BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Rose

When they found that their father must take a journey to the ship, the two eldest begged he would not fail to bring them back some new gowns, caps, rings, and all sorts of trinkets. But Beauty asked for nothing; for she thought in herself that all the ship was worth would hardly buy everything her sisters wished for. "Beauty," said the merchant, "how comes it that you ask for nothing: what can I bring you, my child?"

"Since you are so kind as to think of me, dear father," she answered, "I should be glad if you would bring me a rose, for we have none in our garden." Now Beauty did not indeed wish for a rose, nor anything else, but she only said this that she might not affront her sisters; otherwise they would have said she wanted her father to praise her for desiring nothing.

The promise of a rose: red rose petals, fresh sap, and the sharp green scent of stem and leaf.

straight sniff from imp is a "dead ringer" for rose red of the yule LE version(s)....

once applied this a tad greener than rose red but just as gorgeous as ever!!!

amazingly fresh; exactly as a fresh rose smells ... i am in complete awe and a big bottle will
be on my next list.... :P Edited by Shollin
fixed BPAL tags --Shollin

I'm a big fan of BPAL's rose blends, in general, so I'm always happy to try a new one. This one had me swooning right from the first sniff. Some rose scents smell like ROSES, plural, a big bouquet or a rose garden in the sun. The Rose made me think of just one rose, the perfect rose, the rose you see just over the garden wall. The single perfect rose that, when you close your eyes and bury your nose in its velvety depths, you sigh with delight. This is The Rose you must take back to Beauty, even if it means incurring the wrath of the Beast.

Rose Red '05 and Two Five and Seven had a child and named her The Rose!

this is beautiful, and i must have a bottle! a clean, crisp heirloom rose... the hardy wood-like stem and sawblade-edged leaves, fresh air, blue skies, and fluffy clouds. How does Beth fit all that into these teeeny little vials?

In bottle/imp: Fresh, dewy rose and green stems.

Immediately on skin: This reminds me a lot of Rose Red, only the rose note is much rounder and soft. There’s a lot of green notes to this, plus a bit of soapiness.

After a little while: This softens so much as I wear it… it’s really melded nicely into my skin. I smell a very soft mixture of rose and green notes, but it’s blended nicely. I guess I’d say it’s like standing a foot or so away from a rose bush with the scent of the blossoms and some cut stems wafting towards you, but not right up close.

Overall Impressions: This is a lovely rose scent, and if I could compare it to anything else, I’d say it’s a softer, more delicate version of Rose Red. The rose in this is soft and very smooth, and while the green note is a little sharp at first, it quickly fades to something understated that balances out with the rose note. And I also have to say that out of all the bpal rose blends I’ve tried, this one seems the most realistic to me with that slightly watery, round scent that real roses have.

this is just lovely- very much the essence of a fresh cut rose in full bloom. i big, crisp, dewy one, dark red with perfect velvet petals. no sharp edge, no pungency, and no "candied" sweetness like i've found in a few other blends. in fact, i'm trying to compare it with rosy bpals that do work on me, and i'm contemplating de-stashing some (at least the backups) just to get this. going to have to play with this one for awhile i think...experiment with layering.

all in all a beautiful scent picture and one i predict will be a best seller, at least in the rose blends.

Veeeery interesting. BPAL rose and I do not always get along, and this one is one that I am not likely to be good friends with. It's a very lovely rose, as many have said, highly reminiscent of Rose Red, but with a sharper, tangier air that I presume comes from the sap. On me, this translates as a peppery feistiness that I just can't quite bring myself to love in an otherwise perfect rosy scent.

I'll be sticking with Rose Red, but I'm happy that this exists as a fresh-rose-style GC. :P!

As others have said - The Rose is very much like Rose Red, but softer and less chilly. I love rose, and I love The Rose, but with the bottle of Rose Red 08 that just arrived in the mail (and the Katrina von Tassel that's on its way) I won't be getting a bottle of this any time soon.

Still, this is lovely!

ETA: The Rose + O = Yummy sexy girly good

Edited by innocent

First impression: ...uh oh, this smells like Rose Red.

So in the imp and wet on my skin this smells like green apples and sappy stems and just a little bit of rose. It goes asplode on my skin, too, in a way that most BPAL scents do not. It reminds me a LOT of Rose Red, which ended up not working on my skin. I was sort of expecting that, in fact I was hoping this would be my "fresh, new blooming rose" scent since Rose Red didn't work out on me.

This tones down quite a bit with a little time, thank goodness. Eventually it does start smelling more like roses than like apples - the apple quality is similar to Rose Red, too. It's warmer than I remember Rose Red being, but other than that it is quite similar to my nose. (I do not have a terribly sophisticated nose, though.) In the extreme drydown, this is a lot like the rose note in Katrina Van Tassel, which is one of my favorite rose notes ever.

It's a very pretty rose, and I quite like it, I even love it in the extreme drydown - but I do have quite a few rose perfumes that I absolutely love from start to finish. Would definitely be good for layering with things that don't have quite enough rosey oomph!

In the imp: Rose Red! I'm glad that there is a blend on the GC comparable to the gorgeous LE!

