BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Sir Thomas Sharpe

Give in to temptation: black amber darkens a pale fougere.

Thomas is DELICIOUS. The oil is a deep red hue (which is so perfect for the character). It smells like Dragon's Blood and Amber to me, warm and smooth and merry but with an undercurrent of darkness, and something yearning. It's not too masculine, I think it would be perfect on both men and women. Neutral enough to layer well with other oils, but strong enough stand on its own. Mmmm, Thomas!

ETA: Although I didn't detect it when I first put it on, the next morning it seemed like there was lavender present (what remained of the scent smelled like Light & Swift to me).

Being the Tom Hiddleston fan I am, I snapped him up immediately at Will Call, along with a backup. I'd love to see the official description and notes, so this is me trying to do this as best as I can.

The first lash on my skin, I smelled something masculine, but it's not to the extent of OLLA's Adam. I get a lot of woody notes from this, something a bit dusty. He smells warm and comfortingish, but isn't in your face.

I skin-tested him with Edith Cushing (which I wound up buying) *and* Lucille Sharpe. Both combinations, Thomas is the secondary player, but it compliments them.

Holy staying power. It's almost 9:30 AM right now and I applied him at 6:20 PM last night :bunnyluv:

I was expecting not to like this. But I am somehow digging the amber + fougere combination. Warm, cool, distant and charming. It's all amber based with a touch of fougere.

Off to test on mr. zee_zee tonight!

* I will update this with a wet/dry down review as soon as I get the chance to try it!

Oh man, I love this.

In Bottle:
This is my favorite of the CP's I've smelled so far, definitely. It's very simple and almost understated. So much yummy amber and almost a slight sweetness that makes this wonderfully unisex but still leaning on the masculine edge. If you've seen the film, it fits the character quite well. Tempting, but just the littlest bit delicate! :heart:

Edited by oddlittleghost

This is fresh out of the mailbox, so I'll probably update this later

In the bottle: I... I need a moment. This got a very big YES from me.

Wet: Ooh, this is lovely. Very simple, and I wish it had more throw, but it's fantastic. Definitely a warm, sweet fougere. Like Dorian without the sugary tea.

Drydown: So far it's not morphing, which I wouldn't expect it to. The throw's very low so I'm definitely gonna have to slather this. Please insert jokes about slathering yourself with Tom Hiddleston here.

Everything I was hoping for. The notes compliment each other so well.

Amber and Fougere perfectly balanced.

A warm, unisex blend.

In the Bottle: Luscious black amber and sensual oakmoss, with the slightest hint of lavender. I have not even applied him yet and he already smells intoxicating.

Top Notes: Wet and ruby red when placed on the skin, Thomas begins with the green and earthy oakmoss note from the fougère taking the forefront while the black amber remains strong and consistent. Lavender slinks quietly around in the background. The scent is like a cool yet smoldering glance from across the room.

Middle Notes: While drying, the tonka bean begins to lend a soft vanilla note to the black amber. The oakmoss has quieted down and has now blended with the amber to create a very heady, sexy, and damp masculine wood fragrance. The combination is carnal, dark, and delicious.

Base Notes: The oakmoss has faded away, leaving behind a sweet, lingering mix of the tonka infused amber. The result is a scent that is sweet and sexy in a gentle way.

Overall Impression: This particular blend is a fairly accurate representation of Thomas Sharpe as a character. The lavender and oakmoss notes in the fougère on top of the black amber base initially give him that quality of stoicism and sensuality present when he’s first introduced in the film. However, the combination of the tonka bean note that’s also in the fougère and the black amber base expose the tender and loving nature hiding underneath. The whole composition is extremely reminiscent of the classic Byronic hero archetype that Thomas embodies: cold on the outside, warm on the inside. His scent colors are a warm burgundy, deep verdigris, and sable.

While he is not as complex as Edith or Lucille scent-wise, he certainly makes up for it with presence. He’s a wonderfully balanced blend and, out of the three Crimson Peak bottles I currently have, he has the best longevity at an impressive 20 hours. He’s neither passive nor aggressive; he is perfectly grounded in the middle in terms of both notes and sillage. And while he is without a doubt a masculine scent, he’s sweet and gentle enough to where he can easily be worn as a unisex fragrance. Because of this, I can see him being a perfect candidate for layering with other oils.

