BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Hi everyone! Sorry to be back with another “blind” scent rec question, but a friend of mine really was liking the idea of Armani Prive Oranger Alhambra except that it doesn’t seem to be available and is well out of our price point.

Any suggestions?

"Top notes are lemon, bitter orange, petitgrain and bergamot; middle notes are rosemary, jasmine and marjoram; base notes are patchouli and oakmoss."

Thanks in advance. She’s not keen on the idea of BPAL because she feels the need to smell everything first, but I’ve tried to convince her of how much better I’ve done with BPAL than even going to look for perfumes! So I thought finding something similar probably might help convert her to the BpAL!

Body Time in Berkeley is closing down so no more China Rain perfume oil. :cry2: It's a light musk with white florals and a green top note. Anyone familiar with China Rain and BPAL who has any recommendations?

It's probably been 10 years since I've smelled China Rain, so this is a stab in the dark, but Swans on the River kind of reminded me of my memory of it.

Staying at my parents' house over the weekend, I rediscovered my father's "Le Male" by Jean Paul Gaultier.

The top notes of this Jean Paul Gaultier cologne for men include fresh mint, bergamot, and lavender. The middle notes are represented by orange blossom, cinnamon, and cumin. In the base notes, you will find cedar, sandalwood, tonka bean, and vanilla to add a sweet warmth. Its spicy notes make this cologne best for winter and night wear.

What from BPAL might be similar?

Staying at my parents' house over the weekend, I rediscovered my father's "Le Male" by Jean Paul Gaultier.

The top notes of this Jean Paul Gaultier cologne for men include fresh mint, bergamot, and lavender. The middle notes are represented by orange blossom, cinnamon, and cumin. In the base notes, you will find cedar, sandalwood, tonka bean, and vanilla to add a sweet warmth. Its spicy notes make this cologne best for winter and night wear.

What from BPAL might be similar?

The masculine take on orange blossom makes me wonder about Tavern of Hell: White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

Any BPAL scents close to Aramis New West for Women?

Just saw a 2011 recommendation to layer 51 with Lightning. Anything close since 2011?

Edited by Fiam

Any near equivalents to Tom Ford's "Grey Vetiver"?

According to http://parfumplusmag.fourplusmedia.com/colin-firth-prefers-tom-ford-perfumes/ theseare the notes:

Olfactory Notes of Grey Vetiver

Top : Grapefruit, Orange Blossom, Sage

Heart : Nutmeg, Orris Root, Pimento

Base : Vetiver, Woodsy Notes, Amber, Oakmoss

(I'm just such a noob on perfumes that I don't feel confident that I could search the BPAL and succeed here, so thank you in advance for taking pity on me!)

i hope this was the right place for this!

can you describe qualities or notes that stand out to you? i find usually if you put forth a commercial scent and then try to match the notes with a BPAL, you'll get very different results, whereas if you can say what stands out and appeals, like, "i smell mostly the vetiver and oakmoss and it's masculine and woodsy and sensual, etc" it's easier to go, "ohh, try Nephilim!"

Ok I finally got a chance to smell this and I FELL IN LOVE with it on the paper/on me wet - but once it dries I get this fuzzy halo of headache inducing perfume scent I’m assuming is the vetiver? So - as someone who doesn’t understand scents very well - I guess I’m looking for a citrus scent that isn’t too sweet or fresh? Like it’s citrus but it has no chance of smelling like cleanser? It has more depth than most citrus? Does that help actually get a better rec? (I’m not about to pay $88 for something that gave me a headache when NOTHING I have tried from BPAL has given me a headache EVER and I’d rather give my business to BPAL anyway. But I really really did just keep walking around sniffing the paper with Grey Vetivier in the store because it was THAT fab on paper. :( sigh.)

Any recommendations for scents similar to Lush's Karma or Rose Jam? Preferably GC

For Rose Jam suggestions, you might want to check out the Rose Apologist Thread and this thread of rose recommendations. I've seen multiple people compare Hope from the Carnival Diabolique to Rose Jam (though you'd have to try and find a bottle via the sales/swap pages if you want just Hope on its own, because the Lab only sells it as part of a set with Faith), and The Best Lies from the American Gods line also struck me as similar.

My favorite regular GC rose is Jezebel, but it's heavy on the orange blossom and sandalwood and not much like Rose Jam.

Any recommendations for scents similar to Lush's Karma or Rose Jam? Preferably GC

I'd suggest searching in this whole topic of Lush comparisons. I did a search within the topic on "rose jam" (using the quotations) and there were several results. It would be even easier to search that topic for Karma since that is just one word!

My personal GC suggestion for Rose Jam would be Spellbound, but YMMV. :)

For Rose Jam suggestions, you might want to check out the Rose Apologist Thread and this thread of rose recommendations. I've seen multiple people compare Hope from the Carnival Diabolique to Rose Jam (though you'd have to try and find a bottle via the sales/swap pages if you want just Hope on its own, because the Lab only sells it as part of a set with Faith), and The Best Lies from the American Gods line also struck me as similar.

My favorite regular GC rose is Jezebel, but it's heavy on the orange blossom and sandalwood and not much like Rose Jam.

Oh cool, I've been eyeing Hope & Faith for a while so the fact that Hope is similar is good news for me

Thank you for the suggestions :)

I'd suggest searching in this whole topic of Lush comparisons. I did a search within the topic on "rose jam" (using the quotations) and there were several results. It would be even easier to search that topic for Karma since that is just one word!

My personal GC suggestion for Rose Jam would be Spellbound, but YMMV. :)

I didn't know about that topic, tysm!