BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Sloth

Thick, dark, sluggish and heavy with indolence: vetiver over black myrrh.

In the bottle: Dirt & medicine. Another one I remember really liking at BB once it was on, hopefully it'll stay that way.

First on: Mmm...this is very dark & thick, like wading through a hot muggy day. I like vetiver, so I really like this one since it's all vetiver & myrrh. Almost an herbal, but not quite. I get a hint of sweetness, which reminds me of cloves, but there is definitely not cloves in this.

Drydown: This is probably a good scent for when I'm too hyper or awake. Or at work to calm me down. It's gotten even thicker & sluggish, which is fitting. The vetiver has come out more, almost too much, but the myrrh tempers it with just a hint of sweetness.

First sniff: This smells like pure dismal green vetiver in the vial.

Wearing: Murky-weird green blahness. There's almost enough myrrh to cover the vetiver, but... it's just not. I’m rather sad that Sloth isn’t a scent I can wear, because it’s definitely the deadly sin I indulge in most often (though hopefully that’ll change when I move closer to my man :P).

Bottle (Imp): That's different. I have NO idea what it is.

Just On: I dunno what this is, but I kinda like, and I kinda don't know what to make of it.

An hour or two later: Oh! This is myrrh. Okay, I recognize it now that it's warmed up on my skin.

Around 6 hours: I think I like this one, but not as much as say Gluttony, or Wrath.

12 hours: It's pretty much gone now.

Overall: This is nice. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally did.

After reading other reviews: Wow, the vetiver never really came out on me in this one. It was definitely a nice scent, but probably not something I'll hoard.

When wet, I do find this smells quite masculine, but it dries down softer and almost a powerdery scent which I'm thinking is the myrrh. This makes me think of lazy sundays staying in your pj's and just watching tv and eating junkfood. I didn't expect I would like this from the description but I do.

Sloth was one of my favorites when I first got into bpal, but the current version uses different components and it doesn't smell the same at all. Originally, it was heavy on the myrrh and had lots of good, resinous, thick sweetness to it. A really beautiful myrrh note. The drydown had a pleasant, peppery woods to it.

Now Sloth is mostly vetiver, and it's that charred bbq vetiver variety that I hate. Smells like mesquite bbq sauce and bbq smoke. Still a woody, peppery feel in the drydown. Also something that smells like alcohol/nailpolish remover that never burns off.

Like most of my favorite bpals, the 2005 versions are nothing like the 2012+ versions. I find the 2015 version of Sloth to just be.. horrible and unwearable. I wish that the Lab would just discontinue fragrances when they become this different or the components go bad.

Edited by Little Bird

A gracious frimp in a swap, although vetiver seldom likes me, so I am proceeding with caution.

Random side-note: I said to Brian that, unless you had bottles of all 7 Sins together on your dresser, people would have no idea why you had a bottle labeled Sloth--they might think you were trying to smell like an actual sloth, and by all accounts they really stink because they sit there and grow moss, mold, etc. Although we think it would be fun to have a pet sloth and drape it on the furniture. Anyway.

Whew! This is a *thick* scent; my first thought was molasses, for it has a sweetish topnote and the myrrh registers as spice on me. It smells like a cauldron full of thick, black witches' brew (although probably not a brew I would make!). It's not bad, but it is rather masculine--I can see the Old Spice connection. I think I'll try it on Brian.

Dark, warm, and murky...this is the scent of a ritual victim slowly loosing consciousness as the ritual incense drugs her into submission...sedative, glowing, heavy, and, yes, slothful.

A highly underrated blend :P

sloth

at first: the lab included this as an extra and, well, this smells like two things that i really don't like: myrrh and vetiver. it doesn't look good.

on: wow. i don't like this at all. heavy and dark and...not nice. not nice at all.

1.5 hours later: this stuff is really strong. it's just wafting around me. it's still heavy and dark, but with a tinge of sweetness. definitely nicer than when i first put it on.

2 hours later: lighter and not as sweet. ok.

5 hours later: much nicer. heavy and sweet, but not something i could see myself reaching for often.

overall: this seemed to make my afternoon drag big time. the scent itself is ok on me eventually, but not nice at all at first. not one for me.

Normally I really dislike vetiver blends, but this one's not bad. The black myrrh is the top note on me, and it's thick and languid and a bit on the spicey side, there's definitely a bit of a kick there. I do think this embodies Sloth quite well, it's heavy and lazy and heady. Nice, but probably not quite for me.

sloth.jpg

Goes on very smoky and reminds me of Laudanum, medicine-like. I thought that was a bit perky for a scent named "Sloth" but that was just the first volley.

