BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Black Moths

A flutter in the darkness: wild plum and blackcurrant with aged black patchouli, vetiver, red rose petal, tonka absolute, and opoponax.

I get a heavy dose of vetiver and some plum and blackcurrant in the background. No rose on me, alas.

This is way too dark for me, but I'm glad I got to try it!

I was so sad about this scent! Based on the notes, I should love it (it shares many with Mme. Moriarty, one of my absolute favorite scents). Plum, blackcurrant, patchouli? I'm in!

I'm not sure exactly what I smell when I wear it, but if I had to pick two adjectives it would be Spicy and Smoky. Overwhelming spicy. I don't get fruit or much sweetness. This is a definite no for me.

:sad:

In the vial: Patchouli, with plum and blackcurrant. Very rich, and just a little sweet. So lovely.

On wet: The patchouli dominates, with the opoponax and fruit sweetening things and just a little smokiness from the vetiver. This feels very velvet-y. It's the color of a deep bruise, but I don't get the fruit very distinctly.

Dry: The patch dominates for the first three hours but after that the rose wafts up gently. From that point on it's a harmonious, but dark combination of rose, patchouli, and opoponax.

Overall a dark, gothic, lovely blend. Definitely leaning towards a bottle.

This is such an odd, confusing scent for me. Wet on the skin, it's dark and sharp and foreboding. I can only guess that it's from the patchouli and vetiver - I suppose it's not a good combination on my skin! There is a bit of dark fruit sweetness to take just the slightest edge off, but I don't get any of the other notes. After it dries down, it morphs utterly into a soft, warm floral - the rose comes out and it's a smoky, dark one. However, it fades rather quickly and has absolutely no throw. The final stage of the scent is absolutely lovely, but I think the initial sharpness of it and the lack of throw makes this one for the swap pile.

I really wanted to like this one, but I'm afraid it's just not for me.

In the imp: Straight up dirt. I think it's the vetiver that's doing it, but I can't smell anything else.

On wet: I get a little bit of something spicy, but overall it's still very much dirt.

Dry: Finally, the patchouli comes out to dominate. I'm also getting a bit of what I think is the blackcurrant, and something slightly musty. Hours later, I'm finally starting to get a tiny whiff of the rose. The plum is still completely MIA, unfortunately. :(

Overall, it really does make me think of black moths fluttering around in the dark. If you like dark, earthy patchouli scents, you will probably love this.

Edited by magelet

I have learned that vetiver, unfortunately, is probably not for me. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the vetiver I'm not a fan of. It's a dark,damp, and almost a sexy, broody type scent. I don't get anything sweet. My skin amps up the vetiver...
Sniffing this I can totally imagine walking through the dark hallway on the upper floor of the Sharpe manor, with the sound of soft fluttering of wings near the walls.
Again, on my skin it amps up the vetiver, but after a while it gets a little fuzzier and a bit smoky.

Generally I really don't hate it, over all it's lovely and atmospheric, but sadly it's just not for me. I'm sure this would work perfectly for some people!

Edited by Cali

My decant of Black Moths smells so promising in the vial, but my skin wrecks it. I have tested it 3 times now. Each time, the complex, dark, mysterious scent I get from the vial has gone flat and blah once it's on my skin. The Rose & patch disappear, and the vetiver, plum & blackcurrant somehow turn into salty herbal fruit leather.

Edited by Teamama

Guest Buttermoth

In the new bottle: with a light sniff, smoke! Smoke, dark pitch, burning grass, something like juniper.

Breathing it deep, the very last second of each breath has an almost boozy note. Along with something aggressive and sharp like dandelion juice.

Directly on my skin: still smoke, giving way to something... ALMOST like a pain relieving patch, dark menthol.

One hour later: something like melted crayons, and toothpaste and smoke!

Final opinion:

I am very very disappointed in this scent :( I have read many reviews that evoke something dark and fruity, but alas! Not a single fruity note to be found in bottle or on my skin, and the dark and smoke of the scent gives me an overwhelming headache.

I'll give this one up to my own chemistry being wierd; I can imagine someone else just loving this scent.

Wow, wow, wow. It starts out medicinal (perhaps a more herbal vetivier) but then goes into a deep sexy blend. I get a touch of the fruit at the beginning, but the dry-down features the rose embedded in a rich resinous, almost incense-like blend. The patch and vetivier are exquisite and make the final statement in Black Moths. Dark and fitting of the name. A fascinating morpher and the dry-down is stunning and long lasting. It is the kind of blend that should age beautifully.

The first thing I catch is patchouli, but that sweetens and softens with the blackcurrant and tonka. As it dries the rose comes out a little more strongly and im left with a scent that smell of deep purple, soft and sexy. Theres an edge there too which is the vetiver and patchouli. I love this, and will need to get another bottle

This has a lot of death notes for me, but then again every single CP I have tried thus far has been extraordinary, even if not for me. This falls into the latter for me. Despite loving the black patch in Insects, I even bought a bottle, it's not quite working on me for this, it's a little too patch which I think might have something to do with the vetiver which is often a death note for me. As it dries, the patch becomes less prominent and the plummy notes really come out to play.

This went totally wrong on me. It was mainly a rotten rose soapy scent on me. I got no plum or currant. I didn't smell patchouli either. Just bad rose and soapy ick. Not much throw luckily. So sad. I love the movie so much so I wanted this to work but alas we do not get along. Good news though it's going to a new home with someone who loves it.

First impression, a dark, sexy blast of wet plum and hippie patchouli.

The vetiver soon appears and it's the only other note I can really pick out. And it kind of smothers and lessens the plum and patchouli notes. Darn.

Still nice, but I liked it best before the vetiver showed up.

I love this. It took a few tries for my brain to figure out what, exactly, I was smelling, but as I read some reviews and sat and thought about it some more, the more I liked it.

On me, this is dark, sexy, and smooth. It's sweet with an almost smoky hint, and earthy without smelling like dirt. Good throw and it lasts quite a while, too. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a bottle.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.