into this one with an open mind, not knowing what to expect. In the bottle and on my skin? Not a rose in sight! Sweet toffee caramel with just a hint of blackcurrant fruitiness. I have been known to amp caramel exponentially, and to the total exclusion of all other ingredients, so don't write it off if you want roses, and definitely give it a try if you are a foody fan. Knave of Hearts may be one of those blends that gives everyone a unique experience.

The Knave of Hearts – This scent smells incredibly foody when I sniff it in the vial and when I first apply it. The rose becomes evident a few moments after applying it, but it’s quickly overwhelmed by the black currant in the blend. There’s a strong cake/bakery scent surrounding the black currant and rose, and I think I would like it if the black currant weren’t turning the whole scent into something bitter and unpleasant. I’m not usually a fan of black currant, and this is no exception. The throw is strong and the wear length is moderate.

This smells purely like cake and roses on me. So much so that I'd forgotten there was black currant in there. It has amazing throw and it changes constantly until I'm left with what smells like Sugar Skull with roses. A pretty rose with a sweet and syrupy quality. I'll hold onto the imp because I think a bottle would last me forever since a little goes such a long way.

in the bottle: this reminds me of eat me, a yummy, sweet dessert

wet: still very much dessert, but the currant is starting to arrive.

as this starts to dry the roses come in to play. but it still retains its desserty yumminess. this is a sweet currant dessert w/ rose icing. what a gorgeous blend of floral and foody. i adore this!

Origin: Imp straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I will almost always try a rose scent once, even though some can turn into an icky green-stem note on my skin.

In the Bottle: Very foody; I'm getting an overwhelming impression of pastry and bakery.

Wet: A darkly fruity, sweet rose, with baking spices in the background.

Drydown: The bakery takes over, with lots of sugar and spice going on and very little rose.

Verdict: It might be worth keeping the imp. I can't tell if my nose is stopping up because of the scent or because I was outside hanging up the clothes to dry.

Edited by puck_nc

Roses? What roses? This is ALL blackcurrant tart on me... at first.

As it dries I can start to smell a bit of rose, but it doesn't even come close to being as strong as the foody tart smell. It blends very well with the blackcurrant. I would never have guessed that combination would work this well.

The rose keeps this from being a foody scent, and the "tart" part of it keeps it from being a rose scent. It's a fabulous combination.

All in all: I really like this one a lot. It's a nose-glued-to-wrist scent.

THE KNAVE OF HEARTS

In Bottle: Black currant tart for sure

On Skin: I’m hungry now. It smells like the perfect little pastry. I can smell the flaky crust, smell the warm and bubbly black currants peeking out and then underneathe it all… a bit of rose. Very interesting. So foody and then a little floral thrown in. The tarts are so sweet they tone down the sharpness of the rose and work quite well together. And whats this? No cat pee? Black currant not turning into cat pee on me??? Stop the presses!!! I am so happy! But it’s not a scent I’d wear because it does make me far too hungry. I’d love to use this as a room scent, it’s very comforting and warm. Plus it would make people believe I could actually cook pastries. Light to medium throw and average wearlength.

It's like Eat Me...but not. I got a slight hint of rose and not much currant. Mostly dry cake. Not very potent either. I'll stick to Eat Me.

In the bottle and on my skin its a perfect buttery pastry, I was hoping for just black currant and roses instead of the tart. Once its been on my skin for a few minutes I can easily separate the black currant from the tart. I wasn't expecting this to be foodie, I usually use foodie scents as a comfort type thing so I put some on before bed. When I woke up I could still smell it and by that point it was just black currant and roses.

But there's no way I'm going to wait overnight until I can wear this. :P

Edited by spring heel

Cookie Crisp Cereal with raisins. Suddenly I am nine years old and watching Monkees reruns while eating cereal.

Definitely evocative, but not really something I was hoping for. :P

Oh I already love this! This is a very foody one; and when first applied it reminds me a bit of Gluttony and Hellcat. It has that same, buttery, rich, vanilla undertone that I just adore. There is a tiny hint of cinnamon spice as well. What makes this foody blend unique is the vague undertone of roses, which is more of a green floral than overly pink or red. I don't smell much of the berries from the tarts, but that's ok. I think this reminds me a bit of a sugared rose scent, but with much more butter than sugar.

Overall: I love it!! I think I will be purchasing a 5 ml :P

My skin really amps up the rose in this one. It's that wet, juicy, almost pickled smelling rose that reminds me of Rose Red (not a rose blend I was fond of). I don't smell any of the currant, but there's a very buttery note paired with the rose at first. In the drydown, something in this actually starts to smell like caramel and coffee on me. The caramel-coffee mixed with the juicy rose just isn't working for me.

Staying power is about an hour and a half on my skin. This doesn't remind me of Eat Me much... the rose is dominant and paired with that buttery caramel-esque note. I don't much care for this, it's a bit too strange for me.