The smoke takes a while to clear out as the blend dries down, but what lingers is an almost carnation-like smell which is pretty strong and long lasting. I would say this is a very nice blend despite its name. Somehow I don't associate the drydown scent with Sloth and it's more unpleasant aspects, it's a pretty nice blend overall. I don't think it's plowing new ground in terms of its unique aspect, but it's very good and I would recommend it for all the folks who like heavy scents with long staying power and pretty spicy florals.

I was a little scared to try this one, based on description alone... vetiver and I often don't get along, as it has a tendency to make me smell like motor oil, while I prefer not to. :P

In the imp: Yep, that's the simultaneously sweet and bitter, somewhat acrid smell of vetiver. This might not be pretty.

On: Aaahhh... now I see where the slow, heavy molasses associations come in! The myrrh sweetens this up considerably, and the vetiver just sort of slouches around quietly under the surface. It doesn't smell quite right on me, but it's still much better than I expected. There's a sweetness, a smokiness, and gritty/earthy feel to it... Sloth is the smell of hanging around at my favorite industrial club, with it's grimy floors, smoke-filled air, sipping a B-52-and-coffee when I'm just too lazy to walk home.

In the vial: Whoa, that's strong. I'm not sure if it's the vetiver or black myrrh that smells so fierce and angry, or if it's simply a mix of both. I'm not familiar enough with these notes to be able to distinguish them individually. This is not the sluggish scent of sloth, this is full of panic and rage.

Wet: Is this ever sharp—enough to clear your sinuses and then some! Within seconds, the scent sweetens oh so slightly, so that it doesn't seem all that angry anymore. A few seconds after that, a little spice starts to poke its head out of the melee.

Dry: Now I can see where the sluggish part comes in, as the scent seems to have slowed down, if that makes sense. I don't feel that rush of panic in this anymore. However, this still is nowhere near to what I would have expected sloth to smell like. The sharp strength of the blend has eased up, though it's still quite hot and fiery. It reminds me a bit of Brimstone, though sweeter and spicier. The more I sniff it, the more I'm liking it, but I'm still not sure that this is for me.

An hour later: It gets deeper, darker, and more slothlike as time wears on. After an hour or two it's smelling really great!

Overall: I'm going to keep this. It's dark and musky in a way wholly unlike my other dark and musky blends, so it's a nice addition to my collection. The only downfall is that I have to wait so long for it to become the scent I want it to be.

This smells like a furry rootbeer. A musky, sweaty, hairy rootbeer float.

Which, surprisingly, is not at all unpleasant. I got this as a frimp and thought "uh oh, vetiver". But it's actually a nice, strong spicy alternative to typical musk blends.

Up close, like when I really stick my nose to my arm, it is a bit stinky.. like a smarmy man with a hairy back. But from afar, it wafts a lovely boozy, almost licorice musk.

I like it. I just may keep it! Hah!

A freebie from the Lab.

A very strong, dark myrrh spiked with tons of vetiver. I kind of expected this to go bad on me, and true to form, it did. Le sigh. I think people who like the heavy scents will like this one, but it's really really not me.

I'm a huge fan of resinous scents, so it was pretty much guaranteed that I'd like this.

It's a bit citrusy on me when it first goes on, but then it dries down to a lush, powdery scent with hints of cola and herbs.

Sloth isn't a sexy scent, but it's a good choice for a day of lounging around and painting your toenails. :>

Sloth:

In the bottle: Smells... woody. If I concentrate, I can just barely get the hint of the vetiver.

Wet: Doesn't really smell like anything. Maybe the aftersmell of soap, like right after you walk out of the shower.

Drydown: mleh. woody/spicy. Makes my eyes water.

Conclusion: Sell imp

In the imp, thick & heavy. It goes on a bit lighter with a hint of sweetness from the myrrh, which strengthens a tad upon drydown & tempers the vetiver.

A beautiful, very rich blend. The langour one feels after a good tumble in the sack :P

My first BPAL. This imp came in a collection I got from Olympia301, and what a wonderful introduction.

Preconceptions: This will either be amazing, or terrible. There won't be middle ground. I have an affinity for some masculine scents, and this one sounds as if it will go that direction.

Sniff: The myrrh is strong and sweet. I can feel the vetiver more than smell it. It's so heavy, I'm not sure what I think.

Skin: Wet and on the inside of my elbow, the vetiver comes over the myrrh. Hard mahogany altar, polished to a shine. I'm so *relieved* that I'm not someone who vetiver hates, but until now I don't think I could have told you what it smelled like. It's not hard to tell it apart from the myrrh at all, though.

Half-hour: I keep sniffing. Hard to wait 30 minutes. The two notes are balancing themselves now. I can smell both scents clearly. It's getting a little sweeter, too. I really like this, and I think I'd enjoy smelling it up close on a man.

