BPAL Madness!

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly.

Summer! This is bottled summer evenings, to me. Late summer, when it's not so sweltering, and everything is sort of relaxed and there's a warm wind drawing this scent through the house, and the windows are all wide open...

I spilled this on my hands when I was opening the imp, and I didn't even smell it in the imp. Just plugged it back up and rubbed the spill onto my wrists and neck. It was very strong, and there's something in there that's a little overwhelming, but I think I may need a bottle of this... this is a potential wedding scent, and I didn't even realize it until just now! It's gorgeous, but I don't know that I'd wear it everyday. At least it didn't go soapy on me, as many florals can do. Edited by Shollin

awww.

i wanted it to love me as much as i loved it.

i love the smell of summer at night, just before the fall.

alas, it went soapy. i think its either just night blooming flowers that do it, or white flowers in general. ill have to figure it out.

sigh.

at first: a gorgeous, cool bouquet.

on: pretty, soft flowers. a bit soapy and a bit sweet.

1 hour later: sweeter. very creamy flowers. gorgeous.

2 hours later: still gorgeous. sweet, creamy flowers.

overall: this is lovely, lovely stuff. if i end up reaching for it a lot, i might get a bottle.

I'm not familiar with many of the notes in this one, but something in here is bizarrely smoky, and I LOVE it. It makes the oil for me. Mightnight doesn't smell "sad" to me as some reviewers have noted, but it does smell "sleepy" and languorous, like (forgive the conceit, oh god) a quiet night stroll through an unfamiliar garden.

I ordered an imp of this hoping for a night floral scent, because I love the scents of all the ones I've seen in real life but I don't have much time to mess around outside at night with flowers so they're smells I rarely get to enjoy. ;) The florals in Midnight are unusual and the initial effect is more herbal than I expected and not at all sweet. I guess the night flowers I am used to are very different from the ones in this mix, because this didn't turn out like I hoped at all. It's a slightly bitter, blue-green-purple floral that is nice in it's own right though. After adjusting to the SHOCK, I came to rather like this mix. Applied for day wear, it adds a touch of mystery, too, whooOOOoo. ;D

I really wish I knew what the smoky note was.

Edited by Precis

In the Bottle: Strong florals, too many to count. Also, sweet and creamy.

Wet: Wow, this is beautiful! It's such a perfect mix of florals, not too perfumey, but creamy and lush and blooming with glory. I agree it's a nighttime scent, one that you wear so that a person has to get up close to benefit.

Dry: This is definitely a keeper. It stayed true and perfect to the imp scent the whole time. It's a definitely 5mL.

At first I found it similar to (but better than) Black Opal. I went to the description to see if there was a description of “geological notes” and much to my surprise – this is a floral. It is an extremely well blended warm scent and could be a wear-every-day thing. A happy surprise indeed.

Since writing this review, I've hoarded enough imps to graduate them to a shortie bottle. Midnight is wonderful.

Edited by themerrybaker

This beautiful humid-smelling midnight garden may well be the perfect white floral. When you first put your nose over the bottle, the fresh yet somehow drunken flowers pull you inexorably into their dark pool of scent.

I'm not very familiar with the notes used in it (except for the phlox, which comes through here as one ever so slightly powdery and sweet facet of a very complex and rich whole), but they come out smelling creamy, wet (maybe the gladiolus?), warm, and intoxicating (I know there's no gardenia or honeysuckle in it, but it feels like these two flowers).

Midnight has the odd property of actually throwing more on me as the day goes on. The above reviews note an incensy quality, and speculate that this could be the nicotiana, and it is this part of the scent that follows me around.

Midnight is beautiful. It retains all the immediacy and magic of an oil blend and the sophistication, sillage and complexity of a fancy French perfume. The combination of creaminess and light floral sweetness makes it good for all seasons. This is not an old lady floral or a little girl floral; it's huge, sexy, sensuous, and confident.

This is a floral that knows what it wants, and I'm in love.

Edited by LadyMedb

In the bottle: Night bloomers and creepers clinging to their trellises. There's something a little green that reminds me of vines in here.

