BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Ask The Nearest Hippie

An olfactory guide, created to assist you in locating nearby hippies: patchouli, hemp, smoky vanilla bean, and cannabis accord.

(No, there is no actual weed in this perfume, silly.)

I'm definitely in the Stinky Patchouli Lovers club so this was instant blind bottle purchase. In the bottle, I am definitely reminded of my beloved Banshee Beat. Freshly applied, it's quite different though, very green and herbal. Oddly I don't get pot or patch or vanilla but more like growing garden herbs, fresh and bright. I could definitely wear this out of the house without being branded a stoner. It's more hemp than pot. The impression is of herbs and plants growing in the deep forest with a few shafts of sunlight penetrating the canopy of leaves. Very lovely and very different than I expected.

It morphs so smoothly I don't even notice when the vanilla pops out along with patch to create a smoky sweetness layered over the, ahem, greener aspects. Very well-blended and if related to BB/RR/FMaFMwP, it's a distant cousin and not part of the immediate family. Love.

I don't think that this really smells like Banshee Beat / Revenant Rhythm, because it doesn't have any vanilla or sweetness at all on my skin, and the patchouli is a light, woody, cedar-ish variety. I get a little bit of the hemp at first, dark green and oily and slightly sour smelling, and a little smokiness in the drydown, but it's not screaming 'pot smoke' to me or anything like that. Mostly just a light, woody patchouli.

Patchouli and weed! Hee hee. But, my husband insists he can't smell the weed, just "general greenery." Really, the perfume is so carefully blended that it does end up smelling mostly of patchouli with a green, earthy background, plus some nutty, earthy hemp thrown in. I love it!

The next best thing to coming home from a friendly neighborhood cloud of pot smoke. (I'm saying that like it's a good thing)... If you want to smell like fresh burnt weed, without indulging in the real thing, then this is the baby for you. I love it. Just hope I don't get stopped for speeding on the way home with this on...

Here's where I mark myself as uncool: I have no idea what cannabis smells like. So, obviously, I can't comment on its presence or absence in this scent. That said, I am loving this. The patchouli is intense, but not overpowering. It's a woody, almost fruity red patch that I love in so many other scents; it's very similar to the one in Anne Bonny, although a bit sweeter. That may be the vanilla's influence. It gets much more prominent over time, and while it's never quite a vanilla-centric scent, it is a very vanillic woody one. Cozy and very wearable.

In the decant: Strong, earthy scent. I have never smelled cannabis so I have no idea what that smells like. I do however smell patchouli and vanilla that is trying hard to struggle through the strong earthiness.

On me: Super strong earthy patchouli. I also smell tobacco anda bit of.. coconut? There is a sweetness in this scent that isn't your typical vanilla or sugar. It's a very smokey coconut..But with a "moldy" twist.

It's been sitting on my skin for over 30 minutes and there's still no chance. Meh. I really thought the vanilla would be more prominent.