BPAL Madness!

Energy, vigor, verve, strength, courage, balls.

ITB: Orange and ginger - a lovely "pick-me-up" scent.

On: The same, a fresh, zingy orange zest. Very nice.

Dry: This was incredibly consistent on me from bottle, wet, and dry. It lasted a good long while, and even my hubby liked it - which is saying something! I was rather expecting this to be more of a room scent, but it's lovely to wear as well, whenever I need a bit of a lift. This is a definite big bottle scent for me!

Edited by Wench457

I just purchased a decant from the fabulously generous Wench 457, and it arrived just in time for my second week of third year law school exams (not something to mess around with!). I was eager to try this one, since I need all the energy I can get this time of year.

In the bottle this is a citrus lover's heaven... pure orangey-grapefruit sunshine in a bottle!

On, the top note stays sunny, but there's a basenote that I have to agree... smells a bit like corn tortilla, even though i keep telling myself it's herbal. :P Even though it's not my favorite part of Moxie, I have to admit the base note does wonders for "hooking" that light citrus note down, where otherwise it would evaporate from my skin in a snap.

The base note did have me a little worried for a bit, but it's growing on me as I continue to sniff. This is the first scent that had me thinking "10 mL for sure!"

Now to go beg my family for X-mas donations to fuel the addiction...

Moxie

Tried this yesterday on a strand of my fringe and on neck.

Citrussy, yes. First thought was Grapefruit. But then my sinuses adapted and I sort of concluded that what I was smelling was mainly Neroli. Strong Neroli. Bittersweet strong Neroli, layered over some unidentifiable herbal base. I'm astonished no one else has mentioned Neroli so far. Somebody saw a connection to Succubus, though.

Maybe there are grapefruit or tangerines in here as well, maybe some citrus-scented herbs, too. I didn't recognize anything specific other than Neroli but there were more components in my perception, too, with probably other citrus notes involved.

Moxie lasted long in my hair, the spot on my neck I didn't quite notice later on. It didn't change much and stayed a creamy, slightly bitter citrus-alike with those herbs.

As for the effects: On my way to uni I had the feeling that I was reacting less sensitive to passers by giving me the strange look. It was like not being trapped by having looked at them once. Like a little more self-assured and self-sufficient than usual.

Later on, I kept being quite nervous throughout the day, biting my nails in class, not being able to sit quiet for a long time. I felt a little bit impatient with some rather slow people, too, and stood up when that girl kept interrupting me again and again. I usually try not to care, because it's no use really, natural born controlfreak that one, christian with a missionary drive. Yesterday, however, I couldn't take it and told her firmly that I hadn't quite finished my sentence. She immediately drew back and looked like a puppy that you've been angry with, but didn't say a word for..well... 5 minutes or so. :P

So, there was a certain kind of energy and speed to it, but maybe I chose the wrong situation and Moxie should rather be worn to a party or maybe when you are working with your hands or anything, not when going to class. This nervosity isn't really helpful there.

Also, I'm really a rather speedy and quick thinking person naturally and maybe should go for the tranqui-blends instead of the upper ones.

Whoa. Wake up and smell the moxie! Sinus-clearing citrus scents and a touch of spice underneath it. This is gorgeous and a definite pick me up that's great for Friday mornings when I just can't drag myself out of bed to deal with the teenagers. Totally wonderful!

Moxie! How could I not be excited about trying this scent? Love-love-love! the name.

I was a bit uncertain about how Moxie was going to smell on my skin, because it smelled vaguely bitter in the imp. When I put it on, it was really invigorating. Lots of orange zest smell; not so much pure orange (though I don't know if that's generally true for orangey scented things). Zest is always a little bitter-smelling to me, but something in this blend really toned it down and made it an amazingly pleasant scent. Maybe it was skin chemistry, but I'm thinking it's a note I just don't distinguish yet.

It didn't have a great throw, which the SO appreciates, but I was a little disappointed about- I may have to apply it a bit more liberally. It also seemed to fade earlier than I would've liked, but again, the application may have something to do with that.

Verdict: I like it! I also feel like it is true to the name.

I get a very strong ginger orange scent both on the bottle and as soon as it hits my skin. After about a half hour, the orange is still there bit the ginger has died down into something herbalish. After 3 hours, the scent is almost completely workn off, though there is a little leftover orange floating around. I kind of like it - it gave me energy when I put it on and I really had none this morning. I do wish it had lasted a little longer but that's my only gripe - other than this is what I wish my house could smell like all the time.