Wet: Rose Red. Velvety, red rose petal. Although this isn't as crisp and green as Rose Red. Less stem and more rose in this one.

Dry: Not really Rose Red anymore. Turns powdery, doesn't stay crisp. I don't mind! This is really the one red rose, petals and stem somewhere in the background.

Overall: This turns very light. It's not as strong as Rose Red, but it's very, very similar. I might like this more actually. The crispness of RR bothers my boyfriend sometimes, so this might be a good replacement blend!! Will buy a bottle in the future.

Very similar to Rose Red, but The Rose is greener and fresher. The green aspect of this is a little too sharp on me and is getting progressively stronger, so Rose Red wins the battle of these two--BUT if you like Rose Red and need a close substitute once it's no longer available, this should work nicely!

In the imp: A frimp from the Lab in my last order--I love those Labbies! Although at first sniff it makes me think of Rose Red, due to the noticeable scent of fresh green stems, this smells like pink roses to me. It reminds me of the tender, soft petals of a pink rose just beginning to bloom.

Wet: Here's the part where I mention that rose almost always turns soapy on me (or, occasionally, smells like pickles), but that I keep trying rose scents because I'm stubborn. Even though I'm not a huge fan of roses, I was in a rose mood when I ordered my very first imp pack and the memory of my disappointment makes me keep trying. Anyway, there is a hint of soapiness when I first apply this, but for the most part it's staying rosy. It's a very soft scent, almost-but-not-quite powdery.

Dry: As it dries, I smell something just the tiniest bit spicy. The rose is becoming even fainter, more like a few scattered petals than a full, heady bloom. It kind of reminds me of rosewater, very light and clean. And it's still not going soapy. Well, hey! Look at that. Maybe I've found another of those rare rose blends that actually works on me. Of course, I'm just about hitting that time of the month, so even if this works, it may be a "one week a month" blend, but I'm okay with that. Slightly spicy rosewater, mmmm!

I find this to be a great substitute to Rose Red. It kinda reminds me to Rose Red, but greener and younger. More innocent. I think it might also have some apple blossom in it, because I get an almost green apple overtone to it.

Very pretty, and I don't like roses. Normally.

I'd definitely recommend this one as a rose blend though!

I agree with the other posters who said this smells a lot like Rose Red, but greener and fresher. It smells like fresh cut grass next to a ful, blooming rose bush. At times I'm afraid it's going to go soapy, but it stops just shy of it.

I love this. :wub2: It's a very happy blend.

This may be my first post here; I'm not sure! Bear with me if I get the format wrong. I got my first BPAL order (Earth Phoenix, which I love) and there was an imp of The Rose in with it. I was compelled to post because really, truly... wow. I was reluctant even to smell it, because I hate most "rose" scents and find them just really overbearing. I'm glad I overcame that because I opened it and it was like being socked in the gut with the desire for spring. It has the real, wet, vegetation green and delicate petal smell of actual roses. How did Beth DO that? I don't know how it smells on me yet but I don't care. I want my whole house to smell like this, now, in the midst of wintertime cabin-fever blues, while I dream about my roses setting buds in June and unfurling themselves in the sun.

Swoon. Really. I am in love.

In the imp: very wet, very cold, a chilled rose.

Wet: mostly the same as above, but starting to warm up a bit now that it is on my wrist.

The dry-down: a pure rose scent, light, not heady, still a little cool, might be a touch of powder there.

Two hours later: I keep wanting to sniff my wrist. :) It's become a very light scent, a bit more powdery, and maybe that hint of green that others in the thread have mentioned, but only very lightly.

Edited by thekittenkat

This is a crisp and fresh perfect rose, no doubt about it. Though it's gorgeous, I prefer the creaminess of Katrina Van Tassel and not the crispness that turns powdery, that I smell in this oil. (I noticed a previous reviewer mentioning wearing this with O and I couldn't agree more, it almost needs something else to smooth it out to be able to wear it nicely.)

I am debating whether to swap it or see how it ages, or use it as a back up for when I get through the rest of my 1/2 bottle of Katrina. Decisions, decisions! :wacko:

This doesn't smell like Rose Red at all to me...although I thought it would from the description! Wet, this smells like a tea rose with a bit of greenery. And dry...very strange, it starts smelling like rose tea! Rose with a green, herbal background that smells warm and wet, like tea. This is a beautiful, elegant scent, and not your typical rose. I like it!

ETA: Okay, I tried it on a second time (it disappeared!), and I get the Rose Red comparisons...but this is a light, pale tea rose with greenery, and not a voluptuous red rose. It smells so different to me! It's amazing what a different type of note can do.

Edited by savage_rose

I have to agree with the previous review....this initially starts out as green stem and rose..my nose is off..it actually smelled like green apples and rose in the imp. Blech...this has now become tea rose...which I CANNOT STAND...and greenery. The green smell is quite lovely...but tea rose...do not want! :ack:

I used to think that I hated rose scents, but now... :tongue:

After having the opportunity to try the Trading Post's atmospheric spray Queen's Croquet Ground, I went on a search to find an oil that smelled like that. This is that scent! It's a creamy sweet true rose - not old lady, and not smelly florist spray - and soft spring grass and leaves. It's playful and comforting and oh so delicious.

