BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Unseelie

The wicked, malicious dark side of the Court of Faerie, Unseelie literally translates to ‘Unholy’. The Unseelie Court is ruled by Titania’s corrupted twin sister, the Queen of Air and Darkness. The Court rides the nighttime winds spreading chaos and miscief; woe be to any mortal that crosses its path. A misty, otherworldly scent laced with ethereal florals, crushed herbs and soft, dew-covered grasses.

In the bottle:
Herbally, soft, and....do I smell lime?? There's something slightly citrusy smelling there....

On me:
This is much more...feminine and floral than I'd normally wear. But the way these scents merge with one another, it doesn't come off as a floral really, and I actually quite like it. A little powdery smelling on me, but not so much so that it ruins it. The longer it's on, the less floral I'm getting, and the more herbally I'm smelling.

Final note:
Someone above described this as a "juicy floral" and I think something along the lines of that, or rather "juicy herbal" is how I'd describe it. It's very soft and slightly musky even, but nice. I swear I could smell lime in there at first, but as this dries more, there's less hint of that smell.

I so thought that I would fall in love with this one, dew-covered grasses and crushed herbs <3. Unfortunately, this is another BPAL that just turns into that awful baby powder smell on my skin. I left this one on for about 5 hours, hoping that any other note would come out, but the baby powder smell just kept getting stronger and stronger. So... while I hate the scent... this one has great staying power. :P

This one didn't go so well for me. In the vial I smell some citrus notes, and forgive me, the slightest bit of... off bug spray. On my skin all I could smell was off bug spray. Obviously, I'm not keeping this one.

Sadly, I recieved my imp in the mail a few days before Unseelie was D/C, else I would have a very large bottle of it.

In the bottle: small soft flowers and greenery. I wouldn't say the "green" was herbal, it is more like a lots of green things, flowers, grass, weeds, bushes growing in one spot.

Skin: Wet. Still a very green scent, less flowery.

Skin: Dry. Dry, Unseelie on my skin is almost exclusively musk and amber. It reminds me of Haunted a lot. On many people, this is a powdery smell, but on me it is lovely, almost a second skin. Sadly, i love it.

Will make a good perfume spray, making the most out of the imp I have.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Perfumey!

In the imp/bottle: In the imp, this reminds me of an Avon perfume the mother of one of my friends used to wear. Very perfumey, but not bad.

On skin, wet: Vanilla? Something very like vanilla, and smooth. Floral as well, but not strongly.

On skin, dry: Synthetic, vanilla-floral-herbal perfume. Plastic and cheap, with a baby-powder base. Feminine, but almost dramatically so.

Conclusion: This started out well enough (Vanilla!), but it dried down into something odd, cheap, plastic and fake. Weird skin.

Edited by Aredhel

Bottle (Imp): Baby powder!

Just On: Herby baby powder.

An hour or two later: Still pretty powdery. Just a hint of herbs.

Around 6 hours: Very much baby powder scented, and not much else. I like that, though, so I'm not complaining.

12 hours: The last bits of baby powder (but a really nice smelling baby powder) now.

Overall: This just stayed powdery all the way through, and smelled much like baby powder most of the time. It makes me nostalgic for the days when I had babies. And also for when I used to go bowling and use a lot of baby powder.

After reading other reviews: Obviously the crushed herbs are pretty much everything that my skin brought out. I'm liking this one, and would certainly buy it if I had the chance. I know a lot of folks don't care for the baby powder scents, but I like them.

Oh, how I love this scent! I'll be lurking on eBay and the swap board, trying to find some of this. I should have ordered last year when I had the chance.

On me, this is a lovely, elegant, yet comforting scent. I definitely get a "baby powder"-y feel, but I like powdery scents, so this is a good thing. It's more complex than just pure baby powder, though. I detect amber, a very light citrus note (bergamot?), a light floral blend. This actually brings to mind classic French perfumery -- this fragrance is almost like a blend of Guerlain's Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue. Fascinating and complex. Ethereal.

Will the real Unseelie please stand up?

I have a 5 ML and two imps of Unseelie, and I'm getting two distinctly different scents.

The imps are what I expected - a dark yet ethereal floral, light and not too sweet. There's a musky/powdery note that reminds me of Noir (doesn't smell like it, but there's a similar "feel").

The 5 ML is an earthy scent with a bit of floral - sweet, but loamy. As "dirt" scents go, it's not bad - but I'm pretty averse to smelling like soil. I'm wondering if it's associated with aging. I'm not sure how old my 5 ML is, as I got it off ebay, but getting rid of the old reducer cap has toned down the sour earthy smell I got when sniffing the bottle.

