BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Frimp from the Lab! Puddin put up a Luper teaser that appeared to be Lust Smooch, so I figure I had better try this now!

Wet: Lots of red musk. The patchouli is a faint undercurrent. As it warms on my skin I'm detecting hints of Myrrh. I love all three of those notes, and they're playing really nicely together so far. Sexay!

Dry: The patchouli really dominates when this is dry. I do like it, but I have other patchouli scents I like better. That being said, I will jump all over this as a Smooch, because when it's wet and I can smell the musk and Myrrh as well as the Patch, it's divine!

The patchouli really gives this one a bit of a "bite". A sweet mixture that kind of makes me hungry.
Doesn't stick around on my skin for a long time, dies down after about an hour?

The red musk is most obvious when wet, but later my skin amps up the myhrr and I'm left with almost only that. Not for me, but quite lovely. ;)

I'm not expecting much from this freebie. I haven't liked the lab's red musk so far, and patchouli is kind of risky. I love ylang ylang, but it's strong and needs care. So far I've only liked it when it's supporting something else, whereas this looks like a top- and heart-note solo for it.

Wand: Mostly ylang ylang and patchouli. The red musk isn't standing out to me here.

Wet: Ylang ylang. At first this isn't much different from the ylang ylang oil I have at home, save for the earthy weight of patchouli behind it. I get a little of the burnt, spicy, cherry smell of the red musk after a few minutes, and myrrh with it. I wonder if there's also a wee dot of frankincense in this. I'm getting some of the dry, gritty texture I usually get from frank.

Dry: Red musk takes the stage in all its stinky glory. Patchouli keeps trying to body-slam the crowd. I want to quietly exit out the back.

Yeah, a me-repellent. It'll work for someone!

In the imp: patchouli and ylang ylang.

Wet: the red musk trickles in over the patchouli.

Dry: The patchouli, myrrh, and red musk blend together really nicely. Very smooth. Some heady ylang ylang floats over top. A very sexy, slightly dirty blend.

I never thought a scent with patchouli in the notes would get me so hard, but holy cow. Ylang ylang is a love it or hate it note for me, but its intense sweetness pairs really well with the dark sexy myrrh and patchouli. People weren't kidding when they said this one was sexy as hell. It's dirty headshop for sure, and I don't know if I'll ever wear it, but it's so rich and interesting I'm hanging onto my imp.

This starts out so well, but the ylang goes weird on me and just barely misses the mark. The base of this is dark and dirty, with patch, myrrh, and musk present equally. It becomes more syrupy as it warms to my skin, darkly sweet and almost edible. The ylang also starts off well, a sweet yellow floral on top of the other notes, but over time goes cooler and almost soapy. That tone doesn't mesh well with the rest, and I can't help but think that if it were just about any other flower this could be a favorite for me.

A frimp from the lab. I'm wary of scents with patchouli in it, but I will try it for science!

In the imp:
Smoky. I'm reminded of Sin, but this has a little more depth.

On me, wet:
. . . Sin with cola? o.O I'm not familiar enough with myrrh, red musk, or ylang ylang to know which of these scents is reading as "cola" to my unsophisticated palate (or if it's the combination of the three, or if I just have weird skin chemistry), but that's what this smells like to me. Interesting, but not exactly sexy.

On me, dry:
Yep. If Sin smells like "me after I've been hanging out in a heavy smoker's house for a while," Lust is "me after I've been hanging out in a heavy smoker's house for a while and they gave me some soda."

Verdict:
A little nicer than Sin, but still not for me. This is a swapper. Will probably remain open to other scents with some of Lust's non-patchouli notes in it, though.

This one had about a 50/50 chance of working. Red musk and ylang ylang usually work for me and patchouli and myrrh are temperamental. When it's wet, it's mostly red musk with a bit of patch behind it. It's not overwhelming for me, just a little gritty. It's mostly a sweet red musk. It dries down to be less sweet for sure. I do enjoy this scent, but it like other red musk heavy scents better.

In the imp: Exactly as described. The red musk is dominant, but I'm also getting some sexy-sultry florals, myrrh (more resinous than incense smoke-y), and the patch is fruity rather than gritty.

Wet: Still red musk-dominant and very sweet, but almost a cherry-like or boozy sweetness. The myrrh is drier and more incense-like, and the ylang ylang also takes a big step forward. I can definitely see the Sin comparison; it also reminds me of scents like Red Lantern, Desire, or Scherezade.

Dry: A classic BPAL sultry-sexy scent, mainly red musk and patch. That odd, too-sweet, cherry-boozy sweetness has faded, leaving it a lot subtler and more complex. I still get the occasional whiff of florals or resinous myrrh, but mainly it's the red musk and patch all the way home.

On me Lust turns into sickly sweet red musk. I guess that's the ylang ylang? No patch in evidence nor any detectable myrrh. I suspect they may emerge in an hour or two, but I may not let this go on that long. I can see how this would be great on someone who doesn't have my problematic relationship with red musk, but Lust is not for me.