BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

An ancient, free-willed race created from the essence of Fire, much as man was created from Earth. They prowled the land at night, vanishing with the first rays of dawn. Myths surrounding the Djinn paint them as many things: benevolent champions of mankind and slaves to mad sorcerers, malicious incubi / succubi and energy vampires, or malevolent harbingers of madness and disease. The Djinn are ruled by Iblis, the Prince of Darkness, who bears unspeakable contempt for man. The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

Maybe I am crazy.

When I apply this, I smell... ORANGE! Very bright orange, with sandalwood, and something more acrid and smoky lurking in the background. The dominant scent is definitely, definitely orange, though. very light, but very yummy, so far.

As it progresses.... It remains orange. The other notes fade, eclipsed by the orange. Only it is kind of an industrail cleanser-orange.... a bit chemical, maybe. Maybe that's just the acrid-ness.

As it continues to fade (about an hour and a half or so in), I can pick up the sandalwood underneath the orange, but they just don't want to play *together*. Sandalwood is having a grumpy day and doesn't want to come out and play at all, and orange thinks it might just take its ball and go home :/

I think I will have to give this another try some other time before I can pass final judgement.

Wet - the scent of blackness. Actually this reminds me of a wiccan store I used to frequent, they must have burned an incense similar to this.

Dry - or maybe it just smelled like anything they were burning. This is awesome! Smoke, flame and ashes covers this perfectly, but my god, this is gorgeous. If you love the smell of burning wood, this is for you.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Smells like cedar, burnt up to ashes and sitting in a tandorri oven. It has a pleasant dry smell, mostly woody, but nothing I'd wear. Reminds me a bit of Sri Lanka. Very dry, smokey, burnt. I was going to go as a Djinn for Halloween, too, and wanted this perfume to work! Oh well...

Ok, I want to smell this on my husband's neck immediately.

In the beginning, there was a powerful ginger, but as time passed it faded into a smokey, woodland smell. Ginger plus woodsmoke.

Ginger plus ashes.

Mmmmmm not on me, but imagining it on him. *drool*

I can't smell the spicy ashiness of this without wanting to curl up next to his neck and smell it on him.

Perfumed burning firs. Dead-on. Awesome. There's ginger or juniper in there, which stings my nose. It's very commercial cologne-y, thus not something I'd wear regularly. It's a bit sharper than I think I'd like on a guy, too. I'll be passing this one by, but it's still an amazing scent because of how it brings to life this concept.

A very strong, dark, woodsy smoky scent. Very much like wood burning, or like wood that has just been put out after a fire. There is definitely something a bit sinister about this one, it's an in your face evil type smell. Very unique, but not for me. This will go the way of Hellfire for me, I'm just not big on the scorched scents.

Djinn: ITB: spicy, slightly masculine.

On: Sharper and warmer, like the smoke of incense wafting from the brazier in a bedouin's tent. Tickles my nose, like just before a sneeze, though it doesn't actually make me sneeze.

Dry: up close, this has a very unpleasant undertone on me that I can't quite place. The throw is spicy, like walking through an exotic bazaar. But a bit too exotic for me, there's a definite edge of malice, something teasing at the edges of my awareness, lurking just around the corner. This is also quite concentrated, I put a tiny, wee dab on, and the throw is very powerful.

This is another excellent execution of a theme on Beth's part. As a frimp from the lab, I am glad I tried it, although I never would have ordered it. And now

I can definitely say that Djinn is simply not for me.

Edited by Wench457

djinn was one of those scents i got just for the whole 'i gotta smell this' reasoning, not because i really would think it would work on me. but it does! i have no idea what it smells like or what is in it, but there is something sweet, (not fruity/floral-sweet or cloying) with smoke in the background. it is one of the most interesting bpal scents ive tried. i instantly think of glittering jewels and smoke for some reason. sounds weird, but it's true.

Edited by theseagrows

Djinn is very odd to me.

In the vial, it's screechingly sinus-blasting lemon balm and dirty earth/smoke notes.

On me... it smells like lemon. But around the edges, I smell something deeply burnt and scorched like as if the sun had started a fire that burned the ground itself. There's definitely some kind of an earth/dust/dirt component to this, because it smells like scorched ground.

