BPAL Madness!
Jasminepearls

Aglaea

Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.

Aglaea is the first fruity Lab scent I've tried that hasn't turned around and bitten me in the ass (to be fair, I haven't tried very many). It's pretty sparkling peaches in the bottle, and once dry it becomes a golden peach, sunny, with a little bubbliness behind it. It's very warm and bright, definitely a spring scent.

I don't wear fruity scents very often, so I don't think I'll get a bottle, but I am keeping the imp.

Edited by karen

Oooooh, yummy!

First on, this smells just like Repubic of Tea's Ginger Peach Tea (a scent I just can't get enough of - I have been know to sit around smelling the tea cannister), only not quite so dry - rounder, deeper, juicier. :D

Later it fades a bit, but is still there when I check three hours later, and is still peachy. Peach usually fades pretty fast on me, so I am very excited to find it still here. :P

On me, this is a very gentle scent, with not a lot of throw as far as I can tell, but a lovely surprise when someone gets close.

Yummmm....

:D

Usually I go more in depth for my reviews but this one was fairly straight through.

Another lovely imp from the generous lj kamyra.

I popped it opened and it smelled like champagne and peach. Sort of like a Bellini, which are a mix of peach juice and champagne. Lovely.

On my skin, I got the crispness of the peach wine. Other than that, it's strongly reminiscent of Fae.

Throughout the entire day I thought I was smelling Fae. Although on a close comparison, Aglaea is a lighter version of Fae.

I do like since I like Fae. It's great to wear in the summer, because Fae is a much riper peach in comparison.

Imp

The strongest note is a delicate peach scent that is sweet and sticky. The ambers give the blend a soft resin side to it.

Wet

That is some mighty strong peach! After a bit of time, the resiny ambers start coming on strongly. I am not picking up any musk

Dry

Wow, this dries fast! And leaves fast too. It was as if I spent all my time waiting for it to bloom and POOF! I missed it. All that is left is the slightest hint of peach and amber and some rubbery scent. :P

Mmmm, peachykeengoodness. From the imp it's a sharp, bright, sweet golden peach. On my skin it's...pretty much the same thing. The scent softens as the oil dries on my skin, but for the most part it stays true to my original impression. It reminded me a lot of Tamora until I wore them side by side; then I realized that Tamora is the older sister who wears black makeup, while Aglaea is the younger sister who tries out for the cheerleading squad. I love them both equally, but Aglaea is better suited for happy days.

Peach! Lots of peach. Not too sweet, and not sour at all. Very bright, and dominant peach. I love it, but its just WAY too feminine on me, so its off to my sweetie.

the peach wine starts out tremendously strong, and then remains very dominant. By dominant I mean completley overwelming on me. Can't really smell much other than it. Its reminding me of peach jello shots in college, and thats not a good thing.that was SUCH a bad night. Definitely way too girlie for me and reminds me why i swore off peach flavors for years. Off to the trade pile.

Scent in bottle: I mainly smell a lovely sweet juicy peach, and some herbal note in the back that's presumably the myrtle.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Hmm...the peach is getting a little too sweet now.

Dry -- Now the peach has behaved itself, and the amber has come out along with the myrtle and maybe a touch of musk.

Conclusion: Quite nice...I'm not sure I like the peach-musk combination, though. Either note would smell very good on me, but the mix is a little odd.

Wet, this smelled like juicy peaches on me. As it dried, the musk came out and turned the scent a little dark. Definitely not for me.

Aglaea remains consistent for me, from imp to skin through drydown; it is a very golden, warm peach! Peach peach peach, a deep golden, peach wine, intermingled with amber to give it a full, rich feel. It is a lovely scent, delicious, mature - but I think the amber combined with peach is having a negative effect on my tummy. I had the same problem with O and March Hare; some fruity/foody+amber oils are just too rich & heavy for me. :P

I will give it another try, but I suspect it will be off to swaps with this one. :D

In the imp and wet on my skin - PURE PEACH!

As this dries down, the peach is still there but there is a nice sharp end note of myrtle that balances Algaea out so it isn't a sickly sweet peach.

Complete dry down - I am a bit disappointed. The myrtle has totally dissapated. What is left is a sweet peach. The musk just lends to the sweetness. Don't get me wrong, I love peach but if this had more of the myrtle, I think it would just be balanced out better. I think this one is a swap.

