BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Malaena

Where do I go from here?

So, I've done two imp hauls and still don't know how to characterize what I like. (Yes, I'm a newb.)

I've tried the following (likes in green, favorite in purple):

Siren, Twilight, Santa Eularia Des Riu, Nyx, New Orleans, Muse, Euphrosyne,
Love-In-Idleness, Queen Gertrude, The Ghost, Caterpillar, Lolita, Hell’s Belle, Voodoo, Alice, Penitence,
La Petite Mort, 51, Blood Kiss, Defututa, Drink Me, Eat Me, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente, Queen of Hearts, Elf, Vixen, Miskatonic University, French Love, Bensiabel.

From this I have gathered that bergamot, lemon, lemon verbena, lemongrass, ylang ylang, rose, and anything that smells like a sweet I want to eat are fail. Dragon's blood is iffy and jasmine amps.

I do have a notes of win/fail post but putting all this here saves you time! My apparent likes are citrus, fruit, patchouli, myrrh, frankencense, herbs, spices, resins, wood, musk, soft florals, honey, clove, and anything not in the dislike category since I'm still a a huge newb.

What the hell do I like? I'm so confused! What should I try next to cover my bases? Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated! :heart:

I'd definitely say you like the softer florals and a mix of citrus and heavier notes (musk, incense, resins). Have you tried boozy scents? I'd go with Bon Vivant or Bordello; they're sweet and not too foody, but (on me anyway) they smells like incense and fruit.

I suggest reading the reviews of the scents you love and try to spot the other reviewers who share your taste and or skin chemistry...some migh do one but not both. then keep an eye out for their reviews to help you suss out future fun scents to try.

It doesn't look like you've tried a lot of leather scents, another whole family to love or avoid.

Do you like tobacco scents? Vanilla?

Of your listed scents, I like and wear elf and Vixen ( blood kiss Bonbon). 51, voodoo and Alice are nice on me but I don't really wear them. The others I don't know or don't care for.

Scents I like that I think/hope you might like are marquise de merteuil, haunted, black forest, urd, crossroads, czernobog, coyote, le lethe, event horizon, how doth the little crocodile, Hollywood Babylon. Also jareth and Liz, although imps may not be as easy to come by.

Good luck!

Blood Kiss makes me jump to Perversion, but that might be because I fell in love with both around the same time. I see Urd has been recommened, and I second that one. Also, maybe Skuld.

I haven't tried any boozy, leather, or tobacco scents. Vanilla is okay so long as it's not what I call "scented candle vanilla."

Anne -That's a great idea! I'd not thought of that. I'm going to start thread stalking. :biggrin:

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to hunt down the sniffies and do some stalking!

I'm pretty new to BPAL, too, and though I probably can't help you out much with specific scents I can share how I got started.

I came here having a very vague idea of what I liked and mainly searching for scents that were similar to Lush items I liked. I started off working my way through the "Lush to BPAL scent comparisons" thread and noting down scents that people mentioned that were similar to Lush scents I was familiar with. I'd read reviews of the BPAL scents mentioned and pick things that sounded promising. I'd also try to pay attention to mentions of "if you like X, you should really try Y!" I spent (and still do :blush2: ) an embarrassing amount of time poking around in the review threads. I bought some imps from the Lab and some items off eBay. Things were kind of hit or miss at first, but I find that I now seem to be getting better at figuring out if certain things might work for me.

Also, try to keep an open mind. I came in here certain that I didn't like foody and sweet scents, certain florals, "pumpkin-y" scents and... well, the Lab seems to have a real talent for broadening ones horizons. Go poke around in the Sales threads, too. People are always selling all kinds of great stuff and most everyone throws in freebies. I know there are a few things I love that I wouldn't have ever tried had someone not sent me an imp.

I absolutely love Vixen and Elf. I'll try to be brave and recommend a few things that I like that kind of sit along the spice/wood/musk lines: Sin, The Cat, Scherezade, Oblivion, Snake Oil, The Antikytheria Mechanism. I'm not all that great with notes yet, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt! ;)

Good luck to you!

Thank you, Triia! I have been spending an embarassing amount of time reading reviews...XD

I think your recommendations are great! I already have all but The Cat and Oblivion on my wishlist already!

I think you should definitely try Snake Oil! :wub3:

Not a candle type vanilla and it is also resiny! Especially since you liked Vixen...

Of all the bpal scents I've tried, its still my favorite!

I've got some aged Snake Oil, actually! I tested it while on my period (mistake) and now I need to retest it. Muchas gracias! :)

Sign in to follow this