Wet: Dark florals - heady and rich and drooping. I can't pick off individual notes in herre, since I'm not as familiar with the selection in this blend. So let me summarize by calling this a moon-kissed garden, complimented by a humid evening and the unknowable things that lurk beneath the foliage.

Drydown: They only come out at night, the days are much to bright, they only come out at night... Awesome. I've had this bottle sitting in my storage chest for some time since I don't usually wear humid floral in cold weather. I'm happy to be able to break it out again. It is deep, and dark and beautiful.

Verdict: Midnight's one of my long-time loves, 5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrve

Edited by Shollin

Last night, at about the appropriate time, I tried this one on. The description's pretty much right -- it's a lovely melange of white night-blooming flowers. But more dramatically, at least for me, it's the smell of insomnia. It's a walking garden somewhere in the South, on a day that was way too hot, but the evening's cooled down. You're alone in the moonlight after everyone else has gone somewhere else. Somehow you didn't want to join them but you're not ready to go to sleep yet.

So of course, then I couldn't sleep. I lay awake in my bed for an hour or two, sniffing the perfumed air and feeling a little melancholy.

This is a devastating scent for me right now, a calm solitude shot through with moody wakefulness, not at all what I need. But it's really perfect in terms of the design of a gothic perfume. It's beautiful, evocative, and brings forth a mood that's really not for everyone.

bottle:

oh now that's a floral good for me! Light, intriguing blend….

wet:

like wildflowers but no grassy notes. I can't discern any of the floral notes listed, but I am reminded of lily of the valley. Really nice blend of light flowers!

dry:

Not much change - very creamy and light. Reminds me of a summer garden late at night.

overall:

nice, perfect floral for when I'm in those moods

rating: 7/10

Edited by HennaFairy

There is something giving this a masculine edge on me. It is colognic and thick, but also floral. I don't really know what I'm smelling, but it definitely reminds me of a gentleman's cologne.

In the imp: A fascinating, sublime floral. I can't pick out any one flower out of this one.

On me: Good heavens! Florals tend to be hit or miss on me, either too strong or too faint, but this one has definately hit the mark! I can't stop sniffing at my wrist, this is just that lovely.

Later on: This just keeps going and going. It hasn't changed a bit, but I don't mind; it's so lovely as is.

I finally got around to retesting my imp of Midnight, and while I do like it, I've realized that it's a little more floral than what I usually enjoy wearing.

When wet Midnight smells sort of spicy floral to me, but it calms down to sweet, gentle floral as it dries. At the same time it fades so much that I can barely perceive it on my skin. Unfortunately, I do get a case of the sneezes when I first put it on, so something is irritating my allergies. Ah well, I will use my imp sparingly and enjoy it while it lasts.

A very soapy blend in the bottle, high and mid-note florals with no base. Wet, the florals are pale and soft, the soap tones gone in an instant. As it dries, however, the soap notes come back to the top, overriding the florals one by one. By the time this is dry, it's a floral-scented laundry detergent and within minutes of that, there's no floral left. A shame really, this sounded so lovely but is so overwhelmingly floral... I'm afraid I need a base note for anything with moonflower in it these days.

in bottle: slightly powdery.

on skin, wet: soapy and antiseptic.

on skin, dry: there is a strong, sweet floral that develops but is overshadowed by powder.

conclusion: It's a new development (for me) that the florals begin to show when it's dry; however, they're entirely too sharp for my chemistry. 2/5

I tried this on before I went to bed, but wasn't able to follow it for very long so I reapplied it again this morning.

WET - This is a very intense floral. There are notes that seem familiar, but I can't really tell what everything is. It's quite strong initially and I'm waiting for it to mellow a bit.

DRYDOWN - It has mellowed and now I can smell some greenery like ferns or leaves along with the flowers and it's getting more interesting.

Three hours later this has really softened up. The greenery is still there with the florals, but now there is a musky odor that is not unpleasant at all. I like the development better than the initial stage which was a bit overwhelming.

