BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Hymn to Proserpine

The darkening amber of faith’s sunset, deepened by the dark fruits of Proserpine.

In the imp: You know, amber is one of those notes that I've convinced myself I really like. However, most of the amber scents I've tried have been consigned to B-list status. I do like the smell of this one in the vial, and I can clearly detect the fruits.

Wet: You know, this is pretty good, and I'll be damned if it doesn't match the notes description to a tee. I'm still pretty bad at picking out individual types of fruits, but they seem rather exotic and sun-kissed (which is probably an effect of the amber).

Drydown and wear: This stays pretty true to the wet stage, though there is a problem with fading (I think my skin must soak amber up pretty effectively, because this happes with a lot of the amber scents I've tried). Not that I go to the beach often (ever), but this strikes me as a very tropical beach scent: whiffs of naturally growing fruit mingle with the smell of warm skin that still has some sunscreen left, but is dominated by sand and flowers.

Hymn to Proserpine

In the imp: mmm, softly fruity and slightly musky amber.

Wet on skin: dark fruit preserve-probably plums, with a wine like edge, with honeyed amber.

Dry on skin: now I can smell the pomegranate! This is gorgeous, I must say. A deeply fruity scent of pomegranate and plum, maybe with some berries/currants, a little bit of cherry, maybe even some wine, it gives the impression of a dark fruit preserve, with a sugary edge. There's something about this scent that smells like syrupy honey-which is a good thing, it's like honeyed dark fruit. Maybe it's the amber? If so, it's such a beautiful amber note-glowing and translucent, golden, sweet and resinous with a honey like aspect to it. It's almost jam like at times, but this is the jam of the gods!

After a while: after about 5-10 minutes, the scent loses its slightly jammy scent and becomes even more beautiful than I expected. I started to catch wafts of a wonderful soft musk scent when I wasn't sniffing my wrist, and I sniffed my wrist and whoa. Beautiful golden amber with a light musk-I'm thinking of the white or Egyptian variety-with just a hint of fruit! This is a stunning scent-and I totally agree with the Morocco/Black Opal comparisons, because this does have a similarity, only this one is sweeter, and more golden and warm, thanks to the amber, and has a darkly fruity background. There's still a hint of honey to it. Then it becomes a bit more musky (or the musk note becomes fresher and a little bit tangy) and there's a real feel of perfume to it-but that's a good thing. This is a very sophisticated, womanly scent. There's also something about the drydown that reminds me of Eat Me-maybe there's a currant note among those dark fruits.

Verdict: another stunning and beautiful scent that I need a bottle of. At first it smelt like a particularly luxurious toast topping, like expensive fruit jam with plums and berries and cherries with a hint of pomegranate, with honey on top. Which was all well and good but then the scent transforms into something even more wonderful. Gorgeous golden amber with a delightful, fresh and sun-kissed skin musk, similar to Black Opal, but with warm sweet amber instead of a cool mineral scent, and with hints of dark fruit remaining in the background. This is such a delightful scent-it's very well crafted, very grown up, almost like a good quality expensive perfume, but so much better. I need a bottle asap. I think this is going to become another BPAL classic!

Emoticon rating: :P

This one broke my heart. I thought it would be a rich, pomegranate, musky golden amber from the other reviews...it was, and I hate to say it, "like a craft store" on me. :P

Hymn to Proserpine: In the bottle is amber and something else though that something else isn't fruity. Can't quite put my finger on it. Once on - wow this is strong! Lots of amber and another element giving it a perfumey quality. There's a little bit of spiciness but the overall impression is amber perfume. I wish was able to smell the fruit but this is still nice. It seems like a dressy, sophisitcated amber rather than an earthy, sexy amber.

Mmmmm. I really like Hymn to Proserpine. It's a dark, golden amber with the tartness of fruit. I'd wager pomegranate, and some kind of other berry. Cranberry, perhaps. It's a "your skin, but better" scent-- and I've already been complimented on it numerous times. A good day-to-night scent. I very well may get a bottle of this.

This is beautiful! This is strong, sweet amber. There’s a fruity element, I suppose that must be the pomegranate but I can see similarities to cranberry. I’m really loving this. I had my boyfriend smell it and he said that it smelled like candy. I’m disappointed that he doesn’t love it like I do, and now I can see similarities to candy, it’s such a sweet scent. But it is so much more. It smells like there could be a touch of vanilla in here. And maybe some sandalwood. I want a bottle of this; I know that my imp is not going to last. I love this scent.

