BPAL Madness!
Yvaine

Josie

Heady magnolia and honeyed peaches.

On: Bright, sweet peaches and pretty magnolia.
3 hours in: Floral and fruity. This is really well-blended, so it's hard to pick out the separate notes.
4 hours in: Floral and sweet, but there's something going vegetable-y on me.
8.5 hours in: Powdery and a bit sweet.
Overall: This didn't really work on me.

I was very nervous buying Josie unsniffed, as both peach and magnolia are notes I'm not very familiar with in the BPAL world. In the vial and even more so on my skin, it smells like Herbal Essences conditioner. :cry2: I had such high hopes for you Josie, but smelling like cheap hair products is not what I was aiming for. Unfortunately, I don't think aging will help these notes. I'll keep her for awhile, but I think she will be moving on.

Very relieved, another of The District girls that I LOVE.

On first opening the bottle it was kind of wow, fruity peachy pineappley what the...

But on the skin it is amazing and unique, fresh fruit that turns to sweet honey, very good. Very summer.

Edit : My husband loves this, I can't get his nose out of my neck when I wear it. I like to layer it with Zarita, to give it more depth.

Edited by stellamaris

Wet: Honey and magnolia. Oh my gods I am in heaven. If Josie stays anywhere near close to this, I will need at least 4 backup bottles pronto.

Drydown: Honey, magnolia, and the peach starts to peek through. YES.

Dry: Honey and magnolia and peach in equal parts. Yes. Yes. YES. YES!!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

Verdict: Out of all the scents I've tried since finding BPAL in May, Josie is the first to make me want backup bottles. When the Weenies go up, a bottle of Josie will be coming along to keep them company.

in bottle: Heavy, sweet, syrupy fruit, followed by heady magnolias. A little boozy. Fairly strong throw.

wet: Magnolia takes the forefront, with the honeyed peaches close behind. The two scents swirl around each other. I immediately get the image of afternoon sun shining on the polished wood floors of a southern plantation-style house. Average throw.

drydown: Throw gets stronger, but scent stays much the same. A hint of smoke after a while.

verdict: Definitely not a scent for a place where perfume needs to be discreet. This perfume is as big as a southern belle's hoop skirts. The scent is pleasant, but not a must-have for me.

In the vial: Peachy florals. Very yummy.

On skin, wet: Dang. Soapy peaches.

On skin, dry: Only faint whiffs of peach remain, now it's pretty much all SOAP, all the time.

After an hour: Same as the initial drydown. This is definitely not a winner on me, despite my hopes.

Magnolia and honey with peaches in the background. This is the smell of Georgia, if a state could be a smell.

My only regret is that this is more magnolia and less peach than I'd hoped, and this would be greatly enhanced with vanilla and/or cream, but this is great, it really is.

In the bottle:

Smells heady and floral with a, "stickiness".

Wet on skin:

The Magnolia is front and center, I've never actually smelled a magnolia, but I've seen them and this smells of a big, heavy, white blossom with thick petals. I get the feeling of warmness and air thickened by humidity, like walking through Savannah, Georgia during the late afternoon in the middle of summer. There is a fruitiness, it's indistinct, but it's definitely ripe and golden. Then the honey is there smooth and dripping over everything.

Dry on skin:

10-30 min.- The magnolia is still the main scent but it's become a more rounded and, IMO, everything a large southern flower should be. The ripe fruit is there lending a sweetness, and the honey is warming everything up.

30 min on- The magnolia has started to calm becoming a nice, plays-well-with-others, floral, while the honey is more pronounced it's becoming sour and plastic like , the fruit never gained any ground on me it just seemed to play a supporting roll.

Verdict:

I like the scent, it seems very summer in the south to me. I do not care for the final dry down but I'll chalk that up to chemistry and the honey, I seem to have a problem with the honey notes. I will try it again in a few weeks and see what happens.

I have been looking for a magnolia scent and I have finally found it. :luv2:

This is a very heady magnolia on me. At first I got alot of honeyed peaches and I was worried that this would be too sweet for me. After 10-15 minutes or so the magnolia really comes out and the peaches move to the background. I think this smells better after it has been given a bit of time to settle in your skin. This reminds a bit of Hells Belle - because they both have magnolia.