Edited by Rhowan

In the imp: Ooh peaches. Sticky, juicy peaches.

Wet on me: Yummy smelling sweet peachy goodness. Like the Lipton Peach Ice Tea. Must resist the urge to lick my arm.

Drydown: This is like Fae lite. There's a sparkly note in the background making me think of champagne. The musk grounding the scent keeping it from being cloyingly sweet.

Verdict: Love this. This is what I wanted Fae to smell like. This one goes to the "keep and slather later on" file.

Edited by mandragora

Amber, musk and peach have all played nice with my skin chemistry in the past, so unless the myrtle turns out to be evil, I really don't see how this one can fail.

In the imp: Peeeeeaaaach.

On the skin: Whoa. Y'know, usually when I apply a scent, it's a bit harsh and unpleasant for a minute until my skin adjusts to it. When oil hits my skin, flowers do not instantly bloom, no, nor do ripe fruits spill from woven baskets, nor exotic spices waft from market stalls. No, my skin does not put out the welcome mat. You know the paranoid guy who lives alone and when you knock on his door, he opens it just enough for you to see he's still got the chain fastened, and he peers suspiciously at you and asks who are you and what do you want and demands to see some I.D., and then he makes you stand out there for a couple more minutes while he decides whether or not to let you in? That's how my skin reacts to perfume.

Until now, that is. Aglaea and my skin hit it off like that. The minute it goes on, the most incredible candy-sweet peach scent wafts from my wrists. It calms down fairly quickly, and I can detect an herbal note that makes a perfect backdrop for the peach. Where's the amber, though? It doesn't really make itself known for another half hour or so, when it appears as a warm, quiet afterglow tinged with peach. I think the musk might be working at this stage, too.

Verdict: A glorious, warmhearted winner. Aglaea's like a grown-up version of Fae, still unabashedly in love with the world but with a warm maturity tempering its sweetness. I couldn't order a bottle fast enough. This is the one I reach for on those days when I need cheering up or I know work's going to be particularly stressful. I just can't seem to stay in a bad mood when I'm wearing it.

Brava, Beth!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fae, and it is a fluke that I do because I am not fond of peach as a note. I have finally tried Aglaea, because I am an amber, white musk, and booze fan, and the herbs sounded a bit like those in Fae, so, why not?

It's the peach wine. It is just too much. :P It is like a springtime Jack to my nose. The peach is in the forefront and does not QUIT (!!@#$@%). The musk attempts to hold the other notes together, but Peachy is the boss here.

Beautiful peach straight off! :P

Oh, this is so soft and lovely, and sparkly, if you can use that word to describe a scent...?

A perfect summer blend that is going on my Big Bottle list.

Oh my god, words can't describe how beautiful Aglaea is. Splendour, indeed. Raw, this is pure peach candy with a draft of sweet floral and a zing of musk laid over it.

Once it goes on, it warms up to a sticky-sweet amber with a throaty peach throw that is so delightful and syrupy that I don't for a minute regret smelling like food. This is a thick, luscious, drinkable smell that I could lie in for hours. Like a perfect note of song. Glorious and resplendent and golden.

It comes in with a bang but quiets down a lot, and is a very close-in smell, like all ambers tend to be on me. It's peach-tinted amber, almost pure, with no hint of the floral, and though I applied it twice, it's still very, very light. And still so very beautiful and warm.

I love this smell. I love it all to pieces. It is so very sweet-tempered, and almost heartbreakingly beautiful. Indescribable. Elevating. Even on extreme drydown it doesn't go powdery, and it stays light and sweet. I don't see it being masculine at all, but if you're a brave man, it's there in case you want to smell utterly lickable. This reminds me strongly of Fae, only as lovely as Fae was, this is better in every way. A perfect match with my skin.

Stay away if you don't want to smell like peaches, and stay away if you can't wear amber, but if this even remotely sounds like it might be your thing, try it. Delightful!

In the bottle: Ooh, what's this? Something kind of sweet and a little fruity.

Wet on skin: Oh, it's peach! Yum, yum, yum...

Dry about 2 hours later: Did my grandma just walk in? I could swear I smell her perfume, oh, wait. It's me.

