BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellfire

A scent celebrating Sir Francis Dashwood's Order of the Knights of St. Francis of Wycombe, also known as the Hellfire Club. A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

yeah....this is pretty good. Gave me a bit of a head ache at very first sniff, but as it mellowed out its reminding me ALOT of my favorite, Perversion...but more like the Evil Twin Brother This the Dominant to Perversions' Submissive.

Me Likey! (BDSM RULEZ!!!!!!) Edited by Shollin

I got this as a frimp in my first Lab order. In the bottle it smelled musty and made me sneeze. On me it smelled like very old dried mint. Oh well, Off to the swap box

The lab sent me two frimps of this and boy were they right!

In the bottle: Ambergris, vanilla and tobacco, with a whiff of mentol. It's a very rich scent.

Wet: As with most musk scents, this disappears when it touches my skin, and then warms up and starts smelling strongly of tobacco leaves (of the vanilla and the mentholated varieties) and honey.

Drydown: The longer it's on, the stronger the leather note becomes. It's hidden in the luscious vanilla/honey scent of the musk and ambergris. There's also a faint smell of incense, just a touch, to add a swirl of smoke. It smells dark, like a very warm room with leather chairs, that's been used for some kind of orgiastic ritual. It's creamy and luscious.

Overall: This is dark and sexy, and certainly gave me faith in musk again - I'd been very wary of musks before because some turned to soap on me, this smells deliciously like dark gritty vanilla with incense and leather. Weirdly I also find it quite comforting, very much like a gentleman's club - yes, with the strip-tease, too. I think it's quite elegantly naughty. Oh, and staying power: after 12 hours, I still have traces of the delicious vanilla scent of black musk. Yum.

Mmmm, this is the sweet pipe tobacco my uncle used to smoke at the holidays. This is delicious soft swirling smoke with just a touch of worn, warm leather. This is what I wanted Hearth 2004 to be, because that scent was a lot stronger and more in-your-face. This one is gently hanging in the air like the aforementioned smoke.

Delicious and comforting.

Hellfire: initially sweet, like honey, but quickly followed by a sharp, alcholic note. Intriguing. On me, it is a lovely leather and brandy with a hint of cigar smoke: altogether a very rich and evocative scent. Not one I am likely to wear however, as my preference tends toward light florals.

Definitely a man's scent in the bottle. In the bottle it was pipe smoke and leather, and a sharp smell of mint. Very nice, and oddly, very refreshing. Once on, I smell like a Junior Mint! I like! Something I'm going to buy a 5mL of for summer days.

This is a frimp I got from a fellow formulite, so I have no idea if this is the revised version offered in the catalogue. Also, I was sure I had reviewed this already, but guess not. :P

In the bottle: chocolatey tobacco. Rich, dark, almost edible, and just plain yummy.

Wet: chocolately tobacco and male sweat? Whoa, I know this is supposed to represent a boys club, but really, this smells like a musty boy's gym locker. :D Oh MY!

Dry down: musty boy's gym locker with tobacco and something musty like books?

30 minutes: the musty boy's gym locker finally went away and I got sweet rich tobacco. Smelled like Herr D in this stage.

Conclusion: I would like this very much if it didn't have that locker room smell, and the final stage just doesn't warrent me wearing it until it does. Not one of my favs, which is a shame, I really wanted a nice tobacco leather scent. The search continues.

Rating on my skin this is a 3.

pipe tobacco is certainly strong, everything else seems to be blended into an almost granular underlay to it. Wow. This is just neat, I certainly like it, but Pipe smoke just smells a little too old fashioned to me. So in the end it's prolly not for me.

I had high hopes for this when I tried Hellfire on - the concept sounded cool, the notes interesting.

Alas... what is that nasty stench I smell? Oh, oh dear, it's the oil. :P

'Fraid my love affair with Hellfire was over before it began. On me, it smelled like stale alcohol (and not even of a particularly appealing kind) and, curiously enough, not pipe tobacco, but like the smoke of one of those big cheap cigars they sell at gas stations around here. After about half an hour of unchanging olfactory assault (did I mention that it was also extraordinarily strong on my skin?), I had to wash it off - it made me feel woozy and slightly nauseated. :D

Don't worry, Frankie-boy, I'll find a nice home for you in the near future...

In the bottle: Burned tobacco and incense, almost like a "clean" scent...

On the skin: This is very manly to me. It's almost sweet with the tang of tobacco, and the musk deepens it. I like the smell -- it's almost a grandfatherly scent for me, but it's not something I'd wear.

Hellfire

Yummy! Pretty much as expected, masculine and warm and cosy. I miss the cherry tobacco described by others but I enjoy the sweet, dry scent of a cosy fire, wood, pipe smoke and perhaps punch.