Edited by becca_s

This was worrying at first given that it was like being suffocated by magnolias. So I put it aside and forgot about it for a year, right after wondering why on earth I bought a bottle after trying it once at a will call. But I rediscovered it a few months ago and I'm glad I did. Maybe it's because it aged or maybe my chemistry changed a little because now it really works on me. It's all sorts of exotic and filled with big waxy flowers, cloying in a sultry, warm kinda way. It's mostly magnolia with (which smells so similar to a gardenia to me, and I didn't check to see if they're in the same family or anything) some sweet muskiness filling in around it. The peach isn't strong, it seems to be melded into the honey-musk so that I can't pick it out too easily. I think I'll wear it more in the summer because it does feel like a scent that'll glow in the heat.

Simple and splendid! It smells very authentic to me, and while I can see the hair products comparison, to me Josie smells more expensive, this belle will cost you.

This scent to me is seasonal, it's all about spring and summer, warm weather, cool drinks and flirting.

This is a floral my fiancé actually likes :-)

Josie is sitting under a magnolia tree in the sun, eating a slightly honeyed, ripe peach. Win!

I tested this at ECCC right off the bat as it was the only scent on my "to try" list that was available to sample (boohoo).

It is a very sweet peach. On my skin this peach is just no good. It's amping (so no magnolia, sad) and it isn't a juicy fresh peach, it's a waxy candle peach. I smell like waxed fruit. I'm beginning to think that I just can't wear stone fruits, they are all cloying and off smelling.

I can imagine in my mind's nose a wonderful fresh sparkly sweet floral peach that I would love to wear, but my skin is just not cooperating.

I'm sorry Josie.

Tzi

Eta: this does have wonderful throw and staying power to last through my attempt to wash it off.

Edited by tziporra

Oh this stuff is divine. It's everything I love in a scent! The description of being "heady" is quite true. It's got throw like whoa. Not a 'light' or "sheer" type of smell. It's smack you upside the head stuff. It's very well balanced on me. I can easily pick out the notes of honey, magnolia, and peach. The honey and peach together give it an almost boozy aspect and the magnolia keeps it from smelling like candy. Sooooo goooood.

In the imp, a well balanced fruity floral, so well balanced I have trouble picking out individual notes. On my skin, it's mainly magnolia with a hint of sweetness from the peach and honey. If this series is based on a bordello, this is definitely your elegant, expensive courtesan. Perfect sillage, and I only have to re-apply once per day. So glad I splurged on a bottle as it's one of the few I can wear in the summer.

Wet: This is all magnolia. Hoping the peach will show up to the party!

Dry: Still just so much magnolia. It's a bit frustrating, as there is this gorgeous juicy peach note buried in there, but it's totally overwhelmed by the magnolia, which it turns out I don't really like. *sigh*.

I was so excited to try Josie. The scent description is lovely and I am a huge fan of Magnolia and all the beautiful scents of the South. Unfortunately, my skin does not bring forth the heady magnolia I was hoping for. I've only tried two scents that have turned synthetic or "plasticky" on me. Snow White and this one. I guess peach is now headed to my list of notes to avoid. I think that this is a matter of skin chemistry, and Josie could be so lovely on someone else. I have just tried this fresh out of the mailbox, so I will definitely give it another try to see if things change.

Peach...ish in the bottle. Like I can't decide if it's peach flesh, nectar, or blossom, or something fake. Goes on as a peach nectar with floral overtones, which is okay. Eventually fades to a honey, and the whole thing is gone in an hour. Pleasant, but I have better peaches elsewhere.

Ah this is lovely. Wet it is peach nectar and honey. It warms on the skin and the magnolia comes forward. The peach is still there giving this a little sweetness, but it is definitely a magnolia scent at heart. I've been looking for a good 'Southern' floral - not too fancy and a little sweet - and Josie fits the bill perfectly.

Creamy, honey-sweet magnolia and just a tinge of peach. Gorgeous, just wish the throw was a little stronger on me.

Vial: PEACHES!! Floral tones.

Skin: PEACHES! And Floral. Peach is so strong at first, it's fantastic.

Drydown: Floral takes hold quickly - but it's a really beautiful floral. Maybe florals are growing on me. Heady magnolia for sure - it's thick and cool, soft and wet, doesn't give me that "floral sneeze" that jasmine does. I'm not very floral-savy since I hate 90% of them. But this is really lovely and easy to wear. It's just ALL peaches and magnolia. I was worried the "honey" aspect would take over, but it's just keep things sweet.

Verdict: Cool thick sweet white floral and juicy light peaches.