BPAL Madness!
PurgatoriX

Vampire Tarot: The Lovers

VI. THE LOVERS
After she was dead, she began to come to him in the night. He grew pale, and there were deep circles under his eyes. At first, they thought he was mourning her. And then, one night, he was gone.

It was hard for them to obtain permission to disinter her, but they got it. They hauled up the coffin and unscrewed the lid. Then they prized what they found out of the box. There was six inches of water in the bottom, the iron had colored it a deep, orangish red. There were two bodies in the coffin: hers, of course, and his. He was more decayed than she was.

Later, someone wondered aloud how both of them had fitted in a coffin built for one. Especially given her condition, he said; for she was very obviously very pregnant.

This caused some confusion, for she had not been noticeably pregnant when she was buried.

Still later they dug up her got one last time, at the request of the church authorities, who had heard rumors of what had been found in the grave. Her stomach was flat. The local doctor told them all that it had just been gas and bloating as the stomach swelled, The townsfolk nodded, almost as if they believed him.

Black Phoenix's most disquieting scent: baby's breath and upturned soil.

I've been away from the forums for ages, but I just had to come back for this happy.gif

In the bottle: rich, wet, black dirt, perfect for planting. Or digging.

Wet on skin: The dirt sweetens immediately, but it's not "floral", per se. It's still rich dirt, but there's a sharp, sweet green-ness to it now. Not fresh green, though; old green, like roots or something.

Drydown: Stays very much the same. The dirt gets a touch softer & actually smells dryer without being dusty. The green sweetness calms down & blends in perfectly. My favorite stage!

Throw is not too strong, but it lasts all day on me & is very consistent. A strange & lovely scent! :wub2:

To me, I don't really get dirt. I get something that smells like coconut and a white floral. Yup, definitely coconut.

Odd.

Vampire Tarot: The Lovers - This goes on as strong, heavy, wet, loamy soil. However, as it starts to warm up on my skin, the scent of baby's breath takes over and the dirt moves into the background. I absolutely adore the baby's breath -- I don't know if it's used much in BPAL, but it should be used more! It's soft and sweet and not overtly floral. It's just so pretty! It's an interesting combination, the baby's breath and soil. I'm generally not a fan of dirt scents, so this isn't something I'd ever reach for, but it's also not remotely as frightening as I initially thought it would be. I just can't get over how pretty that baby's breath note is!

I was really excited to try this, because I love floral + dirt scents, like The Premature Burial. Dirt + floral combos tend to smell dark, exotic, and amazing to me.

In the vial, this smells a lot like the dirt in The Premature Burial - black, damp soil. I don't smell anything floral or anything taking away from the earth scent.

On my skin, this morphs into black soil with equal parts of something sweet, soft, and powdery/creamy. Almost like a powdery, cool vanilla. It does remind me of clusters of tiny, white, sweet scented flowers.

The Lovers reminds me a lot of Perle von Mauren (which I love), so it seems that the baby's breath is reminding me of heliotrope's vanilla-y powderiness. This is just more cool smelling than heliotrope is to me.

Very pretty, and I think I'll splurge and get a full bottle of this. :smilenod:

In the decant: Dirt that's all wet and loamly, with the baby's breath flower growing near-by.

Wet: The floral note is dominating, whilst the soil softens and recedes.

The dry-down: Soft dirt and light florals, with an almost sweet note about it.

Huh. Dirt is usually a winning note on me, but here, it's not really coming out to play.

In the bottle: baby powder -- sweet and soft.

Wet on wrist: ditto. I'm thinking that's the baby's breath floral, it's really amping as sweet baby powder on me. Surprisingly no dirt, which is sort of sad for me since I love dirt. (Think Futurama: "DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY!!!")

On the drydown: Yup, floral baby powder. Maybe the loam/soil will reveal itself later-later-later?

Throw: heavy.

Wet, this is pure dirt and loam, but it quickly (within ten minutes) sublimates into a soft, pillowy, dry white note that's almost but not quite floral, almost but not quite vanilla. It's definitely powdery, but never cloying the way many floral notes go on me. Underneath remains the faintest cool, slightly (yes) disquieting layer of dry loam.

Very interesting! I didn't expect to like this one, but I do. It's very goth baby powder. :lol:

Edited by bheansidhe

Rich life-like dirt note with an undercurrent of soft florals. It's simple, but very appealing. I enjoy dirt scents, and this one is no exception!

I have never smelled baby's breath in a scent, and that combined with the description that it was the Lab's most "disquieting scent" made it a must try for me!

Wet: Yes, quite haunting indeed! The soil note is mixed with what I associate with the Lab's "decay" note, which is a bit spicy and lovely. Vague, slightly dusty florals add to the haunting quality. I like it even more than I expected to. It smells like walking through a cemetery (or at least gives that feeling).

Dry: Earthy, spicy, sweet and slightly floral. Still has that haunting quality. Reminds me a little of Penny Dreadful, but I think I like PD better. I do really like this though, and am glad I got to try it finally!

In the decant: Baby’s breath and dark, upturned soil.

Wet: Soft baby’s breath and dark, moist grave soil. The baby’s breath is sweet and drifts over the upturned earth.

Dry: The baby’s breath isn’t as sweet before. It is now rather powdery. Beneath it, I can smell the damp earth. There’s a bit of a sour tang to the scent now, so I think there are some herbs in the soil that are going sharp on me. I prefer the wet phase of the scent.

Eventually, this ends up being a spiced and herb-filled soil.

Verdict: I am really glad that I got to do a proper test of this one! I do not need a bottle of this, as there are other dirt scents that I appreciate more, but it was nice to be able to try it.