BPAL Madness!
nineveh

The Scales of Deprivation

Thin, dark, and shadowed. A scent that offers no sustenance, comfort or satiety: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum.

Lovely blend. The initial lemon is present but doesnt overwhelm, balanced with white sage, frankincense, and a subtle lavender. I also get a touch of sandalwood at this stage.

Frankincense, labdanum, and sandalwood come out on me as this dries, though hints of lemon and lavender linger.

I like it.

My nose had a bit f trouble with this one. I couldn't pinpoint any notes, even when I checked the description. I think I can pick out the lavender, but as soon as I get a whiff, it changes and goes away. After it dried, it finally settled on cleaning product. So whatever is going on, it's not for me. Chemistry is weird.

I get the thick sweetness of labdanum (which I mistook for ambergris) with a dusty, soft frankincense and a dry herbal greeness from the sage. The lavander probably adds to that last aspect, but i don't register it specifically as lavender. A thin thread of citrus floats above the whole thing adding some complexity and lifting the fragrance. Overall, this is a dusty herbal/wood blend that's well blended and would smell divine on a guy but would work for a lady too. I've really been impressed by the 4 horsemen blends.

In the imp: The lemon peel in this is actually a lot softer than expected, but it’s one of the main notes I’m getting from the imp, along with the white sage. Behind those notes, I can smell some frankincense and fougere.

Wet: This is kind of medicinal, in a cough drop way. The lemon peel and white sage still stand out to me the most, but I’m also getting more of the lavender fougere on my skin than I did in the imp. Then, a light frankincense emerges, along with a pale sandalwood.

Dry: The lavender fougere and resins are the main players. I am still getting the sage, but the lemon peel is very light now. The resins are a little heavier(the labdanum has probably joined in, and the frankincense has gotten stronger). There’s no smoky vetiver here -- it’s the herbal bourbon vetiver variety that I can handle.

Verdict: This is light and airy and more pleasant than I thought it would be. I think it would be great on a guy, but I don’t think I’d reach for this one myself, even though it is nice.

Edited by dementia_divine