(Looking over the reviews as I was getting ready to post, fallow deer compares it to Al Azif. Thinking about it, I too can see similarities to Al Azif. For me, not the incense part but more the sweetness.)

To my nose, this is resin and confection, tart fruit boiled into a warm syrup. There's musk, I think, something that lends smoke to the blend, and something that's between herbal and floral. It's warm, but it makes me think of the sun setting. Interesting.

First sniff for the imp is a lightly sweet, sharp green. On skin, the sweetness strengthens to a slightly acrid/dry incensy powder, the comparisons to Al-Azif are dead on although unlike Al-Azif, this one isn't 'causing the irritation to my throat that was so heartbreaking with A-A.

Within minutes the amber comes through beautifully without compromising what's already there. There's a *very* slight Hexannacht-like something in this.

Dark & almost menacing, smoky sweetness. I love it.

Definitely big bottle worthy. Damn.

:P

In bottle: A very light, vibrant fruit

On skin, wet: Bubblegum and fruit

On skin, dry: A very light fruity amber.

Conclusion: Yarg.

Rating: 0/5

Aye, and 'tis dark fruit indeed, tempered with amber.

I am not certain I like it. It is very nice, but it does not blow my mind as a couple of scents have in the same package. But it may grow on me.

You know something is amazing when you catch yourself saying things out loud as a response...and you are all alone :P When I sniffed the imp I said "WOW" out loud, lol. This is BREATHTAKING. Definitely one of my favorites, without a doubt. I NEED a big bottle.

It's got a lovely sweet, golden...ahhh I can't put my finger on it. I've smelled this before...

I'm at a loss as to ways to describe this other than to say it's stunning. It's not harsh or in your face yet it's not too soft or subtle either. Perfect blend of oils and the perfect throw. LOVE IT

Soft, dark red, hazy, rich skin scent – like red velvet. Red fruit and smoky incense. Sunset fading into night, a tent on a hill with blood red cushions, golden dishes.

Amber is hit or miss on me, but this one is lovely, and the pomegranate isn't the candy-sweet one of Persephone but a darker, winier one -- the smoky note makes it gorgeously autumnal. I think I really love this.

This imp is traveling as part of the General Catalogue swap.

This particular batch of imps -- Ava Maria Gratia Plena, Hymn to Propserine, Jazz Funeral, Jolly Roger, Juke Joint – consists almost exclusively of notes that give me trouble. These include booze, jasmine and … well, what fruits are Prosperine’s? Apple?? Although I'm guessing pomegranate, I can't risk it.

Because I’m way, way behind and want to get the imps circulating, I’m sending it on its way, I just don’t want to risk an allergic reaction even sniffing. I may have to contact the Lab to see if there is apple ... yes, I'm intrigued.

Safe travels little imp!

In the bottle: Funky peanut butter.

On my skin: Warm, sticky amber and heavy sticky dark fruit.

It must have something in common with Eat Me... Currants? They smell similar, but Hymn to Proserpine still gives me the impression of peanut butter somehow.

It's really pretty on me.

Hymn to Proserpine is Exhibit A for why I always test imps before buying GC bottles. If ever there was one that tempted me to spring for a bottle unsniffed, this was it. I LOVE the poem, and I normally like amber and the "darker" fruits (assuming that's pomegranate, plum, etc.). This one doesn't work on me. It's very sweet in the dreaded "old lady" way (powdery, cloying). There's a heavy incense quality that reminds me of The Caterpillar, and a touch of...licorice, oddly enough. The fruits are only distinguishable as a syrupy mess of goo, although maybe one of them is registering as licorice on me. It's a bold scent, and I'll bet it'd be lovely with the right chemisty, but not mine. Luckily, I have a big bottle of juicy rose gorgeousness to honor Persephone/Proserpine, so I can let this one go without too much grief.

In the bottle - Quite masculine and aftershave like, with the fruit in the background.

Wet on me - Caramelly earth, with soft fruits in the background. Odd, but not unpleasant.

Dry on me - Dark mellow fruits dripping with their own juices.

Overall - Very nice, but not spectacularly so.

Hmph. Yes, I can pick up a little of the amber underneath, but the "dark fruits of Proserpine" appear to boil down to one thing only: PINE. (Well, and maybe a little juniper.) Strong pine. As in "Pine-Sol". It goes on smelling of pine cleanser and never balances out, and I have to actively sniff at it to notice the amber at all. It might make a nice room scent, if your fussy Southern aunt was coming over and you wanted to impress her with how nice and clean your house smells. Bottom line: swap pile. :P

In the vial: Fruity (pomegranate and what I think is plums and berries), soft - I almost smell something citrusy but its very faint

Wet on the skin: Oh pomegranate, please don't turn floral or nasty on me.. I love you and you smell so lovely with this blend. There is a deep rich scent backing up the fruitish forefront.