I got this as a frimp, and I don't think I would have picked it out myself, but I'm sooo glad I have it. I'll definitely be getting more.

In the vial, I smell leather, smoke, something decidedly alcoholic (maybe brandy or cognac), and a whiff of sharp menthol. On my skin, it's pretty much the same, just sexier. It smells like primal urges tightly reined in under a civilized veneer.

I get lots of compliments when I wear this. I also have to say that I seem to drive a bit faster and more recklessly when I have it on....

Hellfire smells like sweat-soaked leather on my skin when initially applied. Whoa! Sexy-sex!

I normally love leather fragrances, so it astounds me that I've had this frimp from the Lab for so long and hadn't even bothered with it until this evening. I've dabbed a little bit on a freckle on my arm, and I'm reminded a lot of Torture King. The leather seems to have dried off a bit, but it still is strong, boosted by the smokiness coming from the tobacco.

From my collection of BPAL Leather Scents, I would say that Hellfire is close to Torture King with a bit of tea-less Severin thrown in. It's more ethereal than Torture King, though not as toned-down as Severin. The leather becomes dry (smoked with tobacco, I guess) as the oil dries, but I view it as a nice variant. Fans of The Bow and Crown of Conquest should like this one, too, barring any note conflicts.

I would consider getting a bottle of this, even though I have a gang of leather fragrances already in my box (hello, Dee and Torture King and Severin and De Sade and Bow...).

Werd.

-doreen

I've been very excited to try this one ever since reading the description of it. In this, I can smell the smoke and leather right away, buoyed by a rich musk that's just as wet as it is dark. It's a very distinctive, sweet smell, but also quite thickly animal. There's incense back in there, but I can't identify it as more definite than "probably Opium."

On, something comes lunging out, sweet and thorny, and I have no idea what that is, but it's divine. The ambergris? The leather is more in the background now, it's more like a chair the scent is lounging in. I definitely smell the tobacco, not quite as fruity as most of the tobacco blends I've tried; it's much more smoky. I think that's the leather. The sweetness is from the musk and the ambergris. Many reviews I have read state that it's a comforting smell, and I can see that. It's not harsh or overtly menacing, but nevertheless, there's something here. . . .

This is a room, recently vacated, where refined men have sat planning a terrible thing. The room is upholstered in leather. A thick carpet covers the floor. Long curtains frame a window that looks out on a moonless night's blackness where the only sign of life is one glowing star low on the horizon. Smoke lingers in the air in feathered layers, along with a trace of perfume risen from someone's naked body. A fire smolders sullenly in the hearth, no more than glowing coals. Empty glasses still fumigate the air with the dregs of a good brandy. The scent of incense is old and a little stale, as though the books crammed onto shelf after shelf are slowly exhaling the odor of vanished incense. The room is warm and almost unbearably close, and thick with the smell of bodies gathered in close cabal. This is not the scent of one man, but of several. They were here, not a minute ago. The chair, this gorgeous leather chair, is still warm. It's really are quite comfortable. Sit down and wait. They won't be gone for long.

Totally dry, the tobacco mellows out to a sweetness much less harshly smoky than it began, and I can see why it feels so comfortable for so many. This is the reading a book in your dad's leather chair kind of comfortable, but this dad is a dad who isn't necessarily a nice guy. As it softens, it is definitely a scent that women could wear; though it seems quite overtly masculine to me, my husband claims it's feminine. This indicates to me that it just smells flat-out sexy. It doesn't have too much throw, but it's strong close-in, and it's very long wearing – even a shower and several handwashings failed to dislodge it.

Overall, it's beautifully constructed: sophisticated, deep, and precise. It's subtly sexy and quite powerfully physical without being overt or lewd in the slightest. This is not a wild, feral scent, untamed and lusty. This is civilized, couth, and utterly patient; traits that pass as polite but scream danger to anyone who knows what they're really dealing with. This is not the corruption of the wilds, but the decadence and decay of the civilized. All the worst that mankind has to offer, dressed up in the best.

Cheers, my lovelies. This one's for you.

In the bottle: There is a sweetness I am getting but mostly it is a very acidic smell. Very much like the acid I would use when etching zinc plates for printmaking. It scratches at my throat.

Wet: Still very acidic on my skin. I can't get anything other than that scent

Dry: Ahh... there it is. Very mellow now. Still that faint smell of acid bath but the cherry pipe tobacco is coming through for me. And I detect a bit of musk now but the pipe tobacco wins out. Wish I knew what ambergis smelled like on its own because I am not sure if I am smelling it in there or not

Overall: I really like this once it dries down. Smells very much like a finely aged leather tobacco pouch. Lovely!