That, or there was just considerable difference between batches. Or perhaps what I won off of ebay wasn't Unseelie at all. Sadly, I'm leaning towards that last answer, which really irks me. :P

Unseelie

In the imp: OMFG! This is a beautiful, beautiful scent, reminiscent of a sophisticated perfume I once smelt (or maybe one from Madini? It has that exotic feel to it) I smell Egyptian/Tunisian amber in here, and soft, white musky florals.

Wet on skin: amber! I know it’s not listed in the notes but seriously, that’s what I get in here…amber and gentle white flowers.

Dry: I can’t get over how wonderful this scent is. I get a strong amber component layered with soft white petals of floral notes I can’t identify, but I love. I think there may be white musk in here too. It’s such an exotic scent, spellbinding and seductive, pale and soft musky flowers but with warm, golden, glowing undertones of amber. I don’t get any herbs or grass in here whatsoever and a part of me wonders if I actually have the right scent, as it doesn’t fit the description. It also reminds me of another amber based BPAL scent-probably Brisingamen…I really hope this isn’t Brisingamen I have in an Unseelie decant, but it does smell paler and wispier than that scent and a few other reviews mention amber so maybe my nose ain't crazy!

After a while: still amber, but the soft musky white florals also smooth out and become nicely balanced with the amber. It’s almost powdery or downy soft, gentle and pale; it makes me think of a golden sunrise through soft white mist. It’s still a breathtaking scent. I still don’t get any grass or herbs, but I don’t mind.

After a few hours, when the scent is just fading away, I’m left with a light/white musk scent with hints of amber remaining.

Verdict: why on earth did this get discontinued? I see why others say 'generic perfume' but to me this isn't the scent of crass commercial perfume, this is a scent that replicates good quality, sophisticated perfume and blends everything so well. The scent I get here is not of green grasses and herbs, I get the ethereal flowers-but they are draped in golden, luminous amber and soft white musk! The scent is beautiful, sultry and surprisingly warm and exotic; it is alluring and bewitching, yet also pale and delicate and soft. the scent is ethereal, pale and otherworldly, indeed, but a golden warmth lies underneath…I am captivated by yet another fairy-themed scent from the Lab (pretty much all the fairy fragrances work so well on me), and I hope that this gets resurrected some day, even as an LE! *begs and pleads*

I had to test this three times before I could make up my mind about it.

Primarily it smells like really soft baby powder, but this isn't a bad thing. It's ever-so-gently floral, bringing to mind images of delicate buds just starting to open, and there's a lovely sweetness in the background.

This is the only floral scent I can wear without getting a headache, and it's so soft and pretty that it's a keeper for sure.

In the vial and wet on my skin - WHOA! Very heavy perfume. It smells just like al older heavy perfume that my mom used to wear or that I wore as a teenager....

As Unseelie dries down, the notes soften and I am able to pin them down a bit. Aquatic florals and herbs with just a hint of pure grass.

Completely dried down and now the heavy perfume has all but faded. I am left with a visual of walking in some kind of garden at night. The grass, unusual florals, herbs and dew covered grass all under a full moon with soft summer breezes wafting all the different notes around.

My conclusion? I think the scent description is perfect - "A misty otherwordly scent" The imagery with Unseelie for me is incredible - It is floral but also a bit bitter from the herbs leading me to think of someone who once walked the night gardens with their love and then by some twist of fate, walks the gardens alone with the bittersweet memories. Just beautiful! Throw is perfect, the wear is fantastic. This is an all around favorite for me. I am wishing for a 5 ml.!

This didn't morph at all from the imp ear to my skin. To me, it's the lighter, brighter, happier little sister of Wings of Azrael. This is a sparkly, light floral with a tinge of green (probably the grass?). It's very pretty and complex and reminds me of something my mother wears. I want to say Madame Rochas, but I could be wrong. I can see myself wearing this, but it suits my sister more (did you guess? She's my lighter, brighter, happier little sister). Yeah, I can totally picture this on her.

The one drawback is that it doesn't last as long as I'd like. I couldn't smell it on my wrist at all after about an hour. I'd have to really pile it on, but that's not a good thing, as this is now discontinued.

Unseelie - When I was a pre-teen, I loved wearing Love's Baby Soft. All these years, I've wondered where it went. Well, apparently it grew up and became Unseelie! Unseelie is totally the all-grown-up-now version of Love's Baby Soft. It's soft, lightly sweet and floral (orange blossom and a touch of violet, perhaps?), and very powdery. There's also a hint of musk underneath the powder. Initially, I really like the scent and the light veil of fragrance with which even the tiniest bit surrounds me. I can't apply too much or it definitely gets overwhelmingly strong very quickly. While the scent is lovely when letting it waft around my body, when I sniff my skin up close, I get the distinct scent and after-scent of cat butt. It's faint, but it permeates the rest of the scent. I am wondering if the musk in the blend is perhaps civet since some people have problems with civet (although I never have before). Either way, I don't know if I can keep wearing this. While the powdery-floral softness is gorgeous, I am really self-conscious about the cat-butt scent this oil carries with it, even though it's faint and sticks close to my skin. After the oil has sat on my skin for a couple of hours, both the sweet, floral, powdery scent and the cat-butt scent disappear, and in their place is the scent of mixed herbs and men's cologne. It's very masculine but light at this point. I should probably try to swap this for something I'll like better and not be self-conscious about. I still smell it faintly at the 4.5 hour point, but it has ceased to have any throw at this point and sticks very close to the skin.