On drydown: *kicks pomegranate* I don't understand it, almost every blend with pomegranate turns awful on me. This isn't horrible but its making me want to wash it off *cries* Its very strong and perfumey, I've still got some of the other fruits in the scent but the pomegranate scent has gone completely sour on my skin. Boo..

This is a nice scent on me. It's pretty straightforward with the description- amber and dark fruits. The scent is light, though the feeling is darker- the fruits have a deep winey smell and blends evenly with the amber. I'll definitely be keeping the imp, but may end up layering it more than wearing it by itself.

Hymn to Prosperpine

(I am copying the spelling right off the lab label, not sure if it is correct)

In the vial: sharp, almost like isopropyl alcohol.

On me: It smells like almond, soft and sweet. Maybe a hint of plum. I haven't decided if I like what plum scents smell like on me. They have a sharpness, a resemblance to isopropyl alcohol.

I had to order this one for two reasons: 1. Amber = love (for me) and 2. I have a certain affinity for Persephone/Proserpine. Oh, and the poem is beautiful, too!

In the bottle: amber and fruits. I'd guess pomegranate to go with the theme, but it doesn't seem tart enough. I'd almost go with grapes, which would explain the wine note people are commenting on.

On me: I am mostly getting amber, although this is more complex than straight amber. The fruit note disappears pretty quickly, although there is something a little bit more "fresh" than amber usually is. This is one of those complicated yet seamless scents that Beth seems to excel at---absolutely gorgeous! It lasted through dinner and a movie for me.

Hymn to Proserpine seems to very similar to The Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, without the floral note. I'll probably get a bottle of one of the two; they are both lovely!

Ancientgirl

Hymn to Prosperine...I believe I bought a 5ml outright just because it has the seductive amber with dark fruit combo. Beth's amber blends have been consistent winners with me and although I am not a huge fruit fan the idea of the amber swirling with dark fruit made my pulse quicken a bit. Why you ask??? Well..last year or so I was lucky to procure a bottle of Queen of Spades...I didn't realize how fabulous that scent truly was and as of recently I have been trying to figure out what GC fragrance could take it's place.

I wasn't going to try Hymn to Prosperine...but since I was having trouble getting another GC scent to stay on me..specifically Florence..I figured why not layer Hymn to Prosperineover it and see how it flies??? So...here is my review..sorry for the rambling... :P

Intitial sniff from the bottle:Fruity...like stone fruit..maybe cherry, maybe plum, maybe currant??? Definitely dark fruits..maybe a bit of pomegranate..all this in the forefront..don't get amber..just a dark fruit swirl. It isn't in my face but it isn't invisible either. I like it.

Applied wet on skin:Dark fruit..more of a plum/black cherry melange..and I get the tinge of the amber in the back. It's round and smooth..the fruit isn't overly sharp and not sickenly sweet either..full and fruity and warm...really nice.

Couple of minutes on skin:Amber is warming up on my skin and really adding depth to this..it's now more amber with the fruit now in the background. This isn't an aggressive fragrance on me..although I smell the fruit and amber duo..the throw is actually soft..it kind of wafts easily and lazily on me. If I keep my wrists away from my nose I get a bit more of the fruit note..but if I sniff up close it's all delicious soft amber.

Again..throw on me is soft to moderate. Lasting power is actually about 4+hours on me. If I apply on my hair..it lasts even longer.

Drying on skin: Still the amber in the forefront..with the fruit note(s) peeking in and out. I enjoy this very much.

Drydown:Warm amber with hints of the fruit...almost like a warm skin scent on me.

Bottom Line:I actually like this very much. It kind of reminds me of Queen of Spades..except it doesn't have the wood and touch of smoke and is a bit softer in it's translation on my skin. I will have to hoard my Qof S but I likeHymn to Prosperine very much as a late summer to early winter fragrance. She helped Florence stick on me a bit longer and to that I am eternally grateful. I might actually buy another 5ml because surprisingly enough, I am almost halfway down my bottle... :D

Hymn to Proserpine:

In the imp, warm fruit & amber.

On me........ I've smelled this somewhere before! It's really familiar but I can't put my finger on it!

I get amber, musk, and just ripe fruits like berries and what I think is pomegranate.

It's a very warm and sweet smell with average throw. I like it... don't love it.... but I can see it growing on me. :P

Edited by Shollin