BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Amsterdam

Amsterdam - Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

So pretty! Red tulips on a lush green lawn. With a cold, clear stream nearby.

This is one of those scents that makes me sit back and say, "How DOES Beth do it?"

It changes very little from imp to application to drydown, and it's a perfect encapsulation of a fresh damp spring day. I'm not really getting the peony, but the tulips, water and grass are dead-on. It's a very happy, clear scent that's great for situations where you don't want to smell overpowering.

That's its only drawback, as well, though - like most light/fresh scents, it doesn't have a huge amount of staying power on me. I'm wishing I'd brought my imp along to work so I could refresh!

This scent isn't really amazing me. I had to apply quite a bit of it, as it is a very light scent. It smells of light flowers, green grasses, and dew. But it also has an odd smell of rotting vegetation on me. Like I'm standing next to a compost bin. I do like that it manages to smell like wet flowers, but the underlying rotting note is majorly turning me off.

A half hour later, the rotten note is gone and I have a light watery floral blend. It's good, but it doesn't feel at all like me. I feel like an imposter in someone else's perfume, lol.

This only lasted about 3 hours on me. It did develop into a green floral and the lovely wet smell stayed with it strongly. It's just... not me... so I'll probably swap away my imp.

I have to agree with the above poster that it didn't change much from imp to skin. However it seemed to last all day on me.

Initially it was pretty strong. I might have applied too much, but it was definately a very green floral scent. I can definately pick out the tulips and a grassy smell. It was a pretty clean smelling scent too. As it wore on my skin the scent atill didn't change much on me, just became less intense. I think I am going to have to try this again and not apply as much and see what happens then. Overall, I did like this scent but i can't see myself reaching for it oo often.

When I was in university, there was this huge hill that I would climb to the top of with a good friend of mine. We would always carry a blanket and we would just lay on the blanket together, listen to the sound of the wind blowing through the trees and grass, and we'd stare up at the sky, watching the clouds float by and not saying a word. Amsterdam is the scent of those days gone by. It encompasses everything about that time in my life that I loved. It is the scent of clear, cool stream waters and grass that is begging to by layed in. It is the scent of flowers on the air that aren't in sight, but you know that they are around because the breeze is carrying the scent to you. I wish I had tried it earlier.

i was leary of this one because of the floral notes, but WOW! i was pleasantly surprised. i can smell wet grass and fresh flowers.. very pretty scent. :P

The fresh scent of tulips is what I smelled as soon as I opened the bottle. When I put it on, it took on an early morning rain scent. It stayed wet as it dried down and the tulips just took over in the most glorious way. It lasted almost eight hours without a touch up and the tulips were the note that lingered until then.

Amsterdam

A pretty, nicely balanced green aquatic. For some reason, this evokes Madison Avenue and 5th avenue on a sunny day for me - all the pretty, rich shops, everything crisp and colorful in the windows. I am suddenly strongly channeling a Breakfast at Tiffany's quote -

Holly Golightly:"You know those days when you get the mean reds...No, the blues are because you're getting fat or maybe it's been raining too long, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly, you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of. Did you ever get that feeling?...Well, when I get it, the only thing that does any good is to jump into a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it. Nothing very bad could happen to you there."

In the end, this developed into a clean, freshly showered scent with a pikake -type note. Very pretty. All about Spring sunshine & bright colors.

Amsterdam

This smells like a quite ordinary light, fresh, flowery perfume to me. I don't get any water or grass, but I get some peony, although not at all as heavy as the ones in my mother's garden. I also think I'm getting lily of the valley, something very young and innocent anyway. I agree it's light green and light pink. In the beginning, it's a bit soapy on me, I guess aquatics do that to me, but after half an hour or so that's gone and it's sweeter and not quite as fresh. Still very light and innocent though. Nice, but not that interesting.

Edited by Caltha

My Impression: OMG, clean,crisp,aquatic and floral...I love you lab for this one. I might have never tried it, but am so glad I did thanks to the frimp I received. Now when to get a bottle... :P

I can imagine that this smells of fresh tulips and lillies during a sun shower. I must say, my favorite "clean" scent so far. (Now if only I can find a way for it to last over 4 hours..!)

Edited by gravity_always_wins

I expected this to be a lot more sharp and crisp, but I think the tulip blurred the edges of this scent. I'm a little disappointed. It's pretty, yes, but.. I really wanted PEONY! and GRASS! and WATER! just smacking me in the face.

In the bottle

water, and something gentle and lovely

On

So very pretty. It a light scent and it smells like sunshine, tulips, and water with a wee bit of grass.

30 minutes

It doesn't morph much if at all. Yay.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

aqua/floral/green

Summary

A fresh floral that is light and very pretty, plain and simple. :P

Purchase again?

Most definitely. A 5ml for sure maybe even a 10ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

In the Bottle: Watery, green and a tinge of floral. Very fresh.

