BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Can anyone suggest a GC/currently available scent that could replace Flickering Lantern when I run out? I'm failing at picking out the notes in FL, but I think it's the combination of beeswax and wispy smoke that I love.

Can anyone suggest a GC/currently available scent that could replace Flickering Lantern when I run out? I'm failing at picking out the notes in FL, but I think it's the combination of beeswax and wispy smoke that I love.

They're not exactly the same, but The Lights of Men's Lives is pretty close! The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering.

Is there anything that resembles Dungeon Crawl? Fiance thinks he'd like DC but uh.... It looks super hard to find.

Is there anything even similar to Goth Queen? I know I'll probably never try the real thing so something close would be great!

maybe Death Shall Come in with Thee from the 2014 Lupers? i haven't tried it, as that was the year i was moving across the country in February and forgot to order Lupers. but based on the way Goth Queen smells to me, the notes to that one seem like they could create a similar vibe. Mary Shelley is in the same family, but not a close relative - or maybe a close relative, but the kind where you go, "wait, seriously, you're sisters?" Goth Queen is much more peppery and spicy.

The Little Wooden Doll is very similar to Eve OLLA, from what I remember. I cannot find my decant to compare, I've been looking for ages, but can anyone concur?

In case I fail in my quest to buy Comedy Queen... is there anything comparable in the GC, or a less rare LE? It's the honey & orange combo I'm particularly interested in.

In case I fail in my quest to buy Comedy Queen... is there anything comparable in the GC, or a less rare LE? It's the honey & orange combo I'm particularly interested in.

It's pretty similar to 'O'. Maybe layer it with something that is orange or Orange Blossom dominant. Khrysee.

It's pretty similar to 'O'. Maybe layer it with something that is orange or Orange Blossom dominant. Khrysee.

Ooh thanks, I think I have an O imp somewhere, I'll dab a bit of Bones of Capys over it and see what happens :D

Edited by KatyC

it really isn't orangey at all; it's orange blossomy. i find it very similar to the recent (and probably not hard to find) LE Swift as Light, Beauteous in Color, Charming in Song - which i like more than Comedy Queen. Like the Flashing of Light is also in a very similar vein (same collection as Swift as Light), and has both neroli and king mandarin in it, so you might like that even more.

Check out Luper- Entertaining the Heian Court Maiden because Comedy Queen dried down to practically the same scent on me. Also, the honey in Womb Fury is very similar along with the Swift as Light, Krysee and O mentioned above. Honestly, any of these are BETTER than Comedy Queen but I totally understand chasing something because of the notes :whisper: In terms of GC's and/or things in stock: Pandy, Katharina, Jiggery Pokery, and kindof a stretch but similar, Hollywood Babylon.

Edited by Jenjin

it really isn't orangey at all; it's orange blossomy. i find it very similar to the recent (and probably not hard to find) LE Swift as Light, Beauteous in Color, Charming in Song - which i like more than Comedy Queen. Like the Flashing of Light is also in a very similar vein (same collection as Swift as Light), and has both neroli and king mandarin in it, so you might like that even more.

Check out Luper- Entertaining the Heian Court Maiden because Comedy Queen dried down to practically the same scent on me. Also, the honey in Womb Fury is very similar along with the Swift as Light, Krysee and O mentioned above. Honestly, any of these are BETTER than Comedy Queen but I totally understand chasing something because of the notes :whisper: In terms of GC's and/or things in stock: Pandy, Katharina, Jiggery Pokery, and kindof a stretch but similar, Hollywood Babylon.

Ooh, thanks very much for this you two, you've killed a frustrating craving! I have Swift as Light and I'm not too fond of it, don't think it works very well on my skin, and I didn't expect it to smell similar from the (limited) reviews. I already have Womb Furie, so I'll probably just keep an eye out for Entertaining the Heian Court Maiden and forget about paying silly money for CQ!

Is there any that resembles Monster Bait: Underpants? It smells so good!

I think the simple answer is, sadly, no. :(

I don't think there's anything in the world that smells like MB: Underpants.

Is there any that resembles Monster Bait: Underpants? It smells so good!

Nothing quite, but try Port au Prince, Cockaigne, Lyonesse, and Mouses Long and Sad Tale for possible similar vibes. And Loves Philosophy is an LE with similarities that is a little less hard to find now because it's been released more than once.

I was recently testing Burning Vulva and couldn't stop sniffing myself because it reminded me of something I couldn't put my finger on. My first thought was Illustrated Woman, without the pine, but then it hit me.

Burning Vulva smells like Bien Loin D'Ici. "Sex and honey" is the way I described it.

Is there anything GC or currently available that can be compared with Hesiod's Phoenix? I searched this thread and found a couple of recommendations for things that are now DC'd themselves. Any suggestions very welcome as I'm losing hope of finding any more HP!

Is there anything GC or currently available that can be compared with Hesiod's Phoenix? I searched this thread and found a couple of recommendations for things that are now DC'd themselves. Any suggestions very welcome as I'm losing hope of finding any more HP!

If you have the amber-heavy version, there are certainly reviews drawing GC comparisons between The Lion and Aelopile.

The dry-down of Oil and Pitch (once the pine has burned off a bit) is the same amber, on me, as Hesiod's. I would think Oil and Pitch would be slightly easier to find, maybe? I have never found anything in the GC with that same amber note, unfortunately (or I would hoard it!).

If anyone loves Kingsport, I recommend you at least try The Wood-Pile from the current 2017 Yules. While they're not exactly alike, they sure are alike in character. The Wood-Pile doesn't have as much of a hazy incensey vibe but the sweet aquatic part is very similar to my nose.

Since Beanman and Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina is becoming really hard to come by and I've almost given up on finding even a decant, is there anything that comes close anyone can recommend? I really wish this one could be brought back even for a limited time since I've never smelled anything quite like it.

Is there anything similar to Paper Phoenix? I know its basically dorian and antique lace, but I'm really looking for something similar to the vanilla linen dry-down

Is there anything similar to Paper Phoenix? I know its basically dorian and antique lace, but I'm really looking for something similar to the vanilla linen dry-down

I can't think of anything in the CG's that's an exact fit. White Rabbit has the linen, but the blend has a pretty different feel, at least on me. Cheshire Cat has lavender, citrus, and sort of a playful light feel that's similar, but it doesn't smell the same. Schrodinger's Cat is another one you might look at, but again, it's different, just kind of in the ball park. Possibly Embalming Fluid and Shanghai for the light, lemony tea smell. That's all I got! Hope it helps. :)

I can't think of anything in the CG's that's an exact fit. White Rabbit has the linen, but the blend has a pretty different feel, at least on me. Cheshire Cat has lavender, citrus, and sort of a playful light feel that's similar, but it doesn't smell the same. Schrodinger's Cat is another one you might look at, but again, it's different, just kind of in the ball park. Possibly Embalming Fluid and Shanghai for the light, lemony tea smell. That's all I got! Hope it helps. :)

I have white rabbit on my wishlist I may have to add the cats. HHHHHHhhhhhh it's my first (of my now 4 :P ) big bottles and I fear that I'll develop some nostalgia for it and die