BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Western Diamondback

Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage.

2016 WD: Delicious is right! Snake Oil, Tonka, leather, and sage are prominent; red sandalwood is in the background. So satisfying! Tonka & Snake Oil are an ideal pairing; serpentine sweetness coiled around a leather, sage & sandalwood base.

WD feels warm and sweet, which is just right for a fat ole Diamondback coiled up basking in the sun near some sagebrush. I love WD the animal, and I'm glad I got a decant so I could fall for WD the fragrance. I wish it lasted longer on my skin; after about 4 hours WD is just a sweet hint of SO.

Western Diamondback is a real pleasure.
Edited to add: one year later it is even better! Smoooooooth. Edited by Teamama

Bottle: This is the most Snake Oily of the snake pit blends I've tried so far. The SO is right there, just warmed and made more rustic by a lovely soft leather, tonka, red sandalwood and sage combination.

Wet: First impression: Snake Oil bundled in soft, tan leather. The tonka seems to merge well with the vanilla in the SO, and the red sandalwood and sage add some hot, arid plains. The whole is soft and subtle, though -- this isn't a scent with a punchy sillage by any means.

Dry: No change. Lasts for less than a half day before I feel like I want to re-apply. (That's a lie. I want to re-apply as often as possible.)

Lovely lovely scent.

In the imp: Not as Snake Oil-y as I was expecting. Yeah, the SO is definitely there, but the sweetness is cut by leather and...sandalwood, I think? And maybe sage, but for me sage is more often an accent than a main player, so I'm not awesome at distinguishing it. But there's a brisk sort of freshness here that I hope will carry over to my skin - something that will make thick, sultry SO wearable for summer.

Wet: Oooooh, now that's interesting! Hardly any SO at all - leather and sage and dry sandalwood, with some soft tonka for sweetness. The Snake Oil is only a subtle accent, making what would otherwise be a very dry blend just a little bit juicy and androgynous-leaning, instead of straight-up masculine.

Dry: As expected, it becomes softer and sweeter, but stays largely itself. The leather is still dominant, but the tonka puts in more of an appearance, as does the Snake Oil (although it still plays a secondary-at-best role). The sandalwood is also much softer and less...woody. It blends with the sage wonderfully to provide a soft, herbal, resinous edge that helps to temper the sweetness of the tonka and SO as well as the leather.

This one is quite different than my superaged bootle of WD, even though I dont think there was a reformulation. My old bottle is an even mix of leather, tonka and Snake Oil with a touch of sage. Oddly, this seems more Snake Oil heavy and at first, slightly sweeted more by the tonka. More sagey and slightly soapy than the older bottle, but I still ike it immensely. You really cant go wrong with a Snake in my books. I predict it will become smoother and more rounded. Curious to see if this is going to remain sage heavy or develop onto the more leather/tonka of my aged bottle...

Edited by milo

Wet: Too much leather for my taste. There's a slight hint of the sweetness of snake oil, but I feel like it's being held back by the leather.

Edit: to be fair, after more drydown, the snake oil is coming out to play more. The tonka seems like it might be there to help even out the sweetness of snake oil.

Edited by Carrie

Wet: You can absolutely smell the Snake Oil in this, which I like, I found a few of the snakes pits I couldn't even detect it. This smells like a sweeter snake oil, so far. So maybe the opposite issue, I can't smell the sandalwood or leather at all.

Dry: This is glorious, but Snake Oil is glorious, and right now I am not sure how different the two are on me! I need to do a side by side. I will say this is a softer, more rounded Snake Oil, more like aged than fresh, and I am loving wearing it. I may pick up a bottle, even if they are really close - one can never have too much Snake Oil!

ETA: When I tried this a second time, I could really pick up the differences - the sandalwood and Tonka really made an appearance. I need a bottle of this. It's gorgeous.

Edited by LizziesLuck

Wet on me, Western Diamondback is an even sweeter Snake Oil, which was not what I was expecting from dry components like sage, leather and sandalwood. So, tonka, leather and Snake Oil at first, and it's gorgeous. Like SO on me, it has a little throw (and I rarely get much sillage). If you like these ingredients, you can hardly go wrong here.

The sandalwood and sage help keep the balance, but on my skin they stay well in the background. Gradually the leather and friends fade away and I'm left with Snake Oil, which does not last as ridiculously long on me as pure SO does. I will be retesting this but may be heading for a bottle purchase. So delighted I got to try this!

To my nose, on me - sage from the garden, sweetened by snake oil and tonka, with soft warm white leather. I can't detect sandalwood, but it may be giving the snake oil some extra smoothness.

This is unisex, I think it could be wonderful on anyone, skin chemistry permitting. It reminds me of what Claire (snake oil), Owen (leather, sage, tonka, sandalwood), and Blue (leather) might smell like if they weren't running through a muddy jungle in Jurassic World.

Very comforting and alluring.