BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

Galvanic Goggles prototype

I won this in an ebay auction from the lab. :)

Sniffed: Slightly soapy balsam and cologne with a bright floral (not tobacco flower I don't think) - it smells almost identical to the released version, except there is a dark slighty woody sweetness below - maybe frankincense, or vetiver? I find this a bit less metallic/sharp than the released version.

Wet: Sweeter and almost smoky - definitely some sort of woody dark resin, and I get something like maybe wormwood or sassafras, a slightly medicinal herbal thing, as well as what I'm quite sure is vetiver. Maybe some tobacco? A bit less soapy than the released.

Dry: This has a warmer feel than the released and it's more sharply floral in a way that verges on giving me a headache - narcissus maybe, or a type of gardenia? I don't get any metal notes at all now, if I ever really got them in the first place. Lots of rich sexy musk emerging, and it's the same Indian musk.

Later: Definitely vetiver (though a well-behaved one!) and I strongly suspect frankincense. Loads of rich Indian musk in the drydown with milder bright white floral that's become slightly sour - I do think it's gardenia, and it's not a bully, but it's also the type that makes my head hurt.

Summary: This is more intense than the released version and more distinct (though still clearly a relative) on drydown; it's muskier, has much less balsam, is much more floral, is sweet and woody, and is overall less-well blended and sophisticated in feel. The most noticeable differences are the vetiver, frankincense and gardenia notes, and the missing tobacco flower.

Insane throw and tremendous lasting power, many times the released which is itself a very potent oil.

I do prefer the released version (which is my all-time favourite perfume for men), but I like this one as well and think it would be fantastic on the right man. That Indian Musk is just an incredible note, and it's even stronger here. I also like the vetiver, which is very smooth, truly beautiful vetiver - not the bullying sort that many people dislike. I couldn't wear this personally because of the frankincense (not a note I enjoy), and the particular gardenia note, but this is not a GARDENIA SN sort of blend and is something that I'd bet many of the gardenia-wary would be able to enjoy.

Edited by fairnymph

I originally posted my review in the Galvanic Goggles review thread.

The prototype to me was much more cologne like (more florals), with sharper musk and a hint of leather in it. Agreed with the vetiver, and how this is more of a 'sketch', as opposed to the released version.