BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Le Serpent Qui Danse

A sinister, darkly seductive scent inspired by poetry of Charles Baudelaire. Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia.

In the vial: Baby powder, seriously, strait up Johnsons baby powder. I loathe, detest, hate, hate, hate the smell of baby powder. But in the interest of reviewing I slather some on one wrist anyway.

Wet: For the first few minutes this remains baby powder, but as it starts to warm up on my skin the vanilla starts to come out. I love vanilla, but it's burried under a deep layer of, can you guess? Baby powder. :P

Drydown: The vanilla dies a quick death and it's all baby powder, baby powder, baby powder. :D I've had it on for about an hour now, and I give up, it's starting to give me a headache. Must wash this off.

I'm PMS'ing hardcore right now, I think my hormones are screwing this one up pretty bad. I'll give it another shot later in the month.

I got this as a freebie on my first order. It's something I probably wouldn't have tried on my own, so thank you lab for expanding my horizons.

In the bottle, this was very violetty. I didn't get a whole lot of vanilla or gardenia, but I suspect that, to my nose, those ingredients are blending in to support the fundamental sweet, floral nature of the violet.

Like Lucretia in her earlier review, I couldn't help but think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory once I got some of this on my skin. It was so very, very violet. It doesn't take much of this oil to get the point across at all. Actually, it was pretty overwhelming the first time I wore it. I don't think I was ready for this as one of my first BPALs.

When it's finally dry, it reminds me of the old-fashioned Choward's violet candy, which I could seriously sniff all day. The vanilla really comes out on the drydown and that's what makes this scent for me. I like it a lot more than I expected to in the initial stages, but personality-wise, it's just not me. It does make me crave violet candy, though. I almost can't bear to keep smelling this without tasting some.

serp2.gif

Very floral and well blended, a surprising combination considering the name. Overall I liked Le Serpent, but there was nothing in it which was especially compelling to me. Once again, that was hideously subjective. Phffft, sue me.

Here we are again, on the search for the elusive perfect BPAL violet scent and hoping that this will not be another miss (don't I sound quite like Charlie Brown on his pitcher mound at the beginning of a new season? :D )

There is something about most violet scents I tried so far that turns overly earthy and gritty on me. However, it looks like Le Serpent qui Danse is going to work on me. This is not sweet at all (somehow I always expect that candied violet smell), but it is much smoother than most other violet blends. The earthiness is there, yet it never gets overwhelming. I cannot smell the vanilla per se, even though it is probably what makes Le Serpent so smooth.

Gardenia brings a spiciness to the blend that keeps intensifying as it settles down. The final stage ends up being a tad too peppery for my taste, unfortunately :P

From the name, I think I expected something more exotic, swirly, alluring yet dangerous... I have a feeling this would layer very well with single note vanilla, or maybe even Snake Oil. Might just as well keep vanilla-scented reptiles together :D

In imp and wet, spicy gardenia. Actually burned my nostrils, lol.

Drydown, nothing but gardenia.

After about 30 minutes, still strong, but now powdery, gardenia, with the addition of banana popsicle. Not sure I'll try this one again, probably straight to the swap pile.

At first: babypowder + something perfumey + a hint of grass

A few minutes later: babypowder is still there, grass is gone, and the perfumey-ness has morphed into something almost like aftershave, reminds me slightly of a strong note wood-aftershave note in Lucky #20. (yeah, I know that's helpful to you.) Could be that violets just badly disagree with me. I have the same reaction of 'ick, aftershave' to the raven.

30 min later: the scent doesn't morph much more. Same as above. Good throw though.

3 hours later: only a bit of vanilla sweetness is left.

[edited for 3 hour report]

Edited by Muppetk

It's probably just my body chemistry but the violet and gardenia just rounded out the vanilla in this on me instead of stepping to the front; it's a rich dark vanilla without being (oddly) foody.

I got this as an extra in an LJ transaction and I totally fell in love with the scent!

Edited by emz83

Imp: Ah, african violet!

Wet: Violet with...stuff...can't really smell the gardenia or vanilla, but I know something else is in the mix.

Drydown: Okay, a bit of powder now, but still - violet! Now I can smell the vanilla, too.

10 minutes later: Eh? I know I put this on, but where did it go?! Every now and then I'll move and get a very faint whiff of violets and vanilla, but it's so faint that I'm not sure if anyone else can smell it either.

Overall: this is absolutely lovely...when it's wet. Alas, my skin loved it so much it sucked it up like water in a desert. I might apply to my clothes and hair next time, and see how it goes.