Final Verdict: Sir Thomas Sharpe will be staying to haunt my collection with undying sexiness for all eternity. :ghost: :heart:

Edited by Hystrixia

In the bottle: The black amber note jumps out to me first, followed by the fougere.

Wet: I'm getting a lot more of the fougere on my skin, but it isn't long before the black amber asserts its presence and becomes the dominant note. The amber in this is stunning. It adds a warmth to the pale fougere, and it's actually a rather comforting scent. Who wouldn't want to cuddle up to someone wearing this!? This is a scent that says that “There is more to me than what most perceive,” but there's nothing here to suggest any dark secrets.

Dry: This is mainly a soft, black amber on me now, with the pale fougere residing in the background.

Verdict: I had to get this one, because HIDDLES, and because I love I really enjoy Beth's fougeres. I figured I would like it, but I didn't suspect that I would like it more than Edith. I'm so glad that I bought a bottle. :wub2:

Edited by dementia_divine

This is a very warm amber scent. It is soft, yet solid, immovable, yet somehow languid. It is not a scent I thought I would go for because fougere's and I just don't tend to get along, but this isn't a lavender fougere. It is some how deep and dark and almost slinky in its presence. Very glad I got this. Not complex, but definitely a winner.

Yussss, Thomas is another winner from the CP collection! :D

First wonderful thing is the colour of the oil - I apply from the lid of my bottles, and with this it looked like blood on my hand, which seemed perfect for all the blood-red themes in the movie, and also wonderful that I still like the scent, since most red oils are not my friends! This reminds me a little of Dorian, the fougere is vaguely similar, but whereas Dorian is overlaid by the sweet fuzziness of vanilla tea, this smells much more...hard to find a word for it - reserved? Aloof? Almost subtly intimidating? It's definitely sexy, and sexy in a way that sums up his character perfectly - this smells like an aristocratic, elegant guy, but one you've only just met, and you're still trying to impress, and there's all the nervous excitement tingles of trying to work him out - he's not someone comfortable, yet. Very smooth and sophisticated, and even so, strangely a little comforting at the same time.

Scent-wise, rather than vague impressions, it's almost delicately woodsy, with the soft fougere, and it smells very clean, but not in a detergent way, just in an elegantly simplistic way. I loves it - feels like a wonderful cousin of Dorian, and that is fabulous in my book! :biggrin:

Super baby powdery amber, a citrus and musky men's cologne that reminds me a little bit of Wilde, and a strange, imposing scent that's just like oily Skin So Soft. Powdery, warm, and strangely feminine in spite of its masculine musk. I liked this more when I first got it, but it has turned intensely powdery and musky over the past year. It's so much like a mix of baby powder and Skin So Soft oil. I sold my bottle off recently and am not sad to see it go.

Edited by Little Bird

It took a long time for the Sharpes to arrive, but they're finally here! *kicks post office* Have been much more excited about Thomas than anything else, so here we go.....

In bottle: Dorian's (deviant) cousin. I opened this in front of a coworker and she proclaimed it "sex in a bottle." I 100% agree. I smell the flower assortment, but overall.... something wet and mossy, and those are my favorite bpal smells. Oil is blood red in the bottle.

On/drying, half an hour after application: Mellowing to more of an incense-y smell. A warm amber with lavender underneath. I can't find my beloved moss anymore, but I still like it.

May edit as to throw, which will decide how much I am in love with Thomas. If he lingers as well as most bpal scents do on me, this is a new favorrite and I'm going to need a bunch of bottles!

In the bottle: straight, sharp lavender fougere

Wet: the amber blooms almost immediately, countering the sharp cologney fougere and dialing it back to a softer, gentler scent

Dry: A soft, snuggly, and increasingly sweet amber tea – I agree with the reviewer who noted above that Thomas Sharpe is like Dorian without the lemon and vanilla; throw is very, very light. Elegant and straightforward. If, like me, you sometimes find the Lab's fougere scents too cologney, sharp, or cluttered with other masculine notes, Thomas is definitely the guy for you!

