BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Hide

Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

this was almost all dragon's blood on me, w/ the slightest hint of smoke. it didn't change or morph while drying. if you are a dragon's blood lover this one is for you.

Dragon's blood has a tendency to go insanely floral on me, but it doesn't in this blend. The leather tones it way down and I'm actually getting something rich and incensey out of the dragon's blood. I love this! It's warm, dark, and mellow, with a hint of "sweet and sour" (I'm not sure what I mean by that). I think this is my favorite of the Ars Draconis now...

Dragon's Blood can go insanely floral on me too, at times, and it really sort of does in this one. My skin also amps up leather which adds up to this being one STRONG scent on me.

And it ends up being just that - simply dragon's blood and leather.

I'm undecided on this one right now.

This is the exact smell of hot, sunbaked leather on me. It's eerie - I feel like I should have an expensive leather jacket on, basking in the sun or something - it's that hot. It's actually warm on my wrist, too.

If I get my nose right up on my wrist, I get a little flash of sweet dragon's blood through the hot leather, but it's faint. This also has a hint of a smoky, salty scent to it, which adds to the heat, since it makes me think of clean sweat drying on skin.

I like this very much, even though it is not a perfumey perfume. It's unexpected and different from anything else I have, and I think it would be absolutely delicious on a guy (or the right type of woman - the kind who can wear leather pants and make you whimper). I don't know that I'll wear this often, but I'm glad I got the 5 ml.

Edited by Thorne

This is leather with a hint of dragon's blood. Usually, the dragon's blood usurps power from everything else, but in this case the leather did. It's nice de Sade leather, wrapped in blood. My boy is so fascinated with the leather scent atm, I'm going to try it on him.

Dragon's Hide

I'm a sucker for dragon's blood, a sucker for leather, and a sucker for smoky scents...so I had a feeling I couldn't go wrong with this one.

Out of the vial: Pure dragon's blood. Oh, yes.

Upon application: It only takes about a minute for the leather to sweeten and soften the dragon's blood. I've never thought of leather as a mellowing note, but that's exactly what it does in this blend.

Conclusion: Smoky and lusty and leathery and gorgeous. This is what I think my imaginary medieval boyfriend, Baldfur, smells like. Looooooove it. Can't get enough.

In the bottle: The sweet jasmine smell of dragon's blood, a bit darkened.

Wearing: Aye, soap! Especially in the throw. I should have known. However, on closer inspection, it seems that the soapy smell is exclusive to the throw. Sniffing directly from my arm I get something more along the lines of an old attic. Dusty, musty, and slightly sweetened by perfumes that have aged for decades.

Later: Well, the poetic attic visual is gone, and it actually does smell like leather now. At first when the leather note was coming in, it was the leather from Loviatar, which to my nose always kind of smelled like Pepsi (in a good way!). After a few minutes in the leather stage, it's the leather from Perversion. Sweet, smokey leather. With still a bit of Pepsi. I think maybe there might be myrrh here. No matter, just as long as the soapy jasmine smell has died down for the most part, I'm not terribly unhappy.

Overall: I'm...not sure what to make of this one. It certainly is an interesting combination, and I love the drydown...but the throw! Will give this much thought on whether I plan on keeping it or not.

ETA: Way, way later it turns into fabric softener! Darn. I really have to come to terms with the fact that I can't wear dragon's blood. Swap pile it is.

Edited by voodoobaby

at first: the lab included this as an extra. i smell dragon's blood and leather.

on: dry, but not as dry as dragon's bone. i think i may smell a faint bit of leather, but i'm mostly getting the dragon's blood.

1 hour later: much warmer. almost comforting. i think i'm getting more leather now.

4 hours later: i really like this. the leather is the predominant scent, but a tinge of smoke and the sweetness of the dragon's blood are still there. lovely.

overall: yay for the lab! they know what i like. i may buy a bottle of this once i use up my imp.

We like all things "dragon" in our house. Dragon's Hide is no exception. The Dragon's Blood does it's usual jasminish floral, which is a good thing, on me anyway.

The dry down on this one is a bit more difficult to describe. It's not the "in your face" leather, I so love in Perversion. Instead this is softer, more subtle black Italianish leather.

The throw is much more intimate. Come hither, so I can nibble on your ear, kind of intimate.

Overall, a more subtle but sexy blend from the Ars Draconis category.

Dragon's Hide is subtle, clean, and very expensive leather.

Almost has an iridescent, scaly quality to it... This hide was acquired after a ten-year quest, and cured over a slow bed of embers fed with rare flowers and woods.

Damn!

I love Dragon's Blood and so does my skin. But my skin chemistry has a rather chaotic relationship with leather. Dead Man's Hand? Pure leather. Other BPAL with a leather note? Cheap ass motel soap. And, sadly, Dragon's Hide turned from a lovely scent in the vial into an overpowering soapy smell. Boo. This is a great scent, but my skin chemistry just loves to wage war. Off to swap to find a happy home.

