BPAL Madness!
ReallyZeb

June 23, 1868

True love renewed by night in an English garden: moonflower, Nottingham catchfly, Casablanca lily, evening primrose, night-blooming cereus, Queen of the Night, muted by the sepia tones of tonka, tobacco absolute, bourbon vanilla, and costus.

I get what I think is almost 100% moonflower from this, which makes it distinct from the other moonflower blends I have where it lets something else share the stage. Cool, ethereal, and very pretty, without much morphing.

Edited by lady_pandora

I don't know every floral note listed for 1868, but it's mostly moonflower and lily on me, with a breath of vanilla. It feels like an ethereal and vintage floral blend.

Unfortunately, it was turning soapy on me soon after application, as some lilies do. Even though I feel like "Casablanca lily" should work on me. :cool:

I thought it would be nice to try to fix it instead of rehoming it. So I tried it layered with Antique Lace on my arm, and they were pretty together. I used about a fifth of the 1868 bottle and added that amount of Antique Lace to it. This worked well -- no more soap, and the vintage vanilla feel of the blend is more than it was.

Now the blend reminds me of a floral vintage wedding, even more than it initially did.

Wet: Very white, clean-smelling florals. Similar to other reviews; I'm not getting any tobacco, bourbon vanilla, or tonka.

Dry: Count me in as another person with still no tobacco, bourbon vanilla, or tonka appearing on the skin. I was hoping those notes would ground the floral notes, but no such luck. Still all flowers, all the time; almost identical to the wet version, which is rare!

I was hoping the moonflower would be more prominent (my favorite floral note!), but I can't seem to pick it out either. However, if you're a floral lover, I don't think you'd be disappointed by this! Just not a scent for me.

2018 version

I can absolutely appreciate the beauty of June 23, 1868. It is a bouquet of beautiful, heady-but-not-cloying white florals, most of which I'm unfamiliar with, but it smells the way I imagine moonflower would. Lovely and ethereal. Unfortunately, I was hoping for those sepia tones of tonka, tobacco and bourbon vanilla to come dirty things up, and while I may get a touch of vanilla, I really get no tobacco at all. So it's a gorgeous floral, but I almost never wear a pure floral; it's just not me. This would be a fantastic scent for a bride in traditional long white dress and veil.

If the lab ever made the reverse scent, tonka-tobacco-bourbon vanilla with a hint of moonflower, I'd be quite excited. I'm delighted I got to try this one, and if white florals ring your bells, don't miss this.