BPAL Madness!

Hibiscus, matcha, white musk, and lime.

I apparently cannot smell lime? Anyway, to me this is hibiscus and white musk, with a tiny bit qof green tea hiding underneath. The hibiscus is tart and bright, really refreshing. Great hot weather scent!

First on: Hello Lime!! I've never had such an incredible urge to lick my wrists. Actually, it doesn't taste horrible but I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

After drying down the lime is still there but everything else starts to come out. I can definitely pick out the musk and the green tea and the hibiscus makes it very tangy. It reminds me of a much nicer version of the high street perfume 'Ghost'. It's a lovely scent just not for me.

In the imp: VERY strong lime and hibiscus

Wet: The musk is coming to life, and the lime has softened.

Dry: On the dry down it turns out to be a nice, well-blended combination of hibiscus, lime, and a little bit of musk. Very lovely! Probably more appropriate for warmer months.

I tested this on my bf. SO NOT FOR HIM lol. This scent dried to pledge and baby powder. From there it faded to just baby powder and then disappeared almost completely.

I tried this one and no baby powder on me but pledge comes up for me too.

Oh well, in my scent locket still reminds me of pledge so it is first to my swapping pile.

Edited by archergrl

In the imp: Musk and lime.

On skin, wet: Mainly musk, with just a hint of lime.

On skin, dry: Still pretty much just musk and lime. There's a soapy note, I think, but it's very faint.

After an hour: The soapiness went away, thankfully. But it stays musk and lime, with no trace of the matcha. *sadness*

In the imp and fresh on: I can really smell the lime in this! Too bad it won't last.

Drydown: Yep, there went the lime -- my skin eats BPAL citrus for breakfast. Oddly, I'm not getting much hibiscus either. What I am getting is slightly bitter; perhaps that's the matcha.

Long-term: The hibiscus comes out more strongly after a while, and blends well with the sweetness of the white musk. But there's no throw at all, and it's not a strong scent even on my skin. Staying power is about average -- 12 hours and it's nearly gone.

Bottom line: Not a bad scent, but nothing noticeable or memorable about it, and the opening could be more pleasant. Swap pile.

First Sniff: Soup, fresh and clean, but a bar of soap nonetheless.

Wet: Soap, although I can catch a hint of the lime. The soap seems citrusier now.

Dry: The lime becomes much more prominent on the dry down although it smells a bit like lemon to me. (I’m not sure on the scent difference between lemon and lime, they are similar citrus flavors after all.) Once it dried completely, the lime mellowed out a bit, but it’s still very much a citrus scent. There’s also something soft in this, the matcha perhaps? Once it dried completely, it was a nice overall scent; soft yet with that lime bite underneath.

My Reaction: This was a frimp and I’m not sure what I was expecting with this one, although I did cheat and read the Wiki entry on Ehecatl the Aztec god so I was thinking light and flowery with some ozone for his wind association I suppose. It’s very different than any other scent I have from the lab and definitely reminds me of tropical drinks like margaritas. After about 15 minutes it faded but then seemed to come back, if softer, weird! Not something I need a bottle of, but it would be interesting to use this to be different than my usual scents occasionally.

Rating 1-5: 2

Heavily lime in the imp with maybe a touch of musk. On the skin, the musk is more pronounced and it's a very juicy lime. I think I'm beginning to catch hints of the hibiscus. Very slightly soapy but in a clean, soft way not an overwhelming soapy way I've come to expect from some of the lab's citrus notes. This is really quite lovely. A slight tropical feel, I can picture a dense rainforest and spritzing fresh lime juice into a drink. I can see the comparisons to Shanghai but that was more of a lemonade or lemony tea. This one has more depth. I don't think I'd reach for it often but I do like it.

EHECATL

This was another "blind test" of a freebie, made before seeing the name on the label.

In Vitro Sharp and sweet, nothing I could identify.

Wet Lemon, plus something else, another citrus. Not strong. I decided it wasn't lemon, or not just lemon, but I couldn't decide exactly what. It faded very quickly but I did detect something "under" the citrus.

Drying Half an hour on the scent was very faint and the citrus was joined by... soap? Hard to say, and not offensive in any case.

I figured it was gone and went for a thirty minute walk followed by a leisurely breakfast. Almost two and a half hours after application I absently sniffed my wrist and was surprised by a completely different scent, some mild and very faint base note. That too was gone soon thereafter.

Looking at the entry for Ehecatl I see I wasn't too far off. I don't know what hibiscus smells like and I assume matcha is green tea which I like very much. The white musk in this blend behaved very differently on me than the musk in Robin Goodfellow, so evidently they're not all the same, thank goodness. In summation I am very pleased with this one even though it fades rapidly; I can use it more as aromatherapy than as a day scent.

First on, wet: citrus household cleaner, but top-grade: fresh, cheerful.

Drydown: strong lemon and rose. I know these are not in the listed notes, but my skin chemistry is pretty dumb sometimes.

Far drydown: faint household cleaner.

Overall: not me at all.

In imp and first on: Very, very green. Mostly lime, with a touch of hibiscus and a bit of bitterness from the matcha that quickly mellows.

5 minutes: The floral goes WHOOSH and devours this scent whole. It gets very perfumey, a bit powdery at times. But it’s nice, even though it smells a bit like a mainstream perfume. There’s an undercurrent of very pleasant vanilla-like musk, smooth and sweet.