In the bottle : Oh my, that's weird. I was expecting something 100% floral (I focussed on the rose part in the description) and what do I get? Something foody. It smells like cake, maybe sponge cake.

On my skin: haha burnt plastic of course. But the rose is showing. So, it gives me rose-scented burnt plastic. At least, it's not common.

After a couple of hours: it burns more and more and more, so I finally had to wash it off.

Verdict: foody, so, not for me.

This is foody deliciousness, morphing into soapy rose. :P I should just stop trying anything with roses in it. Swap.

:P :D :D

Love. I am in love with this.

I was really afraid that the rose was going to do something very bad on my skin, but it stays surprisingly normal and rose smelling (not acetone nail polish remover smelling like it normally does on me). That being said, Knave of Hearts smells just like a juicy berry tart (the kind that I always order at the pastry shop across the street, hehe) with a hint of floral. Just enough to add to the juiciness of the berry and keep the scent from being a buttery gourmand. This is indeed a bit similar to Eat Me (a major love of mine) although it is a bit less heavy than that (due to the floral element, I think). Smelling this I can honestly picture the tarts from the movie Alice (the lovely Czech film, my favorite Alice film incarnation); this is such a dead on interpretation of the concept, and I could not be happier.

So yeah, I love this one, a lot. Oh how I wish there were still 10mls available...

In the imp, this is very rich and foody, with something sort of bitter in the background - maybe the currents?

On my skin, the Knave is true to his nature, displaying a buttery, rich cake scent, thick with bitter fruit and something that smells almost dusty. When my husband smelled this on me, he said I smelled like a cigar, and that's about right - with my chemistry, this smells like one of those sweet cigarillos that they make to try to get the kiddies hooked.

Okay, review of Knave of Hearts

Wet: Smooth, lightly scented, faintly creamy rose. With a bit of blackcurrant and hint of bakery crust hiding in the closet. Veddy interesting. Makes me think of an old-fashioned, Victorian posset of rose petals steeped in blackcurrant water. It's the kind of fragrance a lovely, demure Victorian lady might wear. :D

Drydown: More balanced rose and blackcurrant, which has come out of the closet. Even better than the wet stage. Very much a must for both rose and foody lovers. Divine. :P

Edited by Shollin

When sniffing from the bottle, it definitely smells familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Lots of warm, buttery baked goods are involved.

Wet on my skin: Still the warm, butter baked goods, but mixed with.... potpouri?? :P

Then it hits me, this smells like a really strong candle, or when you're walking through the candle/potpouri aise in a store. Hmmm.

Drydown: This last hours for me, even after an hour of running I could still smell it somewhat. I never got much rose, which is fine with me because I was very leary of the rose. But that could be the rose that is reminding me a bit of potpouri. It just smells too much like a generic foody/dried spice candle to me. Does anyone else get pumpking out of this? Because it reminds me a tad of Jack, but I adore Jack.

Verdict: I am very much a foody-scent person, but while this is nice, it's just not for me. I bet it would be great as a room scent though. Especially in the fall/winter.

I'm not overly fond of cake-foody type perfumes (the buttery-cake note tends to give me a headache) but I wanted to try Knave of Hearts for the roses and blackcurrants.

Wet, this is buttery-vanilla cake. Its a little strong, but tolerable, and thankfully doesn't last too long on my skin. Next the blackcurrant comes up, and its yummy!! It smells a lot like blueberry (which is very good as I was hoping for a blueberry scent someday). The butter-cake fades out and currant takes over with a hint of vanilla. Once it dries, I get a little soft rose under the currant.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

OK, I'm a HUGE foody blend person (I do like other blends as well) and this stole my :P. As Shelldoo said this is very much like Eat me but I think it's even better. For some reason I get a pancakes & a syrup smell with this. ;). This just shot to the top three of my top ten list. :D :D :) this!!! I have to get more than the 5ml that I have ... Beth I need a gallon. B)

If you like foody scents make sure and give this one a try. I smell pancakes with blackcurrants and a drizzle of syrup. No roses here for me unless they are of the sugared kind.

I rate this a 5!! (out of 0-5)

WOW. That is some buttery crust. I didn't realize this was going to be so foody. In the imp, yes, it is dead-on blackcurrant tarts. (Well, I'm thinking "blackberry" but a bit sweeter, so I guess it's as close to dead-on as I'll be able to recognize.)

On me, all I can smell at first is the crust. Absolutely no rose, which makes me sad because I love me some BPAL rose notes. But as the minutes tick by, the crust gets lighter and lighter and the blackcurrant becomes richer and more berrylicious and pop! there's a squidge of rose in there. It's not cloying, just a hint. The blackcurrant smells DELICIOUS.

I'm not sure if I'd wear this very often, but it is one of those blends that I love to experience from beginning to end, just because it morphs so much. It may even morph more -- I've only had it on for about half an hour. I'll edit if it does.