But I gotta tell ya, I'm bummed this didn't last on me :P

oro

In bottle: Violets and vanilla. It's very sweet, like sugared violets. In the bottle, I really like it. Lovely delicate florals with a scent that slithers out of the bottle and over your skin.

On me: It is almost as if the scent rolled over, and the violets were pushed to the bottom and gardenia to the top. This smells STRONGLY of gardenia blossoms, white and creamy, with wisps of smoky sweet violets and vanilla. I wish the bottle and the skin fragrance matched better; I can't stand this scent.

First sniff: I’m having an awfully hard time getting a handle on this one. It almost smells like nothing in the vial – like the center of the scent isn’t there, but the floral violet powder is sprinkled around the outside of what isn’t and I can only smell it when I stop inhaling.

Wearing: Vanilla explosion! It wafts up strongly and then wisps away, and I’m left with florals and the barest under-hint of vanilla. And that vanilla undertone warms slowly as it dries. Just beautiful.

Still on the quest for the perfect violet:

This one is a real shape shifter.

In the vial this is violet mixed with something fresh and green smelling.

On my skin, that scent stays true as it begins to dry down. The green must be the gardenia, which I am not familiar with, but it almost smells like vetiver and reminds me in that way of Saturnalia, though in Le Serpent the violet stays dominant.

After an hour or so the green floral changes to an almost white musk scent, again with the violet on top.

A few hours later, the musk suddenly vanishes and I am left with a violet and vanilla scent, very much like the dry down of Sybaris.

This is a lovely and interesting scent. Not sure whether it or Sybaris is my favourite so far.

Bottle (Imp): Oooh, I have no idea what I'm smelling with the sweetness, but I LIKE it. It reminds me of SOMEthing.

Just On: It's sweet, and that elusive SOMEthing is tickling my memory, but I just can't put my finger (nose?) on what it is.

An hour or two later: The sweetness goes away, and I'm left with that elusive thing that I can't quite figure out.

Around 6 hours: It's starting to fade quite a bit now.

12 hours: I'm thinking there is a flower I get along with in here, as I'm getting the lovely powderiness I like.

Overall: Great staying power, and a very nice scent all in all. Bottle worthy.

After reading other reviews: Hmmm, is it violet or gardenia that I loved in this with the vanilla? I'll have to see what I can figure out by other scents I've tried with them in it.

In the Bottle: I can smell the violet and the gardenia.

On Skin: Still smelling the violet and the gardenia. It kind of reminds me to Ultraviolet at this point. Except with an extra shot of bitterness, like a crushed plant aroma.

On Drydown: I think its the gardenia that makes this scent smell kind of bitter on my skin. I can smell the violet but the gardenia is overpowering.

Verdict: I don't think gardenia and I get along at all. :P Off to the swap!

In bottle: I can smell each note individually and they blend together very well. The vanilla is definitely there, but not overpowering and not foody.

Wet: Gardenia is pretty strong on me, but I like it and I know it will fade a bit. I can still smell the vanilla. I'm not sure what violet smells like on me, but so far I really like this.

Dry: This scent turned into sweet grassiness on my skin. What I think is violet comes out more. The vanilla is very very faint. The scent is light...I need to apply more. I'm keeping this one around for a bit.

Ooh. Dark violet. The gardenia makes the violet more mysterious. As it dries, it turns more fresh and more violet, but definitely a dark violet. I am so not a floral person--but if I were, this would be my choice of violet.

This was a frimp that I had considered getting (vanilla!), but hadn't due to the floral notes. I have no excuse not to try it now. =D

In the vial - Violet! Some gardenia, but hot damn, there's just tons of violet.

Wet - Oh, vanilla! This is a wonderful vanilla with just a background of floral! I LIKE THIS!

Drying - Eh, the vanilla backed off almost immediately. =/ The violet is coming back out, but there's something in the background here... something spicey... Anise?!? Is that anise?!? No, I think it's just that I'm not used to the gardenia; if I remember correctly, that's a flower with some kick to it.

Dry (1 hour later) - This is rather strange... The violet has turned vaguely soapy and keeps fading in and out. It's odd. The gardenia and the vanilla are very nice underneath it, giving it sweetness and kick. Wish the violet would chill out, though. =P

Overall - This is super feminine, although I think I could get used to it, despite the violet sometimes coming in violently strong. After a couple of hours, the vanilla settles in and it actually smells exactly like sugared violets. (You know, those little candies they make out of real flowers?) I'll give it another go before making my final decision, but this seems like a possible "yes."

In the bottle: vanilla & violet. I like it.