Midnight is a very gorgeous scent that I wouldn't mind wearing more often.

Midnight is a beautiful scent. It's fairly "perfumey" in it's quality, and doesn't smell like any one particular flower or note, yet it's floral in it's complexity and beauty. It's a smooth, swirly, and sleepy scent and reminds me of my youth in New Orleans, and quiet warm evenings spent lounging in the swinging chair on the front porch, breathing in the warm Southern nighttime air and listening to my friend's dad practice his slow jazz saxaphone. This is one of my favorite scents to wear in the evenings.

The first time I tried this on I got pure gross sour floral and nothing else. :P

And that, my friends, should teach you about the dangers of getting overexcited and testing an entire imp pack at once. I had BPAL on my wrists, elbows, forearms, and the back of one hand. Unsurprisingly, I hated everything in that order until I started trying them on one-by-one.

The second time around, Midnight blossomed into a creamy, sweet floral, not heady or cloying at all. It smells, like others have said, like a late summer evening, or like a late summer evening would smell if there were any justice in the world at all. ^^

Although it's absolutely beautiful, to me it would only fit properly into a few settings. It's definitely an evening scent, dusky and blue-purple in mood. It's quiet and unhurried. I wouldn't wear it to a big party, and rushing around running errands while I tested it seemed like a total waste of good BPAL. I think it would best be worn to a small gathering with a few friends.

I did just order a bottle, though, and I like it so much that I'll probably wear it well beyond the self-imposed guidlines I just described. It's too pretty to save!

:D

Midnight

A heady white floral, BPAL style. Vaxy and nectar sweet and slightly tropical. Nice enough, but not special enough to be a keeper for someone who isn't into florals much.

(It's funny, the few department store perfumes I fell for ante BPAL were florals - Flower by Kenzo (poppy? more like violet) and Beyond Paradise (jasmine!) but I'm never particularly attracted to them anymore, floral notes tend to make me shy away from a scent, fearing that they will dominate it.)

hm. very, very faint. very interesting scent...

reminds me of the smell of some of the peel-off type facial masks -- a greenish-blue sweet with a bit of a zing. sortof comforting and refreshing all at the same time.

i think i like this even though, from the description, i didn't think i would.

Bottle: florals, but a crazy mixture, and many I don't recognize at all. the phrase that came to mind as I sniffed, interesting enough, is 'the smell of insanity'. it's the sort of manic I experience after having had general anesthesia - until the toxin leaves my system several days later I have strange nightmares, Lovecraftian almost, of bugs in the walls and other frenetic frights.

Wet: less intense hysteria, now merely floral.

Dry: already starting to fade, which might be ok, since the moonflower was starting to amp somewhat and already I noticed I was reacting to it. allergies, bah.

Later: apart from some lasting resonance of moonflower - this is gone, gone, gone.

Midnight is made up of (usually) the only kind of florals I like...fresh, white and light.

Only Midnight makes it clear that it's alll about the dark.

I smell lovely night-blooms and something wet; like there is dew on the ground.

Then something goes manly on me. Too manly and I feel like I should look for aftershave.

If I wait for that to calm down, I get my lovely night-blooms again. I just don't know if I can handle that stage and there are others that are of the same style that I like more.

This is a gorgeous embodiment of Midnight. It's a dark, creeping, airy bouquet of night flowers, that's for sure! It's very soft and lovely while not being completely feminine. There is a beautiful, "night creeping" effect to the whole blend; it's hard to describe but unforgettable once you've sniffed it. This is definitely one I like to wear at night; especially to bed. Lovely!

This scent is lovely. While there is a lot going on in the way of florals, this blend isn't dry, stuffy, or "old". There is a very real freshness to it, and a beautiful sense of peace and just. . . stillness.

Sadly, on my skin, this all but vanishes after forty-five minutes. That is the only reason I wouldn't get more of it.

Overall: 8/10

This is sort of a non-floral floral to me. It has a general floral tone but with something sharper, a little wet and foresty. Very nice overall. BF review- "I like it."