One hour: The spice rolls over me: old Europe, Hungary, slow dancing in burgundy velvet. There's a bit of powder now, sort of dusky, not baby powderish. The longer it's on, the more feminine it feels. Not so sure about a man wearing this anymore.

Six hours: The scent is still there, but it's faint. The notes have melted into each other and me. They've faded into something…faintly chocolate?? Slow and indolent are good words for this oil -- it's busy, but seriously takes its time.

This one's a keeper, though I'm not sure I would wear it for everyday. It's a selfish scent, drawing me inward rather than outward. There's a lot of romance here, but it's not for a crowd or a club. An intimate french restaurant, perhaps. A gothic castle, a dark and stormy mountainside.

That's it! This is Wuthering Heights.

Edited by Chris

I probably never would have even tried this if I read the ingredients first. I hate myrrh.

But I do like vetiver. And this revolts me less than I might have otherwise expected. It's richly resiny and strong.

It's still myrrh, though, so it still smells kind of nasty to me, even well-blended with vetiver. It's a good interpretation of the sin-- if "slow and thick" had a smell, this would definitely be it. But this is not for me.

With two of the heaviest hitters of the base note world, vetiver and black myrrh, I feel kind of like I am watching a sumo wrestling match on my wrist. Will vetiver go for world domnation again, or will myrrh win out this time? It makes me tired just to sit on the sidelines, so the name is perfect. And Beth blends so well that this match comes to a draw.

I've gotten two imps as freebies from the Lab.

There is a sharp note when I sniff it in the bottle that put me off the first time I opened the imp.

Once I put it on, that sharpness mercifully goes away. There's a sweet undertone that doesn't get cloying.

Some folks upthread have used this as a nighttime scent; that might be worth a try for me.

I'll probably hang on to one of the imps, but it's not big-bottle worthy for me.

Sloth

Post number 1000! I thought I'd better mark this milestone with what brought me to the forums in the first place, the reviews!

A generous gimp from Emu Nymph (:D) Hey lady! This was wishlisted because of the myrrh. Vetiver and I are passing acquaintances. We nod and smile, but I don't think we really know eachother yet.

In the bottle: sharp, heavy, green verging on dried up dead brownblack. A little musty.

Wet/drydown: there's something here that evokes Hellfire, Brimstone, and Danse Macabre. Lacking my handy dandy spreadsheet it's a tossup between the two sumo wrestlers (urraca, I love your well worded review!).

The darkish color of the oil suggests a light hand on application and I'm glad I followed that instinct because whoa is this is strong one.

Later: four hours later, and this has stayed very true to the wet stage. Definitely not an everyday scent, but it is extremely compelling to me (much in the way the aforementioned blends are as well). This is great for my androgynous days.

As far as being Slothlike is concerned... well I have been at work for four hours now and have spent the embarrassing majority on here. :P

In the bottle - Myrrh, strong dark and slightly nutty.

Wet on me - Dry and slightly more spicy

Dry on me - The vetiver comes to the fore and is the dominant scent. It's slightly sweeter than in some other blends, but still just vetiver.

I don't think I'm into the Myrrh. I'm pretty sure I'm ok with Vetiver. I'll have to keep testing to find out. :P

In bottle: heavy oily sluggy sharp

On - Wet: black licorish

It definitely lives up to it's description!

Sloth

In the imp: a smoky, gritty, dark, slightly sweet vetiver-myrrh blend.

Wet on skin: the greenish darkness of vetiver coupled with the resinous scent of myrrh.

Dry on skin: not bad! I like vetiver, though it has the tendency to amp on my skin. in here, that's expected, it's a main component…but I really like the myrrh in this. It's gorgeous-dark, resinous, slightly sweet, sticky and smoky, like church incense…it adds another dimension to the dirty, gritty, darkly green intensity of vetiver. This is a very earthy, deep scent.

After a while: this stays very consistent. It doesn't want to morph much...the myrrh and vetiver go together really well, making for a nice deep dark scent, sweet and with the ashy smell of vetiver simmering away over the resinous coating of myrrh. I quite like this.

The myrrh sweetens nicely over time. It reminds me of the myrrh in Omen, which was my favourite part of that scent.

Verdict: this was a lot nicer than I expected. It reminds me of Omen, but with vetiver instead of patchouli, and with the same myrrh note. The two notes combine very nicely in this, the murky, gritty, ashy scent of vetiver mingling with the sweet, sticky, resinous myrrh to create a dark, deep, lazy scent which, despite it's murkiness, is very pleasant. it's not one for a big bottle but I'm keeping the imp-I think this will be nice for layering.