BPAL Madness!

Twelve petals in the heart chakra, twelve cranial nerves in the human body. Twelve lunar months, twelve lunations in a solar year, twelve signs of the Zodiac, twelve Earthly Branches. Twelve Tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles, Jacob and Ishmael each had twelve sons. Twelve days of Christmas, the sacred time between Christmas and Epiphany. Odin had twelve sons. There are twelve jurors in Athenas celestial court. The stars in her crown are hexagrams, proclaiming her dominion over the material world.

A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head: red musk and tolu, centifolia rose and black tobacco, French lavender and star anise, Roman chamomile and leather.

In the bottle, it's all centifolia rose and chamomile. On skin, I get soft tobacco, star anise, centifolia rose (not too strong for all you rose-haters), a worn-in leather couch, and a pinch of something that smells like juniper. This is not a perfume that you wear to make you feel pretty. This is a mystical blend--an anointing oil that you wear with intention.

I get average throw and average longevity with The Starry Crown.

Chamomile, rose, red musk and a whiff of other things. I get mainly chamomile, red musk, and a touch of lavender on wet. This one is an interesting mix, as it changes a bit and the rose blooms as it dries. Good throw and wear length.

So, this has been QUITE the learning experience for me.

After more than 10 years of wearing BPAL oils, I learned that my skin chemistry does HORRIBLE things to red musk. I absolutely cannot wear it on my skin or hair, or even touch it. I'm going to experiment with wearing it in a scent locket, handling it with kid gloves. Literally. Well, disposable surgical gloves anyway.

So what happens that's so horrible?

- It kills all the other notes in a scent. Totally wipes them out. Nuclear holocaust-type destruction.

- It amps to 11.

- It turns into Syrup of Ipecac, without the orange flavoring. Sickeningly, cloyingly sweet. I mean, literally nauseating. As in, I have to wash it off before I barf.

It was a very familiar smell, one I've noticed in several BPAL oils. I thought it was just a note I disliked. It took this one to show me that it isn't supposed to smell like that.

It turns out that has been the problem with Snake Oil all along. I knew I hated it, but thought it was the vanilla. But this has no vanilla, and smells EXACTLY the same on me as Snake Oil. (And I've recently discovered a couple of vanilla blends that I actually love.) Except for tolu, I knew all of the other notes in The Starry Crown smell beautiful on me, so it wasn't them. And the info on the internet about tolu says it is spicy, which I never got from this. Also, tolu is pretty rare in BPAL oil, and this was something I'd smelled many times before. Then it hit me: Snake Oil. This smells like Snake Oil.

So I checked the reviews for Snake Oil to see what was in it. By now I was pretty sure it was the red musk that was the problem. (Actually, not red musk itself but what my skin does to it.) Bingo. Musk isn't listed in the description, but numerous reviewers mentioned it. And several said red musk specifically.

I've never smelled or tested red musk, or any kind of musk, by itself. That's why it took me so long to figure it out. Especially when white musk is one of my favorite notes. For some reason, my skin doesn't seem to interfere with white musk.

So obviously I need to avoid any blends that contain red musk. Or wear them only in the scent locket, handling them very carefully to prevent contaminating them with my skin chemicals.

It's not this perfume, it's my skin that is the problem. I got some glimpses into what this SHOULD smell like. In the bottle, if I am very careful to touch only the outside of the bottle and cap and not get any oil on my skin, I get some lovely lavender, rose, and chamomile.

And on my clothes, I got the most gorgeous draft of rose. Only once, and very briefly, but it showed me what this perfume is supposed to smell like. And undoubtedly does, on other people. Apparently my wrist touched my clothes and transferred some of the oil to them before it got changed by my skin chemicals.

So I am interested in trying this out very carefully in the locket.

And you know what? It might work for Snake Oil too. But I'll need a new imp of that one that isn't already contaminated with my skin chemicals. My bottle of Starry Crown might still be salvageable since I only touched it to my skin once.

An interesting thing: My daughter also hates Snake Oil. Which was very surprising to both of us, since woods, resins, and incense scents - basically anything warm, nonfloral and non-foody - are her favorites. I'll bet she got my skin chemistry genes. I'd love to try Snake Oil in a scent locket on her too. (This one would be too floral for her.)

Edited by Ghost of a Rose