Unseelie is frisky, and playful, in a spritely way. But it definitely has a dark sense of humor. It is ethereal and gossamar, but close at home with nature. A fantasy-forest at night, if you will. It transports you to a place where you're not quite sure if up is up, or up is down. It is an ethereal, night-flower that converts through several different phases during its long lasting repartee. Unseelie is an herbal, darker floral frangrance. It has hints of fruit that are bound by a grassy, nature-ness.

It's lovely.

I finally scored an imp fo this, I've been dying to try it, yay!! A very unique scent. Dark, wispy, evil florals over a pleasant green herbal scent. It reminds me of night time, like walking through a green house at midnight. The grass note gives it a fresh, cleaner feel and puts an all around wonderful spin on this gorgeous blend. It's like no BPAL I've ever smelled before, and of course I love it because I can never get more :D A beautiful scent, love it love it! Definitely does conjour up images of the faery court :P

On first sniff, this is a very perfumey scent on me. It's cloying and dark, with a hint of boggy florals beneath it. As it dries, it becomes a bit wispy, without losing its essential darkness. In the end, think I'd classify it as a smoky floral, but it's a little murkier than that. I get an odd, musky note as well. Overall, it's pretty, but not for me.

In bottle: Flowery! Very floral.

On skin, wet: Very floral, and there is a hint of the loam.. not much else.

On skin, dry: Mm. Powder and soft florals.

Conclusion: While it was fun to stalk this down, and I'm glad I got to try it, I should've realised by now that florals and I are not a happy couple.

Rating: 0/5

Unseelie

Got this as a frimp with my order - thanks labbies!

My first impression from this wet on my wrist is a fat rose-cheeked laughing baby. I'm really bad at identifying individual scents, so all I can say is it smells like a sweet and floral baby powder. The color white comes to mind, and it smells happy and bright.

After I put this on for 10 hours, I can still sniff it on my wrist (if I sniff really really hard).

Not the most magnificent scent for me, but a pretty blend for those of you floral people out there.

Got an imp thanks to the wonderful Rhowan :P

What's all the fuss about? A LOT, I tell you what. This is AMAZING (and, of course, hard to find). It smells very soft and powdery, warm and glowing, I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

This is one of the blends I've always wanted to try, but couldn't get hold of for love nor money. Absinthetics very generously sent me a couple of drops in an imp vial to sniff, and..

It's fab. :P

Somehow, Unseelie reminds me of the expensive perfumes my mother used to keep on her dresser when I was small. She'd let me smell them occasionally, and while some of them were just strong and odd, there were always a few that made me wish I was grown up so that I could dress up and wear it. That smell somehow makes me think 'woman'. A sophisticated, confidant, beautiful woman.

It's a dark floral, that ends up just a touch powdery on my skin, but I didn't mind that at all. I'd love to find a whole imp of this, just to sniff. It's so lovely.

Unseelie-

In Bottle: Soft and powdery, a little sweet like honey.

Wet: Strong floral "perfumey" bloom on my skin; it reminds me just a little of my beloved K de Krizia.

Dry: This is powdery and sweet and just delicious. It's like delicious amber; I don't think of it as a "green" scent at all; it's rich and golden-amber.

Overall: I love.

This is a very light herbal scent. It's very soft and quite powdery. It actually smells a little bit like baby powder. Totally not what I expected.

Unseelie has a strange, slightly unpleasant scent at first. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, but it smells kind of like a resin and kind of like a bitter herb. When it's drying it starts smelling perfumey, powdery, and soft, but that strange bitter/resin combination is still running along the bottom of it. When it's dry, the perfumey part that I like seems to have faded away entirely and all I'm left with is that weird scent I don't really like plus some powder. It's extremely faint after about ten minutes, too.

This isn't going to work for me. My skin seems to be having some trouble with it.

I'm so glad I don't like this scent, as it's almost impossible to get ahold of and I would just end up pining over it a la Storyville. :P

On me, it turns into powder. Yep , that's it. Not even baby powder, just...powder. If I close my eyes and think real hard, I can almost imagine it smells like herbal-scented powder, but I can get that much more conveniently with Leanan Sidhe (not the powder thing. The lovely herbal).

Edited by little_galaxie