It went sour on me. ): It started out lovely, then turned into a sweaty, sour man. I'm not sure what it could be as ambers and fougeres don't tend to do this to me individually. Into the sales pile it goes...

This is gorgeous! A dark fougere due to the amber. Lavender dominates the fougere at first sniff and upon application, with a hint of sweetness to this blend, but not a sharp lavender. Then the amber comes out to play and sticks around. This is not too masculine at all, and I will wear the heck out of my bottle.

This reminds me a lot of Dorian, too--Dorian without the musk or vanilla, but a similar (citrus? something in the fougere, blended very closely with the lavender) sweetness. I don't smell the amber so much as feel it? A softness or warmth. And it's really interesting that it seems to be a riff on Dorian, because both the descriptions mention "temptation." It's like Thomas Sharpe, as a scent, isn't the temptation himself (well, he might be), but is tempted to give into his better nature--the soft amber that's sort of floating around and pleading with the fougere as they settle in together. Basically I've just been sitting here huffing the back of my hand for five minutes straight.

Ooh this one is lovely.

I get a lot of the fougere when I first put this on - it has an almost herbal quality overtop the amber in the wet phase.

Once dry, Thomas is really the most lovely amber blend. There is just a hint of the fougere now but it's blended so smoothly that it all melds together.

Thomas Sharpe is a gorgeous blend and infinity wearable. I wish it had a bit more throw but he's definitely living up to the hype otherwise.

I feel really conflicted about this scent. I mean, Thomas is nice. It dried down very very quickly to nearly completely a darkish amber. I don't know what else exactly is in there because all I can smell is a spicy deep amber. It's masculine (enough) but not super butch, and it makes sense as a companion to the Lucile scent.

The problem is: I like a fougere but not amber-heavy scents; but almost more importantly, this smells nearly exactly like the amalgamated main notes in my grandparents' (especially my grandfather's) scents, and I don't want to smell like Posh Grandpa.

Amber, a sweetness like honeyed tea, and the mildest possible hint of fougere. This stays true through the whole wear, with a delicate throw.

This reminds me a lot of Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure, but without the peppery/woodiness of the black patchouli in that scent.

edit: I've figured out what this reminds me of. Its similar to this Old Spice cologne my Dad used to wear. It's got similar salty notes, I think Thomas is a bit sweeter and warmer and lacks the alcohol-edge, but it makes me reminisce..

Edited by AmandaKay

This smells so similar to something that Lush sells and I can't remember the name. Maybe Lord of Misrule, I DON'T KNOW. Anyway, this perfume mixed with Lucille or Edith is an absolute win, was it intentionally blended to smell perfect with those two? We'll never know. But I love this perfume alone, or mixed.

In the bottle: Chemical amber.

Wet on my skin: Thankfully, the chemical sharpness fades as soon as this hits my skin, and it turns into PURE WIN.

Dry: Absolutely beautiful. This is a rich, slightly herbal amber with a tea-like quality to it. It's a relatively simple blend on my skin, but oh is it lovely. The amber in this is somewhat reminiscent of the amber + black musk in aged Haunted, but sweeter and more elegant with the fougere added to it. Masculine, but not so much so that it would smell out of place on a woman who enjoys more masculine scents (I do). This is definitely as good as the previous reviews have said, and I'm so glad I got a bottle!

I wasn't sure about Thomas. I love amber, but the rest of the notes are not usually my thing, and anything that's fairly masculine or even unisex often doesn't work on me (I like feminine scents, I guess). But in the end I just had to try him, so I got a blind bottle.

The oil is a gorgeous red colour

Wet: Rich, warm, sweet amber. Not getting the other notes yet.

As it starts to dry, I think I am getting hints of lavender. So far this is quite feminine on me, so we're off to a good start. It's not really wowing me though, I have other amber blends that I like just as well.

Dry: Ok, I'm starting to get what all the fuss is about now. Amber and lavender are swoon worthy together. I normally have no desire to wear lavender during the day, but love it at bedtime. I think this is a lavender scent I could wear on a breezy spring day, or at the tail end of winter. It's so pretty. Not at all masculine to me, very wearable. I am so glad I took a risk and got the bottle!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.