Yeah, I loved the peachiness in the beginning, something very young and flirty, but later on it matures, and boy, does that musk come in. I'll still keep it, because it is a pretty scent, but maybe just the imp.

I remember I got this one in a pack of 12 imps and I had sniffed each one in it's vial and this one was my favorite smelling. In the imp though.

I like many of the peach scents and peach always seems to go a sugary slightly sweet, nice smell on me. Not really like peaches much, but more like... can't really describe it but it's a unique smell that I love. This one however smells exactly like the fruit. That's good, although I think I prefer a couple of other peach smells over this one. Such as Fae and Tamora. It's nice though!!

After trying Tamora and Aglaea, I can only conclude that my skin grabs hold of peach and runs with it, because both fragrances worked out very similarly on me. The peach note leaps out immediately, golden and juicy-sweet to the point of being a little too much.

With Aglaea, the amber comes out as it dries down, warming it and tempering the sticky-sweetness a little, but the peach remains predominant and it's very hard to differentiate it with Tamora, save that Tamora has more staying power and its florals add a bit of something that Aglaea lacks.

Fresh From The Imp: Whoops, peaches. Big fat juicy peaches.

Wet On My Flesh: Peach & myrtle. So far the peach is good, but I'm hoping I don't get that weird spit-smell I get with most peach related products.

Drying Down: Still peachy, though not as strong. A hint of musk.

Hour To Integrate: Not much peach left. It's sweetened into a nice, mellow blend.

End Of Day/Final Report: While it's definitely one of the better ones I've tried, surprisingly enough, it's not one I'd want to keep around.

In the imp: lightly fruity with a hint of booze.

Wet: Peaches, peaches, sticky peaches.

Dry: Oh, WOW. This is gorgeous. The other notes work on my skin so the peach isn't overwhelming...maybe it's the amber? I was worried, as usually fruit amps up and drowns everything else out for me, but here the peach is quietly sitting underneath everything else. This isn't picking peaches on a hot summer day, instead it's warm, golden summer sunsets with a distant wafting hint of peaches on the air.

Cheers to Syzygy for hooking me up with the imp! This may just have to be a 5ml!

Holy peaches, Batman!

Wet, it smells like ripe fruit, dewy and firm. It's a perfect peach, not the processed, diluted (or, conversely, over-amplified) peach that you find in a lot of commercially-available products. I can appreciate its natural appeal.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the smell of peach.

I'd promised myself that I'd try every BPAL I received, even if the notes sounded like something I'd hate. This is the first one that met my expectation - not because the blend is poor, but simply because peach is not something that I like to smell. (I suspect this is mostly due to an Incident when I was a tot. I can't even look at fruit cocktail.)

Fortunately, my mother adores the smell of peach, so this one will be marvelously easy to find a good home for.

Bottle: Bright, bursting peach with a hint of amber behind.

Wet: the ambers are getting warmer and fuller, and I'm catching a hint of the myrtle, but it's still almost all peach.

Dry: much the same, the peach is leaving little room for the other notes. no hint of the musk at all, the mytrle that snuck in so subtly has snuck back out.

Later: I had really hoped the ambers would hold their own to the extent that the peach wouldn't take off completely - I found something like that in Imp, the peach note was tempered. Darn.

In the bottle, peaches. Heavenly, glorious, ripe fresh picked peaches. If there's musk or amber in this, it's just holding the light sweet note of the peaches up. No myrtle whatsoever. Once on, the peaches still maintain the high note, the musk and ambers are detectable in a faint whirl, like hot sunshine and a faint gleam of fresh sweat - not at all unpleasant. My hands smell like I've been picking peaches all day. When I said I had a notion this would smell like Peachtree Schnapps, I had no idea I was right. This scent is sweet enough to make you drunk. Warming up, it tones down very slightly. The peach lightens and the musk and ambers smooth out, filling in the blank areas from before. Now it's sweet but full, the body of it is smooth and warm like tonic. The myrtle is a soft green smell in the background that makes it just a bit bitter, like an alcohol. Peach wine indeed, this is intoxicating and delicious.

i kept thinking "apricot" instead of Peach, but i think it is because this is listed as "peach wine", so maybe that gives it a bite more than usual peach :P

This is very sweet, but light... like if you were driving past peach trees, and you caught the scent in the wind. Beautiful!