Oh my gosh, you guys! I love this so much!

I'm sorry this is so short, but this is from my notes taken way long ago in October at the Chicago Meetup. But any little bit helps?

gingery, lemony, clementine, awesome! must buy!

As to its purported effect, citrus-ginger is definitely a mood-lifter for me. And when I'm not depressed, I'm definitely a ballsy girl.

incidentally, my bottle should be here any day, and I'll expand.

Moxie makes me think of someone pouring fresh marmalade into a jar.

It's a gorgeous bubbly orange blossomy scent with a little ginger behind all the citrus. It makes me feel very lively, if not totally moxious.

Love it!

Oh my god. You know the Whoosh shower jelly that LUSH sells? This is that, in perfume form, at least to my nose. On me, it's grapefruit and oranges and BRIGHT, a bright yellow-orange scent. A little while into wearing it, there's something grounding it, a little green, but it blends with the citrus perfectly. Exactly as advertised: energy in a tiny 5ml bottle.

Only downside: not a lot of staying power. It's completely gone a few hours after application. But it's a good kick-start. Yum.

Wow, this was odd. I've had a decanted imp of Moxie, bought from a forumite, for about two months. I grabbed it yesterday and applied a bit to one hand. In the imp, it's gorgeous - slightly bitter citrus with warm ginger (I think). Dry, it turns to corn tortilla. I suppose it's nice, but not what I was after.

The good news is that, as an aromatherapy blend, Moxie really did work on me as intended.

The bad news is that my skin chemistry makes it smell funny. :P

It smells very orange in the bottle, with hints of ginger and herbs. On me, it smelled kind of like a wet sponge with orange juice. My skin doesn't really like most citrus scents and prefers the sweet, and Moxie is not sweet.

But I wore it to a class I had today where there was a LOT of group work and intense interactions with other people, aka INFP Hell. And Moxie really did work in giving me energy and courage to put up with it. However, next time, unless I absolutely have to take it with me, it's going in a scent locket or oil burner.

It starts out with the scent of bitter oranges, but the citrus burns off much too soon, leaving a woody kind of smell. I didn't care for it. It was gone in a couple hours, and I can't say I noticed much in the way of added moxie to my demeanor.

Moxie

In the imp: orange, ginger and…something dark and dirty. Maybe patchouli or leather?

Wet on skin: orange!!! But there's a hint of something rubbery there, and ginger. An odd, yet very zingy scent.

Dry on skin: what the? I get orange here, wonderful, freshly squeezed, bright, sunny orange. But I also get…asphalt and rubber. Yup, this smells of roads. It's tarmac, tyres, and orange with a hint of ginger. Now that is bizarre. At times, the asphalt note smells like rubber and leather, a real 'shoe' scent, and I get the feel that the scent is giving you a kick up the backside with a hard, rubber soled leather boot scented with orange which seems like an appropriate image for the scent! But at other times it makes me think of freshly laid asphalt covered roads in summer, with the scent of burning rubber and 'new car smell', and orange juice that has been spilt on it. Not something I really want to smell like.

After a while: unfortunately the orange note fades fast and the scent left behind is asphalt and ginger and hints of rubber. This one dislikes me.

Verdict: there are times when I hate my skin chemistry so much. I really wanted to love this scent, I was hoping it would be the energy boosting scent I was looking for…but unfortunately it hated me. I adore the orange note this scent has, bright, zesty, sunny and tangy, like real squeezed orange juice. I also got some ginger. But there was something in here that turned to…asphalt. And rubber. And that 'new car smell'. On me, Moxie was the smell of a newly laid tarmac road in summer with a new car driving over it, squashing oranges against the hot asphalt against it's rubber tyres. Not a very nice smell at all with my skin. It's a shame really…oh well, I can swap/sell my decant. :P

In the bottle: Very ripe oranges.

On my skin: Oranges and ginger. This is true to it's name- something I'd wear on the mornings I don't want to get out of bed.

In the bottle: Pure citrus. I think there's lemon, but certainly not just that. It smells like lemon pips, actually, with a bitter side to it.

Wet: Very much the same as in the bottle. It's citrusy, yellow and a bit green.

Drydown: This doesn't morph much, and it really makes me think of an aromatherapy oil. It smells strongly of citrus, and also a bit green and slightly waxy, a bit like... glycerine soap. I think that there's orange in this as well as lemon, it's extremely zesty. There's also a touch of herbiness, possibly citronella and... I wonder if there isn't some honey.