Preconceived notions:

This sounded really good to me when I ordered it, but for some reason, dragon's blood and leather aren't working for me lately...I can't seem to feel right wearing either one of them, so I don't know what that will mean for Dragon's Hide. :D

First sniff:

Almost pure dragon's blood. There's a hint of leather there, too, but I think I only recognize it because I know it's there. I don't think dragon's blood likes me anymore because I just can't get into this. I feel really...neutral towards this although I used to love both dragon's blood and leather. :P

Wet on skin:

Much more leathery now. It's like the bastard child of Dragon's Blood and De Sade, which isn't a bad thing. I'm starting to get into this more now, so maybe there's hope yet. :D

Dry down:

Just as the description says: dragon's blood, leather and smoke. This is pretty damn sexy now that it's dry. It's balanced nicely between the three notes with none of them coming on too strong. :D

The bottom line:

Very nice and a big relief for me and my recent scent-related mood swings. :D

Mmmm, this is lovely -- Dragon's Hide reminds me of Dragon's Bone, only not nearly as dry and woody. I smell a lot of dragon's blood resiny incense smoke, and a hint of leather. It's rich, dry, sexy, and just plain yummy.

I. Am. In. Love.

In the imp: Smoky-sweet.

On my skin: This one didn't change too much from initial application to drydown. The dragon's blood has that same lovely cherry-sweet-warm effect on my skin that it does in Dragon's Milk, and the smoke and leather balance wonderfully with in. I put it on around 5 pm and smelled great all evening, even through a crowded, sweaty concert.

DEFINITE 5 ml purchase coming up. :P

I smell smoke and leather, making the dragon's blood less sweet.

A lot of smoke, strong and more masculine than the others Ars Draconis I've tried.

Worth a shot.

The Ars Draconis scents amaze me. I smell Dragon's Hide and think, "Yes, that is what dragon's hide smells like." Not that I had ever thought about it before, but I suddenly realize that particular scent smells exactly right. Same thing with Dragon's Tears, etc ... the scents are just an awesome achievement.

So the line, including Dragon's Hide, is impressive. As for this scent, I think it smells like Dragon's Hide. :D It's some combination of Dragon's Blood with a sense of what a dragon's skin would be like ... they have scales, but underneath that, their skin would be tough and thick, like a layer of armour. Leathery maybe, but like, oh ... enchanted leather. :D ( :P at self, but I like the idea of there being a touch of magic in here ... and anyone wearing something that smells of Dragon's Hide shouldn't mind a bit of enchanted-type talk).

Dragon's blood, smoky-enchanted-magic-leather ... very nice ... this would also be great on a guy.

Leather and dragon's blood. An interesting combination. Usually leather is too much for me, but the dragons blood rounded it out nicely. It's quite nice, but I think Iago and Severin are still my two favorite leather scents. :P

Leather. Gorgeous, sexy leather - over that not-quite-edible sweetness of dragon's blood, and with a smoky tea (think lapsang souchong, dried over campfires). Someone catch me before I swoon! :P

The more I wear this scent, the more it reminds me of my brother's leather jacket, with his cologne once as much a part of its smell as the leather, that I used to borrow from him. He hasn't been able to wear it in the six years since our car accident, so it's hanging in my closet, and most of the cologne scent has faded from it, leaving just a hint of his smell, leather, and the strangest sense of physical warmth to its scent.

I'll wear this often. It dries down only slightly sweeter than my pre-BPAL (and definitely not sweet) Bulgari Black, but it has that off-the-beaten-path sense of style to it, and it's womanly in spite of notes that are typically thought of as male.

Definitely going on my bottle wish-list.

This starts of as a pretty straightforward dragon's blood scent, kind of soapy. Drying down, the leather and smoke come through subtley - this is quite dark but still clean smelling.

Dragon's blood tends to go very floral on me for reasons I've never figured out. It takes a lot for a blend to get that really spicey, resiny scent everyone tells me I'm supposed to get. This one gets a lot closer since the leather and smoke really add a deeper and more earthy scent to the DB in this blend. Of the Ars Draconis I've tried it's my hands down favorite. It still managed to go a littlle powedery on me later though so I think I'll be sending this one off and chalking it up to "fun to try"

Initial Sniff: Dragon's blood with just a hint of leather.

Wearing: Spicy dragon's blood is altered ever so slightly by the presence of leather, this is just a touch dry and smokey - othere than that it is just the spicy kick of dragon's blood. As this dries, it gets sweeter.

Final Impressions: There's nothing wrong with this blend, it just isn't striking me as something I have to have.

Again, the dragon's blood is always the most dominant note on me, but the leather shows up and adds a bit of depth. It's odd, and I started to panic after my bad experience with Highwayman, but it never turned sour on me.

As it was fading, the leather became more dominant, but it stilled smelled mostly like my lovely dragon's blood. :P

In the bottle: Leather and smoke are right. Whew. Kinda strong in there for me. I don't get a lot of the dragon's blood scent yet but that usually doesn't hit me until I put it on anyway.

Wet: Hmmm...this is mostly smoke and dragon's blood on me. I've never been too fond of dragon's blood but leather and I are pretty good friends.

Dry down: Leather and smoke with very little dragon's blood. Mostly smoke with a bit of a kick to it. I'm not very fond of this blend. I had heard good things about it, but it's just not me. I can't do the smoke, and I don't really care for the dragon's blood blends in and of themselves.

Dry: Slightly spicy leather and smoke. A little too masculine for me, but I think it'll be lovely on the boy who already has a 5ml of it.

On me this was a deep incensy scent (presumably what happens when smoke and dragon's blood get together on my skin) with just a hint of leather hanging around tin the background. It went on that way, it stayed that way and it went that way. Nice, but not spectcular.

I think the dragon's blood overpowers this scent. In the bottle, I can sort of smell the sharpness of the leather in there somewhere. On my skin the dragon's blood just took over everything.