I don't get any greenery or sharpness from The Rose. Oddly, when I first apply this, all I can smell is apple. It smells like biting into a perfect, crisp, cool, bright red apple. Given a few minutes to settle, The Rose smells like the softest, pale pink rose mixed with crisp, sweet, red apple on me. After fifteen minutes or so, it takes on an added cool, clean quality that reminds me of Sleepy Moon's lavender.

This isn't green or overly rose smelling on my skin, and I normally amp up rose. I really love this blend and how it plays out on my skin. Whatever is in this is really working with my skin chemistry.

I definitely want a full bottle at some point.

--

My review after buying a bottle in early 2012: This smells nothing like the original sample that I have (that I got directly from the lab, and the bottle is also purchased directly from the lab). It looks like I've been screwed over with another 'variation' :(. My bottle of The Rose smells like perfumey, sour rose (it does remind me of Rose Red, which never works on me) that is dusty and bone-dry. It actually smells dirty and sour on my skin. Not happy at all with this one...

Edited by Little Bird

In the bottle – Wow, that really properly smells like a rose, not something that smells like a rose, but rose

Wet on me – Rose, but softer and less full on than in the bottle

Dry on me – Mostly it fades quite quickly, but I do get wafts of the rose

Overall – To me this smells more like a ‘traditional’ perfume than many of BPAL’s blends. The full on rose isn’t really something I would wear

The Rose

In the imp: very similar to Rose Red, but a lot warmer maybe? I do indeed smell stem and leaf.

Wet on skin: now I smell sharper, almost fruity nuances in this rose.

Dry on skin: ooh, I like this. It’s rose, pure and simple. Though quite different to Rose Red. It doesn’t have the icy smell to it, it’s not as dewy. This also smells a little more traditional, more along the lines of Peacock Queen, but a lot more wearable, less haughty. This is a delicate and warm rosebud scent, warmed by sunshine. There are interesting hints of fruit, almost like citrus, to it, sharper and drier rose elements too, as well as rose hips, stems and leaves. It actually smells just like smelling a real rose blooming. It reminds me of the rose gardens of Regent’s Park-in fact, this is the kind of rose scent I was hoping to get in Two Five and Seven.

After a while: instead of just fading away like it does in Rose Red, the rose here develops into a really nice clean rose scent. almost like a white rose under the red rose and a hint of clean linen, it’s become a lighter, breezier rose scent that smells fresh and delicate. There’s a hint of dry rose petals too but not as much of the stem and leaves-this is a purer floral.

Verdict: this smells just how I’d imagine the rose in the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast to smell. The sparkling glowing rose shedding it’s petals, the last one falls and the spell is broken. That’s what this smells like to me. it’s a pure, shimmering rose, warmer than Rose Red, and like in RR, I can smell all the parts of the rose as well as the flower. The rose note stays true for a good long time before turning to an almost linen-like scent, almost like clean sheets fragranced with rose…but it’s not soapy. This is a very beautiful scent-showcasing a rose in all it’s facets. Not a dry rose, not a dark rose, not a tea rose, not a rose-scented perfume type scent or even a rose essential oil single note, but a gentle, innocent and very natural rose scent, the smell of actually sniffing a rose in a garden-in liquid perfume form, now that’s art...magic, even.

Emoticon rating:

Is it a keeper? I think so. I may one day get a bottle.

If you like this, try: Rose Red, Peacock Queen, Two Five and Seven, London, Lucy’s Kiss

Got this as a frimp. ^_^

In the imp: lovely rose with just a hint of green sap.

On me: lovely, fresh rose. After about ten- twenty minutes it starts fading and all that's left is the green stem.

Overall: I'm sad that the scent doesn't last long, but it might stay longer in a scent locket. If it does, then I will definitely be getting a bottle of this.

In the bottle: Colourless oil. Fresh, fruity red rose with a hint of wet, new green leaves. Much like Rose Red 05 (*not* the other years, though).

Wet: Fruitier, almost like there is freesia or hyacinth in here along with the lush rose, or maybe a some rosehip fruit - it's tart and juicy, and not as floral as I expected.

Dry: It's staying fruity! And so, so fresh and youthful, not heavy or rich at all. There's a slightly soapy edge, but it's extremely mild and just make the blend clean, not gross.

Later: I agree with Z_Z's 'green apple' observation - although I think it's freesia that gives that feel. I think the cleanness maybe from a linen note - I'm reminded of Dirty.

Summary: The crispy, apple-y freesia is probably foremost, with some other sort of clean linen-y florals like plumeria, lush tea rose and citrusy rosehip behind, then more faintly some slightly dewy greenery. Lowish throw & longevity.

Unlike most rose scents on my skin, this fades a bit, and the rose doesn't bully the other notes. It's very youthfull and delicate in feel - not a HEY I'M HERE sort of scent a rose can be. More girlish. Definitely getting a bottle and this is now my favourite rose scent.

Edited by fairnymph