Odder and odder, my friends, the oddity.

Imp: Parsley and woodsap. This doesn't really smell like smoke, destruction or ashes to me. It smells very fresh, actually. I like it. I'm trying this on the hubby:

Wet: Still fresh, but less green/parsley smell. A bit of citrus smell to this. I am astounded by how clean it is, given the foreboding description.

As it dries, it remains a very fresh smell, and takes on a salty tinge. I smell woods in this, but they don't smell like the crackling burnt woods of the description. They're more sappy smelling. There is a tinge of burnt, I think, but not what I would normally think of as burnt. Despite not being what I expected after reading the notes description, the smell is a wonderful clean manly smell, and I like hubby in it.

Dry: The citrus from before is gone. Its just shower clean with a slash of outdoorsy-ness. It does kinda make me think of camping, but not really for campfire reasons.

Good staying power, still around after 5 hours, and only somewhat faded.

Overall: Hubby and I have scheduled having a jolly roger/djinn smell off to determine which of these clean smells will be HIS clean smell. Hehe.

Later: Okay, we did the comparison, and he prefers Jolly Roger. We really like both, but they're so similar on him that we won't need both.

To the swaps with Djinn--its far to masculine for me (and my results were pretty much identical to the hubby's).

I've had Djinn on my wishlist for a while, and was thrilled to see it show up in my last order. My dad used to take us camping alot when I was a kid, and I loved sitting around the campfire. Staring into the flames, poking at the coles with sticks, and I especially loved the smell of smoke in the air (provided it wasn't drifting right into my face at the time). When my dad would take us home my mom would complain that we smelled like a campfire, and she was right, I could smell the smoke on my clothes when I picked them up off the floor the next day. I loved that smell too. So when I read the description, I was hoping that Djinn would be reminicent of a campfire, or my clothes after I had sat close to one for hours.

Not so much, I didn't really care for it in the Imp at all, it smelled more like mens colonge than anything smoky or firey. It did become more smokey on my skin, but unfortunatly it was so acrid that it reminded me more of the way my cousins house smelled after it burned down than a bonfire. I also detected a slight roasting meat smell, which probably has more to do with my skin chemistry than the actual perfume itself. Djinn and I didn't get on well at all.

I don't like posting negative reviews so when I don't like something I just clam up.

Djinn is a love/hate relationship. It smells really good on me but for some reason I don't like it.

It is too dark for me maybe. Which makes no sense because I wear darker more wicked evil and sinister scents. I don't know. Sniffing it with my eyes closed gives me the impression of inky blackness darker than night.

It is powerfully erotic but it just doesn't work for me.

Imp: WOOD! Specifically, piney-wood. There is something underneath that is kind of smokey, and definitely an acrid note in there somewhere.

On: PINE and vetivert. The vetivert gives this scent a very "burning" pine feel. Neat, but not really something I wanna smell like. Might be a groovey room scent, though.

I didn't let this get dry, I had to wipe it off. It was far too strong for me and it made me a bit dizzy.

In the bottle: Strong! It smells like pepper, ashes and lemon, and I admit, I'm being wussy about getting it on my skin...

Wet: Much less violent than in the bottle. A powerful spice... cinnamon, perhaps, but so hot that I can hardly distinguish it. There's something woody in this, too, a very enjoyable scent, too. And still this slightly lemony scent. And... uh-oh. Play-Doh. Agh.

Drydown: Play-Doh's gone, mostly. But now it's tingling, it's really hot on my skin. Again I can smell wood and spices, I'm guessing this is a kind of sandalwood, and perhaps pepper/cinnamon. It's still pretty lemony, too, and it dries down to something soapy, in the end.

Overall: A very fiery and fierce blend, but not at all ashy, in my opinion - it smells of fresh crackling wood... or deserts, perhaps. But it's much too masculine for me, and not really working for me in general. *sends to swaps*

Djinn was a freebie from the Lab (thanks!) and one that I probably never would have tried on my own. The firey, ashy, smoldering blends never really suit me even though I appreciate the artistry that goes into them.

From Djinn I get camphor, orange, and a mix of evergreen and white woods. As it dries, the ashy note develops, and on me it borders on almost leathery for some reason. Overall, this is a very rugged and outdoorsy blend. It smells like days when farmers burn leaves in the fall---or a controlled fire set by rangers to release seeds from conifers.