On Skin: Strongly watery and green, very clean. I smell the peony.

On Drydown: This reminds me of something... I can't remember what though. It's a pretty, floral, aquatic scent.

Verdict: I like this. But I'm not entirely too crazy about it. It's a pretty, light and very feminine scent. :P

I can't believe I've not reviewed this one yet. Amsterdam is easily one of my top 5 favorite scents.

It's pretty much the same from the bottle to my skin: predominately tulip (one of my favorite flowers) with a green and aquatic background.

What I think is absolutely marvellous about this scent is that it never, ever turns on my skin - I have some trouble with florals, in that a lot of them seem to wind up heavy and overly sweet - the floral equivalent of overripe fruit, I suppose. Amsterdam never comes close to reaching that state; it is nothing but crisp, clean floral, and I absolutely adore it.

This is the perfect warm weather scent.

The only issue is that it doesn't last very long on my skin - I don't care. I carry an imp with me when I wear it and slather. It's far too beautiful not to wear, and its probably the scent that I get the most compliments on - it's created at least one other BPAL addict amongst the people I know.

Ahhh, I really love the smell of tulips. It reminds me of growing up in the Midwest. This is a pure, floral, airy tulip scent, with a faint hint of an aquatic undertone. It can almost smell the spring air and picture the perfect spring sunny morning. Really nice, feminine and innocent, I love it. :P

I haven't had a lot of luck with watery florals, but Amsterdam works pretty well. I don't get a lot of change between the wet stage and dry down - just a fresh, clear light floral, with a bit of aquatic (but not ozoney) tang. To me, this is like smelling a field of tulips with a bit of salt air (I know the description says "fresh water" rather than salt - but to me there's a definite but subtle salty-ness to it).

This is a very springy scent to me - I can see myself wearing it a lot in January and February, when I'm miserable with the weather and dying for spring to come!

Amsterdam is so pretty, and another good 'gateway' BPAL blend. It's very uncomplicated, just tulips and green grass, a springtime blend all the way.

I like my scents a little bit darker than this, so my one imp is all I'll need, but come springtime, I'll be putting it into rotation!

On me, Amsterdam is a lot of tulip, a little bit of grass, and a touch of dew...it's fresh and springlike and it makes me think of looking for Easter eggs under tulips in the morning.

However, after a few seconds the floral and aquatic go all artificially perfumey on my skin and they overwhelm the rest. It actually reminded me strongly of some sort of lotion or shampoo or something that I had smelled before, but I couldn't pinpoint it. Anyway, I think I'll stick with my beloved Rosalind for a green grassy scent.

In the bottle: Wow, this really is tulips! I don't think I've ever smelled that in a perfume before. The scent is cool and lightly floral, not too strong.

First on: This one doesn't morph much on my skin. Before it had a bit more of a generic "aquatic" scent, now the tulips are a little heavier, but overall not much change.

Dry: More of the same

Overall: Very unusual. I like.

In the imp: Grass.

On, wet: Sweet green grass.

Later: So far the peony hasn't turned to laundry detergent on me, which is good! This is a very nice scent, green grass but sweeter, a gentle scent. No "aquatic" notes showing up, thankfully, just tulip and peony and lots of green, green grasses.

Whew! I didn't think I was going to like this, but suprise, suprise, Amsterdam is gorgeous!

This is all tulips and fresh cut grasss on me. Amsterdam is spring in a bottle. This one reminds me of Easter with my family.

This one pretty much stays exatly the same in bottle, wet on skin and as it dries down. I can see myself wearing this April- June. Mmm..I can't stop niffing myself. I think my little sister will actually love this one. Looks like we'll both be owning 5mls of Amsterdam pretty soon ^^

In the vial: This is, quite plainly, Gap Dream, which I wore religiously when I was around 12. It's very soapy, with a soft floral undertone.

Wet: The aquatic note comes out strongly on my skin, changing the scent from pure soap to something more crystalline and airy, though it still retains a definite aroma of soap. It's reminding me of the good parts of Lightning with none of the gross ozone notes.

Dry: It's grown so faint I have to breathe in very deeply to smell it. It's still that slightly soapy, airy, aquatic scent that is surprisingly nice, since I usually tend not to like aquatics. I think I smell a wee bit of floral in the way, way back.

An hour later: It's grown stronger again, so I don't have to try so hard to smell it. The aquatic is also more prominent now, though I could swear it smells a bit like ozone as well. The Gap Dream scent has been completely obliterated.

Overall: Nice, but not the sort of thing I would wear.

In the Bottle: Like stuffing your nose into a fresh bunch of flowers, floral, yes, sweet and soft but green stem too.

Dry: Very lilac to my nose. It may be tulip or peony, but for me it isn't that distinguishable from the soft vibrant BPAL lilac. There is a yummy green stem background. Very nice! Possibly big bottle.