Edited by Eunice_Branca

Wet, this smells like a minty cognac, with a faint hint of leather. It actually stings like alcohol when I put it on, although my skin doesn't get red or anything. Strange. As it dries, the incense note comes out, and then when completely dried the tobacco and ambergris combine to make a strangely chocolate-like scent. Really nice and definitely masculine. Wish my hubby wore colognes.

In the bottle: Smokey and leathery, but there's something else I can't identify, some sort of alcohol.

First on: Leather mostly, with tobacco and still that alcohol smell. Maybe it's the musk playing a trick on me. So far the tobacco hasn't gone all sour on me, and the ambergris hasn't turned, so this might be a first!

Drydown: The tobacco is definitely sour, and the ambergris is faint but did go through a rather stinky phase. It's a good thing I'm not insanely partial to smelling like leather, or I'd be sad.

Overall: Not horrible, but not for me.

Well, I am happy to have tried this. I smell like a sweet pipe smoke now, and I can totally get the leather here, too.

It's reminding me of my mother, who drinks bourbon and smokes cigars. Actually, where this takes me is further back in my lineage, to some ornery boozey male. Oh, yeah, that would be my grandfather. Son of a bitch.

I would like this better, I think, had I not a splitting headache from not drinking enough coffee today. Unfortunately I used to get headaches from smoking tobacco, so everytime I sniff my wrist my brain throbs a bit sharper.

It's funny, I thought I would really love this, but it's just kind of na ja.

All I smell is pipe tobacco. Correction, all I pick out is pipe tobacco.

It didn't seem overly strong, but I can still smell it faintly, sixteen hours later.

Well, I like the scent, but I wouldn't wear it. I don't particularly want to smell like tobacco.

In imp: it's like Perversion (sweet coconut, tonka and leather) with a waft of cigarette smoke (the smell when you inhale - not the sidestream scent) and....Chanel #5 (henceforth referred to as "the cologney note").

Wet: sweet, fresh coconut and tonka.

Drydown: the leathery/tobacco leaf/cologney notes come out to play with the coconut and tonka.

Top notes: tobacco leaf, tonka, coconut and a waft of the cologney note.

Middle notes: sweet leather with the tiniest waft of tobacco leaf. At this stage, if smells almost exactly like Perversion on me.

Base notes: SEXY smoky sweet leather. Again, almost exactly like Perversion. However, Perversion has significantly more throw on me.

Throw: Medium.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Hellfire is by far the best "smoke" blend I've ever smelled. It's still not something I'd find myself ever wearing again, but of all the "smoky" BPALs, this is by far the cleanest and most refined. When I initially apply it, all I smell is smoke and a touch of tobacco. It is not something I'd wear as a perfume normally, yet I can't stop sniffing my wrist because I'm so fascinated by the scent. It sticks close to my skin and doesn't have much throw, however, 10 hours later, the scent is still going strong, although somewhere along the way, it morphed and the smoke scent is gone, and toward the end, the scent of leather comes through -- a deep, plush leather. It's really interesting and while I can't normally wear scents like this and get away with it, I imagine this would smell uber-sexy on just about every man I know. Very nice blend, overall.

Upon application this is slightly sweet, I get the leather and the pipe tobacco, and it's pleasantly musky. It's not sharp at all, I wouldn't describe it as powdery, but it is very smooth.

For me this oozes gentle masculinity and makes me feel all cozy and protected, and at the same time it's very sexy. It's a pity I don't have a man at hand to try this on :P Usually I prefer men which don't wear perfume, but this is one of the rare blends that would cause me to grab him and bury my nose in his neck instead of being a turn-off.

The throw is moderate and the scent does not change very much after application. It lasts a few hours, although I did not really keep track of it anymore after about 3-4 hours of wear.

In the bottle this is rich, smoky pipe tobacco. Smooth and comforting, like a fireplace. Not overly strong, not too dry, not dirty. Almost like a humidor.

On my skin it dries down to the most wonderful vanilla leather pipe tobacco smell ever. It's similar to Hearth without the food, or like Herr Drosselmeyer with more character.

I tried this because I had been looking for something that smelled like that sweet cherry tobacco and this had come up in reviews for other tobacco scents. When I first put it on, I smelled what a couple of others did, mint or stale Doublemint gum. Hmmm, well I am rather tenacious and stubborn and I was not going to accept that or stop there. So, I sniffed my arm every 5 minutes and waited for it to develop and after hour 2, I was finally rewarded. I could finally smell something other than the faded mint, some sweet wood and incense. It has quite a throw, too, and I can smell it wafting around me. It actually is getting stronger and I can now smell everything in the description. It never does smell like cherry pipe tobacco to me and I don't know whether I really want to wait 2 hours to smell something, but it might be a nice layering scent so that it might develop as the other is fading. It was wonderful once it finally arrived.