Again, I appreciate the evocativeness of the blend but it's not something I would wear. This goes in my pile of imps to give away for enabling purposes... :P

In the vial: A little acrid, but quite sweet.

On my wrist, wet: More than anything I smell a pine, slightly smoky, slightly spicy. This isn't at all the inferno I was expecting (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

After 20 minutes: Djinn is one of those "color" smells, and its color is a deep, rich orange, like flame itself, but it's also sparkling with white, glittering points. I really like this.

After an hour: Very soft orange with a little of those sparkly points left, though quite dulled. This is a very calming, pleasant, carefree scent. I was expecting something very strong that would reach out and grab my attention and slap me around a little. Instead, Djinn is actually very ...pretty and graceful. This is an all-season scent, but one I have to be in a certain mood to wear. Come summer, this may be 5 ml-worthy.

In the bottle: I can't place any of the notes, actually. Maybe a little smoky?

On my skin: This one is surprising because it's so fresh once it makes contact with my skin. It's very much like Niflheim, but with a smokier, woodier undertone. Like with a few other bpal scents, though, my skin eats this up in minutes.

Usually I'd swap this, but a kind soul gave me a tarted frimp of this, so I'm keeping it for that. :P

Djinn. Wow, this oil is appropriately named for sure. Going on it's very acrid, like burning, fire, and ashes. Feels powerful and unpredictable, just as the Djinn are always described. Then it mellows out to a lemony, lightly incensey smell on me with the smoke and fire retreating into the background. I'm not sure I want to smell like it often, but it's too damn interesting not to keep. I bet this would work well in ritual, burning in an oil burner. This is not a white light, fluffy bunny smell. It's dark.

I wasn't sure what the smell of burning in a bottle would smell like, but I found this one to be surprisingly comforting for spirits of fire. I smell Lurid, which is a favourite of mine - the fresh, aquatic, berry scent - with an added bite of cinnamon spice. Is this weird? Probably, but I do know that this frimp's a keeper.

Scent in bottle: There's definitely ginger in this! *bouncebouncegingerbounce* Also a smoke-smell, and what might be patchouli? Fascinating. Sharp.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Ginger and some kind of warm, woody scent. It's lovely and comforting; not at all what I'd expected. I'd expected something ashy and evil, but if this a fire-creature, it's a phoenix.

Dry -- Something resiny that I can't identify has come to the front, with the ginger strong in the background and patchouli in there somewhere. Very sharp but still warm and hopeful.

Conclusion: Yum. I'm pleasantly surprised with how this turned out. Very unusual...it's not really something I could just wear around in most situations; I almost want some sort of ritual use for it. It's a quite gender-neutral scent --- I'd love to see what this does on a guy.

Posting my first review because I nearly freaked out at how djinn smelt nothing like the lab description on me. Only reading the reviews reassured me I wan't an utter mutant.

In the imp: turpentine!

On the wrist: All I can smell is cool pine, more specifically, pine Radox bubble bath. No smoke, no fire, no ashes just a big bath of bubbly, cleansing pine and it isn't even remotely warm, not even the warmth you normally get from your body heat.

An hour or so later and it's still just pine bubble bath, just much calmer and quieter.

My skin usually deepens and darkens scents, or eats them up in minutes. I have no idea WTF it's doing with this one but I won't be signing up for a bottle because I was really looking forward to the dark smokiness.

In the bottle: acrid, thick, dark smokiness.

On me: As it dries, it sweetens. Spices and cloves overlay the peppery smokiness, until it becomes a scent very like a well-made chai. Oh man, this is good. A great scent to wear on a cold winter's day, because it feels so warming and comforting.

Conclusion: didn't smell as expected, it smelled better. Wonderful.

In the bottle: Djinn is acrid. Kinda icky. Plus I think my old nemesis myrrh is in here.

First on: It's more pleasant on... there's sort of a nice smoky smell which I enjoy. Maybe kind of a pine scent? But yeah, still that icky resinous smell.

Dry: During drydown, it gets sweeter and softer and really quite nice. I might hang on to this one for a while and try it again