10 minutes: The lime rises to the top again, followed by the white musk, swimming in that perfumey hibiscus floral. It’s heavier than I’d expect, since it’s named after a god of wind, but that might be because floral perfumes often strike me as heavy, personally.

30 minutes: At this point it either gets a bit powdery, maybe from the matcha – strangely reminded of non-sweet lime pixie sticks – or, it gets less powdery, and the hibiscus blossoms into something a bit more fruity and lush.

1 to 3 hours – Regardless of which way it goes, it’s nice at this point. It does remind me of a fairly normal, feminine, floral perfume. Nice, with the tropical and musk qualities, but just… perfumey.

3.5 hours – Less overtly perfumey at this point. Mostly a mildly sweet musk, a bit of hibiscus, and a bit of mild limey-ness. Fairly impressive the citrus lasted so long, really.

I do think this could be quite pretty on a woman, but I am not she. I like it enough, however, that I’m reluctant to part with the imp. Might hold onto it in case I ever decide to do drag. Or, until I can find an appropriate woman to give this to. That’s what I’m more likely to tell people. :lol:

Summary: Like a very nice, commercial perfume. Lingering lime top note over lots of pretty hibiscus. Undercurrent of a soft, sweet, vanilla-like musk. Can go powdery, and floral is quite heady. Upbeat, springy, and feminine.

Rating: 3.25/5

(but not for me)

In the Imp (ITI): Oh, I like it. The lime is bitter, yet sweet when paired with the white musk. I don't get anything other than those two notes.

Wet: Bright lime, sweet hibiscus, hints of dried green tea and musk. Oh, this may go in the "to buy" category.

Dry: I agree with my husband. It's a very clean, pure scent. I think it would be wonderful for summer or spring. I get hibiscus, gentle while still lightly fragrant, a touch of warmth from the white musk, and a round sweet quality from the matcha.

Wet: Soft, subdued lime.

Drydown: Gentle lime with white musk and a hint of a light floral.

Dry: Soft, grounding green tea with the barest hint of lime and powdery white musk. It reminds me of green tea ice cream. Gentle and sort of fluffy.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Imp: It smells like lime popsicles. :lol:

Wet: Lime scented dryer sheets and soap. :( Yikes, giving me a headache.

Dry: As it dries, it veers away from dryer sheets and soaps.

Drydown: The lime has faded, it's pretty much all powder and florals now. This is too girly for my liking.

Edited by ioleda

I think I'm mostly getting the hibiscus, and machta - the lime comes through, but it's neon-green and juicy and not sharp at all. I'm really loving this scent for summer - it's a tropical, light floral that doesn't get heady the way some of the others I've tried has. And! It last through immersion in salt water (which is important because I work at an aquarium). Definitely a keeper! I'd buy a big bottle... if I didn't already have 5 imps! :wub2:

I get mostly hibiscus and lime and a lot of staying power. I used up my imp in about two weeks because I was wearing it as much as I could! It's perfect for hot summer days, very crisp and just tropical enough without seeming muggy or humid.

Edited by IambicDearie

In the bottle - Bright zesty lime with a tonic like undertone

Wet on me - A black tar sort of scent and soap

Dry on me - A clean woody musk scent with hints of tobacco

Overall - Whilst it's not really my cup of tea, I did enjoy this much more than I expected

Wow, this is almost all lime on me while wet and during the first stages of the drydown. Fruits can go candy on me so of course this smells like a lime lollipop, haha. It's not bad though, it's actually pretty nostalgic. Our local bank used to give out lollipops when I was a kid and every time I went with my mom I'd get a lemon or lime lollipop. :-)

As it dries, there's a bitter touch of matcha and a thin blanket of white musk which deepens the blend overall and softens the edges of the candy smell. Later on the hibiscus emerges, and while it's rather faint it adds a lovely floral sweetness that further reduces the candy smell.

I quite like this! I think it's a little too childish for regular wear, and it's not really a me sort of blend, but I think this will be nice for sunbathing in the yard on hot summer days. Glad I got an imp before it was DC'd. :D

A bright white scent, with loads of sharp lime and a rather pointy musk. This blend is a kick in the pants! Pretty quickly calms down into a fresh, clean, much softer laundry scent with citrus around the edges.

It's really tropical lime. Very strong citrusy lime and some really pretty hibiscus. This is a perfect summer scent because everything balances so perfectly and feels incredibly fun. The musk is there and it keeps everything stitched together, but the real star is the lime. I am absolutely a fan and I may need to hunt down some more.

Citrusy tropical flowers. I get the comparisons to Shanghai and Embalming Fluid, but whereas the latter went cleaning fluid on me (which is what I predicted for Ehecatl when I smelled it in the imp) and the formed lasted about 38 seconds, Ehecatl has some staying power, and the lime and matcha keep it out of Lemon Pledge territory. The musk is a little sharp, in keeping with this bright summery scent.

In the imp: I’m getting tons of white musk with some lime and hibiscus.

Wet: The white musk is still very strong on me, but I’m also getting more lime and hibiscus on my skin. It’s veering into soap territory on me, sadly, thanks to the white musk being so strong, but behind the soapiness, I get the tart hibiscus and lime.

Dry: Okay, the white musk has calmed down somewhat, the hibiscus is a little softer than before, and I am still getting the lime note. I can also smell the matcha now.

After a while, it ends up being a clean hibiscus and matcha scent with a touch of lime. I prefer this phase of the scent.

Verdict: The white musk in this was just way too strong for me, sadly. This isn’t for me, but it was nice to be able to try it.