Overall: Well, it's full of energy, I'll grant it that! Unfortunately I don't really like the drydown. I thik it's citronella, and it smells a bit sickly. I think that it does give you energy, but for me it would probably work better in an oil burner, because on my skin all I get is citronella and it's not very nice. Pity.

i'm on the fence about moxie. i love the theory, and i like the way it smells in the bottle, but it becomes a kind of baby powder orange juice on my skin. possibly as a result of this scent transformation, i don't get a lot of moxie when i wear it. but i keep trying!

In Bottle: Bright citrus and herbs

On Skin: This smells like a freshly peeled orange (or yuzu), more so the peel than the fruit, with some type of fresh herb sprinkled on it. This scent wakes you up with a nice hearty slap! WOW! The description suits it perfectly. This scent just make me feel as energetic as any scent can. There is also a slightly sweet note in the back ground, faint but enough to mellow the tartness of the scent a bit… vanilla maybe? There is also a sweet spice, people have suggested ginger and I’d have to agree… especially after just smelling the Red Ginger SN… it has that slightly dirty earthy spice to it. Overall this scent has a strong throw and long lasting power. It’s a scent I’d use for aromatherapy to get myself going, rather than wear as a perfume since it is so intense.

This is a very strong citrus scent. But as it dried, it became... nuttier? Not really sure how to describe it. It's not really a citrus herb, it's more like a citrus nut or a citrus wood.

I'm not feeling any ballsier just yet, but I'll update if there are any changes. :P

This is predominantly fresh and sweet, with a pure soap drydown.

I can't place any of the notes in this one; it just sort of melds into a soapy-sweet-citrusy perfume.

In the vial: I'm AWAKE now! :P

On the skin: Orange, ginger, probably some lemon and lime, some sugary type of sweetness... it's like almost Tang for me. Wild!

I will be keeping this around for those mornings when I just can't wake up enough and need a swift kick to the butt. Ooo love this!

bottle:

musky, bright

wet:

a little citrus, musky

dry:

same really. Not bad, but muskier than I prefer.

overall:

nice, but not really my thing. I would have loved more orange and less musk!

rating: 6/10

Panacea Elixir V: Moxie - This one is worth every dime. Moxie is "ZING!!!" in a bottle. Full of wake-me-up and pick-me-up qualities, this is one bottle I want to take a sniff of every morning the moment I get out of bed. It'll wake me right up, clear my head instantly, and give me all the verve I need to get going. It's an energy elixir, most definitely. It's incredibly strong with super-duper throw and you only need just the tiniest touch or you're going to knock over everyone who comes within 10 feet of you. This is in-your-face tangerine (peel and all) mixed with an incredibly wearable ginger (which I don't usually like, but works very very well with the tangerine). It's more of a bitter citrus than juicy and sweet -- this is no "creamsicle orange" scent. There seem to also be some spices floating around underneath the predominant notes, but I can't tell what they are -- white pepper and clove, perhaps? This is the best citrus blend I have ever encountered (and that's saying a lot because citrus blends tend to be among my favorites and I've tried a lot!). I'm buying a bottle of this when I place my next order with the Lab...which is very soon!

This is The One. My old friend Moxie :P

I'd been neglecting him, first when I became enamored with Fruit Moon, then TAL's Energy, and even dabbled a bit with a pink grapefruit/cypress pick-me-up blend from Nature's Gift. But I've come back to Moxie, because as both a room scent and a perfume, this is the quintessential bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed blend.

On me, it's sharp, tart grapefruit and sweet bitter orange. I'd be shocked if there's actually any ginger in here, since my skin does bad, bad things to ginger and I'm not getting any of that. If anything, this eventually goes a bit soapy on me. I don't mind.

Nothing lifts my mood and gives me a little zing like this one. Energy does a good job of recharging me, but it's nice to be able to just slather something on without worrying about focus or intent. Moxie is pure aromatherapy, and very well done.

Edited by Inanna9

This decant is circulating as part of the General Catalog Swap.

Preconceptions: cannot WAIT to try this, especially after all the Josie-related hubbub.

Wet: Citrus with undercurrents of Aveda Shampure.

Drying: What? Aveda Shampure.

I suspect that this should be a room scent only and not used on skin. Not what I expected.