BPAL Madness!
Ashinros

Imp and Bottle Cap Issues (breakage, leakage)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I wasn't sure where to put it!

I just wanted to see if other people have been having problems with the caps splitting and breaking off inside their imps recently?

I've attended the January and February lunacy events in LA and both times I received frimps from the events, the imp caps split from their tops or break off completely.

I'm worried that they got a bad batch of caps, or is this a thing that is normal?

I just had that happen in my last order! I thought it was just a fluke, but maybe not. The cap on one of my imps sheared almost cleanly a millimeter or two above the top of the glass when I tried to open it. I had to turn it into a room spray after I tested it because I didn't have any other way to store it or move it to a new bottle. :/

I've had two shear off like that and then between 2 - 4 split on the inside but not shear off yet.

I thought the first time it was just a fluke as well, but I just had one shear off tonight so I was curious.

Ash, I'll pop a few extra caps into your Luper order when I send it out... so hang in there. :)

Azzie, you're the best hands-down. I owe you <3

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I wasn't sure where to put it!

I just wanted to see if other people have been having problems with the caps splitting and breaking off inside their imps recently?

I've attended the January and February lunacy events in LA and both times I received frimps from the events, the imp caps split from their tops or break off completely.

I'm worried that they got a bad batch of caps, or is this a thing that is normal?

It does happen sometimes! There was a batch years ago where the caps sheared off too. And I had a pile of decants from like 2007 that all leaked. I think sometimes the vial company has a bad batch. :/ No, it's not normal--I have lots of imps that have survived for ~10 years with no issue.

This happened with one of the imps in an order that I received in late January. I figured it was a fluke; I've had an imp cap break before, but that was one I used repeatedly over months, while I'd opened this one maybe twice. It does sound like a bad batch of caps.

I had this happen with an imp I ordered mid January, the top broke off in one slice but left the little stick part still stuck firmly inside the imp. I just left it as I didn't know what to do other than try to get the bit left out and maybe steal a cap from an unloved imp even though it would pain me to do so! I had only opened it once previously to sniff, I wouldn't mind if only it wasn't a scent I liked and wanted to skin test properly, I may just end up getting a big bottle eventually anyways!

I had an imp of Joy Mojo recently that came to me with what looked to be a cut lid that finished snapping when I tried opening it, I had randomly ordered some fresh imp vials shortly into my journey so had something to put it in, but in my limited experience in the few months I have been at this. Bad caps are a rare occurrence, and probably from a bad batch of caps. I don't think anything in my imp/decant collection is older than a few years so can't attest for really old imps, but out of 136 imps/decants only had two broken caps, both from recent lab orders. My second broken cap was an imp of Snake Oil and it split after about 10 openings.

Edited by russetfox

2 of my imps from my last order had this happen. I'd had a cap crack once before in all of my orders.

Yep, count me in as another that must have gotten imps from a bad batch- I had three imps that tagged along with my Yules order split the first time I tried to open them...... It was certainly a surprise! I have not ever had that happen from a BPAL imp before.

Interesting... I had an order come in a few months ago, around jan? and had the exact same issue with the same scent..

a frimp of Joy Mojo had the sheared cap, that is just as you describe. It was a frimp and I wasn't a fan of the scent (and i had an extra cap) so I didn't worry much about it but I think it's interesting that it was the same exact scenario.

I'm a little concerned because I just made a big order, including several imps for friends that I just got into BPAL. I hope their first experience doesn't have bad caps. :/

I had an imp of Joy Mojo recently that came to me with what looked to be a cut lid that finished snapping when I tried opening it, I had randomly ordered some fresh imp vials shortly into my journey so had something to put it in, but in my limited experience in the few months I have been at this. Bad caps are a rare occurrence, and probably from a bad batch of caps. I don't think anything in my imp/decant collection is older than a few years so can't attest for really old imps, but out of 136 imps/decants only had two broken caps, both from recent lab orders. My second broken cap was an imp of Snake Oil and it split after about 10 openings.

Edited by HonorAlexandria

Ah, ok... I just had another order come in with broken/sheared imp caps. This is the 3rd order this has happened to. I'm starting to wonder if they are aware? I'm really concerned about my big ordering coming in now.. .any thoughts on whether to email the lab about this?

Add me to the list: just received an order, and I had a frimp cap shear the first time I opened it to sniff. Alas, Beer From The Marshwoman's Brewery, I hardly knew ye. I've never had this happen before but it's just as people are describing. I'm also finding that the imp caps on this order are all kind of difficult to open, which is different and new.

Edited by halation

And added is an imp of Gnome, finally getting around to finishing my untested oils in preparation of Lupers coming.

Snake Oil: 12/14/15

Joy Mojo: 12/24/15

Gnome: 1/30/16

Probably should let the lab know, so far nothing is coming in ruined but if you don't have your own stash of imp caps or alternative storage, then your kinda out an imp.

Welp, I sent an email. Hopefully they won't think I'm trying to be bratty. I tried to make it clear I wasn't upset, but that they might want to know/be aware.

I did not mention that anyone else had an issue because I didn't want to speak for anyone else. If they ask i'll let them know. Maybe if you had a paid imp that was affected send them a message so they can get an indication of how many are affected?

ETA: The first imp/order I had with this issue was back in October (2015). Every order since then has had at least one affected imp.

Edited by HonorAlexandria

Yes, same thing happened with my frimps of Black Forest and Hunger. They're from different orders, both been sent to me in February. Never had any issues with caps before so I think it must be just a bad batch of caps they have...

The response I got from the lab seemed a bit surprised, so I directed them to this thread for more info. (I mean, the lab has access to the forum anyway). Hopefully they can track down the source, and solve the mystery of the broken imp caps!

I'd like to add that my recently-enabled friend just got her first order in, and one of the imp caps in that order sheared off like the rest as described here.

Same happened to both of my Voodoo imps from two different orders :ugh: They were frimps but I quite like the scent and wanted to test some more..

Working through a large set of imps ordered for myself and a friend. Had my first cap break upon first trying Thanatopsis (sent in late Feb, was from Conifer imp pack if that matters). Glad I saw this thread beforehand. I tried transferring the contents of the imp to a contact lens case -- not sure it'll be tight enough to prevent the oil from evaporating, but I thought it was worth a shot.

ETA: Had two more break. Second cap was from Black Forest (also conifer pack from February, see above), third was Hollywood Babylon from a late April order. I'm curious if the other imps from the conifer pack would also break, but those won't be seeing any use until next Fall/Winter and I'd rather not tamper with them just to see.

Edited by methodmaven

Same happened to both of my Voodoo imps from two different orders :ugh: They were frimps but I quite like the scent and wanted to test some more..

I just had the same thing happen, also to a Voodoo frimp. None of the other caps in the order were affected.

My Joy Mojo sample did this same thing. Only one imp out of all the ones I've received. Not bad odds, it made my room smell so nice because I had it upright and it tipped over because it was broken.