BPAL Madness!
Leopard403

Slippery Poppy Tincture

Poppy flowers, acai berry, and honey.

I know this has no pomegranate, but it always makes me think "THIS is what I wish pomegranate smelled like." Mainly this is a tart red fruit on me, more like red currant than anything else. It's neither sweet nor overly floral (in fact I can only pick out the floral notes now that I've had it on for several hours). Just crisp and tart. Lovely :)

In the imp this is tart and VERY green, almost grassy or sappy. Like the cut stems of flowers. I don't really pick up honey, and I'm assuming that the tartness comes from the acai berry. Bear with me, my sniffer isn't well trained yet.

Wet: This is a green assault on the nose. It's quite strong and LOUD. It's not unpleasant, but it's not a "wow, that's yummy scent" either. It will wake you up, that's for sure.

Dry: This doesn't really smell like poppies to me. To me, poppies smell like dirt. This smells like very strong, very tart spring grass.

Bottom line is, I'm not wowed by it. I always layer this with Opium Poppy and they make a very pretty almost commercial perfume together.

First impression is that this is a brightly red floral. A stemmy, polleny, stameny floral, not just the petals, it has that greenery in it too. In the background is the bright sweet tartness of the acai berry. The honey sweetens it just a bit without being overtly noticeable. This is springy, fresh, and lovely. It's a bright happy scent, it reminds me of a cool breeze on a fresh day through a field of flowers. Spring as it just barely begins to round the corner to summer. It's the spirit of April, bottled, (an April I've never experienced first-hand living in a desert but it's the idea of April). The poppies are a top/middle note. When they begin to fade it becomes slightly tart honey-sweetened acai. The throw is great and it lasts pretty much average for me, about 7ish hours or so. The color association is bright poppy red with slight orange undertone and the bright green of the stems. This was a surprise hit for me. I didn't expect to like this one nearly as much as I do!

All the poppies I've ever grown never had a scent, but I've had Arachnina in the past, and it did smell kind of incensey. This one is a fresh floral at first, almost like greenery with a bright edge to it. After a bit, more incense with the greenery, only it's a bit sharper now, and grower more bitter by the minute. Not my thing, but it really does smell like some kind of tincture that my mom used to make with her herbs.

Frimp from the Lab. Honey does not work on me, & I usually don't like berries, but I got this when I was still in my must-test-everything phase. Was not a keeper.

In imp: Berries, and something rather sharp?
Wet: Very sharp, dry grass. I don't mind grass usually but this is unpleasant, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Just a strange interaction of these notes? I'm not really sure what acai is supposed to smell like.
Dry: Powdery poppy & dried grass. Quite nice actually, but not worth that first stage on me. After half an hour or so the honey comes out a bit. Honey always smells rancid on me, so it is turning the "dried grass" rotten. Not good. Also getting slight bathroom air-freshener vibes.
End: Just a faint smell of dry meadow, actually rather like it now, but also pretty much gone after a couple of hours.

Edited by spikyfairy

In the imp, sweet florals. Wet on skin, florals with fruity candy. The candy-like quality fades as it dries. Another reviewer described this as "polleny", and I agree. It's soft! I'm not usually a floral fan but I like this blend. Surprise frimps are great for trying scents you wouldn't normally be interested in!

In the imp: Poppies, backed by some honey and acai berry.

Wet: The poppies reign on my skin, but I'm also getting a lot more of the acai berry than I did in the imp. The honey note is present, but it is not a main player on my skin.

Dry: The honey is stronger during this phase, making this a honeyed poppy scent, sweetened by the acai berries. Eventually, the acai berries end up overtaking the poppy note, so that it's a berry scent with a honeyed floral in the background.

Verdict: Berry scents are not my thing, but this was more pleasant than I thought it was going to be.

So, the interesting thing here is analyzing myself as much as the scent, because bottom line is that I like this one a lot.

But I didn't like New Orleans because the floral was too feminine. So what stopped this one from making me go 'ew, I smell like a girl and that's not right for me'?

Was it the berry note? Eat Me and Red Queen both have fruit notes I enjoy, though with Red Queen it's a top note that doesn't linger, whereas dementia_divine was very accurate in the assessment that Slippery Poppy Tincture goes from floral-forward to berry-forward.

Was it the honey? I love how I amp honey, and how it lingers on my skin--The Fool's Tranquility is a favorite, though it seems too simple to really satisfy me. So this, honey with other noticeable notes might be filling that yen.

Was it the nature of the floral? Wet and during drydown, there was as much cut-stem green scent as there was floral, and even when it did present, it was a very different floral than the honeysuckle and jasmine of New Orleans. Where those were big bold florals that ate up the bulk of my attention the whole time I was wearing the scent. Some people describe the floral in Slippery Poppy Tincture as red, but that isn't how my brain does floral scent -> color. There's nothing too in-your-face or eye-catching about this floral. It's just there, taking the foodie edge off the scent.

Low throw, long last--I can still catch it 12 hours later, sniffing my wrist. And I'm glad to.

In the imp: As described - bright, tart & sweet.

Wet on skin: The tartness of the berries has toned WAY down (though there is a berry-ish hint to it) & there's a tiny hint of beeswaxy-honey, but mostly this is just a REALLY pretty floral! Real life poppies don't smell anywhere near this nice!

Dry on skin: The beeswaxy-honey note has strengthened & the berries are more noticeable now, but it's still really pretty &... kinda spicy? It's amping a bit more than I was expecting, but it's not too potent.

After several hours: About the same as dry, except the beeswaxy-honey note has strengthened a little more, but it hasn't taken over.

Verdict: I really like this one. It's not as thrilling as some of my other BPALs, but I can see myself getting a fair bit of wear out of this one.