First on: The gardenia really comes out, and the violet takes a backseat to everything. Each note is still easily detected.

Drydown: It lingers as a vanilla floral. If I search, I can smell the violet and the gardenia, which have both mellowed out, but neither is jumping away. It blends really nicely together, but I'm not sure it's a good scent for me.

I ordered this one after doing an ingredient search for "vanilla" which I tend to learn toward in the favorite scents category. I was hoping that the vanilla and violet would tone down the gardenia, and it seemed to in the vial, but all I got on the skin was gardenia, gardenia, gardenia. Not a keeper, sorry to say.

I included this in an imp pack from the Lab before I realized just how much violet and I tend to disagree.

In the bottle: Vanilla flowers, almost candy-sweet

Wet: Here comes the acrid stage of the violet, clashing horribly with the vanilla.

Drydown: The violet gets through its issues, letting the vanilla and gardenia come forth.

Verdict: Well, it's my usual issue with violet, in that I either have to wear it in a scent locket or wait through a nasty stage for the violet to calm down. And in this case the end result leaves the violet and the other notes clashing somewhat to my nose. Going to have to think about this one.

From the bottle:

this one is nice. definately smells like gardenia and something underneath that i can't tell. VERY sweet though.

On me: hmm. not like it is in the bottle at all. sweet, and soft. i can't figure out what scent though...strong violet?

Two hours later: mora vanilla-y, but not ridiculously. I like it. at first at as really strong, but now, it's ok. not so bad. So sweet though. maybe just a once in a while thing..

Wet on me this was sweet violets with something green in the background (I don't know if the 'green' was a part of the violet or the gardenia or something else entirely). As it dried it got greener and less sweet and then it switched completely. Dry on me this is a very dry spicy incense scent, with what I'd be tempted to say is sandalwood in the background. I like this blend, but I'm having difficulty reconciling the two halves, as it were.

at first this was WAY too violet-y, and i like violets. but after it faded a bit, the vanilla came through. reminded me of what violet cake might smell like. if it existed (maybe it does?) but not strong like the violet candy.

then after it wore off even more, it started to remind me of black pearl, which is one of my favorites so far. on me it smelled like a more violet-powdery version of black pearl. i thought this was strange because neither of these contain any of the same notes.

i might have to get a big bottle of this one! once i decide if i like this one or black pearl better.

Le Serpent Qui Danse is pretty much exactly as advertised. The vanilla and violet make a delicate, sweet, girly, candied violet scent, and the gardenia adds a hint of a creamy, tropical edge. It's a sweet, simple, cool sort of floral (violets usually smell cool to me).

Edited by Little Bird

This is VERY nice.

In the bottle: Tangy wonderful violet.

Wet/DryDown: Tangy wonderful violet.

Dry: without wrist held to nose, a beautiful cloud of, yes, tangy wonderful violet. :P But, if I hold my wrist to my nose, I smell an entire violent PLANT, the flower, the greens, and even the dirt. It's literally as if I have a violet plant growing on my arm. It's quite magnificent.

I get absolutely no vanilla or gardenia from this, only violet that morphs very little. I am buying a 10ml of this one.

Bottle: This is a very poignant floral. I am not good at separating floral notes, but luckily this only has three notes, so even I can handle this. So, its sweet gardenia followed by sharp violet. I don't know why, but every blend has this incredibly sharp/bitter smell to me, so I assume that's what violet smells like. Kind of cold, actually.

Wet: This is a creamy sweet floral. The gardenia here is almost fruity, which is a good thing. There is a very little bit of vanilla, but not much to speak of, really. The biting violet is at the end.

Drying: Initial drdown, the violet takes over and this is a very sharp bitter green floral--the whole plant just crushed--bitter plant smell on me. In about 10 minutes, the gardenia starts coming back at the end of a whiff with just the slightest hint of creamy vanilla. The sharp violet mellows over the span of the scent, and the gardenia gets a little spicy smelling. The whole scent sweetens as it matures. Somewhere between 2-3 hours, this changes a great deal into a lightly floral vanilla. A very pretty blend. It lasts well for about 6-7 hours.

Overall: This is a very interesting blend. I think someone who likes florals, and particularly violet, will enjoy it greatly. The last flowery vanilla stage was a bit powdery on me, but then, my skin has a talent for turning florals to powder. The last bit was still very pretty. The initial strong violet stage was definitely not for me--violet strikes me as a cold bitter smell, even though that's not how I associate them with my childhood. I've not really been a fan of any violet blend I've tried thus far, but I'll keep trying. This, meanwhile, will enter my swap pile.