BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Aizen-Myoo

... Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

Imp: aquatic white flowers
Wet on me: heady aquatic white flowers
Drying Down: still heady flowers, less aquatic. Seems like the tea cut that out.
Dry: this is pretty but too heady for me.

Off to the Trade pile

Starts of with lots of tangy citrus. There is a hefty amount of sweet cherry blossom when wet too. Dry the blossoms fade and and mix with soft, but zingy citrus. I get mostly yuzu which smells to me a lot like grapefruit. I never detect the black tea.

Oh yikes, I think I found another flower my skin likes to amp big time. I don't think I put too much on, but I can smell my arm from three feet away! It's also making me sneeze. While I love cherry blossom on others, on me it's turning into a cheap air freshener with a weird sharp citrus sprayed over the top. There's no tea here that I can smell. In the imp it's nice, at least, but it's destined for the swap pile.

Apple was my first thought right when I applied this, but now looking at the description, I suspect the apple comes from the combination of cherry blossom with the other fruits as it smells like a floraly apple, a little powdery even.

I really wanted to try this one, especially when I was a little disappointed with another "Japanese" GC scent, Kyoto, so I added an imp of it onto another order I did from a forum member.

First Sniff Impression: Fresh, fruity, and a bit floral

Wet in Vial: I can definitely smell the fruits, though never having smelled any of them separately, I can't pick any single one out. I can also get the cherry blossom.

Drying Down on Skin: The three fruits blend together nicely for a bright, juicy citrus. The cherry blossom softens it a little, and I'm not able to get any black tea yet. The cherry blossom almost gives it a bit of a body wash smell, but I'm going to blame Bath and Body Works for that since that's one of my only experiences with a cherry blossom fragrance (ugh, please don't hold it against me. I was like ten years younger then!)

Dry on Skin: This had a nice, even fruity-floral smell while it lasted. Didn't have much lasting strength, though. Was pretty much all gone in about five hours.

Conclusion: This was a very pleasant scent. A little more approachable than some BPAL combinations. I definitely preferred this as a "Japanese" scent to Kyoto. I'll be keeping this imp around for a while!

I love Aizen-Myoo in the imp, and I remember being very pleased with it when I first tried it, but lately my skin chemistry is doing something very strange to it, changing the citrus tones into an unpleasant industrial cleanser smell. I noticed something similar though not so strong with the grapefruit in Cheshire Cat recently. Eventually it mellows down and the cherry blossom makes its presence felt, though I never got much tea, but the first half hour or so is not worth it on me.

Yuzu as HECK!!! Initial application is a burst of high-pitched, bright, tart citrus. I recognize the yuzu for sure but the closest other citrus I'd compare it to is grapefruit.

I'm getting just the softest background whiff of white floral as it dries down, and not a trace of black tea. This is a sharp, cheerful, yellow citrus scent with just a breath of flowers from the nearby trees. It's very much the smell of the skin of the citrus, like if the peel of a yellow grapefruit, white pith and all. I wouldn't call it juicy.

This is just such a light, clean, happy scent with an energetic zing! I really like it and will hang on to my imp.

I was expecting more fruit, but the cherry blossom overwhelms all at the beginning. The fruity scents come out as it dries down. Very pretty.

This vaguely reminds me of the B&BW japanese cherry blossom i used to wear but without the creaminess that one had. I'm not a fan of citrus notes, so the yuzu is strong for me. it is as the description reads, a bright bitter-sweet scent.

Yuzu over the top! Cherry blossoms for... days?!

:nervous:

I am no match for the bold Aizen-Myoo.

:run:

I leave her to be revered by those who are delightfully thralled by her charms.

I will admit that a large part of why I wanted to try this is due to Lush discontinuing their Yuzu & Cocoa products. They introduced me to yuzu and got me addicted. (Not that it was hard to do or anything, I tend to love every citrus I come across.)

In the imp: Yuzu and mikan. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wet: Wow, this is strong! Glad I didn't slather. Zesty, bright yuzu and mikan, and I'm not familiar with kaki but it's probably in there too. There's a soapy edge that I attribute to the black tea; it's not a BAD soapiness, per se, but it does make this remind me of a shampoo or body wash. It doesn't smell like tea unless I shove my nose against my skin and really huff.

Dry: The citrus is giving way to gentle sakura petals fluttering around. Cherry blossom is one of the few florals I can do in moderation (yeah, count me in as one of the B&BW Japanese Cherry Blossom fanatics back in the day, before I had migraine troubles) and it's at the perfect level for me here. Gentle and sunny and warm, like a perfect spring day. I can almost pretend I've gone cherry blossom viewing even though it's just barely above freezing here in NH today.

Good throw, good wear length. I think a bottle may be in my future.

Wet: HOLY CRAP that is some THROW. Juicy, bright, and bitter. And throw. Lots, and lots of throw. Like, it's in my mouth and choking me.

Dry: Well, this is the first scent I didn't wait for the dry-down on and had to wash off almost immediately. I'm a bit disappointed, because I'm a big fan of cherry blossom scents(and tea!), and was excited to try this one.

If you're looking for a scent strong enough to knock you on your ass, give this one a go.

I need to go buy some coffee beans to sniff(or maybe snort) now or something, because I think this scent lodged into my sinus cavities.

Edited by donkehpoo

It smells so sour when wet. Sour & sickly sweet. We're not talking sweet & sour chicken. I mean like biting Buddha's hand while smelling the sweet note in body odour. I thought maybe it had gone bad, but the sour turned into citrus/yuzu after drydown. And the sweet became light and not sickly.

I have fuyu persimmons growing in the backyard & the sweetness after drydown reminds me of them when they're just before ripe (before the honey note gets prominent). That would explain a vaguely astringent note that pops out as well. I don't get the mandarin or black tea notes at all. But, the incense/wood note may be the "tea."

You know, I smell the flowers, but they just aren't as strong as others above are saying. Does my skin eat sakura?!?!

Overall, this strongly reminds me of a lot of the plants growing in my neighborhood & backyard (this neighborhood is still pretty strongly japanese-american & the gardens reflect that). But, It feels like fall & spring were squished together. It makes it off balanced. Then again, maybe it's my skin chemistry. I kind of want to try layering this with oudh though. (IDK - I think it'd smell interesting)

Edited by Lemonlife