BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

Nutmeg, warm and spicy, right out of the gate! As it dries down, it starts to sweeten up, and I can make out the pumpkin and clove, too. God, I know July’s just begun, but this scent makes me want autumn to happen. Right! Now! I want to wrap myself up in a heavy coat I don’t actually own and complain about cold weather I was dying for just a few weeks earlier. I want to start knitting and baking like a witch getting ready to hibernate. I want to dive headfirst into a pumpkin pie.

It keeps on getting sweeter, but it’s a very light, almost syrupy kind of sweet—definitely the peach. Seeing that note really threw me off the first time I tried it, but now that I’ve been wearing it a while, I think it’s the peach that makes this scent really stand out. It gives Jack that glowing aura that makes it more than just pumpkin spice, all liquid and golden, like someone managed to pour the earliest part of an autumn sunset into a mug.

This makes me think of what I always imagined going to the local corn maze with my high school friends would be like, before I actually did it and realized both the corn maze and my high school friends were actually kind of shitty. It’s a pure distillation of the ideal fall, the hot drinks and heavy knitwear and fiery sunsets that guard you against the approaching chill.

If Jack were a person, it would be someone who wears worn-in flannel shirts and sturdy boots, someone who always has a hand-knit scarf to wrap around your neck and a pie waiting in the oven for you, someone who knows how to stoke a fire and make a hot toddy to banish the nastiest of colds. Warm and gentle and welcoming, in a way that verges on transcendent, with rough edges that only highlight the beauty they're framing.

(Bon Iver, is what I’m saying.

I’m saying that it would be Bon Iver.)

Edited by conflagrantThief

I really, really, really wanted this to work for me. I'd eyed it since my first order, but gone through several without trying it because the peach note put me off - I hate peach. But reading reviews convinced me that maybe it wasn't a major element and it would be worth trying, at least, since I so dearly wanted to have a nice, GC 'autumn in a bottle' to soothe my soul.

In the Imp: Okay, this seems good. Pumpkin, nutmeg, and an odd sensation of bakedness... This reminds me of the pumpkin muffins I sometimes bake in the fall! Promising for sure.

Worn: As it first dries down, I get wafts of that same baked pumpkin spiced muffin off of my wrist and arm as I move. Occasional hints of peach peek through, especially close to my skin, but they're not overwhelming and I'm hoping they'll fade out. So far, not perfect, but not bad!

Longer: Oh, no. :cry2: Every second that passes, the peach gets stronger and the pumpkin fades. Within a half hour, it's peach muffins, not pumpkin. In Jack's defense, it's a spiced peach, like a warm fruit tea, with nutmeg and clove that just barely edges it towards fall rather than spring. Overall, however, it's ripe, juicy peach.

I'm pretty sure that someone who likes peach would think this smells good on me - it's not an offensive scent at all, it's just a scent that I, personally, dislike, and apparently amp to high heaven, and it's not at all what I hoped for or wanted. So that's Jack for me... A lovely spiced-peach-tea scent, on someone who hates peach. :frustrated:

Oh well, when I have a chance, I'll pass the imp on to someone it does work on!

in the imp: boozy, spiced peaches

wet: peach with an undertone of some sort of sweet baked goods, like eating oatmeal while wearing the body shop peach lotion,

dry: it's peach lotion with a slight undertone of fake baked goods.